Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:31:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 230
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Having a few problems and need your thoughts/advise  (Read 15020 times)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Having a few problems and need your thoughts/advise
« on: November 21, 2006, 03:59:11 am »
Hi everyone

I have been having a few medical problems lately and yesterday was a bad day for me,  I was rushed into hospital with sever upper stomach pains, normally I have a high pain tolerance but yesterday it had me in tears..after a few good sucks on Enotox which did little for the pain they gave me 10mls of Morphine, after a while that did the trick, they took some bloods and wanted to keep me in, but I felt well enough to sign myself out.
Today hasn't been to bad just a few twinges here and there, my ID doc phoned earlier this evening with some of my results:

ALT..220..(normal range 0--40)
AST..294..(normal range 0--40)

I'm on 3TC..300mg once a day---and Ziagen 150mg once a day.
My CD4 is 1040
V/L is <50
Here is where I need your thoughts and advise, my Doc is talking about a drug holiday to see if there will be any change to my Liver functions while I'm off the meds..as you can see I'm in a really good place with my CD4's and V/L and know if I go on a drug holiday this will change..but if I don't there is no other way of knowing how it will affect my liver results...or is there?

At the moment I feel as if I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't..I'm also dealing with other medical problems (not HIV related) so I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment not to mention confused and I hate the fact that I can't deal with this on my own right now...so any suggestions or advise would be much appreciated.

Hugs to you all
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
Re: Having a few problems and need your thoughts/advise
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 04:09:18 am »
I just wanted to give you a hug Jan.

I'm sorry you've having a tough time lately healthwise. I know nothing when it comes to meds, side effects and test results...but I know how crap it feels to feel crap! As you know there are plenty on here who will be able to advise you accordingly from their experiences.

I just wanted to give you a hug.
And wish you better of course.
Promise I'll hold my breath and not breathe my germs on ya, hon!

(((((((Jan)))))))

Melia :-*
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 04:10:03 am »
Hello Jan, Sorry to hear about your troubles, I don’t feel qualified to offer advice, but I will send you good wishes and hugs.

Take care,
John(UK)

Offline fearless

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 04:34:34 am »
hey Jan,

I'd say give the drug holiday a go. with numbers like yours you have a pretty good buffer, and you can't go on feeling like crap.
but don't rush into it. take some time to think about it. see what others think. take some deep breaths and try to relax. do what is right for you.
Sending all my love.
Little Steve
ps i'll send you the latest baby pics tomorrow to cheer you up a little.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 06:01:30 am »
Hi Jan,

Well, you know I am not one to give medical advise, but in your case I will.  I think you are fine with taking a medication break, as you have not been infected for all that long, and you have  a load of leeway when it comes to your HIV numbers.  I can tell you that when taking all these meds that your liver will have the chance of getting really screwed up, and we all know you can live without meds for awhile, but the liver is another story.  I also see you are not on a total cocktail, as you are missing a PI, and when talking about HIV meds, there is no "HIV lite".  I would highly recommend that you go ahead and stop the meds now, and just watch the numbers.  If you fall too low, you can always start again, but I would steer clear of these two drugs when you do.  Your CD4s are at a very healthy state at this point, and I would think that your body will do quite fine without meds now.  You are active, you eat right and you don't harbor stress; so I say let the meds go!

Glad to see you came out of this incident OK, and hope you have nothing left over from it.

In Love and Support.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 06:20:36 am »
Hey Jan,
    I'm sorry you're suffering.  My first regimine made me nauseous and gave me stomach pain - it's no way to live.  A couple observations:  your numbers would seem to permit a holiday, provided they were above 350 when you started treatment.  You'll need the buffer as things will probably go south number-wise off the drugs; also in your list of drugs, I see no mention of a protease inhibitor or nnrti, guess you don't need one.  The drugs your taking seem rather toxic compared some newer combos - like Truvada.  Time for a break, give your liver a breather and then consider a newer therapy combo.  Hugs,
Ernie

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 06:27:46 am »
Jan, sorry to hear that your levels are so high. If I had your CD4 count I would take a break. Since they are going to be monitoring you, I don't see a problem. Wishing you well and I hope that you get to feeling better.

