Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:32:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 281
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 278
Total: 278

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Why do so many people with HIV choose to make it a lifestyle?  (Read 29073 times)

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Re: Why do so many people with HIV choose to make it a lifestyle?
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2007, 12:04:51 pm »
viral apartheid is alive and wellout there, and I hope that you are prepared for its sting.

David,

Excellent point, and eloquently phrased.  The more I read Jamie's posts, the more I realize he just doesn't yet understand or hasn't yet experienced all the consequences of being HIV+.  

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline mjmel

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2007, 12:05:15 pm »
Eventually the HIV virus forces us to do so. Some people are forced to stay at home for one reason or another (you haven't encountered those reasons yet) because of illnesses or limited income forces them to lead lives that they'd not choose, if they had a choice.
See: Have you ended up in the hospital due to your HIV/AIDS condition? in Living With HIV. That should give you a clue.

Mike

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 12:08:37 pm by mjmel »

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2007, 12:05:52 pm »
I'm chalking this thread up to you being YOUNG & treatment naive.

Amen!

You were supposed to be Rose.   >:(

I guess this makes Timtation "Dorothy?"
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2007, 12:08:36 pm »
The ONLY way this thread and topic are going to stay open for discussion is if people STOP the personal attacks. It is quite possible to talk about a subject without attacking, and if you don't know how to do that, don't bother posting.

For those of you who haven't noticed, JamieD has been given a seven day time out. He isn't here to answer you or defend himself, so just leave personal references to him out of your post.

I don't want to see any further nastiness in this thread. Is scoring a few points against someone who can't answer worth a time out? You decide.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2007, 12:10:51 pm »
I am honored to have made the cut & to be in such esteemed company.

Indeed, I am humbled to be in such good company.  I must buy a drink for both you and David_NC next month in SF!

Now, I am going to let this thread go...

Cheers,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2007, 05:27:38 pm »
I'm doubt very much that many people with HIV "choose to make it a lifestyle" per se, although I do believe there are those who choose/prefer to wallow in their ailments/misfortune. Saying that, I can see how this thread title would piss off members here who have not done and are not doing either.

I know Ann said to leave personal references to Jamie out of our posts while he's on his time out, but I'm not actually sure how that can work exactly, when Jamie is the one who started the thread and his questions/comments are what I want to respond to. I realise he won't be responding for a week but I'm quite certain he will be still lurking, and I can wait. So...

For you nitpickers, I am not talking about people who are in serious pain, or dealing with persistent opportunistic infections.

I'm curious. What people are you talking about then?

I don't know. For me it must be different. I just want to take my medication, get my CD4 and Viral Load test done every few months and thats it. I am perfectly capable of resuming the life I had before hand. I don't want to be a professional patient. AIDS is a disease, not a lifestyle.

For someone who is "perfectly capable of resuming the life [he] had before hand" and who doesn't "want to be a professional patient", 197 posts across several HIV/AIDS forums is certainly a lot to chalk up over the period of just over a month. Not criticizing, merely observing.

Presuming I'm not one of the ones (yet) to have made it to Jamie's black list (which I actually find in very poor taste for someone to post in their signature), I'm hoping that he will take the next 7 days to peruse and digest some of the comments/reactions here, as well as reflecting on just how insulting the use of the phrase 'professional patient' is on a website aimed at people living with HIV/AIDS.

After re-reading what I have written here I realise that I haven't really answered the thread title question. But I think that may be because I don't think the original poster was actually really asking a question or looking for an answer to it. I think this was more about putting his thoughts/feelings out there in reaction to stuff going on in other threads, with very little regard to whose toes he may be stomping on.

Melia
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2007, 05:41:26 pm »
I never get any lasting recognition, dammit!  They yanked his "Ignored List" from his profile.

But I was #2 on it!

Oh, dear....I sound like ACinKC all of the sudden.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Lis

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2007, 05:51:56 pm »
check back in 21 years sunshine... Your young, and you need to live your live.. Go for it!!!

sadly my life was cut short at age 20...  I'm 41 now... you live your life.. I will live mine..

good health to you

lisbeth
poz 1986....

