Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 208
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Update: Treatment for Osteoporosis sucessfull  (Read 7456 times)

Offline smalltown66

Update: Treatment for Osteoporosis sucessfull
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:29:41 pm »
In previous post I have talked about dealing with severe osteoporosis over the last two years.
I started on Forteo injections 1 year ago. Just recently had a repeat bone density scan and my T score went from -3.0 to a -1.0.

-3.0 was condsidered osteoporosis and -1.0 is considered osteopenia. Quite an improvement in a year. I hope this treatment continues to work and some other weird side affect doesnt show up.

Just thought I would share.

Smalltown 66
Lifting the weight of the world sure is easier with others with the same goal.

Offline veritas

Re: Update: Treatment for Osteoporosis sucessfull
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 05:04:33 am »

smalltown66,

Great news  and wonderful results. Is there any indication as to how long you will have to be on therapy ? I was just diagnosed with osteopenia in one hip and I'm taking vit d and calcium for it. Haven't had a second scan yet.

v

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:45:23 am »
I've never heard of Forteo, that's interesting.  How many injections did you have to have, and how often? 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline veritas

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:46:21 am »

BT65,

Here's some information on Forteo:

http://www.drugs.com/forteo.html

v

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:36:32 pm »
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 10:17:01 am »
Hey Smalltown,

That is great news! It is something to remember because I think more of us will be facing this situation.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline smalltown66

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 07:12:29 pm »
Thanks everyone for the nice encouragement!

Smalltown

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 01:45:31 am »
Sorry to come into this late -- that is really great news & thanks for sharing the info with everyone
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline freddy65

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 11:15:57 am »
In previous post I have talked about dealing with severe osteoporosis over the last two years.
I started on Forteo injections 1 year ago. Just recently had a repeat bone density scan and my T score went from -3.0 to a -1.0.

-3.0 was condsidered osteoporosis and -1.0 is considered osteopenia. Quite an improvement in a year. I hope this treatment continues to work and some other weird side affect doesnt show up.

Just thought I would share.

Smalltown 66

Hi Smalltown 66, congratulation for the great results. I'm writing from Italy, so please forgive my bad  english.  :)
I'm dealing with osteoporosis  and my last score was -3.0, i'm now taking alendronate but i found your result very interesting.
Just two questions:did you have  any specific side effects and how many injections do you have to do?
Thanks in advance.
Freddy
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:56:35 am by freddy65 »

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 02:40:49 pm »
Welcome to the forum Freddy, please take some time to introduce yourself? How long have you been poz?

Offline freddy65

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 08:06:35 pm »
Welcome to the forum Freddy, please take some time to introduce yourself? How long have you been poz?

I think you are right Sharkdiver. This is actually my second post here but the first one has been very long time ago, was about the Ensoli vaccine.....an Italian story!  :)

Hello to everybody. I'm 44, italian and have been tested poz in 1985 so up to now i have been positive for 24 years. Quiet long time and enough to get tired about that!

Fortunately I have passed through this long period without any particular problems, my lab test are ok and no lipo. I'm taking therapy since 1998 and about two years ago I discovered my osteoporosis troubles.

Times ago I was reading Poz forum quiet often found it very interesting, especially the long term section. I belive that no matter where we are from, our story are always quiet similar and being here  now, sharing our life, is already a succes.
That's all for the moment, not much but takes time for me write in english.  :)

Ciao

Freddy

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:10:58 pm by freddy65 »

Offline beau1200

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 10:08:00 pm »
I have also been a long term survivor with recent issues of osteoporosis.  Last summer I had to have my left hip replaced, then this summer, my right hip had to be replaced.  We haven't been able to find medication that will help me with bone density that doesn't compromise my system.  On a bright note,  if you are faced with a hip replacement, do it as soon as you can.  I had no idea how much pain I was really in!  No we are working with the nerve issues that were created when I used my right side to compensate for my left hip weakness, then my left side.  Now I have lower spine issues, and continue with physical therapy. 

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 01:12:17 pm »
Hi Smalltown,

I'm glad for your improvement with the new treatment. Hope it continues to work for you.

I have been having hip pain, they are associating with my scoliosis/degenerative discs. I'll have to to do some study on this one, thanks for the info.

I'd like to welcome freddy and beau.

"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline smalltown66

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 03:52:45 pm »
Yes a big welcome to Freddie and to Beau!
Thanks everyone for the nice support.

Freddie you asked about the injection. I take my forteo injection just once a day. The suggested time is 24 months. I saw good results at 12 months. I am continuing for another 12 months. I have had no noticeable side affects so far.  I hope this information will help ohters that are having osteoporosis issues.

smalltown66
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:55:21 pm by smalltown66 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 07:58:17 pm »
Smalltown, I take it the injection goes into a muscle, and you inject yourself?  Curious.  Do you ever develop hard lumps in the muscle you're injecting into?

And welcome to Freddy and Beau.

Offline freddy65

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 12:05:56 pm »
Hi, thank you for answers Smalltown and also for the welcome that you guys gave me. I appreciated!  :)

Freddy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.