Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:09:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 212
Total: 213

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Treatment adherence  (Read 7367 times)

Offline Blond37

Treatment adherence
« on: April 05, 2009, 01:35:55 pm »

hi-
no matter what medicine for what ailment, i am unable to adhere to treatment.. i'm supposed to be on atripla (one pill once a day) and cant even do that..

ive tried examining why i dont want to take my medicine.. just dont want to..

ive tried pill boxes (dont work), tried tie med time to walking the dog, tried "rewards" for taking my pills, tried having people remind..

just dont wanna...

Check me out in Poz magazine page 42, June 2010 :)

Offline a2z

Re: Treatment adherence
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 01:58:36 pm »
hi-
no matter what medicine for what ailment, i am unable to adhere to treatment.. i'm supposed to be on atripla (one pill once a day) and cant even do that..

ive tried examining why i dont want to take my medicine.. just dont want to..

ive tried pill boxes (dont work), tried tie med time to walking the dog, tried "rewards" for taking my pills, tried having people remind..

just dont wanna...

Yours words say you don't "want" to, and your explanation says "you are having trouble with adherance, but want to."  Or at least that's how I read it. 

If you really don't want to... you might need more help than the board can offer.  It's a good time to reach out and find a counselor.

If you are having trouble, all I can suggest is that before you start the next regiment of medicines, you try the "jellybean experiment" I found it somewhere on here, but it was using a pillbox and jellybeans instead of medicine.  I also got a vibrating alarm watch.

I started at 85% adherence for the month and went up to 100%.  But it took time.
I think I've only missed one dose.
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline Blond37

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 02:09:09 pm »
Yours words say you don't "want" to, and your explanation says "you are having trouble with adherance, but want to."  Or at least that's how I read it. 

If you really don't want to... you might need more help than the board can offer.  It's a good time to reach out and find a counselor.

If you are having trouble, all I can suggest is that before you start the next regiment of medicines, you try the "jellybean experiment" I found it somewhere on here, but it was using a pillbox and jellybeans instead of medicine.  I also got a vibrating alarm watch.

I started at 85% adherence for the month and went up to 100%.  But it took time.
I think I've only missed one dose.

oh yea i tried alarms- on my laptop, on my phone, etc etc..

i really dont want to ... period, sorry for the confusion :)

Offline Blond37

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 02:25:03 pm »
i guess i could just tell my doc, yea ya know i am aware of the consequences of not taking any of my meds and so be it. i dont want to. period.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 02:39:38 pm »
Did you say yes to treatment or did your doctor sort of force it on you?
Your post is ambivalent and murky.  You are posting here knowing you will most likely get responses with advice and support for treatment adherence.  But you just don't want it.

So rather than taking to the doctor about this, (what can he/she say - its unethical to accept lax adherence or to advise a break or permanent stop), I suggest you talk to long-term survivors, and people who have lost love ones to AIDS, and to a therapist.  It seems to me, an amateur, that you have ambivalence about mortality.  Why not explore that a bit and come out and declare your intentions and wishes - either you want to die, or you are risk-taker who thinks you will beat the odds.  You don't mention side effects being an issue. You don't mention some political or spritual objection to HAART. Just don't want to treat your HIV.

Find some reason that you can accept and stick to for your future. On treatment, or off... Share it with us here, it will be very interesting. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Blond37

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 02:43:38 pm »
Did you say yes to treatment or did your doctor sort of force it on you?
Your post is ambivalent and murky.  You are posting here knowing you will most likely get responses with advice and support for treatment adherence.  But you just don't want it.

So rather than taking to the doctor about this, (what can he/she say - its unethical to accept lax adherence or to advise a break or permanent stop), I suggest you talk to long-term survivors, and people who have lost love ones to AIDS, and to a therapist.  It seems to me, an amateur, that you have ambivalence about mortality.  Why not explore that a bit and come out and declare your intentions and wishes - either you want to die, or you are risk-taker who thinks you will beat the odds.  You don't mention side effects being an issue. You don't mention some political or spritual objection to HAART. Just don't want to treat your HIV.

Find some reason that you can accept and stick to for your future. On treatment, or off... Share it with us here, it will be very interesting. 

No side effex- from any of the meds i have been on.. ever.. i can take any of the meds out there and they will work,.. i know i know some people would kill for that..

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 02:49:54 pm »
... yet you just said in another thread that you take your androgel religiously.  This all seems to have a mental health component and it may be more useful for you to seek one-on-one counseling -- are you doing that at this time?  I'm cognizant of the fact that you're already fired your case manager, an ID doctor and two therapists so maybe that's not a great or realistic suggestion.