Rodney

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 06:49:37 am »
Jan,  (goodness, I was tired when I started this message this morning!)

A holiday probably wouldn't hurt, specially with your counts so good.  It sucks to not feel good, and if the holiday will help to determine if it's the meds, then I'd say give it a go.  I took a drug holiday that lasted 2 years, and I have to say it was nice to not have to worry about scripts and the time of day to take the meds.

However, just be forewarned that when the time comes to go back on meds, you may feel a little disappointment.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Be well. :-*
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 08:15:07 pm by IzPoz »
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 07:07:35 am »
Jan,

Just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 08:29:11 am »
Sorry to hear you are having problems. I do not know enough about drug holidays to properly advise you but I do hope everything works out for you. Oh and what Moffie said sounds good..We can't live without our livers and I don't think the doctors would let me give you some of mine so take good care of the one you have. Love, Cristy

Offline Longislander

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 08:42:27 am »
I've only got a hug and a kiss for you   ((( :-*))).

I know more good advice will pop up here very soon for you.
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 09:01:54 am »
Jan,
(not sure why you’re only on 2 nukes, nor why the half dose with the ziagen..? Heard of 150mg 2x/day used, in people with liver impairment, but not heard of 1x/day)

Alt/ast consistently >2.5x upper normal limit (without explanation), most dr’s will start to get a bit concerned. Your alt’s, at 3.7x uln (60), are less of a worry than the ast’s - 6.8x uln (43). I don’t know what your liver function normally is, nor what else might be going on health-wise, so it’s hard to say how much of an effect a break will have (or what role meds are playing - ziagen and 3tc are, usually, relatively easy on the liver)

assuming this isn't just a one off result..
Treating/removing the underlying cause of the liver elevations will calm things down - if this is nuke related (ie, summat like fatty liver/steatosis etc, quick ultrasound would check this) then stopping should sort this. If it’s related to some other health issue (which, from your post, I’m guessing it is..?) then stopping for a bit will at least give your body 2 less things to process, so should still help.

Your other numbers, are excellent, so can withstand a break - you may only need to be off meds for  a very short while, anyway.

Please do get your dr to give you some adequate pain relief for home..

Take care - sorry I can’t be of more help.  kate x
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 09:12:57 am by penguin »

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 09:09:00 am »
Jan

Have they ruled out other possibilities for the elevated liver #s?  Hepatitis or something else?

With your numbers I can't see any serious risk to taking a break, with close observation obviously.
You've got plenty of wiggle room in that area.

I don't have much else to offer except I don't like seeing you in pain and distress.  So I'll be anxious to hear what you decide and whether or not it's bringing you any relief.

Please keep us posted.

RAB

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 10:04:53 am »
Hi Jan -

I think a break would be fine and better yet, you can wait on the sidelines as less toxic drugs shake out of the pipeline.  Rab is right in determining other possibilities.  Perhaps there's something environmental going on that's not directly ingested?

If you do take a break, make sure you check out milk thistle, whey proteins, lipoic acid and other things to help your liver heal. 

I will keep you in my thoughts.  I know this is a big fear we all have but you're in a strong position to overcome this. 

Jason (btw, I'm glad you connected the dots w/ who I am  :))

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 10:08:29 am »
Honey, I'm worried about you.   To know that you are in pain just kills something inside of me....

I agree with Tim and Rocky, I think it would be fine for you to go on a treatment interruption (drug holiday).   My friend Kevin has recently had to do this, as his liver enzymes were all screwed up.   

I'm just wondering if and how this is all connected with your other medical issues.   Maybe Gerry will give some advice here.    Take care of yourself honey, you know I love you....

sending warm hugs and kisses,

Alan   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Dan J.

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 10:17:10 am »
((((((((((((((((((JAN)))))))))))))))))))

I really can't offer any advice here but I wanted to let you know I am thinking of you. Hope your pain subsides and that the Doc can find out what is going on.  I hope you feel better VERY SOON.

