Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:27:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 164
Total: 165

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just started treatment and I need help  (Read 7876 times)

Offline AHS18

Just started treatment and I need help
« on: July 09, 2012, 01:15:38 pm »
I was tested poz on June 7th and started treatment on July 4th.
I am on Truvada, Kaletra, Isentress and Celsentri suggested by my doctor (I am on a trial as well). My CD4 was 38.4 and CD8 was 35.5. Viral load was 4759 c/ml (tested on June 13).
After taking these meds, I feel sleepy and tired and my mood was changing a lot. I seemed to have symptoms of depression. How can I make it through these issues? Please give me advice. Thank you.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Just started treatment and I need help
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:56:43 pm »
Welcome to the forum, in any event!

You were tested poz just a month ago! And quickly on meds! All this is quite a shock!  Its natural now that things are sinking in that you your spirit might be running a bit low.

There is also something called IRIS.  Immune Reconstitution inflammatory syndrome. This can be a phase during which a destroyed immune system is rebuilding and causes temporary problems, one of which is fatigue.  But I think if one gets IRIS (not everyone does!) it kicks more after a month or two on HAART, not right away, as in your case.

You might just need a lot of rest, at the moment.

How is the body doing otherwise?  Digestion?  Rashes, etc. ? 

Listen we don't have that much information but if you share more you might get some accurate and useful feedback. 

How old are you? 

Any indication from the docs, or do you know, if this was a long running infection that was just identified?  Any other HIV tests and negative, and dated back when?

What exactly is the "symptom of depression" - can you describe it?

You said in the other post you are completely isolated and don't want to disclose to anyone.  OK.  Taking that as a given for the moment, I would encourage you to get connected to this forum as often as possible and communicate quite a bit.  It really is psychologically and emotionally HEAVY stuff you have to suddenly deal with and its important you communicate here.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:00:28 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:22:08 pm »
Hello, welcome, sorry to hear about your diagnosis

Truvada, Kaletra, Isentress and Celsentri is too many medicines. You don;t need all off these. Truvada plus one of the others is usually enough. At most, 2 others will be enough.

I see your first post says you have some resistance. Even with this three meds, perhaps different ones to your list, should be enough these days.

Lots of meds can make you feel tired and depressed.

So can getting a new HIV diagnosis.

In your list, Kaletra is the med most connected with feeling tired and Isentress is the med most connected with mood changes.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:25:15 pm »
PS - I am interested to know why you wanted or needed to be in the study - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline AHS18

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:25:37 am »
Thank you for the support. I am a 47-year-old Asian guy. I was tested negative in November 2011 and positive in June 2012. I got tested in June was because the syphilis had come back to me. I completed the treatment for syiphilis by end of June. Two shots at a time for 3 times. I joined the trial was because I had bought what my doctor had told me in the previous session. Also I was thinking since I have to go on meds then why not contribute something to this study (for me and for others as well). My diet and sleep was normal. I go to gym workout 3 times/week as usual. After taking meds, I have been feeling tired and mood have been up and down. I had diarrhea after taking my second dose. Now diarrhea seemed to be gone. It wil be a week on Wednesday since I started taking meds. I know there are services for people living with HIV and AIDS in Toronto. I just don't have courage to access them. I am not ready for that psychologically and mentally. So i only came here for support. Thank you guys.

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:15:32 pm »
Well then you've got a recent infection and already in treatment, you will level out soon enough!  This may sound odd, but consider yourself lucky, meaning a good position despite a bad blow of HIV infection.  You see what I mean?
You might be tired from the shock of it all.  Also, the shock of your new reality could certainly make you feel moody. 
Also, for many people, it takes some time to really adjust to being on HAART.

Can you explain some more about the "symptoms of depression".

Are you working full time, as well?  One thing you can do is be nice to yourself.  If going to the gym gives you energy, by all means continue. But if you are feeling run down, you can also give yourself a break. Do whats necessary and otherwise find some peaceful distractions.  Depending on the gym's atmosphere, it might not be the most nurturing place, at the moment. 

What about friends? And your other hobbies?  Not long after my surprise diagnosis, my doc told me to go on a holiday with my friends.  I didn't tell them anything about my shocking diagnosis (and not until about 4 months later).  The holiday helped me a lot. Distraction and business as usual. 

Also - sleep! 

