Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:33:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 213
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tattoo Symbolizing Long Term Survival  (Read 35863 times)

Offline HeLookaLikaMan

Tattoo Symbolizing Long Term Survival
« on: April 11, 2011, 03:00:31 pm »
I don't have any tattoos, and I've long said I wouldn't get one, BUT I'm considering getting one if I think it could be useful in reminding me that I'm strong and I'm a survivor.

Today, out of the blue, I remembered back over ten years when I had a conversation with my doctor about completing a "Do Not Resuscitate" order for myself.  He talked me out of it.  Today, I cried remembering it.  :'(  I was sick and hopeless, and I had given up.  Today, I am working hard to create a life for myself I will be happy with.  I am a survivor, and so are all of us here! ;D

Does anyone here have a tatt symbolizing their perseverance, resiliency, or strength?  What is it?  Where is it?

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Tattoo Symbolizing Long Term Survival
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 04:54:18 pm »
I don't have a tattoo either, and said I wouldn't get one.

However, I like your idea about something symbolizing our tenaciousness and survivor mentality.

Now, the problem will be coming up with something to symbolize it.

I will think on it, you think on it too.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas as well.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:27:02 pm »
does my 10 yr old biohazard tat (on my lower back) count? ;D

I did expect it to be buried with me many yrs ago (probably by the mid 00's),
so I'm quite pleased to still be kicking and still be able to go shirtless and show off my tat.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline HeLookaLikaMan

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:41:18 pm »
I don't have a tattoo either, and said I wouldn't get one.

However, I like your idea about something symbolizing our tenaciousness and survivor mentality.

Now, the problem will be coming up with something to symbolize it.

I will think on it, you think on it too.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas as well.

HUGS,

Mark

Yeah, coming up with they symbol will be the trick.  I guess now that I'm thinking about it, the right thing will appear when the time is right.  Let me know if you come up with anything for yourself!

Offline HeLookaLikaMan

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:46:45 pm »

If your tattoo works for you, then it works!  Personally, I relate to biohazard symbol tattoos as a negative branding or a scarlet letter, but, like everything else, the meaning resides in each individual person.  I hope it reminds you of your strength!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:06:18 pm »
I'm not sure how aesthetically pleasing it would look but I think a great symbol of strength , long life and resiliency is the Joshua Tree
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline lipoenvy

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:15:53 am »
Well, there's the Egyptian ankh, or the combination ankh-wedja-seneb (life, endurance, health).  I don't think it's reserved for Egyptian royalty any more.  But we're all reincarnated Egyptian princesses anyway, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh_wedja_seneb

A tattoo of a baseball scoreboard showing the top of the 12th inning would just get too complicated.

lipo

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:41:04 am »
I always indicate that I don't have a tattoo, but I did get one when I was 18.  I added another freckle to my shoulder.  It wasn't about a tattoo but a sense of defiance.  It was always preached to us that tatoos and piercings were satan's work and  we were not destroy these perfect temples the Lord provided.  He must not have been too upset with me, he allowed me to graduate from a Christian university.

I like the idea of having one that displays our hope and strength.  I might consider one if it's appropriate.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 12:45:40 pm »
No Tats on me but I do like this idea
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 03:44:36 pm »
Here are two pictures of the tattoos that we designed.  It is based on Egyptian art and is essentially a giant disk, with huge feathered wings.  The art itself is the Winged Disk of Horus, which represents rebirth.  The coloring was chosen to represent rebirth, endurance, health, strength, courage and compassion. They span our shoulder blades and took about 15 hours each.  What we like the best, is that when you flex, the wings become alive, which is a real credit to the artist.  She was incredible with detail and up close, you can see that the feathers are progressively shaded, which gives them real depth.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:23:14 pm by killfoile »

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 12:03:07 pm »
Thats truly awesome , Joe. 
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 05:27:52 pm »
Here are two pictures of the tattoos that we designed.
Wow! Really beautiful Joe. ;D
I'm sure it really must be very life-affirming knowing you have such beautiful wings on your back ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

LabRat

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 09:50:04 am »
I like the Egyptian wings too, it reminds of the Egyptian Airlines logo. Don't think I could stand the 15 hours it took to apply it! How about a logo on a t-shirt or jacket? I know...it's the wimpy, preppy way of displaying the symbol!

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 05:25:55 pm »
Joe has a number of beautiful tats; they suit him marvelously. He's very tall and has the attitude to pull them off successfully.

As others have said, I, myself, have no tattoos: they're just not me. But you could always go with the three letters L T S tattooed on your chest, abdomen or on one of your forearms. Working with the right artist, it could be a piece of magnificent, permanent calligraphy, perhaps entwined with a leafy vine which would symbolize enduring life.

