Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:34:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 464
Total: 464

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AP Article...waiting! FINALLY...IT'S HERE!!! Take a look-see and listen too..  (Read 14596 times)

Offline Trish

Hi Everyone,

My article is due out today, and I'm more than excited about it.  However, I'm getting a bit worried....it's not out yet.  I'm anxious to see it and post it for you.  I thought it would have been posted by now, but when I checked last, it wasn't there.  As soon as it appears, I will post the link for you.

The interview was mostly on a personal level - it had to do with the Faces of AIDS and being that this is the 25th Anniversary of AIDS, they are doing a week-long segment.  The first part, due out today, features the Faces of AIDS, and I am one of them.  They are profiling 3 people.  During the interview I touched on quite a few different items that concern me, and I spoke of my thoughts of HIV & living with it for 17 years:  I spoke about my diagnosis back in 1989 and my husband's death; The stigma of HIV and it's impact on my life, which is the most destructive part of it all for me; The lack of prevention education;  The lack of awareness; The complacency and silence over the years; The meds and their side effects, as well as resistance and adherence; The ridiculous price of meds (I even showed the reporter my receipts, which she was appalled at); And I also touched on the complacency & silence of AIDS in the media...  there were other things I mentioned, but my memory fails me at this point. 

As I sat with the reporter in our livingroom while the photographer photographed me (of course I smiled in most of the pics he took -- I'm such a Ham), my nervousness waned quite quickly and I became very comfortable.  I spoke as though I was talking to a close friend or family member.  She was very attentive and I believe she walked away with more knowledge of AIDS than she has ever received. 

I came away from the interview feeling released, relieved and at peace with myself.  I hope to do this again one day... in whatever venue comes my way.

I will post it here as soon as it's out...

Thanks for all your support & love, my AM family.  Love to you all.

HUGS all around...

Trish :-*

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:53:01 pm by Trish »
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
Re: AP Article...waiting!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 11:45:06 am »
Trish,

All over the morning news today has been about the 25 years ago today they made the first report about AIDS. What really angered me is the reporting was all about Gay, Castro arena in San Francisco. And one woman who said derogatory comments about those of us that has HIV/AIDS.

Twenty-five years and the world is still in the dark!

Looking forward to you interview.

Terry

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
Re: AP Article...waiting!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 01:12:30 pm »
Trish

Thank you so much for being 'out' in the world. I admire your brave and courageous spirit !!!
I'm looking forward to reading the interview.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Trish

Ooops!   Forgot to include the link.

FINALLY, IT'S HERE...

First, I'd like to say that this article is on a website that is geared toward 18 - 35 year olds.  It is a fairly new site and is a part of Associated Press.

Second, I was not happy with the pictures they used.  Please be nice.... :D  I certainly don't look like a supermodel as Regan Hoffman does in her interview on Good Morning America this morning.  Which was a very nice interview, btw.  "Power" to you Regan.  I'm still awaiting your call... ;D

Third, the article is about living with HIV on a personal perspective.  All the things I spoke about are not exactly in the article, but I was able to educate 2 people (the reporter and photographer) about HIV and all the crap that comes along with it.

And finally, there is an Audio clip included.  Now you all get to hear my voice... YAY!!!

So, without further adieu, I give you the link to my interview...

http://asap.ap.org/stories/633791.s

Edited to add:  Be sure to read the whole article, they go back and forth with each profile.  It's actually separated into 3 sections.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:50:40 pm by Trish »
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Basquo

BRAVA!!!!!!!!  fantastic, trish, Just fantastic!  I'm going to send this to some friends of mine who "just don't get it"...
Love and again, BRAVA!!!!!
Creighton

Offline Sdgirl

Awesome, awesome, awesome!  I am so proud of all of the women that are speaking out just in the short time since I have been diagnosed!  You are brave Trish, you are powerful, strong and beautiful......we will make a change!

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline Teresa

Trish,
You should be very proud of yourself! Im so proud of you! You did a fantastic job and u are so beautiful inside and out.

You and John make a lovely couple.

THank you so much for being such a brave woman!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Trish!

