Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:19:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 342
Total: 343

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV plushies - love or hate?  (Read 4352 times)

Offline GNYC09

HIV plushies - love or hate?
« on: September 02, 2009, 06:37:51 pm »
Today I found out that the company GIANTmicrobes makes HIV plushies.  I was bothered by the idea.  I admit I did consider buying one but that was to use it as a voodoo doll.  I do however like their white blood cell plushies.  What's your take on them?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Snowangel

Re: HIV plushies - love or hate?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 06:53:59 pm »
The only thing that I like is the embroidered red ribbon, otherwise they look pretty creepy!

I think ,TY needs to come out with a HIV awareness beanie baby so it will be more mainstream.

How can anyone understand what those blobs are without some kind of explanation?

My vote is Hate it!
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:02:49 pm »
Neutral. Its a free market, if it appeals to some buyers, who cares. As a symbolic object, i'd say its not stupid.  Looks menacing, but it's a plushy too.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:05:30 pm »
How can anyone understand what those blobs are without some kind of explanation?

My vote is Hate it!

I'm with you SnowAngel.  Hate them.  These things have low value (except for the makers -- I don't see anywhere that they perhaps donate part of the profits) without context.

And here's their explanation on HIV:
• H.I.V. kills CD4 cells, or T-helper cells   
• Once the immune system is compromised, a person develops AIDS (acquired immuno-deficiency syndrome)   
• H.I.V. is most commonly transmitted by sexual contact with an infected person
Insect bites and sweat carry almost no risk of transmission   
• Studies show that drying H.I.V. infected fluids can reduce viral presence by 90-99%

Almost? Quite educational!
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 07:14:52 pm »
ick Ok hate em
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:25:55 pm »
Having spent over 15 yrs with tcell counts closer to 200 than 300,
I always wanted "Low T-cell Bear" from the Robot Chicken skit "Intensive Care Bears"  ;D
http://robotchicken.wikia.com/wiki/Intensive_Care_Bears

I'll cast a dislike vote too on those other plushies. The hiv one doesn't even look like right. They should have just used a bumble ball.  ROFL ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 09:05:08 pm »
Free market or not, whoever thought a deadly disease could be made cuddly is just plain stupid.  I hate them with a passion.

Offline physicsguy

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:30:18 pm »
I like it and will probably get one at some point to go with the other microbes.

I find it amazing that people actually get upset about them.  Some people need to grow thicker skins and a sense of humor.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:37:19 pm by physicsguy »

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 09:53:19 pm »
I may be inclined to get the white blood cell plushies if I really had to for positive affirmation to build up my immune system but not going anywhere near the HIV plushies. Not that I fear it but it's having a Hitler doll staring at you 24/7 reminding you why we are where we are today.
I rather spend that good money* on something useful, like a cuppa mocha or a good movie or even some uplifting incense. At least these are some of the things I dun mind letting in for once.  ;)

The HIV plushies may even oddly appeal to those who wanna use it as a voodo doll to stick needles in it, but that is negative energy building. We have enough of that already in the world. Enough. >:(

*BTW, what causes do they support or are they just retailed as toys? ???
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 12:48:51 am »
These have been around for a few years and I believe they were made for research, medical, and outreach professionals. You know something cute to put on their desks yet still reflect what their work is about. If it gets people talking about a particular disease then I am all for it. I don't find them offensive at all. Hell they even have a herpes one.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 07:46:00 am »

Don't really care for them..   I guess the fact that a lot of people have died from this disease was a good reason to make some toys.  What's next HIV cartoons?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 10:03:55 am »
I find it amazing that people actually get upset about them.  Some people need to grow thicker skins and a sense of humor.

The fact that I find nothing funny about HIV infection, or the millions of people it has killed, has nothing to do with either the thickness of my skin or my sense of humor.  What I find amazing is your insensitivity to the feelings of others.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 12:57:24 pm »
I don't like the idea of a destructive virus like HIV being stripped of its terribleness by making it soft and cuddly.  It's also disappointing to see that 0% of the HIV plushies' sales go to those affected by the disease...

Offline weasel

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 07:24:35 am »
I ASSUME   that these will  NOT  be in the stores !

This is a discusting way to make money !

I find them offensive  beyond  belief !

I would find a model  of HIV ( as in a mobile )  or a take apart toy  acceptable !

As a teaching aid !   

This IS plain CRAP ..............................

OH YES   I HATE   THESE THINGS !   They should be banned !

I'm living with HIV for more then 25 years !    NO CUDDLEY  thing  in  here  >:(

Just a BUG  that makes me feel  sick more than i care to !

Wishing everyone wellness and happiness !

Carl

" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.