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2007, 05:59:48 pm »
What lifestyle?

I've never understood that term, not for living a “Gay lifestyle” and certainly not for this.

The whole idea is absolutely absurd to me.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline mjmel

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2007, 06:00:23 pm »
Oh, dear....I sound like ACinKC all of the sudden.

kinda cute like him too.
 ;D

Mike

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2007, 06:34:35 pm »
To answer the question: I am young as well. But my diagnosis, has really kicked me. I did not choose "this" as a lifestyle. 13 months since diagnosed. Started meds 30 days later.  I had a brilliant career, got an offer for one of the Fortune 500 companies in USA, and then in China. The perfect move. Just to find out that I couldn't accept it. Why? Because I HAVE HIV.

And not only that: I had side effects with my meds. After 5 months of them. pain. pure pain. My arms, my legs. Walking was a tough thing to do, waking up felt like someone was hammering my legs. Had to go to the doctor n the ER, at 11:00 pm . Scared, I had to call a friend to come and help me, and not leave me alone. I had no clue waht was going on with my body.  Using a phone? No way: The muscle pain was out of control, I would feel exhausted. Tried every single pain killer (inluding opium derivates). Interrupted treatment, and the fear of the virus replicating. We never really figured out what casues it (It still hurts). No test (I tried more than 10 different tests) reveales anything abnormal. And it was not my mind. It is real.

And no talking about triglycerids, cholesterol, nuasea, stomach pain, a little extra diarrea, changin your diet , and I will not talk about sex life, or intimacy, or meeting people, or anything.

I offerapologies to the others. Not all of us young and newbies want to fall in denial. Some of us need your advise.

Alex (Who sees the meds PR as a lie, and feels angry when sees that someone ignores those who have tolerated pain and death to get us to where we are.). 

Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2007, 01:46:59 am »
Choose to make it a lifestyle?

No. I'm coping with HIV being part of my life, but it's definitely NOT a lifestyle. Not much has changed, really. I see a doctor every three months, I take supplements I've never taken before, and I have rejection from being hiv+ like I did from being old or ugly or whatever. HIV so far has been another road block to finding a partner. But basically my life has not changed. I don't post anonymous bareback fucking ads anymore, though.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2007, 09:14:52 am »
I think this thread is dead-hey that rhymed! (I can be clever in the morning I guess).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline rick21007

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2007, 03:46:10 pm »
Hey Gang----just finished reading through everyone's posts in response to Jamie.  He seemed to have gotten a lot of folks by the short hairs.  I admittedly can be pretty dense, but I was not offended by a 21 year old newly diagnosed guy who is apparently still grappling with how to handle the diagnosis.  I know that he addressed his comments to "you guys out there" but I took it to mean he was really talking about himself.  True, this was not the most maturely written post I've ever read but I can tell you that at least for myself @ 21 I was way  immature having been pretty much sidetracked from the normal progression of adolescent emotional development by my inept and misguided struggles with my own sexuality.

Jamie, me lad---I was diagnosed 9 months ago.  The first few months I was pretty obsessed about the diagnosis.  (And I did battle with a nasty OCI for about 6 weeks.)  What I have been working on since is not an "hiv lifestyle." whatever _that_ is, but a healthy lifestyle  to give myself the best shot at continuing a full, productive life worth living.  I kind of look at my numbers every three months as the pay-off for doing the daily work to stay healthy.  (Just had a new draw done yesterday and waiting for the results next week--this is just the 3rd draw since i was diagnosed in December) Touch wood, am not on meds _yet_.

