Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 379
Total: 379

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Questions about Oraquick oral swab and more  (Read 36745 times)

Offline longwalk

Questions about Oraquick oral swab and more
« on: July 08, 2006, 05:45:51 pm »
Hey Guys, I just discovered this site and it is phenomenal.  Thanks for the work and the info that is available.  I hope you can put my soul to rest.  I am 49, diabetes type 2 but under control, married with kids.  In September, 2005, I had a high risk encounter...homosexual, unprotected, oral and anal sex, I was the "bottom."  I do not know the HIV status of my partner, though he claimed to be negative.  I do not know if he ejaculated because I was drunk.  I went through a period of what could have been symptoms of infection, but they could have been other stuff (my family was passing around colds, ear infections, and I had diverticulitis twice).  I tried to learn some things, and tested finally on June 11 (8 months and 2 weeks after the encounter).  The test was the Oraquick Rapid HIV Antibody test, the oral swab.  I was being treated with Cipro (antibiotic) and Flonase (a mild corticosteroid inhalant for allergies) at the time of the test (I used the Flonase probably 3-4 hours before test) - plus some maintenance meds for diabetes (metformin and lisinopril).  I tested negative, but there is so much misinformation out there, and I have been an anxious wreck since that time, worried about a false negative.  Is testing within the window period (3-6 months) the only factor that could lead to a false negative, or are there others?   Is it possible I could have delayed seroconversion for 8 months?  Should I be retested?  Can I resume unprotected sexual intimacy with my wife?  Since my test, I have had some ongoing things that could be symptoms of acute infection...could HIV cause ongoing symptoms months after initial infection?  I guess I need to know how to move on from here, and believe the test results.  I hope you can help.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Questions about Oraquick oral swab and more
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 05:52:00 pm »
Nothing you have reported in the way of either medications or health problems would invalidate your negative test result at 3 months or more. There's no need for re-testing. Should you have cause to test again  in the future 13 weeks after a risky incident is what the CDC recommends.

You need to learn from this experienced. Receptive unprotected anal intercourse is at the very top of risky activity in relation to HIV. Happily you have scooted by safely this time but you certainly can't always count on that being the case.

Read the lesson on transmission on this site which you get to through the link in the first thread in this section.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline longwalk

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 08:07:21 pm »
Thanks, Andy...and I realize that my encounter was stupid and very high risk.  I feel very fortunate.  Are there any factors that could lead to a false negative that I have not considered?  I want to make sure that I am negative before moving on to intimacy again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 06:33:05 am »
longwalk,

False negatives don't really happen. There are early negatives, when someone tests to soon, but you tested five and a half months after the end of your window period. Your test result is absolutely conclusive. You did not become infected with hiv through your encounter.

Hiv isn't a punishment handed down from the heavens to people who have same sex encounters or stray from their marriage. Its a virus and either you become infected or you don't. You didn't.

The best way to not become infected is it make sure you use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse every time, no exceptions.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline longwalk

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 09:53:35 am »
Ann, thanks for that note.  "Early" negatives are a much better of classifying the issue for me.  I waited 8 months and 2 weeks because I wanted to be well outside of the window period...but in my fear, I kept looking for other reasons to invalidate the test.  Again, thanks for the great service you do.  I have learned a valuable lesson.  I know my wife is negative, so am I safe to not use a condom with her?  Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 10:54:05 am »
Longwalk,

Yes, you can resume sexual activities with your wife without fear of infecting her with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline longwalk

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 12:38:32 pm »
Hey Guys, I have a couple of questions.  (1) I thought I read somewhere in all these posts where Ann said that oral hairy leukoplakia is not exclusive to HIV infection as the internet would have you believe if you searched for it.  Is that correct?  (2)  Andy, on a recent answer you said that RNA tests are extremely sensitive, and are therefore more prone to a false negative.  I thought it was the other way around, that sensitive meant more prone to false positive and specific more prone to false negative.  What am I getting wrong here - or is it the difference in antibody tests and RNA tests.  Thanks for your answers.