You'll find that time cures a lot of these woes.....
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline AHS18

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 06:49:06 pm »
Thank you for sharing your experience. As for the depression part, I sometime felt like crying, anxious and fear about future, unable to engage in social activities as before and just did not feel like talking and oing thing. However I would force myself to do what I need to do, eat well, get enough rest and exercise. Yes, I still work full time in mental health Counselling field. I just found out it is not easy to consult myself...
Yes, I made a travel plan in Oct. I am still at the stage of adjusting myself mentally and psychologically to this new thing.

Offline AHS18

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:21:33 pm »
By the way, my first two cd4 data were:

Tested on June 13: absolute CD4 was 0.75, CD4 was 38.4 and Viral load was 4759

Tested on June 28: absolute CD4 was 0.68, CD4 was 34.9 and Viral load was 4544

Started my meds on July 4.

Any thought?

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:21:45 pm »
A very healthy thing you can do is NOT to avoid your friends. You don't need to disclose to them. Even if you are feeling all topsy turvy, "go through the motions" and make sure you are spending time with them.  Its very important that you see life goes on. Everyone faces challenges.

It was a bit of a gallows humor and sick thrill for me to listen to my friends problems, me thinking "oh god if you only knew" and how petty and bourgeois you all are. Then actually just listening to other peoples joys and sorrows helped me snap out of my funk.  You don't need to talk if you are not ready.  Listen to others. Its sort of a gift because you listen differently.

Luckily, my best friend and his bf and family were by my side all through seroconversion, at least I was able to disclose to them. It was only a few months in that I disclosed to all my friends.  In fact when I was put on route with HAART.  Within a year it was all back in perspective and in fact alarmingly sometimes a non issue with anyone.  Its extremely casual and mundane to them.  One of the reasons I still hang out here in fact.  So keep coming here. Eventually you WILL identify flesh and blood  people to disclose to.  If you are in counseling you surely have the insights as to who might be good support.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:24:07 pm by mecch »

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 07:27:16 pm »
Any thought?

Other people have A LOT more expertise to comment on that.
My thought is, you are a very recent infection. And you are already in good care and already in treatment.  So its ok to learn about the meaning of all numbers but on the other hand, it doesn't matter for your case.  Everything in your case is extremely temporary. HAART works perfectly well and you won't know the final outcome of your "reset" until several months in. But HIV will have been stopped dead in your body, that is for sure.  Trust.  Its already happening very rapidly right now.  HIV replication is blocked and your viral load is falling dramatically with each cycle.

Offline Bphun

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 01:02:22 pm »
Hi AHS

I tested poz in 2007 and did not tell anyone. I think your body will need some time to adjust. I think the drowsy bit is fairly common with some of the drugs which is why some you can take just before going to bed. Still, if these things bother you, ask the doctor who wrote them up for you.

As for the mood swings and depressions and wanting to be swallowed by the earth, I think it is perfectly normal. But, unless you are not so lucky, your meds will do a great job and taking your pills will keep you healthy with little or no side effects.

And eventually, it does get better, even dating, even sex. Take your time to adjust to your new situation, but don't let it push you over.

Offline AHS18

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 08:50:51 pm »
Thank you guys. I will make it through with the support here.

Offline mranderson

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 08:24:24 am »
I would ask the doc why so many pills if you do not like the answer take your labs papers and see another doc go to  support groups ask question read i found out in nov i am on 2pill truvada and isentress its the med  plus all the other stuff going on i have to nap so rest as  much as you can dont puch it i tryed my body didnot like being ruched talk to your close friends if you feel ok talking to them

Offline harleymc

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 09:28:40 pm »
Welcome AHS

Truvada, Kaletra, Isentress... that's my combination also. I'm 27 years positive with multiple drug resistance and have found this combination tolerable and powerful in it's antiviral effects.
I did find that for the first few weeks of this combination I went through a series of side effects, that were short term. These appear to be related to inflammation that occurs as the immune system starts to reconstitute and should pass quickly. One thing that helped me get through is keeping a diary. It is easy to focus on a whole list of negatives but what you will likely find from your diary is that there are many good days mixed in with the rough ones.

Hang on in there, your test results in the first few months of treatment should give you powerful motivation to continue. Let your doctor know about how you feel physically and emotionally. Your Dr can only help with the stuff he/she knows about and may well be able to point you to additional sources of strength and support. You don't have to do this trip on your own.

Big hugs to you

Offline AHS18

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:51:19 pm »
I am feeling better now. I saw my doctor last week and had my blood drawn for a test. I am on a trial so I take 4 and 5 pills in the AM and PM. When I went to see my doctor last week, I told him my concern about diarrhea. So he asked me to do a stool test. After I handing the stool samples, my diarrhea disappeared. I felt the side effects had disappeared two weeks after medication.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.