I LOVE YOU,

Dan :-*

Offline randym431

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 11:00:22 am »
I too am thinking of you Jan. And we have a little connection that makes you feel very near.
I do hope this passes as fast as it came on, as these things do sometimes.
Sounds like you're basically on epzicom, that I also take, plus I add in sustiva (or they do).
A monitored holiday should be ok. If its your current meds messing with the liver, then maybe a switch is a possibility?
Also if you take other "off the shelf" things like tylonel or ibprofin, those alone can do a job on the liver.

Just do what the old doc says, and know a lot of us out here are thinking of you and sending feel better wishes.
Randy
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 11:01:11 am »
Jan, know Me and Will are with you..

Love

Offline Christine

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 11:09:06 am »
Hi Jan,
A few years ago I went through a period where my liver values where very high, and I was diagnosed with a fatty liver. I can't remember which meds I was on at that point. I do remember that the doctor changed my cocktail, and I was told to not drink alcohol. I also was not able to eat large meals since my liver was pressing on my stomach. I ate many small meals throughout the day.

Everything did clear up, but it took about a year before it was all back to normal. It was a slow improvement.

If my numbers had allowed it, I would have chosen to take a holiday and allow my liver to heal without the added stress of the meds.

Big hugs going out to you and your family.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 12:10:12 pm »
Ouch!

A recheck on the AST / ALT is in order, plus your lactate and amylase lipase levels (we's thinking pancreas).  Ultrasound to investigate comb-related fatty liver is a good diagnostic, but this condition don't always = high enzymes.

Stopping: Cessation of combo while the cause is investigated / treated is in good order.  Your nos are very good, but prepare for a quick flu perhaps as (if) viral replication rebounds. Empirically, if the AST / ALT subside to normal or near-normal after stopping, then it may well be the meds. It's a bugger really, cos so many things give high liver enzymes.

Since abacavir and 3TC leave the body quickly, resistance from lingering sub-therapeutic drug levels is not an issue.  Subject to discussion on are the meds behind the high AST / ALT, you should be able to re-use them again later. Liver-wise abacavir and 3TC are relatively kind, but clearly if you do stop, tis a good point to think about which ARVs will be kindest to your liver, esp. if the cause is non-combo related and you need to re-start before this is resolved.  If you do stop for more than a week or two, I would personally, at least to start (like for 6 months), hit the virus 2nd time round with a full 3-drug 2-class combo, even though you seem to get excellent results on just 2 nukes.

Good luck.

- matt
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 12:14:00 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 12:14:25 pm »
Jan.

Thanks for letting us know.  We appreciate it.  I'm with the others.  You've got great numbers and that allows you plenty of leeway to take a holiday.  If the symptoms continue, then we know it's not the meds and we'll have to look for something else.   

collectively, we'll find out what's wrong with you and take care of it.  That's a promise.

robert

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 04:24:12 pm »
Hi everyone

Thank you all so much for your advise believe me I have taken it all on board and  I will be talking with my ID Doc later today.

A quick run down on my med history...The young man I was infected through was resistant to 3 of the P.I's (Kaletra, ritonavir and indinavir) so the Doc in Australia decide to keep me away from the P.I's..he was also resistant to the NNRTI's...so those meds are a no no for me.

The reason I'm on a two med combo was because of sever side effects the AZT was giving me..and as you can see they have been working well for me these past two years.

I also know that those on NRTI's can be susceptible to liver problems and I think this is why the Doc wants me to take a holiday...up until now my LFT's have been pretty normal, with only a slight elevation over the last two years.

Due to the other diagnosis I have been given recently and having had a recent attack I will be having an MRI done on Monday 4th Dec and they will be including liver cuts, that way we don't have to do a separate CT scan ..so I will wait until I get the results from that...but it looks like a drug holiday is on the cards, as you all said I'm in a good place right now so I can afford to do this..it's just a bit daunting with everything else going on...I still have custody of my grandchildren and I worry about being able to look after them...not to mention all the beasts I have in my paddocks.. :D

Thank you all again so much for your well wishes and support..you have no idea how calm you all make me feel.