If anyone asks, you can either explain what being a LTS means to you, or if you'd care not to disclose to that person you could always just say that they're the initials of someone you used to care about.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 06:44:40 pm »
I, myself, have no tattoos: they're just not me. ....
If anyone asks, you can either explain what being a LTS means to you, or if you'd care not to disclose to that person you could always just say that they're the initials of someone you used to care about.
ah, but that misses the point of having a tattoo. ;) Tats are all about disclosure of you and your personality - especially if your tat is in an exposed place. Walk up to anyone with an exposed tat and ask them about it. You'll get more story than you wanted to know.  :D

I can't imagine that anyone would get inked with a tat expressing themselves as a "long term survivor" and then not disclosing the meaning behind that tat. If someone was just going to hide it or not disclose it then I would suggest not getting it inked onto yourself (in an exposed place) for the whole world to see ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 06:51:28 pm »

15 yrs ago I couldn't show any of my tats while on the job, but I did it anyway (in the summer) so they really couldn't do anything to me about it, now-a-days, and in most States all Cops have them, some even have goatee's, I couldn't have one back then only a neatly trimmed mustache , but I see that things have changed a lot now  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 07:00:19 pm »
I agree. the attitude around tats has greatly changed in the last 15-20 yrs.  Where I used to be odd/unique for having a tat before I turned 25, most of the over 16 - under 30 crowd that I know now have at least one if not more. I, too, remember the days of making sure clothing would cover them up so you could get a job or not get hassled in public
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 07:09:46 pm »
I agree. the attitude around tats has greatly changed in the last 15-20 yrs.  Where I used to be odd/unique for having a tat before I turned 25, most of the over 16 - under 30 crowd that I know now have at least one if not more. I, too, remember the days of making sure clothing would cover them up so you could get a job or not get hassled in public

YES, but when I went to the Sheriff's boot-camp in 88, they take pictures of you, if you have any tats, then they check with NCIC for any wants or warrants, traffic-tickets, felonies, and gun-crimes, and cross-reference with other States, they want to know what they are getting before you can even complete boot-camp, so they already knew about my tats  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 03:58:02 am »
I have 8 tatts, and unfortunately, two of them are on my hands.  I can tell you, they have prevented me from getting jobs (just at Chick-Fil-A and McDonald's).  I could understand Chick-Fil-A, being they're "Christian," but I never did understand McDonald's.  When I got the tatts, I didn't plan on doing anything wih myself again, ever.  That has changed, and luckily I was able to get hired somewhere else, other than the restaurant business.  But around this conservative area, tatts are still a bit stigmatized.  When I meet someone, the first thing they look at is the tatts on my hands and, depending on what kind of shirt I'm wearing, the tatt on my chest bone.  Most of the other ones are not visible.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:03:11 pm by BT65 »
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 09:42:05 am »
Yeah the one on my right hand was a bit problematic, but most of the time I wore gloves, cause I needed a good firm-grip on my PR-24 baton & 45 auto.   when I worked in the jail, I always wore rubber gloves, some of them suspects & criminals were just fucking filthy and had horrible BO  ::)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 12:41:24 pm »
Thanks for the compliments on the tat. We think they are very special, mainly because we designed them for us, to express our thoughts and feelings with body art. I take my tats very seriously and it took me almost 7 years to finish all of mine.  I used several artists and styles and then had a tattoo guru, custom design bringing all the tats together, blending my arms into my chest and neck.  The back was actually rather pain free, except when going over bone. Tats are also "constructed" in stages, with time between sessions to allow for healing. The first session usually involves placement of the tat and the outline, which is the heaviest and most painful part. After 10 days to two weeks, you get it filled in and start the healing process all over again.

What I can never understand is I see tats that are beautiful in design and just awful in application. Some of them look worse than a prison tattoo and I have to wonder what the wearer was thinking. You take the time to pick out some great art and then go cheap on getting it done and it looks like it and it is permanent. That's why my cardinal rules for tats are simple, go with something that you spend time actually thinking about and then find an artist to bring that art to life.

And a fair warning to folks, of all my tats, the most painful were the flames that go up my throat. I thought the outlining was intolerable, until I went back to have it filled. Think balls + vice + increasing pressure = enough said.  ;D

Offline bear60

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 03:11:37 pm »
Joe....
You hit on a very good point: if its worth doing , it should be done by someone who can make it come to life.
But you dont mention the price.  I was not in the least suprised to find that our bill came to 600 dollars for the two tats.
I look at you and some other people I know...and think...thousands of dollars.

