Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:09:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 217
Total: 217

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: doctor not very encouringing on pregnancy...:(  (Read 8609 times)

Offline mara_99

doctor not very encouringing on pregnancy...:(
« on: June 21, 2011, 03:15:56 pm »
Hi girls,
I just came from my doctor today and told her about my pregnancy plans; she was a little disappointing, she told me there are no guarantees the baby will be HIV negative all though I will be undetectable at birth. When I told her that - in those cases - the woman may have not been undetectable during conception - she said she didn't have details on that...Also, she told me that ARV is the type of medicine that may lead to malformations or defects, and there have been a few cases...:((( On the other hand, she admited that she doesn't have many patients that gave birth and the ones who did are doing fine...
I know that theoretically there are no guarantees, but I also know that all cases I read about that were undetectable at birth (and better even also at conception) had HIV negative children... And about the malformations, I know that has not been proved....I don't know what to think anymore...:(((( Please tell me more about what you think on this, and especially if you know exact cases...

Offline triniclover

Re: doctor not very encouringing on pregnancy...:(
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:15:16 pm »
Honestly...some of these doctors need to go back to school.
I was @ least three months pregnant when I found out I was positive,my first thought was get an abortion as I was very ignorant back then about this disease.My doctor held my hands,looked me in the eyes and said you're both going to be fine,he informed me the drugs were safe and in the past ten years not one of his patients gave birth to a positive baby and neither would I.He is not God he didn't know that for sure but those words gave me such peace that I went through the pregnancy and delivery with ease.
Fast forward to four years later,I have the most amazing daughter who happens to be the most effective ARV to date.
I strongly suggest you change your doctor because they are our first line of defense in the fight against this disease and they need to be knowledgeable .
Congratulations..and you're both going to be just fine.

Offline karry

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:12:29 pm »
Hi Mara,
I have two friends who are positive and have been on meds for very long. One had a baby 2 years ago ( I accompanied her for delivery) and the other had hers 1 year ago. BOTH BABIES ARE NEGATIVE, AND HAVE NO BIRTH DEFECTS BECAUSE THEIR MOTHERS WERE ON ARV......I am sorry I had to point the last sentence out to you in block letters...but its a fact: ARVs are life saving and are peobably the number one reason these babies are negative and healthy today.

...so maybe you should change doctors....Mine has been advising me to get pregnant if I want..and he tells me I will have a normal baby, and I believe him, because statistics basically say the same thing he has been telling me...and so do the countless mothers on this forum!

Karry
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:50:37 pm »
Hi Mara,

My colleague works with young poz moms who are delivering neg darlin' healthy babies every year!

When I'm in her office, the kids who've grown up stop in to visit. It's tremendous and tear-jerking.

Find the professionals you need to support your goal to be a mom.

Em

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:53:48 pm »
Yeah, I would find another doc too.  Some docs are just overly pessimistic in general--not just on hiv, but everyhting.  They can make your entire pregnancy miserable. 
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline whoknew

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:26:43 am »
change drs and make a complaint asap !!

I am on baby number 3 with very supportive doctors and whilst I have come across my fair share of ignorance in other medical proffesions during this process my own consultant has been wonderful.

I fell pregnant whilst on sustive and continued throughout the pregnancy , not only is this an ARV but it is the one that people are warned not to take when pregnant ( fell pregnant accidently ) I now have a healthy happy little boy plus two negative gorgeous girls and my family is complete.

when I was diagnosed I thought thats it no babies for me but honestly thats not the case.

Offline MzLady

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 07:29:41 pm »
Hello,
I found out I was HIV positive during my routine pregnancy bloodwork, HIV is a mystery. I was in a long term relationship with a man since I was 14 (2000). He knew he was HIV positive since 2001 but did not tell me. My first child by him was in 2004 my baby is now 7 and is negative. We broke up but I continued to see him from time to time. The last encounter was in 2007. I found out I was pregnant in 2008, once again a healthy baby. My last pregnancy was shortly after I had my second child, during my pregnancy bloodwork I found out I was HIV positive. Keep in mind my last encounter with this man was in 2007. So why was the virus just now showing positive. I was in the military so we had to get a test done every year. I was dumbfound and the doctors did not believe me because my viral load was so low. Anyway I was told to get an abortion by my doctor, I decided against this and was started on Truvada an Kelatra throughout my pregnancy. In 2009 I gave birth to a healthy baby boy. I had my tubes tied which I regret everyday because I would like one more child. But can not find a doctor who is willing to untie my tubes. To make a long story short, having a baby and being HIV positive can be done. Just take the meds religiously and have faith that the baby will be okay. Best of luck.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 09:56:11 pm »
I think it was around the time I was diagnosed I was went to my gyno because I was having problems with precancerous cells on my uterus. My doc wanted me to get a hysterectomy. I was maybe 23?
 Unfortunately, just because they are "Dr.(s)" it doesn't mean they know what they are talking about, they might have a clue and baseless facts to throw at you, but it really thier own fears that makes them say that stupid shit.   That is what I like to think anyway  ;D

I went on to have 2 pregnancies with 4 healthy children. 

I think as poz women we are always going to get that negativity from people who don't get that we were all women before we were poz. If anything, having children makes us stronger, we have something to live and fight for. 

Go for it, you deserve unconditional love just like everyone else.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 07:58:34 am »
the father of my baby is pos and i am pos, we conceived naturally I was very lucky to have an encouraging Dr even when i was not keen about getting pregnant.  with a very supportive health team, right medication you can have a health negative baby even if both of you are pos.  I am an example on that. 
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

Offline TabooPrincess

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 03:19:53 pm »
Same story for me - my partner was poz too and I wasn't on medication when I found out I was pregnant.  I followed UK guidelines and didn't start meds until 20 WEEKS.  I wasn't quite undetectable at birth (see sig below) but continued to follow guidelines and my baby boy is negative now and no birth defects.  In fact, he's huge and healthy!!  Good luck, just go for it!!!
09/ 2008 - Seroconversion
11/2008 - Tested pos, cd4 640 vl 25400
12/2008 - cd4 794 vl 27798, 35%
03/2009 - cd4 844 vl 68846, 35%
06/2009 - cd4 476 vl 49151, 33% (pregnancy confirmed)
08/2009 - cd4 464 vl 54662, 32%
Started meds for pregnancy (Kaletra, AZT, Viread)
09/2009 - cd4 841 vl 3213, 42%
10/2009 - cd4 860 vl 1088, 41%
11/2009 - cd4 771 vl 563, 38%
12/2009 - cd4 885 vl 151 42%
Discontinued meds after baby born
02/2010 - cd4 841 vl 63781, 38%
05/2010 - cd4 1080 vl 113000, 39%
08/2010 - cd4 770 vl 109242
12/2010 - cd4 642 vl 111000, 34%
06/2011 - cd4 450 vl 222000, 33%
11/2011 - cd4 419 vl 212000, 24%
03/2012 - cd4 280 vl 118000, 26% (repeated Cd4 at 360)
05/2012 -cd4 360 vl 99,190
10/2012 Atripla, cd4 690, vl 80
12/2012 Darunavir, norvir, truvada, Cd4 680, vl u/d
07/2013 cd4 750,ud

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 07:42:08 pm »
I have an HIV negative daughter. I am + 15 years and she is 14. My CD4 count was 1,045 and I was undetectable.
My doctors could not guarantee a thing but I went to Harbor UCLA in Torrance, California.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.