Hugs to you all
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 04:26:24 pm by anniebc »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 04:45:02 pm »
Hi Jan,

I'm sorry to hear this.  It sounds like you receive some good advice (the treatment break seems reasonable and even warranted).  When I stopped, my doctor had me come in for lab tests after one week, followed by two weeks and then on a monthly basis (at first).  This was to ensure that the virus didn't replicate out of control once treatment was stopped (can result in becoming very ill, as Matt noted above).  I suggest you also keep close tabs on your viral load during this treatment break.

Let us know how things go.  To be honest, I'm a bit concerned with this lab result, now knowing the resistance issues, and the other medical issue.  I hope your plate isn't too full and that you take some time to make sure you are doing okay!!!!

Love you very much Jan!

Cliff

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 04:48:11 pm »
Hi

Just thought I would share this photo with you...my beautiful 4 year old grandaughter..she is one of the one of the main reason I have to make the right decision and get on top of things.
She had her first stage performance with her ballet class with her intereretation of "Mrs snail in her garden"....she got second prize... :D

« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 05:04:46 pm by anniebc »

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 05:32:09 pm »
Jan....  Your Granddaughter is beautiful... You will make the right decisions with the help of you Doctor and all those who love and care for you... 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 06:18:17 pm »
Hello Jan,

Sorry to hear that you've been having a difficult time, along with the other health issues. I am not knowledgable, so I can't really advise. But, I can imagine that a very well monitored structured treatment interruption, with your current t-cell count could probably be arranged---get those liver numbers back down.

Take careof yourself------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline getbusyliving

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 07:03:21 pm »
All I can say is the picture with your grandaughter is absolutely beautiful and I wish you all the best. Although I am not qualified to give medical advice I am qualified to give practical advice.  And that is this, Tim, Alan and Newt have given their opinions and I would listen to their combined experience and expertise and utilize that to formulate my opinion.

Wishing you a peaceful and warm Holiday,
GBL
I decided it was either time to get busy living or get busy dying.

120304 diagnosed cd4 26 vl 30,000.
012305 started meds - Reyataz, Norvir, Truvada
06xx05 simply undetectable
07xx06 cd4 202 vl 94
0507 cd4 198 vl undetectable
today - feeling strong

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 07:27:28 pm »
Jan,

Sorry your having such issues.

I am slightly concerned about only having an MRI done for abdominal issues.  Don't know what your having the MR for anyway, but if they're just throwing in some liver scans....hmmmmm.  MR images generally do not give nearly the detail that a CT will.  They can get a CT "slice" down to less than 1mm, while in order to get a decent image from MR, they will probably be at about 3 or 4 mm thickness.  Additionally because of the time it takes to get an MRI picture versus a CT image, there is always motion from bowel peristalsis and blood flow in MRI.  Can't do anything about it, that's just part of the physics of MR.  CT images are acquired sub-second, so all of that motion is basically "frozen."  They should be able to get a reasonable dynamic scan, or maybe even a liver perfusion CT scan would be in order.  There's just a lot more options in CT for abdominal scans.

I'm sure your doc knows this, although, I have seen many that really don't.  If you're not already having some kind of abdominal scan, you could get a CT done in probably a quarter of the time it will take to do the MR of your liver that they are just going to "throw in"

Just some thoughts to ponder.

Love you and hope you feel better very soon

Shane
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 07:36:10 pm »
Jan~~

I'm sorry you are not feeling well, I hope things will get better for you. I have to agree with everyone else, you have excellent cd4, so why not have a lil vacation. I am so jealous.. ;)  Thanks for sharing the pic of your grand daughter, she's a cutie. I will keep you in my prayers.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 07:38:05 pm »
I am sorry you are having so much pain. I can´t give you any medical advice but I want to let you know I will be thinking of you.
If it is related to meds I am sure there must be something able to keep your virus undetectable while being kinder to your liver.
You have a beautiful granddaughter, Blondie and everything...just like her grandmother.
Hugs and Kisses.
Juan
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2006, 07:58:01 pm »
Jan, with all that love you have around your house there is no doubt that you'll get better soon. If she takes after her grandma she is going to be a looker when she grows up. Don't forget your ear plugs on the 4th.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 08:16:18 pm »
Hi Jan,

While I was meditating earlier this morning you had come to my mind in thought. Sure enough as I logged on to the site today I noticed your post. It is unfortunate that you are currently dealing with these unwanted medical situations. However, through your strength and your endurance, you will get through this. This too shall pass.

