Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:17:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 289
Total: 289

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Would you wear a HIV POSITIVE T-Shirt?  (Read 9366 times)

Offline InquisitHIV

• Laughter is the best medicine.
Would you wear a HIV POSITIVE T-Shirt?
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:44:00 am »
I’m interested is hearing positive and negative views on the subject of, or by people who wear these T-shirts, whether they are, or are not actually HIV+.

At the moment I’m thinking that it must be the ultimate way to overcome personal stigma and to come to terms in living with HIV. I suspect most folk would only wear one in the company of understanding friends, but I may be wrong.

Please feel free to post any images of any HIV POSITIVE T-Shirts on this thread. There seems to be many different designs, colors, variations in different parts of the world.
A man with more than one thing on his mind.

The future belongs to the curious. The ones who are not afraid to try it.
Explore it. Poke at it. Question it. And turn it inside out.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Would you wear a HIV POSITIVE T-Shirt?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:59:30 am »
I have worn one during AIDS walks but I wouldn't wear one at the gym or shopping around town.

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:05:53 am »
Nah.  The one in my avatar conveys the only message I'd ever publicly (as in gay bar publicly) convey.  Too bad they didn't have #12 to be more accurate, lol.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:14:27 am »
Whenever I'm out with the guy I infected I wear my "I'm with stupid" T-shirt.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:16:53 am »
Heh, Heh,....  There are longterm members of this forum that for some reason can't even use their real names, let alone ever show a picture of themselves. I hardly believe they would wear an HIV positive t shirt.

I'm with Ford. I would wear one to an Aids walk, or possibly an Aids fundraising event, But I wouldn't walk around town with it.

Everybody that needs to know I am positive, already knows, and have for almost 29 years.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:54:36 am »
I wouldn't wear one that just says HIV.
But if you find a clever one that lists all the viruses people can get over a lifetime, and theres a box to check which ones the wearer has had so far, i would wear that t-shirt.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 10:21:03 am »
Nope. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 10:34:04 am »
I didn't know T-shirts could get aids . HIV positive underwear I can see ... .

Seriously ... When its appropriate I do not mind telling strangers I have HIV . Its a good way to get them to shut up about their gallbladder . I have a hang up of not wanting shirts with any pony's or alligators or any logos at all on them so for me I wouldn't feel good in a HIV T .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:41:52 am »
Nah.  The one in my avatar conveys the only message I'd ever publicly (as in gay bar publicly) convey.  Too bad they didn't have #12 to be more accurate, lol.

There have been a couple of mentions about your shirt.  Will you help this vision impaired person and explain what it is?  Or perhaps post a larger picture of it, curious minds would like to know.

greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:36 am »
I'm with Ray on this one, everyone who NEEDS to know, already does.  I wouldn't not wear because of fear and stigma, but because my wardrobe is planned too far in advance.

And I never wear shirts anyways when I'm doing AIDS walks or gay pride events.   ;)  short silky shorts sans panties and sandals.

Offline zach

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:53 am »
depends on the context and setting, i'm with gymrat, it would probably only be somewhere i make a political/social statement

Offline AusShep

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 11:06:55 am »
There have been a couple of mentions about your shirt.  Will you help this vision impaired person and explain what it is?  Or perhaps post a larger picture of it, curious minds would like to know.

greg

Sure. It's this one, but with a plain back 

http://www.ajaxx63.com/regularfit/rf25.html

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 11:13:20 am »
Sure. It's this one, but with a plain back 

http://www.ajaxx63.com/regularfit/rf25.html

I'd definitely wear that, anywhere.  :)  I actually bookmarked that site as I am a clothes whore and like some of their products.

Offline zach

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 11:25:41 am »
i get the swallows joke, but is there something i'm not getting with that shirt, significance wise?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 11:29:04 am »
i get the swallows joke, but is there something i'm not getting with that shirt, significance wise?

If you check out the site Zach, you'll see that most of their clothing has a sports related, pun intended theme.  I wear lots of had and I really want the one that shows a catcher and reads "catcher" on it.

Offline zach

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 11:30:25 am »
yeah, thats what i mean, i get that, thats the obvious angle. i wasn't getting anything hiv positive from that

Offline wolfter

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 11:36:39 am »
yeah, thats what i mean, i get that, thats the obvious angle. i wasn't getting anything hiv positive from that

I couldn't find a single item on their site that indicates status.  Mostly a way of letting men know you're a proud promoter of cheap beer and loose morals.  :)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 11:43:59 am »
Maison Martin Margiela has been making AIDS charity t-shirts for twenty years -- I own three of them, including one in Chinese, and wear them regularly.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:48:45 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 01:43:07 pm »
I see gym guys in Clapham wear ,khaki green T with a white + about 10 cm by 10cm
bang in the middle off there chest.Always thought they where on the prowl and being clear.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline aaware72

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 02:36:54 pm »
This is a battle I have been having in my head over the last year, but we need to reduce and work to eliminate the stigma around HIV.  It'd going to take those of us that are positive to speak about it freely and stomp on stereotypes. 