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 04:56:57 pm »
Our back tats were $600 and we know we got a great deal, because the artist was challenged and she knew she could do it right. But you are right about the cost, all my tats, cost just shy of $3k, but then again, I am so worth it.  8)

Offline denb45

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 07:20:06 pm »
Our back tats were $600 and we know we got a great deal, because the artist was challenged and she knew she could do it right. But you are right about the cost, all my tats, cost just shy of $3k, but then again, I am so worth it.  8)

tell me about it Joe, I always wanted 2 full sleeves ( both arms) but could never muster up the 3 or 4K to get any of it done, I just gave up on all of it 10 yrs ago, when I  ran outta money  ;D

Offline SurvivorSteph

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 12:37:28 am »

This is what I did. It's tipped on edge, slowing the passage of time (the docs originally told me that I had 6-18 months to live). The pink "smoke" represents all of the things that coalesce around my life and contribute to longevity: friends, family, meds, surgeries, love, sex, work, travel, etc.

Offline deibster

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 08:11:33 pm »
Congratulations Steph; It looks great & I like the symbolism behind the design. Hugs from Provinceown, cape cod
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 12:08:36 pm »

This is what I did. It's tipped on edge, slowing the passage of time (the docs originally told me that I had 6-18 months to live). The pink "smoke" represents all of the things that coalesce around my life and contribute to longevity: friends, family, meds, surgeries, love, sex, work, travel, etc.

Great tat and I love your symbolism with the hour glass and pink smoke. As I looked at your tat, I also see something as well. To me, when I look at the pink smoke, I see that it is outlined in black and that to me, suggests that the pink is actually "covering" the black. Given the intent of the tat, I see the black as the difficult challenges life has presented, with the "smoke" being the essence of your being, forever blocking most of the darkness. It suggests that no matter how fast the darkness grows, your being will always be victorious. In my eyes, your tat takes on new dimensions that suggest multiple interpretations and that is what makes body art so fascinating to me.

added after looking a little longer, kudos on making the hour glass almost full, with little time having passed.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:14:06 pm by killfoile »

Offline SurvivorSteph

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 03:25:28 pm »
Great tat and I love your symbolism with the hour glass and pink smoke. As I looked at your tat, I also see something as well. To me, when I look at the pink smoke, I see that it is outlined in black and that to me, suggests that the pink is actually "covering" the black. Given the intent of the tat, I see the black as the difficult challenges life has presented, with the "smoke" being the essence of your being, forever blocking most of the darkness. It suggests that no matter how fast the darkness grows, your being will always be victorious. In my eyes, your tat takes on new dimensions that suggest multiple interpretations and that is what makes body art so fascinating to me.

added after looking a little longer, kudos on making the hour glass almost full, with little time having passed.

I LOVE the added symbolism! You, Joe, are awesome! Thanks for the comments.

Offline hudstar

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 09:56:18 am »
i got two tattoos during the course of my early HIV years. One was a symbol of my spiritual belief - earth based paganism -I used the symbol of creation to remind myself I was part of what was, what is and what will be. It was symbolic of a time we all thought having HIV = AIDS=DEATH. Years later I got another tattoo - the black rose with the sword of life piercing it. To me that meant a symbol of triumph. Both tattoos continue to give me personal satisfaction  ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:11:31 am by hudstar »
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline sorryass

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 01:30:24 pm »
I have no tatoo. Anywhere. I may get one soon.  To honour my mother.  My battle with Hiv has not so much been with my health, as with the people who have come to know I am hiv+.  I have learned through the school of H Knocks how to confront those bastards.  It hasn't been easy.

No tatoo, but I have worn my Medic Alert, HIV + braclet on my wrist for the past 20 years.  I hated it, at first.  In fact, I took it off, couldn't wear it.  About a month later, I reconsidered, I have worn it ever since.  It has been used.    HIV+ B.Allen      For the world to see.  Should they need to.

Bertram.
Once a gardener,...............er!