Offline longwalk

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 02:36:03 pm »
Hey, I am sorry about doing that wrong.  I didn't completely understand the instructions.  So...I need help.  I am still very worried about my test result, mainly because of the seriousness of the exposure risk and the fact that, nearly a year later, I am having unexplainable symptoms.  Raw and irritated throat and ear congestion for 2 months, my tongue is coated and looks ravaged, I have lost a total of 40 pounds since the encounter and can't seem to gain weight, and I have strange burning sensations on my skin.  My doctor cannot explain it...he knows about my exposure risk and tells me to trust the test.  I fear he may be taking my concerns lightly because of obsession with HIV.  I don't want you to comment on the symptoms (unless they are truly consistent with HIV after one year)...but more on the test.  Could it have failed?  It was an Oraquick Advance Rapid oral swab test.  Would the control line appear if not enough material was collected and processed properly?  Could I have seroconverted late?  Help me through this, please.

Offline clarke

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 03:37:27 pm »
My feeling is that you should go ahead and get a blood test for HIV.  At least that way you can either rule it out (or factor it in). 

Is there a clinic you can go to for an anonymous test?  If so, I'd go ahead and see them. 

From my perspective, it's better to know, than to worry and not know for sure.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 03:42:26 pm »
Clarke,

Longwalk has tested - in fact he's tested eight and a half months after his incident occurred and he is without doubt hiv negative.

Longwalk,

If you feel your doctor isn't taking your physical concerns seriously, then maybe it's time to change doctors. Whatever you do, rest assured that the cause of your problem is NOT hiv. You are conclusively hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 06:28:18 pm »
Longwalk,

The danger in chasing hiv in your situation is that it may be distracting you from equally serious health issues.

You have ruled out hiv, work with your doctor (or another one, from the sound of your current one) to get to the bottom of your significant weight loss and other issues.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline longwalk

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 06:35:59 pm »
Hey guys, me again.  Thanks for the encouragement and the challenges about a new doctor.  I am considering it.  After reading a few more threads, and posts, and other sources, I still am uncertain about seroconversion.  After my exposure risk in September, 2005, I had numerous sick episodes...infected tooth, sinus infection, diveritculitis.  From September until late November, I had Cipro (antibiotic), flagyl (antibiotic), penicillin for a short time, and bactrim (not all at once, but one after the other, with a two or three week break in between).  Is there any chance that I was immune-suppressed encough during that time period to have delayed seroconversion?  Could it have been delayed 8.5 months, until my test in June?  All the clutter of information really freaks me out...but I am listening to you guys.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 12:11:25 am »
Long,

The short answer is no.  None of those medications would delay your production of anitbodies.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 05:41:57 am »
Longwalk,

The vast majority of people who have actually become infected with hiv will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS. Your test at eight and a half months is completely accurate and conclusive. None of the health problems or treatments you report would change that in the slightest.

Hiv is NOT a punishment for having sexual relations with another man, no matter what your church and/or the media say to the contrary. It's just a virus. Some people become infected and others don't. You didn't. Learn your lesson over this - make sure condoms are being used for intercourse - and you will continue to avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple. Seriously.

You are hiv negative and it's time to put this behind you and get on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline longwalk

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 12:53:04 pm »
Hello Ann and others, thank you again for your encouragement to move on.  I really am trying.  One last question...I hope.  I referred in my first post to the fact that I am diabetes type 2.  My only treatment thus far is diet, metformin for glucose control, and lisinopril (ACE inhibitor for blood pressure, very mild).  I have things pretty much under control.  I read on some medical web site that diabetes is considered "immunosuppressed."   Could any of those factors have either effected my seroconversion or my test?  Thanks for putting up with these relentless questions...it means the world to me.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 02:11:32 pm »
longwalk,

When I said that none of your health problems or their treatments would make any difference to your hiv test, I remembered the diabetes - and all the other issues you bring up as well. My answer remains the same. You have conclusively tested negative. An eight and a half month negative test result is absolute solid gold. A test at three months would have sufficed.

