Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:30:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 223
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Ex-girlfriend 'joking' about HIV positive status  (Read 6590 times)

Offline mrwhiskas4

Ex-girlfriend 'joking' about HIV positive status
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:38:42 am »
Hi All,
I'd like to begin by saying I am a 19 year old male, I had started my first semester at college when I met a girl who seemed to be everything I liked in a girl, immediately we hit it off and a week later started dating, a week after this we had sex, for the first time we used a condom, as we were both virgins. About a week after this encounter, my girlfriend came to me in tears, confessing that she hadn’t been completely honest with me, earlier this year she had been in a non-sexual long-term relationship with a boy she knew regularly cheated on her, having unprotected sex with multiple partners, she then went on to tell me that her ex had come home late one night, drunk and frustrated with her for ‘not giving it up’, she broke down and told me that she had had sex with him out of fear for her life, and told me that a condom was not involved.
Between our first sexual encounter and my girlfriends confession, we had had unprotected vaginal sex on two occasions, and upon hearing her story began to doubt her, if she had lied about being a virgin, what else was she lying about or keeping from me? I confronted her asking whether her ex had had anything I should know about and be tested for, she looked at me and grinned and said 'Oh, I’ve got HIV didn’t I tell you?’ Instantly I panicked and begged her to tell me that she was joking, she shrugged it off and laughed and said 'Of course I don’t have it silly, I’m just messing around', however despite these claims the seed of doubt had been planted in my mind. I continued to see this girl until we broke up a week later, however during that time we did not have any sex, unprotected or otherwise.
Several days after our break up I developed a case of the sniffles, which later turned into body chills, a cough which produced mucus, fatigue and after a couple of days a fever which broke after one night. I set myself in bed and prepared for an onset of flu, 2 days later I was up and about again and feeling much better, during this period I also had numerous spots that resembled acne on my chest. With my ex's 'joke' still playing on my mind I turned to the internet to research HIV, and chanced upon the symptoms of seroconversion, immediately my mind went into overdrive and I became convinced that I had contracted HIV and my ex had been lying all along.
Immediately I confronted her about it, and she shut down telling me to leave her alone despite the fact that I told her I had a right to know if she had given me a life changing disease. Her resistance to admitting either way that she was positive or negative strengthened my belief that she had HIV, and I left her apartment extremely stressed. For the next 6 weeks I slept and ate poorly, my mind entirely convinced that I had contracted HIV, hating myself for trusting her. Eventually I decided to go to a hospital and get the result confirmed, so I could begin to accept what I had and try to move on with my life. Upon arriving at the hospital I discussed the situation with my doctor, who then told me I was very low risk for contracting HIV; however he requested that I take a full STD test to confirm everything was normal, and sent me on my way.
One week later the results came back, imagine my shock when they were negative. Immediately I felt relieved, the dark days were finally over, I could move on with my life. For the next few weeks my outlook on life became much brighter, and I regained some of my old enthusiasm. However, a chance meeting with my ex, and her statement that ‘she hadn’t been completely honest with me about some things’ (things that she refused to disclose), once again got my mind turning over, and I began to doubt the hospital result, what if it was wrong? After all, the doctor had only told me that the test ‘detected the HIV in my blood a month from infection’ (it had been 7 weeks 4 days from my potential exposure), he didn’t name the test and to this day I am unsure what test was performed.
It is now 11 weeks 5 days since my potential exposure, and during the day I am experiencing many itches, which feel like insect bites all over my body, particularly being centred on my arms, top of my chest and scalp, however there are no marks there when I look and no rashes. The spots on the top of my chest have no cleared up but the area still feels itchy. I have also had a lymph gland on the left side of my neck swollen to the size of a mothball for the last 3 weeks, and despite the fact I have had two colds in that period and the weather outside is perpetually below zero I have once again convinced myself I have HIV and that the hospital test has missed something.
My question to you is, what are my chances of having had a false negative result, and actually having HIV, what is the most likely test that was peformed and if not could these ‘itches’ just be a product of my overactive imagination?
Many thanks to you for reading this; I wish you a Merry Christmas and the best health in the New Year.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:40:25 am by mrwhiskas4 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Ex-girlfriend 'joking' about HIV positive status
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:22:03 am »
MRW, essentially I think you are worrying needlessly. None  of your symptoms are in any way HIV specific. More importantly you have tested negative at 7 weeks, whatever your doubts maybe about it. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so withn 4-6 weeks after a risky incident.

Get tested again at 13 weeks for a conclusive negative result. I do expect you are going to test negative.

For future reference, the only time you can safely dispense with using condoms is when both partners test negative together at a reliable point and are committed to a securely monogamous relationship. Until if and when that happens you need to use a condom everytime for vaginal and anal intercourse. No exceptions.

I expect you to come out of this ok.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline mrwhiskas4

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 04:10:12 pm »
Hey,
Just a quick question...If i had a PCR test at 8 weeks 5 days which came back negative, is there still any reason for me to take a 13 week antibody test. I ask because I read that the PCR test detects the HIV virus in your blood from 2-3 weeks post-exposure.
Many Thanks
mrwhiskas4

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 06:09:24 pm »
The PCR RNA is approved for testing at 28 days past an exposure.

You're way past that time so you need to do have a standard Elisa test done when you get tested.

Andy Velez

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 06:18:22 pm »
PCR-RNA tests are supplemental tests that are used in conjunction with an antibody test. As Andy advised you, your 3 month test will be conclusive.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 04:43:10 am »
Mr,

You will still need to confirm any PCR result with antibody testing, whether the PCR is negative or positive. There simply are no short cuts to hiv testing.

As you have been told, your seven week negative is highly unlikely to change. You do not need any test other than an antibody test at the three month point. And I expect it to also be negative.

PCR testing is very expensive and time consuming. By the time the results come back, it will probably be pretty much time for you to have your conclusive test with a rapid antibody test where you can have your test within the hour, instead of two or three weeks.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.