As far as your decision to take a med holiday, it does warrant its pros and its cons. However, if the Doctor is attempting to pinpoint where the "cause" resides, then it may very well be a good choice to take the break. In fact, your CD4's and your VL are outstanding. There can be some variation just as you had mentioned.

It does come to a point were each and every one of us needs to make a decision in this life. When considering your "choice" think in terms of the long-term benefit for you. However it turns out, please do keep us posted. Also to share with you, after you came to my mind in thought as I meditated, the entire group here at Aidsmeds had come to thought.

The message was "clear" for each and every one of us to initiate and to practice positive thinking for each other. I will make another post with the details.

In the interim, Jan I want you to take care of YOU. You are in my thoughts and in my prayers that you will get over this hurdle in this life.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 08:17:52 pm »
Dear Jan,

I would trade numbers with you in a heartbeat, my last labs showed a 150 reduction in T-cells.  My ID Doc is not concerned though so, I guess I shouldn't be either.  The Director of Medicine at our clinic left for South Africa to run a clinic which has been having a difficult time.  Dr. Netherda is gone for a year.  During the last Commission meeting before his leaving, he brought in a report from the CDC which advised people living with HIV to not take a vacation from meds.  The nutshell version was a vacation from meds can play havoc with the liver.  This was three months ago, I do not have access to that report or a way to contact Dr. Netherda.

I did attend a seminar a few years ago which was presented by Dr. Anna Baylor.  Dr. Baylor is the Acting Director of Medicine at our clinic.  From her discussion, I remember it was acceptable to take a vacation from meds.  As she said, "The worst thing that can happen is your T-cells and VL will revert back to the old numbers."

I want a med vacation in the worst way, I am tired of being sick everyday from the meds, tired of hiding this sickness and my Doctor, Marshall Kubota said no, because of the possibility of developing resistance to the medications.

The reality is, we have three Doctors from the same clinic with different opinions.  With your experience in Nursing, you have better access to information, access to reports and have the ability to take the information available and understand what the reports are saying, than I have.

If Dr. Netherda is correct, you could have problems with or lose your liver.  If Dr. Baylor is correct, there will be no problems.  If Dr. Kubota is correct, you may build a resistance to your current meds.  These are all brilliant and dedicated physicians, I'm sorry but I can not advise.   I often tell Dr. Kubota that my job is to follow his directions and take those pills no matter how bad I feel.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline Jody

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2006, 08:22:15 pm »
Hi Jan...I too am hurt by your news you haven't been doing too well lately and very hopeful it's just a blip on the screen so to speak...Don't know much from drug holiday's, I stopped on my own when I was a bit depressed about 5 years ago but went back OK...Keep us posted dear lady, as you can see so many good folks here care so much about you...And your grand daughter is just precious !!!

Love always, Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2006, 09:08:37 pm »
Hey Jan,

I don't know what to say, except that it worries me to know you've been in pain.  It's times like this we wish we all lived in new zealand.  Sometimes nurses, need nursing...  I do hope that you can get to the bottom of the increase enzyme results.

Sending you warm hugs and love from just across "the bay".  Your granddaughter is beautiful!
love
Matt
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 09:10:15 pm by cubbybear »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 10:40:14 pm »
Hey Jan,

Dearheart, I am so sorry you have been in pain. Your liver numbers are worrisome, to say the least.

I know the thought of the STI is frightening in some ways, but I have to agree with the rest. Your CD4s are in a nice place to do this and, as Tim said, you can't live without the liver.

By the way, your granddaughter is enchanting.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and will be sending copious amounts of positive, healing energy your way.

