Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:28:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773218
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 712
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 709
Total: 710

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A Call for Help...ACLU... Anyone have a connection?  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Jeffreyj

A Call for Help...ACLU... Anyone have a connection?
« on: May 08, 2007, 12:57:07 pm »
I was recently dropped from my private disability plan, without warning. They had been paying for 5 years, and just called me out of the blue, and said "you are no longer disabled."  My DR says I am, my body says I am. As some of you know, I have neuropathy, sero negative arthritis, fatigue, the list goes on. I'm on the last cocktail on top of all that.
Does anyone have a connection with the ACLU?

I just need to get in the door. My story/case is solid. I just feel this case needs to be told. Not only for me, but for the thousands of us who may someday need disability to survive.

Thank You so much.
Jeff...(who is being treated like dirt right now)
Positive since 1985

Offline DavidinCA92284

Re: A Call for Help...ACLU... Anyone have a connection?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:18:55 pm »
This sounds like it could be a case for a disability lawyer.   For instance, if a person goes out on a long-term disability for a particular illness, the definition of what qualified them for it in the first place can not change.  The definition can change for 'new' disability applicants, but your original qualification/designation can't change.    Now, if your health has improved whereas there is considerable improvement from where you were 5 years ago, then there could be a case for a 'review' of your claim.  However, there should be a 'review' process allowing you to produce the medical evenidence of why you're still disabled as per the original application. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:28:45 pm »
Jeffrey, if you haven't already called GMHC, I would suggest starting there. Because HIV is also a factor in your situation, I think their legal department could be helpful or at least point you in the right direction. Their HOTLINE # is 212 807 6655 and they can connect you with Legal.

ACLU might be helpful but I think it's best to begin with an agency that is likely to have had experience with such cases.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing with this disgusting situation. Hang in there!

Andy Velez

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 01:47:07 pm »
Thanks Andy and David, I am in the process of getting  legal help. I am amazed at the lack of support here in Phoenix. The aids legal services are very poor.

It has taken me 2 weeks to get a return call, and I've contacted dozens! Unreal.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I thought the ALCU would help gereate some action.
Positive since 1985

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 01:53:40 pm »
Often ASO's will link you with some place that provides pro bono services for things like this.  Maybe you should go camp out in the ASO's office until you get to speak to someone one-on-one.  I'd not sit around waiting for return phone calls with something like this.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 02:03:37 pm »
Sorry Jeffreyj, I hope this situation gets resolved quickly.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 02:28:21 pm »
Thanks man, I hope it get resolved too. Can you believe after 2 weeks of calls and emails, I just today got one response from a lawyer in Sacremento, Calif. UnREAL!
Positive since 1985

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 02:51:45 pm »
Oh, and I recall attending a lecture at Friends in Deed, NYC by this man Per Larson.  Evidently he's quite well known in this field, and has written a book about "Gays and Money" or something.  Here's an article by him:

http://www.thebody.com/content/money/art30522.html

I recall that he does "advice work" on issues like you are having, or would at least find a referral.  Scroll to the bottom and you'll find some disability articles by him as well as his email addy.  I always heard that he was the top guy on this issue in connection with HIV.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 03:19:20 pm »
Jeffreyj, does your insurance have an appeals process? You want to make sure that you have done everything possible, before involving attorneys. You don't want them to come back and say you didn't appeal or ask for a hearing before their review board. I know that you are upset, and are not up to par on your thinking. I don't think anyone would be, in your situation. Good luck to you Jeff.

Rodney

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 09:15:06 pm »
Rodney,
There is an appeal but they stopped paying me before I had a chance to appeal. That really pisses me off!
Positive since 1985

Offline Jody

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 10:35:56 pm »
Jeff...As Andy says contact GMHC and ASO's in your area...A lawyer may be willing to take your case with promise of payment should your payments be reinastated, I'm not sure if this is called pro bono payment...This is heart breaking, so many good folks rely on their relatively small payments to survive...Good luck and keep us posted.l   
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 10:43:52 pm »
fight da man!

Don't let the fuckers get away with this.

I am going through my own similar situation like this, Use the laws and rules against them... follow up with gmhc like andy suggested.

If your case is solid, you should be able to get probono work from a goodhearted lawyer.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 11:33:31 pm »
I'm not sure if this is called pro bono payment...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_bono

No, there are often groups of lawyers that do some work on the side for free... you know like giving to a charity but you are giving your time and smarts instead of a check. 

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 03:23:17 pm »
Damn it Jeff.

I hope some good laywer pickk up your case and wins it.

Hugs

hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline allanq

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 05:03:02 pm »
I just want to chime in to support philly267's mention of Per Larson.

I hired him 8 years ago to negotiate a viatical settlement for three life insurance policies. He was conscientious, scrupulously honest,
and did an outstanding job in getting me a very favorable settlement. His fee was reasonable (much less than what most lawyers get).

I don't know if he is still doing these kinds of private consults.

Allan

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 09:19:23 pm »
AllanQ the email was no good at that link philly posted. Do you have a recent email link for Per Larson? Thanks so much.
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 09:26:58 pm »
I'm just googling this information, mind you:

Per Larson
500 East 74th Street
New York, NY 10021
212-734-0941
212-734-0953 (fax)

http://www.gaymoney.com/biograph.htm

If that doesn't work call Friends in Deed in NYC.  He's given a lot of work shops there.  I'm sure they will have current contact info.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 09:29:06 pm by philly267 »

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 12:20:55 am »
Thanks Philly! It has been much more challenging that I thought to get a lawyer. Most are too busy, or just not interested. Thanks for this info. I remember looking at Per's website last year some time. Very good information. It would be awesome if I could get lucky here.

Positive since 1985

Offline brooklynpoz

• My Babies, Pepper (8) & Rocko (3)
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 05:51:11 am »
Hi,

I hired BINDER & BINDER, after applying for SSDI, and being denied.
I won my case in 4 months , not a year or longer as many believe.
They were excellent!!
Good Luck....     :)
Diagnosed, Monday,  8/9/2004, 1ST year was ruff , now I am well adjusted .
Current Med's ; Kaletra & Truvada
Undetecable,<48 ,  531 tcells, 21%
Keeping the faith, that they will get a cure in our lifetime.
LIVE , LOVE , LAUGH

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 03:49:33 pm »
Philly and allanq,
Thanks. I actually talked to Per today by phone. He is a great guy, sharp as a tack. He is referring a couple of lawyers for me .

He said there are only about 60 lawyers in the entire country,(USA) that would take my case on contingency. No wonder I have been having such a hard time finding someone!
Per is a sweetheart of a man.
Positive since 1985

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 04:37:56 pm »
Per IS an HIV treasure!  I'm glad I filed his name away in my head for a rainy day.  I have a couple of his old articles filed away somewhere from when I heard him talk, but it was long ago. 

Good to see some progress for you even if it's just a little it's a beginning.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.