It's hard to discuss this on a forum when you just say "I don't want to" and don't delve any deeper.  I guess if you don't want to take your meds then you just are going to have to get so ill that you end up in a hospital before you change "don't want" to "want".  It is what it is.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Blond37

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 02:51:21 pm »

ugh why do i ever bother to post here.. BYE

Offline Blond37

DELETE PROFILE?
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 02:53:46 pm »

HOW DO I DELTE MY PROFILE?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 02:57:29 pm »
You can't, nor will the moderators delete it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Blond37

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 02:58:46 pm »

YEA RIGHT THERES NO WAY TO DELETE MY PROFILE (I DONT MEAN MY POST)

Offline Blond37

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 03:00:36 pm »
ANYTHING FROM HERE IS BEING TREATED AS SPAM EFFECTIVE IMMEDITALY

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 03:08:40 pm »
Blond,

I'm not sure what you were expecting when posting that you don't want to take your meds. If you don't take them, you'll eventually get sick and die, and unfortunately, as many here will tell you, it's not a quick and painless death. People are going to tell you that because it's just the truth of the matter.

However, if you still don't want to take your meds even while knowing what the consequences are, then you have that right.

If you want to stop feeling like you don't want to take your meds, then that's something you'll need to take up with a therapist. Although we can offer you moral support, we, in all honesty, cannot take the place of intensive, one-on-one therapy. There's only so much an internet forum can offer.

Good luck to you, no matter what you decide to do.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline a2z

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 06:38:07 pm »
ugh why do i ever bother to post here.. BYE

Because maybe you want a sympathetic ear and/or someone to care enough to help save you.

You need to want to save yourself otherwise no one can really help... please, please, please  consider reaching out to a counselor.  I'm all for the right to die, but man.... this sounds like a choice you made out of frustration or whim.  And it's a whim you can't easily take back.

Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline clsoca

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 05:35:11 pm »
One of my close friends once had a hard time being adherent a few years ago. He caught phenomena and spend 3 months in the hospital with no paycheck. After that he was adherent.
10/07 Infected
11/07 Seroconversion
07/08 Tested Poz
07/08 VL 487  CD4 658  (No Meds)
10/08 VL 286  CD4 724  (No Meds)
01/24/09 VL 30,100   CD4 329 CD4 30% (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 367 CD4 36%  Blood Work @ UCLA (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 317 CD4 35% Blood Work @ USC (No Meds)
02/12/09 VL 52,000   CD4 297 CD4 29%
02/12/09  Started Atripla
04/01/09 VL 60  CD4 667   CD4 48%
06-05-09  VL UD CD4 427   CD4 39%

Offline tamsinasia

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 08:35:07 am »
Yes, a nice little case of AIDS with a few opportunistic infections such as a deadly lymphoma, a year of unemployment, no appetite and severe weight loss, night sweats, lost friends, hurt family, not enough energy to get out of bed...just might do the trick.  Count your blessings dearie, and get with the program.  A simple alarm clock with a daily setting next to your bed should do the trick.  Otherwise, as others have advised, seek professional help.  "I just don't want to" sounds a wee bit childish, no? 

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 07:09:06 am »
Has anyone seen the watch that you can your put medicine list and time your supposed to take them.A few years ago I had seen them in the POZ magazine.But have not seen them in a while.Right now I can put medicine list in cell phone but you can not set alarm to take medicines.Would appreciate if any one knows about what I am talking about.
Scooter

Offline mmj520

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 07:26:34 pm »

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 08:14:38 pm »
Thank you very much I had seen it in the poz.com a few years ago then puff nothing.
Scooter

http://www.epill.com/goaladherence.html 

Offline poz4afewyears

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 05:07:58 pm »
What is the point of this thread?

I don't want to go downstairs for a glass of water. I just don't. You can't make me. I will not do it. Stop trying to convince me.  >:(

Offline mmj520

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 05:28:21 pm »
I keep hoping blond37 will return and let us know how he is doing.  At some point, it's okay to just "wanna" and return.  With the Atripla all-in-one combo, it seems so simple but one missed dose is EVERYTHING.  My 3 pills isn't too bad.  Last night I missed the evening dose of Viramune. After filling the pillbox for the week, I could not recall if I had taken the second Viramune.  Most likely I filled the box and just put one in the Friday rather than two since one remained to be taken.  Second missed dose this year of one Viramune.   Never have missed the Truvada. 

One Truvada One Viramune 6am daily, 8am at the latest.  That rarely happens.  Second whenever I think of it after 1pm usually, always before 6pm.  some patients I was told by my doc take both Viramune together "off label" so they won't forget.  I don't wanna rock the boat and try that.  It's working so well as prescribed.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.