You are hiv negative, without doubt. Protect your negative status by ensuring that condoms are used in these situations from now on. OK? Good. And remember, hiv is not a punishment rained down from on high.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline longwalk

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 01:52:47 pm »
Hey Guys, its me again after more than a month of being away.  Your help in the past was tremendous, helped me through some difficult times.  I recently read that the Oraquick Advance Rapid test (the oral swab) was discontinued in a couple of places because of inaccurate test results.  OUch, that freaked me out, because that is the test I used.  Whats up with that?  Is that test reliable?  Can I have confidence in the negative test result that I had?  Please help me with this one.  And keep up the good work...and I hope I did this right.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 02:05:42 pm »
The Oraquick has always been more sensitive than accurate. It's the (wise) choice made by the maker of the product, and why a positive result on an Oraquick test is PART of an HIV diagnosis, but NOT the end of the line.

The oraquick will sometimes show up as a faintly positive (which is more accurately an "intermediate") result in someone who is NOT infected with HIV. Obviously, a subsequent blood draw and ELISA/WB test will confirm that.

The number of so-called "false positives" is something that the HIV testing industry is still looking at, and clinics are making strides to report these events to the appropriate agencies as well as to the makers of the tests. Obviously, over time, these tests will continue to be fine-tuned. But even as they currently exist, they remain one of the more accurate first-line tests in existence.

And no, there is no evidence of a false-negative phenomenon, when the test is administered at the appropriate time.

The test is very, very reliable.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline longwalk

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 03:18:03 pm »
Thanks for the quick response and encouraging answer.  I suspected that, but I am still in "worried well" recovery, so your response was very much appreciated.  Keep up the awesome work you are doing!

Offline longwalk

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 02:30:06 pm »
Hey Ya'll, I have one more question, and then I think I am done with postings here.  I have been through 2-3 months of "worried well" hell, and the AidsMeds team have helped me regain my sanity and take some very positive actions.  Thank you all.    As I have read on this forum, and others...and yes, other sites and forums across the WWW, I have noticed so many hundreds of people who have tested negative again and again...sometimes very early, others very late (like me).  You and others always encourage them to trust their test results and to move on.  My question:  do you ever hear of anyone of those folks (or others) who test negative, only to return and say that their negative test was wrong, and that they are really positive?  Thus far, I can't remember one time where that happened, out of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of posts I have read.  Even in the new forum "I Just Tested Poz" I have not read anyone who tested negative first, then came back positive.  So...the encouragement and challenge to trust the test and move on is a good one...difficult for any number of reasons for those of us who are "worried well"...but a challenge we must embrace.  I thank you again for consistently telling me to trust the test and move on.  I am doing that.  May the road rise up to greet us all.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 03:26:27 pm »
If your test was done at the 13 week mark your negative reliable.

Offline trsmt

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2006, 04:02:10 pm »
Longwalk,

I can tell you that I totally relate to all your anxiety, concerns, etc.  I tested negative 5 weeks ago.  I was exposed to someone who was positive for 5 years from 1993-1998.  I was in disbelief when the negative results were given to me.  Rather than being elated (as I should be), I began having doubts, doubts that everyone at the site, my doctors, the health dept. the CDC, everyone I could think of have told me are unrealistic and my negative test is 100% conclusive.  It's still a daily battle for me.  I wish you all the best.  Those of us who are dealing with this need all the help we can get!  Take care.

Offline longwalk

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 01:46:03 pm »
OK, I am back.  I had a couple of disturbing conversations with "HIV experts" this past week at a community event, and wanted to pass what I heard along and again get your input.  My trust level is higher on this site than anywhere else, except for maybe my clinic where I was tested.  Anyway...a testing counselor at another local clinic (AIDS Survival Project) said "no test is absolute or conclusive at 8 months...(which is when I tested after unknown possible exposure).  The person could have been on HAART, or had a weak strain...or something else.  You need to get retested at one year for certainty."  I know that violates CDC guidelines, and even this organizations own website...but what gives???  Is that true?  Secondly, another person said that HIV tests are reliable, but if "clinical symptoms continue" (meaning like ARS symptoms that continue for months on end) then retesting is warranted...regardless of how long after possible exposure you were tested.  He referred to a CDC website when challenged about this.  Again, what gives??  My testing counselor at AIDAtlanta said "you are negative, conclusive".  So did you guys.  Am I to discount what I heard from these others?  So much confusion, I want to move on and forget about it, but all this conflicting info screws me up.  Help!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 02:13:21 pm »
What you heard elsewhere is just BULL. Just because someone is on HAART doesn't prevent HIV. Only condoms can help in the prevention of HIV.