As of today my answer would be YES!  Here a link to some shirts:

http://famousish.com/collections/limited-edition
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline zach

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 04:04:13 pm »
see all these shirts so far are cutesy about it. i'm thinking a plain white t, with bold block red lettering "I AM HIV +" or "I HAVE AIDS" something like that, i would wear at aidswalk or political event, not to the local piggly wiggly on double coupon day.

making lemonade? i don't get it. the designer talks about social commentary and says he is making a provocative statement to end stigma. seems he is still shying away it. Positive(ish)?! whats that, sorta HIV?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:11:10 pm by zach »

Offline YellowFever

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 04:09:26 pm »
Maison Martin Margiela has been making AIDS charity t-shirts for twenty years -- I own three of them, including one in Chinese, and wear them regularly.

I can't find the Chinese one. Did you mistaken Japanese characters for Chinese? tut tut....

I probably would wear one when running a marathon. What better way to tell people that it's not a death sentence...Unless you're like that runner who collapsed and died after the London marathon.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:14:11 pm by YellowFever »
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415
04/2013 CD4 457
10/2013 CD4 520 VL 650
02/2014 CD4 410 VL 390
08/2014 CD4 580
01/2015 CD4 500 VL UD
05/2015 CD4 420 VL 2500
08/2015 CD4 460 VL UD
03/2016 CD4 500 VL UD
08/2016 CD4 410 VL 4467

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 04:18:33 pm »
I prefer to expose my status in a big way... t-shirts?, not so much.

In 1991 I was interviewed by the Detroit Free Press and my story, along with a picture of me and my medicine bottles, graced the front page.  The paper had asked dozens of folks, including many of our HIV leaders and none had thought it would make much of a difference.  But they were wrong.

My story reached millions and some folks contacted me personally to offer their compassion and support.  Even my neighbor, who hated that I was gay, came over and hugged me one day, when I was raking the leaves.  It was at that point, that I knew I had made the right decision and for the time, I was happy to be the face of HIV.

Joe

Offline zach

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 04:40:50 pm »
joe, even today, that would take great courage... but at that time, i can't even imagine. you are strong sir, thank you

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 04:49:13 pm »
joe, even today, that would take great courage... but at that time, i can't even imagine. you are strong sir, thank you

Thanks Zach, it was a calculated risk and there was a lot of conflict that came my way.  But those were different times and there were hero's among us all.  We did what we could and sometimes, life presented an opportunity that simply could not be missed, because the longer we hide, the longer we will be forced to hide.

Joe

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 05:26:44 pm »
I have a tattoo for that purpose.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline aaware72

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 08:04:44 pm »
see all these shirts so far are cutesy about it. i'm thinking a plain white t, with bold block red lettering "I AM HIV +" or "I HAVE AIDS" something like that, i would wear at aidswalk or political event, not to the local piggly wiggly on double coupon day.

making lemonade? i don't get it. the designer talks about social commentary and says he is making a provocative statement to end stigma. seems he is still shying away it. Positive(ish)?! whats that, sorta HIV?

Well those part of some fund raising being done by: http://www.thestigmaproject.org/

"The Stigma Project has been making lemonade out of lemons since 2012!

Support our work to reduce HIV-related stigma and help achieve an AIDS-free generation by purchasing one of these limited-edition shirts by Famousish! 100% of the proceeds from "The Lemonade Series" will be donated to TSP! So make lemonade and buy one today!"

The Stigma Project is a nonprofit organization that seeks to end HIV stigma through art, provocation, awareness, and education.

Anyway when I seen the thread about wearing a T-shirt stating your positive this came to mind ;)
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline harleymc

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 02:28:25 am »
My "Action = Life" one wore out a looong time ago, but I make do with my "HIV/Aids doesn't discriminate people do".

I like the discrimination message one, it puts the spotlight back on any haters. I've never had a bad comment said to me when wearing it.

Offline weasel

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 04:41:09 pm »

I have a few shirts that I wear to Pride , a place that I do not care
        if people know I'm HIV POZ .

When I am in Connecticut it feels safe to wear  T's with messages ,
        not so much in my neck of the woods .

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.