You did great honey, that was fantastic.   I enjoyed the audio clips too.
You should be very proud of yourself.   Thanks for putting it 'out there'.

Hugs & kisses,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
Lil' Sis,

You got two big Bros that are damned proud of you.  You continue to amaze us and we love you beyond words.

Thanks for your willingness to speak from your heart for all of us.  This 25 year mark is one that we will forever remember because of people like you.

All our love, Ric and Thom

PS, John you standing next to Trish completes the perfect picture.  Hugs.

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
WAY TO GO, GIRLIE, WAY TO GO!!!
From ocean to ocean, continent to continent, you have sparked INSPIRATION, EDUCATION and EMPOWERMENT throughout the WORLD for all HIV/AIDS women, men and children!!

I do believe I'm starting to hear a CRACK in that damn of STIGMA!!

We've just hung up the phone, and you know how I feel about you, honey.........BTW, love the photo of John and you!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Much love,

Zephie

modified because my marquee thingy messed up!

Zephie
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 09:15:05 pm by zephyr »
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline Robert

Trish....

A picture is worth a thousand words....

You and John are priceless!!!

Thanks for sharing.

robert

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
Trish

Your interview was exactly what I would have expected from you.  Honest and to the point. 

Thank you (and thanks to John too) for stepping forward and offering your story (ies).  The more voices that are heard the more clearly the message will be delivered. 

AND THAT'S WHAT WE NEED TO HAPPEN!

RAB

Offline kcmetroman

I gotta say that I have never been so proud as I am of you baby.....You had their attention, and you took my heart.

But I gotta say, who is the goofy lookin bald headed geek?

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
Quote:

"I have this fear that they'll find a vaccine and leave those of us behind that are on meds now," she said. "That's my biggest fear. They'll forget the research and let us die off."

OMG! I’ve thought that very same thing. You did good Lady!

Terry

:-*

Offline JohnOso

Great, great job Trish!   (And the bald-headed, geeky guy looks like a keeper too!)   ;D

Much love,
John

Offline Jena

• To God Be The Glory!
Trish Honey, I'm sooo proud of you! What an excellent article. Thank You for being so brave.
I love you sweetie!
Jena

Offline Markmt

The audio and article are excellent Trish. You spoke from the heart and thats  why the message will hit deeper. The other guys did pretty good too. Well done for speaking up and most of all feeling comfortable about it - giving courage and strenght to others,

hugs,

mark
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline Trish

Awa, gee... I'm blushing :D ::)

You guys are wonderful...

Creighton, Lisa, Teresa, Alan, Ric, Zeph, Robert, Rocky, Terry, JohnOso, Jena & Mark

I'm so happy that you enjoyed the article.  And thanks for taking the time to read it.  Means alot to me.

Had it not been for my coming to Aidsmeds and meeting all of you, I'm afraid I never would have done this... I've gained so much strength from all of you, and for that I am very, very grateful.

Creighton - I'm glad you took the time to send it to all your friends.  Hopefully, they'll "get it" now...thanks honey. :-*

Lisa, Teresa, Jena & Zeph -- my "women in arms."  I believe that you are all strong, beautiful and powerful.   We all are, we just don't give ourselves enough credit.  I'm no braver than any of you.. I just got to a point in my life where living in a lie was destroying me.  I couldn't or rather, I can't hide anymore.  I'm done with that, and I feel liberated.  It's my belief that the more we "come out" and tell our stories, the more people will understand, or at the very least, try to understand.  I'm sure a day will come where you will feel empowered to do the same.  It is scary, but after it's done, holy shit... what a refreshing thing it is... And when you're ready to come out publicly, you will know it.  I did.  I think a new age is upon us and I believe women will rise above and make a difference.  The time has come... KUDOS to all the ladies I've come to know & love.  YOU ARE "STRONG, POWERFUL & BEAUTIFUL." :-* :)

Zeph, I wish you well today in your interview -- just be yourself and speak from your heart -- you can't go wrong.  I'm proud of you too honey. :-*

Alan - Love you!!! Guess what?  John bought me a new blouse for the occasion...thanks for suggesting it.  You know how I love to shop... ;D  Thanks for all the love you give and being so supportive.  You're TOPS!!! :-*