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2007, 04:43:39 pm »
sorry to pee on everyone's parade who has made hiv part of their 'lifestyle' but it appears that we are already on the verge of being soooo last season:
from The Guardian newspaper today (see http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,,2154765,00.html for full article)
"A new killer disease on a par with HIV/Aids or ebola is likely to emerge in the next few years and threaten the lives of millions of people worldwide, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said today.
Potentially deadly new diseases are being identified at an "unprecedented rate", with global epidemics spreading more rapidly than ever, the United Nations agency warned in its annual world health report."

seriously tho i feel that i have made hiv part of my life in that i try to understand as much as i can about it, and enjoy reading and participating in support groups and these forums as a way to do that.  i dont feel that by doing this i am making it a 'lifestyle' any more than someone with cancer could be accused of making that a 'lifestyle' by acknowledging that cancer is a part of their life and a formidable foe.

obviously we are a diverse group and have diverse viewpoints and coping mechanisms, but i think that what we are trying to say to you jamie is that there is a difference between understanding the reality of your situation and making hiv a 'lifestyle'.  i for one am offended by the inference (and i apologise if i have misunderstood your point) that to be a member of forums such as these, to make the most of interaction with other positive people, and to not live in denial is a 'lifestyle'. again i refer back to the cancer parallel drawn above.

there is so much more to my life than hiv, but it is a permanent and undeniable part of my life. even if i am not laid up at death's door from aids, it is still one of the biggest influencers on my life, my life expectancy (and i dont just mean years lived), my relationships, my mental health, my future plans - when it affects my energy levels, when it affects what country i can visit/live in, when it means i am rejected by a potential partner, when i meet some amazing people because of these forums, when i am inspired by the stories and struggles of others. hopefully you get the picture. hiv is part of my identity now. part, not all.  i gain a huge amount from knowing i am not alone in this, just like i gain a huge amount in other ways from my friends who i have different things in common with.

hiv, like many others have already stated, is a disease not a lifestyle - to ignore it would be to underestimate the damage that it can wreak, and will wreak (unless something else gets me first). the best way to live a full and happy life i believe, with or without hiv or any other disease or affliction, is by the best understanding and appreciation of all life's challenges and opportunities.

apologies for ending up going on for ages (betty obviously im into resurrection today lol)

jamie i hope when you return from your time out you will have calmed down and benefit as much as i have from these forums

love to all
xxx

ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2007, 06:05:18 pm »
I have a question.

What constitutes making something a lifestyle?
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline buca45

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2007, 06:07:06 pm »
LOL I have a similar question, what constitutes an agenda?
"Love and Laughter and Happiness Ever After"

Offline koksi

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2007, 06:08:13 pm »
Being gay simply wasn't cutting edge enough for me, so I had to up my game.

This made me laugh out loud.  Thanks.  ;D
seroconversion in March of 2006
positive test May 2006

10/2013: Undetectable, CD4 1000
2009:  Began Atripla

10/2007:  VL 2,300 // no CD4 numbers! :-(
09/2007:  Begin Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
08/2007:  VL 824,000 // CD4 344 // 21%
06/2007:  VL 326,000 // CD4 351 // 17%
04/2007:  VL 410,000 // CD4 242 // 26%
06/2006:  VL 444,893 // CD4 479 // 21%
05/2006:  VL >500K    // CD4 402 // 17%

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2007, 06:17:55 pm »
haven't you heard e.g.:   AIDS is OVER.

AIDS was so 90's.

;D
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2007, 06:19:37 pm »
From EnglishGirl's post

"
"Drug resistance is also evident in diarrhoeal diseases, hospital-acquired infections, malaria, meningitis, respiratory tract infections, and sexually transmitted infections, and is emerging in HIV," the report said.
"

Hello? Good-Morning America! It has been one of the issues in HIV forever....... Anyhow, this would be one of the first times in my life, I would feel ok for being "last season"  (There is always Cavalli to make you feel better LOL )

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2007, 06:28:24 pm »
I found this thread to be pretty damn offensive myself.  What an arrogant thing to say from someone barely into diagnosis- who didn't even know what ADAP was until an hour ago.  

No wonder so many of the LTS members are over it.

qft

I also made note of the "lifestyle" label in the same way that that the Moral Majority likes to use that word about gay people.

Then again, I've clicked on a lot of offensive threads in the past 4 hours since my little vacation.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2007, 07:42:50 pm »
excuse my language, but...

What the FUCK  is an HIV lifestyle?

POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2007, 07:52:07 pm »
excuse my language, but...

