Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:19:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 609
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CD4% Clarifying what it means?  (Read 3160 times)

Offline wiser

CD4% Clarifying what it means?
« on: April 15, 2008, 09:05:07 pm »
Can anyone reinforce or explain a bit the significance of the CD4% as opposed to the T Cell count in terms of assessing how well the immune system is functioning?

I've been taking Sustiva/Truvada(Atripla) for about 3 years. Been HIV+ since May 2004. My VL has been <50 since starting treatment and T Cell count went from a low of 89 to 234. The T cells have pretty much plateaued at 230 for over a year now, which had me a little discouraged. My last labs showed a drop in T Cells to 174 (Jan 2008). I am demoralized with that news as I keep wanting to see T cells move to the 300s at least. But they don't budge and now have for the first time taken a down turn. My doctor told me today to focus on the CD4% which has gone from 11% to 39% since starting treatment and has continued to rise. I reread the Lesson on this site on T cells and CD4% as I had not gone reviewed this since 3 years ago. But I am confused/ T Cells below 200 put one at high risk for pneumonia and other OIs. So that is bad news. BUT CD4% AT 39% is quite good and suggests the immune system has had some reconstituiton and should work moderately well. That is good news. Does the CD4% trump the low T Cell count in terms of my assessing how strong my immune system is? I had blood work done today so I will see if the drop in T-cells was a one time blip rather than a trend. My doctor is putting the focus on the CD4% for now. It just feels like he is trying to make me feel good and not panic at the sudden drop in T Cells from 230 to 174 ... which feels ominous to me.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: CD4% Clarifying what it means?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 09:25:42 pm »
Well, your doctor is on the right track here.

The absolute CD4 count is prone to wild fluctuations. Things which can affect your CD4 absolute level include the time of day, whether you slept well the night before, if you've given the booze a bit of a nudge and so on.

The CD4 percentage is considered to be a more reliable indicator of immune function because it's less prone to such fluctuations and can gives a clearer picture of how your immune system is travelling. Indeed a percentage of 39 is very good as it is within the normal range and suggests that you're probably not gonna be wiped out by an OI.

In any event, I'd trust my doctors advice if I were you. You're doing well.

MtD

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 03:12:59 am »
Both CD4 count and CD4% are good indicators of immune system's health.

CD4 count varies by time of day, whether you slept, had a cold etc - and from test to test because CD4 counts are only accurate to +/- 50. CD4% varies less on an hour to hour basis, but it still varies.  You need to look at the trend for both.

Regardless of CD4%, CD4 count -- if it's accurate -- is predictive of the risk of opportunistic infections, 200 being the critical cut-off.

Your rise in CD4% probably represents a great improvement in your immune function. Whether you have reached a plateau remains to be seen. A result like yours -- lower CD4 count for the CD4% than expected -- needs to be read with a full white blood count. CD4% is your CD4 count as a % of all white blood cells. If you have less white blood cells for some reason, the % will be higher. A CD4 test only indicates the number of CD4 cells in your blood. Most of your CD4 cells are is somewhere else, eg lymph nodes. Hence my comment on the count being accurate.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline wiser

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:44:33 pm »
Thanks to both of you. You gave me the clarification and reinforcement I needed.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.