Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:02:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 631
Total: 631

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Infection?  (Read 8088 times)

Offline ConfusedAndDistraught

• Standard
Infection?
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:22:49 pm »
I understand from reading on here and many other sites that 12 weeks can provide an accurate and conclusive test result. However, I am wondering if it is possible for someone to take up over 4 months to develop ars and if they got tested during that time and it was negative, would that still be conclusive?
 I know it is extremely rare to take 6 or more months, and that these situations (if they happen) have to do with extremely immune-suppressed individuals or some other severe situation must be occurring. How likely is it that someone would test negative via bloodtest at 4.5 months but positive at 6 months? What factors could contribute to this?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Infection?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:27:54 pm »
If you tested negative at 3 months it is conclusive and don't need any further testing. If one has ARS the symptoms come at 2-4 weeks post exposure and last 1-2 weeks. It isn't rare to take 6 months or longer, it doesn't happen.

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 02:36:43 pm »
Is this regardless of the level of risk? In the case of an extremely high risk how can someone be sure that their result was conclusive between the 3-6 month period with only one test?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 02:48:38 pm »
Is this regardless of the level of risk? In the case of an extremely high risk how can someone be sure that their result was conclusive between the 3-6 month period with only one test?
http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:21:25 pm »
The exceptions for testing up to 6 months are when longterm intravenous drug use is involved or organ transplant or treatment for a serious illness such as cancer.

Otherwise a negative result at 3 months is conclusive.

Don't make this more complicated than it really is. 
Andy Velez

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 09:57:46 pm »
How can you be so sure that The result will not change? I understand that most people test positive very quickly, but how can it be proved that only those under the circumstances you have mentioned could take longer to seroconvert? Especcially given that most people are not sure of their exact exposure date?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 10:24:05 pm »
How can you be so sure that The result will not change?

I am confused. Are you not sure of the date of your supposed risk?

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:34:04 pm »
No, sorry let me clarify. I know the exact date of my exposure at tested negative 4.5 months after. I am wondering how others can be sure that everyone (or everyone who does not suffer from ailments described above such as chemo, etc) will test positive by this time and not need to retest again at 6 months? Since many people do not know when they were exposed exactly, how can it be known that they tested within that time of exposure and that the majority will do the same? Sorry if thats confusing, i'm trying my best to clarify/explain my thoughts

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:40:32 pm »
Oh. Whew.

Frankly, it is the shockingly (not to me) large number of people who DO NOT know the exact date/moment of potential exposure that partially keeps the testing window at three months, and not lower.

I eagerly await the data that supports a six month timetable under any circumstances when the appropriate test is used for those in extreme circumstances.

The reason chemo extends the testing window is that certain chemotherapies completely suppress the immune system. Effectively destroy it, even. It takes some time for that system to build up enough to produce antibodies at all.

It is suggested that long term IV drug use also suppresses the immune system, but part of that paradigm must take into account the lack of true knowledge regarding the date of the last potential exposure.

In any case, you are reliable HIV negative. Cheers.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 02:09:50 am »
I would like to apologize for my PM, I just read the sticky post. Did not mean to break the rules.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 07:59:46 am »
Duly noted.

Rather than attempting to get into the details of your lengthy PM, I will just say simply that you are reliably and conclusively HIV negative. Period.

Get on with your life. HIV is not your problem. 
Andy Velez

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 07:38:37 pm »
Just wondering, I know I've read a bunch of times about the debate over whether or not simultaneous coinfetion of HCV and HEP will delay seroconversion..do you know of these cases were simply rare delayed seroconversion cases or if PEP usage was the reason for delay? I'd also like to know (if anyone knows this information) whether or not such cases happened recently or during early generation blood tests.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 10:22:03 pm »
Just wondering, I know I've read a bunch of times about the debate over whether or not simultaneous coinfetion of HCV and HEP will delay seroconversion..do you know of these cases were simply rare delayed seroconversion cases or if PEP usage was the reason for delay? I'd also like to know (if anyone knows this information) whether or not such cases happened recently or during early generation blood tests.
HCV is hepatitis. HCV does not delay seroconversion.