What the FUCK  is an HIV lifestyle?

I think it involves going to the toilet a lot.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2007, 07:53:21 pm »
I inject my lifestyle twice daily, and frankly it sucks royally.

btw:  do we get free t-shirts?

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2007, 07:57:54 pm »

I thought it meant one coordinated their day attire with their am meds and their evening wear with their pm meds.

Oh wait, that's HIV style, not lifestyle. My bad.

bry
who has far to many articles of clothing in sustiva yellow and truvada blue
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:59:39 pm by bryonut »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2007, 08:03:44 pm »
Someone needs to make a podcast for this thread.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2007, 08:21:23 pm »
Why do so many people with HIV choose to make it a lifestyle?

Lifestyle=A particular attitude or habit.

Like a lot of us here I have good days and bad days, but I decided early in my diagnosis to go with a positive attitude towards HIV, and hopefully deal with whatever it throws at me the best way I can..I have also tried to change some bad habits and replace them with good ones..doesn't always work but I try.

So to answer your question....did I "choose a lifestyle" that suited me...damn straight I did.

Jan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Lis

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2007, 08:30:48 pm »
Jan... you said what I was thinking.    after 21 years of this crap... It would be like leaving how without my shoes.. I respect your youth.. but please dont make my life into drama.. Its not..

I love my life, husband , kids and yes this thing that made me slow down and love... its AIDS......
poz 1986....

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2007, 12:45:15 am »

...and not in a good way.  Or am I alone on this one?

Sorry, y'all, but this thread is completely frivolous.  Jamie, in 15 years, if you are still alive, please get back to us on your opinion of the AIDS lifestyle.  You may find that it has changed.

JR
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline buca45

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2007, 12:53:46 am »
Not at all a lifestyle choice for me, just a minor inconvenience on my way to even greater fabulosity.....
and a nice way to promote that 'AIDS agenda' for the moral majority. I for one was totally done promoting that tired, so ten years ago infatuation with our gay agenda.
"Love and Laughter and Happiness Ever After"

Offline +Man

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2007, 01:08:02 am »
I just tested positive in June and the rejection of the information was almost an out of body experience.  It was like a physical "NO!"  I remember when I first began to accept being gay and thought about the "lifestyle."  It turned out, I just had other friends that were gay for support.  I wanted to know more about it so that I could take control and feel secure.  I can't find the "lifestyle" in that, and I can't find it in people supporting each other and taking control of this disease either.  In both cases, it actually helped me a lot.
Tested Neg 4/7/07
Tested Poz 6/20/07
CD4 6/20/2007 = 449 at 30%
VL >100,000
CD4 7/17/2007 =721 at 35%
VL =1430
CD4 8/14/2007 = 671 at 34%
VL =875
CD4 9/17/2007 =1010 at 38%
VL =368
CD4 11/07/2007 = 815 at 37%
VL =<50

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2007, 06:18:00 am »
I can kind of understand what Jamie meant to say but I think sometimes in post it doesn't always come out the way it would if we were talking.

I sometimes find myself constantly whining when I have so much to be thankful for. I have been to support groups in the past and some of the people were healthy but they would never see any good that happened to them. They would come back week after week complaining when people next to them that were having a lot more problems hardly complained at all. Of course I am not talking about everyone. The disease effects everyone differently. For me I think Jamies comments were a reminder that "I" don't have to always focus on negative things that happen. It is difficult but I keep trying to remind myself what good has happened each day. Hiv does effect my life in every way. So does being black and gay. If I were to constantly focus on all the negative things that happen to me because of one or all of these things I would never get out of bed. So I kind of see his point. It just didn't come out the way he probably meant it  8)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 06:24:38 am by DCGUY2007 »

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2007, 06:47:53 pm »
I prefer to think of it as my deathSTYLE™

Lifestyles is so Robin Leech cheesy.

Lot's of grumpy people in this thread.  I didn't find anything directly offensive in the question.  I understood the point. 

There is a gay lifestyle.  Stereotypical 'gay' behavior.

I also think there is a hiv 'lifestyle' so to speak.  It's not the right word, but I lack a better one. 