Let us know how things are going.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 08:31:26 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2006, 11:52:00 pm »
Hi Jan

Sorry for the current problems you are having.  Do you happen to have the rest of the liver function test results (like the total bilirubin and alkaline phosphatase)?  I'm also assuming pancreatitis has been ruled out with an amylase or lipase level.  It's hard to make sense as to what's causing this, especially since you've been doing so well on your current meds for over a year.  Your doc is probably going to have to do a series of other work-ups to figure this out, including imaging tests to rule out such things as gallstones, etc.  Regarding the drug holiday, as the others have mentioned, it is most likely a safe thing to do as long as you get monitored closely as to how your VL would trend.  If you do decide to take a break, it would be a good time as well to try to get a genotype resistance test when/if the VL gets high enough.  Keep us posted.

Gerry

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2006, 01:36:41 am »
Hello Jan,

I hope you feel better real soon!  What a cute, sweet picture!

Care and support,
Drew

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2006, 04:19:07 pm »
Hi everyone

I just wanted to say thank you again for your wonderful advise..I have listened and taken it all in and have made a decision..I have decide to do the drug holiday and have realized it's not big deal, I don't why I was so concerned about it.

As for my other problems and my Liver problems I will know more after the 4th of Dec when hopefully I will have some results to give you all.

Thanks again for all your advise, I wish I could thank you all individually..but it would take too long and I have work to do in the paddocks.. :D

Edited to say to those who were concerned..pancreatitis has been ruled out ..Amylase levels are normal and the gall bladder has already been removed.

Love and hugs to you all
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 04:24:22 pm by anniebc »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2006, 04:54:40 pm »
Dearest Jan,

I'm sorry to hear about this new problem - this is the first I've heard as I managed to miss this thread earlier in the week - been in Liverpool and sleeping loads as well.

You mentioned that your pancreas and gall bladder have been ruled out, but what about hepatitis?

I hope they get to the bottom of all this soon - I hate to think of you having a difficult time. Hang in there hun! I'm sending plenty of love, light and positive energy your way, hope it helps.

Big hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2006, 05:06:22 pm »
Jan,

you are in my thoughts

((((((((((((((((JAN)))))))))))))))))

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2006, 06:28:15 pm »
Hi Jan,

Sorry to hear you are having a few problems at the moment.  You seem to be in a great position to try out a drug holiday though.  Keep us updated.

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Eldon

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2006, 09:50:08 pm »
Hi Jan,

It is good to hear from you. Your strength is within you. I am sending you postive healing energy your way. It comes in waves.

Take care of YOU!

Offline northernguy

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2006, 07:08:32 pm »
Hang in there!  Keep us posted how the drug holiday goes.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Having a few problems and need your thoughts/advise..(UPDATE)
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2006, 11:14:44 pm »
Hi Everyone

Thank you all for your support and advise..just thought I would give you a quick up-date.

MRI scan turned out fine for a diagnosis (not HIV related) I recieved a couple of months ago..but they decided not to do a liver cut, they are going to hold off to see how my monthly bloods tests turn out first.

I have been off Meds for a week now..so we will see how everything pans out, although my CD4's drop 400+ my % still remains at 59...so I have absolutly nothing to complain about.

Thank you all again for your concers.

Hugs
Jan

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2006, 11:22:36 pm »
Glad to hear you are doing better Anniebc. Fingers crossed for you.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline jntmax39

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2006, 12:01:47 am »
Hey Jan
My name is Janet,I too have liver problems.Due to diabetes and years of  bi-polar meds and deppression pills. I have liver biopsies once a year. My liver doc told me to take meds that I absolutely have to have,and to stay away from alcahol,and to start taking vitamin E.
Well I've been doing that and the numbers have gone down not by a whole lot but he told me my liver is trying to regenerate itself.
So if you do take a holiday try taking  VIT-E good luck let me know how you make out.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2006, 12:33:26 am »
Jan,

Glad things are going pretty good! Been thinking about ya and keeping you in my prayers!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2006, 01:50:16 am »
Jan,

Great! I'm glad everything turned out ok, I was concerned. Enjoy that drug holiday!
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.