Offline longwalk

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 02:36:35 pm »
RapidRod, I think their point was that testing at 8 months was inconclusive because of effects of medication on the positive partner...perhaps weakening the HIV in transmission and causing either a slower seroconversion or something....  I don't know...I was flustered at the statement and kind of moved on.  But...are you saying that both comments I heard were BULL.  I hope so.  A bit more clarification would  be helpful. 

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 02:45:30 pm »
RapidRod, I think their point was that testing at 8 months was inconclusive because of effects of medication on the positive partner...perhaps weakening the HIV in transmission and causing either a slower seroconversion or something....  I don't know...I was flustered at the statement and kind of moved on.  But...are you saying that both comments I heard were BULL.  I hope so.  A bit more clarification would  be helpful. 

The medications a partner is taking has no bearing on your immune system mounting a response against the HIV virus if you had actually been exposed to it.  Whoever told you that doesn't have any idea about science or medicine.  HAART is excellent for HIV positive patients as it can slow down viral replication and reduce the number of viral copies to undetectable levels in HIV POSITIVE people. There is some thought that people on HAART are less likely to transmit the virus when their viral load is very low (though remember this does not mean it isn't possible, just one viral particle infecting one cell could result in infection and one should always practice safer sex) Nonetheless had you hypothetically been infected, the fact that your partner was on HAART would make no difference to your immune response.

Your testing time was well outside the necessary window, making you conclusively negative.  Time to move on.

Offline longwalk

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 02:53:13 pm »
Hey, thanks for that response.  What about the other issue, that the CDC recommends retesting if there are "clinical symptoms" that extend for a significant period of time?  I certainly have had some, though I am trying to embrace the mantra "testing trumps symptoms every time."  And, again, for clarity...even if a poz partner is on anti-viral therapy, it is not the "quality" of what they give, it is the response of my immune system that matters...and that will always (well, 99.9%) respond within the window period of 13 weeks?  Thanks again for responding.

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 03:04:38 pm »
Hey, thanks for that response.  What about the other issue, that the CDC recommends retesting if there are "clinical symptoms" that extend for a significant period of time?  I certainly have had some, though I am trying to embrace the mantra "testing trumps symptoms every time."  And, again, for clarity...even if a poz partner is on anti-viral therapy, it is not the "quality" of what they give, it is the response of my immune system that matters...and that will always (well, 99.9%) respond within the window period of 13 weeks?  Thanks again for responding.

With all due respect, i'm assuming the majority of these "clinical symptoms" have been diagnosed by you. You have to remember that you're someone who's worried about HIV, feeling guilty for being a little irresponsible and not at all trained to be diagnosing clinical symptoms. Additionally, as i'm sure you know symptoms tell nothing of HIV infection.  Moreover ARS is not a chronic condition, it generally comes and goes.  If you truly are having symptoms (that aren't stress/worry related) then it could be anything, remember there's lots of virus and bacteria out there besides HIV. You need to see your doctor to help you diagnose any real symptoms - what we can say is it is not HIV related.  Could it be stress? Have you talked with any counselors to help you accept your negative result?

And again, no it does not matter what the partner is taking - they don't transfer the HAART along with the virus (though maybe that'd be a good kind of futuristic medicine). If you truly had gotten HIV it would have begun growing and replicating like wild in your body as this would have been a favorable environment - no HAART to suppress its activity and you would of developed antibodies well within the time you've been tested.