Ric "Big Bro" - I was very proud to do this... I hope to get the chance to do it again.  I really want to be a part of the solution.  I want to make a difference and will all of you behind me, in spirit and in heart, I can achieve my goals.  Love ya. :-*

Robert - Thank you for the support and encouragement.  "Priceless?"  Wow!!!  We're happy and I think the pic does say it all... :) :-*

Rocky - "The more voices... the more clearly the message will be delivered."  I agree Rock, and I'll continue delivering the message -- LOUD & CLEAR!!!  Thanks love. :-*

Terry -  How the hell are ya, old geezer?  :D ;)  I've been missing you.  You know, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.  It really is my biggest fear, being left behind to die... I hope they won't do that, but still, something that weighs on my mind.  Thanks for all your support & love. :-*

JohnO - Yeah, Johnny boy's a "keeper" indeed.  He may look a bit "geeky", but he backs me all the way and is truly a part of what makes my heart beat.  He helps me to keep up the good fight.  He's a wonderful man, and I'm so in love with him.  Thanks! :)

Mark - If we all tell our stories from the heart, I'm sure we can break through the barriers of stigma.  At the very least, there are some folks who will come to understand better that people from all walks of life are not immune from HIV.  It's something that all people should know about, and it's high time we talk about it freely, openly without fear of discrimination and with utmost sincerity -- from the heart, that's all it takes.  This is my belief.  Thanks for your support. :) :-*

OzPaul - Thank you for the vote of confidence.  It's always great to have that backing.  Makes me stronger.  Thanks!!! :)

I really do want to make a difference.  It's been on my mind since 1989.  I'm just glad that I've been alive this long to deliver my message.  May have taken me a long time, but fact of the matter is that I DID IT!!!  And I am very proud!  I will remember this for the rest of my life and I'll never look back.  Doing this interview empowered me even more.  I've liberated myself...freed myself.  The sense of release I feel, I can't explain it.  You really have to experience it for yourself.  And please, please, when the time is right for anyone of you (you will know it & feel it) to "come out", don't fight it -- go with your instincts & your heart.  The more stories told, the more people will "get it."  The more we hide, the more people believe we have something to hide from...and we really don't.  We are human, we have feelings and we have a RIGHT TO LIVE FREELY & WITHOUT FEAR OF DISCRIMINATION.  WE HAVE A RIGHT TO BE OURSELVES.

In solidarity, love & respect,

Trish :-* :)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
THANK YOU TRISH STEEN, AND JOHN MARTIN

In Love and Awe..............................
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Trish

For you Big Daddy!!!

IN LOVE & RESPECT
Trish & John :-* :)

Offline Iggy

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:49:34 pm by Iggy »

Offline cmhjeff

GREAT JOB!!!

I enjoyed listening more so just to put a voice to the face :)
You GO Trish

Offline jon

WOW!!! Well said and well done.  Keep up the good work.  Best of luck out there in the sticks.
You'll have to kill Me before I die!!!

Offline purpledragonfly

Trish,

WOW, You are so great, i am proud to say i know you and think of you as one of my friends. I know that something great is about to happen for all of us living with this. I think it is time for us women to make a stand. I know i am going to talk to my case manager this week and get the support group up and running. I have been talking to teenagers about using protection. It amazes me that so many still do not protect themselfs while haveing sex. They are shocked when they find out i am poz. they first think i am this old lady just trying to get in their business and all. The funny thing is i am, i don't want to see anyone go thru what we have to go thru each and every day. So if i have to be an old lady getting in their business i will. Maybe one day i too can do what you and Zeph are doing and speaking out in public and making a difference.

Love you for speaking up and making a difference. Oh yea, John you and Trish make a wonderful couple and one day i too want to have what you two have.

Love ya both,

Wendy

Offline manchesteruk

Trish,

Great article and I thank you for being so brave and stepping forward and making a stand with all this.  I often think how much easier HIV would be to live with without the stigma still attached to it.  I liked the New York accent as well!

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline emeraldize

Thank you, Trish.

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
I enjoyed the read and hearing your voice too.  I'm proud of you and admire you very much.

Phil
Member since March 2004

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.