Someone gay coming out often jumps into the 'gay' lifestyle.   Not just being gay, but doing the 'gay' thing.  The clubs, the clothes, the mens, the swish™ when required.  People do adopt a gay lifestyle rather than just being gay.  I cringe to use the phrase normal gay versus lifestyle gay, but there is a difference to me. 

I also see where there is an HIV lifestyle and I think he intended it as meaning that after diagnosis, people jump into the hiv world and it becomes a much bigger part of their lives.  Now while it is indeed a huge part of many people's.    The wording on this is hard but a few examples might include myself, jumping into the hiv world, blogging, being a forum addict rather than living a real life (again i cringe at that phrase) outside the forums.   (before I get jumped, yes, I realize some of people do use these forums as a primary social outlet as a necessity and not a choice)

My health is not hugely impacted like many on these forums by hiv...yet.   Would I categorize myself as living the 'hiv lifestyle'.  Yeah.

Have I spent too many hours here really just doing nothing?  yeah.   

Do I have HIV or am I HIVchic?   How much is hiv part of me or am I part of HIV now?

More questions than answers but I do think there is an hiv lifestyle (unrelated to physical health).

Course, that's just me.  Just smile and nod

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2007, 06:58:30 pm »
That post seems so at odds with your objections in another thread about the use of the word "flamer" but now we're labeling people "swishers" here?  I'm a bit confused. 

(never mind that the rest of your nonsensical rambling is all degrees of totally fucked up beyond belief)

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2007, 07:50:38 pm »
  I'm a bit confused. 

(never mind that the rest of your nonsensical rambling is all degrees of totally fucked up beyond belief)

I very much doubt you are confused.  You know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it.  Please stay on topic at least here in this thread. 

kthanxbye

Offline bear60

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2007, 07:56:01 pm »
QUOTE YOU : There is a gay lifestyle.  Stereotypical 'gay' behavior. Dingoboi
OK...this means what.....we have an HIV lifestyle and a Gay lifestyle and they are somehow connected or equal?
Excuse me hun...I take my gay lifestle a lot more serious than my HIV lifestyle.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2007, 08:02:02 pm »
what a non-reply

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2007, 08:09:37 pm »
There never was a point to this thread in the first place. It was another attempt by JanieD that day to try and flame the forums and what ultimately led to his first time out. There was no point, and to try and manufacture one is ridiculous.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2007, 08:12:35 pm »
I thought it meant one coordinated their day attire with their am meds and their evening wear with their pm meds.

Oh wait, that's HIV style, not lifestyle. My bad.

bry
who has far to many articles of clothing in sustiva yellow and truvada blue

Thank goodness for the new formulation of Kaletra.  The old Kaletra orange just didn't go with ANYTHING.

Still don't know what I'm going to do about my Combivir white collection after Labor Day.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2007, 08:13:56 pm »
That post seems so at odds with your objections in another thread about the use of the word "flamer" but now we're labeling people "swishers" here?  I'm a bit confused. 

qft

There never was a point to this thread in the first place. It was another attempt by JanieD that day to try and flame the forums and what ultimately led to his first time out. There was no point, and to try and manufacture one is ridiculous.

also qft
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:15:36 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2007, 08:14:28 pm »

Yet I was labeled the troll.  Oh the rich, rich irony...

Offline Miss Philicia

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2007, 08:29:24 pm »
Is there a true gay lifestyle or is it something of ones on taste and personal actions? Here in rednickville you wouldn't be able to tell the gays from the straights by their actions, living conditions or wardrobe. As for HIVlife style? I don't believe there is a such thing.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2007, 08:33:24 pm »
The term "gay lifestyle" is inherently self-loathing as it's the same language used by the Moral Majority to prevent homosexuality as being seen as something you are born with.

I'd be very careful, as a gay person, playing into such language.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2007, 09:22:14 pm »

I'd be very careful, as a gay person, playing into such language.

Absofuckinglutely.

The terminology of this whole debate is framed by the people who hate queers.

We should ask for a smidge more from ourselves, I think.

Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.