Offline longwalk

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 03:16:52 pm »
OK...thanks, ScienceGuy.  I accept that.  I agree with your symptoms assessment...I was only quoting what the speaker said, and admitting that - accoring to all the info out there, had some symptoms that were similar to HIV infection.  I recognize that they all are consistent with other conditions, including stress...which is most likely my underlying issue.  Yes, I am doing psychotherapy with a psychologist...CBT, and it is helping significantly.  Medication helps as well for depression and anxiety.  I am under a doctor's care, who I have disclosed my "non-exposure" and testing to, and he is paying attention.  I am fighting like a son-of-a-bitch to leave worried well hell..."gotta kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight."  You guys have helped me along the way.  The only reason I wrote - really - is because, with a beer in my hand, enjoying the day, I heard two comments from supposed "HIV experts" that were inconsistent with all the info I had received.  I know that happens...now I have my answers from the forum I trust the most.  Thank you. 

Oh, one last question...ScienceGuy, are you an "approved" responder to questions like mine?  Do you have a clinical background?  No offense or slight intended...I just don't think I have seen you post before, so I was wondering.  Your profile only states you as a member, so I hope you are qualified.  That's all. 

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2006, 03:22:18 pm »
OK...thanks, ScienceGuy.  I accept that.  I agree with your symptoms assessment...I was only quoting what the speaker said, and admitting that - accoring to all the info out there, had some symptoms that were similar to HIV infection.  I recognize that they all are consistent with other conditions, including stress...which is most likely my underlying issue.  Yes, I am doing psychotherapy with a psychologist...CBT, and it is helping significantly.  Medication helps as well for depression and anxiety.  I am under a doctor's care, who I have disclosed my "non-exposure" and testing to, and he is paying attention.  I am fighting like a son-of-a-bitch to leave worried well hell..."gotta kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight."  You guys have helped me along the way.  The only reason I wrote - really - is because, with a beer in my hand, enjoying the day, I heard two comments from supposed "HIV experts" that were inconsistent with all the info I had received.  I know that happens...now I have my answers from the forum I trust the most.  Thank you. 

Oh, one last question...ScienceGuy, are you an "approved" responder to questions like mine?  Do you have a clinical background?  No offense or slight intended...I just don't think I have seen you post before, so I was wondering.  Your profile only states you as a member, so I hope you are qualified.  That's all. 

Longwalk

I have only been around this site for a few months. My qualifications are a B.S. in Human Physiology, an M.S. in Biology and Biochemistry and currently in the middle of working on my PhD in immunotherapy (immunology, hematology/oncology). So while i'm not a certified HIV counselor - I think i'm qualified to answer your questions.

Offline longwalk

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 05:56:22 pm »
Fair enough, and I agree.  And I do not mean to sound ungrateful, I do appreciate your responses. 

Is it too much to be asking of Ann or Andy if they concur with your observations?  I would appreciate that very much, because I think these are very legitimate questions, and not wholly fueled by worried well angst. 

Thanks again.

Offline longwalk

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2006, 03:13:49 pm »
Hey, I am back again because I have not been able to get past some of the comments made by HIV test counselors in my home town a couple of weeks ago.  Obviously, I do not need to review my issues...but here is the question.  I know the mantra is "tests always trump symptoms"...but, is there any way for the test to fail?  In procedure, or some other condition?  I am one year past my possible exposure, and I have symptoms that my doctor cannot completely track or explain.  Elevated CRP.  Itching and burning skin in arms and shoulders.  Lots of skin issues, like cherry angiomas and other bumps that are not easily identifiable.  Ongoing throat discomfort, ongoing white patch on tongue, ongoing fluctuations in temp (within "normal ranges" up to 99.2).   Please, answer...is it possible the test failed (oraquick advance oral swab at 8.5 months) and these are symptoms of HIV (not ARS, but a more advanced infection)?  Should I get retested - I was very high risk.  Or should I shut up and move on?  I have a wife, children...will they be safe if I put this behind me? 

Offline longwalk

Re: 2 tests to confirm positive status
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 11:23:12 am »
Hey, so sorry about your diagnosis, but as you can see the support and energy are there, and you have hope you can grab hold of.  Good luck.