*Ritonavir 100mg 2-Day
*Etravirine 100mg 2-Day
*Raltegravir 400mg 2-Day
*Prezista 600mg 2-Day

Offline EggMan

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 03:48:27 am »
I also don't have any tatts but have always given them the thought if I find the one that I want I will get it and wear it proud but it had to be something very special to put on my body and be there for the rest of my life without regret.
I love the idea of this L T S and think it would be great to have a symble that represents the amount of years survived and certain marks could be added to this like a time line or symbles to represent a number of years ...to be fair to all but also to be special for those of us that are L T S prior 1995 or even 1990 and for those that are L T S from the mid 80s and or longer should have a symble but should all come together for all that have survived....  JMHO

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 09:06:18 pm »
I don't have a picture to put up, but I got a tattoo that symbolizes my fight... it's a song lyric by a band I love (combichrist) "Enslaved my soul, but I'll never surrender".  It goes from my wrist to my elbow.  I have a few other tattoos on my arm as well. I want it to be a part of an eventual sleeve.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:07:49 pm by decayingsinner »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 07:41:10 am »
DS,

I understand you meant well, but as someone not diagnosed before 1996 you should not be posting in the Long Term Survivor forum. Please read this forum's Welcome Thread and do not post here again. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline harleymc

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 09:50:27 am »
The end of the nineties marked a period where my health improved dramatically after a treatments change. I had struggled through university while my health was still dodgy and then.... back to full time work.

It was a bit of a new life time for me so a phoenix was the go for me. Not exactly the same as long term surviving... I'm not sure what your symbolic touchstone will be for you.  But the thing was the tattoo marked a significant moment for me and the particular design was unique.

Make sure your tatt is special for you and your circumstances.

Offline NekkidJoe

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 05:30:34 pm »

I did expect it to be buried with me many yrs ago (probably by the mid 00's),
so I'm quite pleased to still be kicking and still be able to go shirtless and show off my tat.

I don't have any tats but If I were to get one that would be it!
Who you are has no adjectives.

Tested Positive in 1988
Last VL 1880 6/15/11
Last CD4 697 6/15/11

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 07:06:38 pm »
I always assumed wrinkles would be my testament to long term survival :)
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 07:10:04 pm »
I always assumed wrinkles would be my testament to long term survival :)
they have botox and moisturizers to fix that LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 07:30:08 pm »
I have no tattoos...but I do have a fair amount of scars....
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 01:35:51 pm »
I chose a Scorpion for my strength and survival symbol. In Greek Mythology the myths associated with Scorpio (which is also my zodiac sign) almost invariably also contain a reference to Orion. According to one of these myths it is written that Orion boasted to goddess Artemis and her mother, Leto, that he would kill every animal on the earth. Although Artemis was known to be a hunter herself she offered protection to all creatures, so she sent a scorpion to deal with Orion. The pair battled and the scorpion killed Orion! However, the contest was apparently a lively one that caught the attention of the king of the gods Zeus, who later raised the scorpion to heaven, and afterwards, at the request of Artemis, did the same for Orion to serve as a reminder for mortals to curb their excessive pride, lol! I always thought I was little quiet tough one, too, and after my birthday last November 2010, and after 26 years of surviving hiv, I awoke that morning wanting to do something radical...so I went and got it done. The movie "The Scorpion King" also influenced me because the imagery of the scorpio was cool. And regarding Orion, it got me thinking that such a little creature can knock down a giant, and so far, I've battled my own war with hiv which has been the giant attacking me for so many years...but I plan to continue this personal war for as long as I can...
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 02:10:21 pm »
that's an excellent tale, Catman, and a very nice tat.  ;)
(mmm, nice arm too  8) )

Thanks too for the great pix. that definitely WAS worth the effort it took to learn how to post a pix. ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2011, 06:17:53 pm »
well, LookaLika...

Have you decided on a tattoo? I' gonna have to vote ofr catmans of the selection given so far....
though I do like the idea of the hourglass also....

Ronnie

"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2011, 11:58:16 pm »
When selecting a tattoo, the person has got to really like it beforehand because you'll be seeing it the rest of your life. I did research on mine months before just imagining it there. I searched via internet and enjoyed the different types of tattoo symbols and knew I wanted a scorpion long before selecting the one that I finally had done. Don't pick something common that everyone else has, but if you do, add a little personal touch to it by design or adding or mixing colors from the original. The more colors, the more expensive if it's done by a professional. I like mine so much that I'm thinking of adding something around the same area but I haven't decided yet...don't want to ruin it by overcrowding it! Also, keep it very clean and avoid sleeping on that area if you can while it heals. I was lucky I didn't bleed at all until I began to sweat a little on my way home (climate change from the parlor which had the air conditioner very cold) and every time I bathed, I applied cetaphil moisturizing lotion to keep the area moist so it wouldn't dry and peel too quickly. The following week I would clean the area with soap and water at least 3 times a day, apply the lotion, and had nothing pressing tight against the tattoo. In about 3 days some crusts began dropping when bathing but it's normal because it is an open wound, so you have so make sure people or pets don't touch it to avoid infections...and no sun for at least a month! I continued with the lotion even after it completely healed for a few more days. The area stays very sensitive after it heals but eventually goes away...
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.