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 11:50:29 pm »
My mistake..I meant to write HCV and HIV..I know most people claim it does not delay seroconversion but in the studies of the HCWs with delayed seroconversion, do you believe that was because of their use of PEP or outdated testing if it had nothing to do with them being infected with both at the same time? (I'm unsure of the dates of these cases or the tests used, only that they happened and took much longer than any normal window period-claiming to take up to even a year in one case which I know would be unheard of now)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 02:03:11 am »
If I thought for a moment that there was ANY valid reason for you to worry about your HIV status, I would have mentioned it.

I am pretty sure that the consensus of the moderating staff is that we've done our best for you, and you are - by our standards - reliably HIV negative.

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 04:37:49 am »
Confused,

Coinfection with hiv and hcv has only ever been implicated in delayed seroconversion in a handful of injecting drug users (IDUs) who had poor immune systems due to living on the street and injecting street drugs, every day, for YEARS. I trust you do not fall into that category.

You never did tell us what you believe put you at risk for hiv infection, but regardless of what that was (or if it was even a risk in the first place) you are reliably and conclusively hiv negative.

Ah, I've just had a second look at your PM to JK that was reported yesterday and you were testing because you shared a needle with someone else. See, this is why we have a rule about using PMs to ask testing or transmission questions. If we're going to help you, we need the information here in the public forum, not in one or two PMs that have not been sent to all members. I removed your PM privilege, by the way.

While you're conclusively hiv negative, I suggest you also test for hep C. Hep C is MUCH more commonly transmitted through needle sharing. I should know, I used to have hcv for that very reason. Believe me, you don't want hcv. While it's true that one can be cured of hcv (I have been), the treatment is a nightmare. My year of treatment was easily the worst year of my life, and believe me, I've had some pretty bad years. 

So, to sum up, you are conclusively hiv negative. However, you do need to test for hep C. It could be why you feel unwell. A test for hep C will be conclusive at this point.

Even if you do test hcv positive, you are still conclusively hiv negative. You have only experimented with injecting drugs; you have not been doing it for years while living on the streets. You do not have a pre-existing compromised immune system.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 06:31:39 am »
I apologize again for my PMs..didn't read the sticky post until after I sent them. I tested negative for HEP at the same time as my HIV test. Going for a rapid test as well as another set of blood work today. The cases I was referring to though weren't IDU's...they were HCW's that had occupational exposures to patients with both HEP and HIV and their seroconversion was delayed. I don't know if this had to do with them using PEP or not.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 06:37:34 am »
Confused,

Yes, it would have been the PEP. This situation also does not apply to you.

You are conclusively hiv and hcv negative and your further testing is overkill.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 01:34:04 pm »
Thank you guys for responding and giving me advice on this tough situation. I got the rapid test done yesterday morning and it was negative. The woman told me I shouldnt be worried considering how the majority test positive by now but that I should come back in Sept which would be a little over the 6 months to be sure. I am trying so hard to believe I am negative I want to just put this behind me but I find myself waking up thinking about it and dreaming about it- I can't stop thinking that my result is going to change in the next 2-3 weeks. I hate that my mind thinks this way but I dont know what to do

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 02:29:29 pm »
Ann, I do not mean to continue to question anyones answers or opinions but I wanted to ask you because you have experienced both of these diseases..HCV window period online says it is 2-4 months and I tested negative at 132 days. I know you and many others say either HCV or HIV would have shown up by now but how can I be so sure when many articles say testing for needle incidents is often said to be 6months post exposure? One HCW tested negatuve until 1 year post exposure in a coinfecion situation and although I'm sure she was on PEP, even PEP should not delay seroconversion that long. Thanks so much

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 03:27:19 pm »
Confused,

You tested negative at 132 days and that's four and a half months. You are conclusively negative for both viruses.

The testing recommendation for HCWs is an out-dated CYA (cover your ass) policy that many hospitials still implement. It has no bearing on your situation.

You do not have hiv.

You do not have hcv.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

• Standard
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 04:19:45 pm »
I sincerely apologize, Ann. I never meant to be bothersome or repetitive I just cannot shake these thoughts and symptoms from my mind and it's all I want to do. I hope you realize how appreciative I am of your advice as well as the others who have lent their opinions in this time of need for me

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 08:51:03 pm »
Stop all this drama, really. You're HIV negative. Cut it out and get on with your life or you are going to end up getting yourself a Time Out from this site.

HIV is not your problem. Period.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.