I have a question...you said you tested negative in May.  Then positive later.  I do not want to pry, and of course you do not have to respond...but how did that happen?  What kind of test resulted in negative?  In May, did you test within the 13 week window?  Or did you have a high risk encounter after that but before the positive test result? 

The reason that I am asking is that so many say that a negative test result at 13 weeks or beyond is conclusive.  Your information could be helpful to many. 

Again, may strength be yours as you journey through this, and may the road rise up to greet you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2006, 09:52:51 pm »
Longwalk,

I removed the post you made in the "I Just Tested Poz" forum and put it here, in your own thread, which is the ONLY place you should be asking questions. A person who has just been diagnosed has more important things on their minds than answering your intrusive questions.

If you'd bothered to read Racing's posts carefully, you would have read where he said "I had tested negative in May, and then positive the first week of September, so I guess I caught it early." In other words, he became infected AFTER he tested in May. He didn't say "why did it take so long to show" or any thing else you would expect for it to have anything to do with the questions you are asking. Now don't let me catch you in that forum again.

If you had bothered to read the Welcome thread, you would know you should not be posting in the other areas (except for Off Topic and the Blog forums).

You are absolutely, conclusively hiv negative and it's high time you moved on with your life. If you cannot accept your negative status, then perhaps its time you sought counseling.

And by the way, do NOT use the PMs to contact newly diagnosed people either. Show a little courtesy and have a little respect for someone who has just had their world turned upside down. They aren't here to assuage your fears that have no basis in hiv testing technology.

Ann
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 10:02:04 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline longwalk

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2006, 10:55:30 am »
Ann - and to others - Truly, truly, I am sorry.  I read the Welcome thread, and was a bit confused about how to post that question.  I apologize, and certainly did not want to intrude.  I did read the posts more carefully after I posted, saw that statement, and wished I could retract my question.  I am not a jerk, and certainly had no intention to offend.  Certainly you can see the issue...negative, then positive a few months later?  Of course the assumption is exposure after the first test...but maybe not?  That could be of interest to someone who has tested positive.  I am accepting my negative status, gratefully and humbly...but it is still the scariest thing in the world I have ever encountered.  Thanks for putting me in my place...literally.  If you note my activity logs, I have not been here in a while.   Moving on is happening, just not easy.

Offline longwalk

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2006, 10:57:22 am »
By the way, did I contact someone through PM that was newly diagnosed?  I don't remember doing so, and I don't think I would...like I said, not a jerk, just scared.  It won't happen.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2006, 03:06:08 pm »
Long,

I was warning you about using the PMs - just in case you got it into your head to repeat your question to Racingmind that way. I don't think you're necessarily a jerk, but you certainly did allow yourself to be blinded to common courtesy.

If you continue to have problems with moving on, I would suggest you get yourself some counseling.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline longwalk

Oraquick Accuracy Questioned
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 02:56:24 pm »
Hey Guys - over two years ago, I came to this forum to get help, encouragement and information about a possible HIV exposure and testing.  You helped me then - and again I thank you all - and I moved on with my life.  So far, so good!

Two days ago, I read in the news about a Seattle clinic who was claiming that a study they had done indicated that the Oraquick Advance Rapid testing (same as I used, the oral fluid, 20-minute screening test) was not as accurate as the makers claimed...and said that a fairly high percentage (over 10%) of those shown to be HIV positive were shown as negative on the test.

So...I am a little concerned, but not irrational yet.  I wanted to find out what you guys think, and if there is need for retesting (over three years after possible exposure).  I tested negative, and eventually accepted that and moved on...now this report!  WTF?

I know there is a lot of gobble-de-gook out there about HIV testing, so I came where I thought I could get up-to-date and accurate information.

Thanks for your work, and thanks for helping me.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 03:21:36 pm »
long,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

I believe the jury is still out on what was causing the false negs - possibly a bad batch. However, considering you tested 8.5 months post unprotected anal intercourse, I'd say it's still safe to believe your negative result.

If you have doubt, go get a blood test done. I don't expect anything other than another negative result and you should expect the same. Provided, of course, that you haven't put yourself at risk again in the meantime.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.