Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 15, 2024, 01:17:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37594
  • Latest: FloBeee
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772732
  • Total Topics: 66292
  • Online Today: 181
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 178
Total: 179

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: You may be a LTNP (Long Term Non Progressor) too !!  (Read 47486 times)

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
Re: You may be a LTNP (Long Term Non Progressor) too !!
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2006, 07:20:33 pm »
Even though I've been POZ for 18 1/2 years, not sure if I could participate.  t-cells have been no lower than 225, virul load though has been up to around 4,000.  No meds for at least 10 years, and even then for only about 6 months.  Virul load fluctuates once and awhile. The lowest it has been was in the low hundred's.   No OI's at all.

Well it doesn't hurt to find out.

Rev. Michael
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2006, 09:57:37 pm »
Hi Rev. Michael

It sounds like things have been relatively good for you these past 18 1/2 years. It sounds as though you may indeed qualify for this study on the 'viremic controllers' portion.

I would suggest that you contact Rachel Rosenberg ( click on the link for her contact details) and she will be able to tell you whether or not you qualify. It sounds as though they would need medical records to verify length of time and the numbers. Rachel is a great advocate for the study and has been very helpful to me.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

Best regards
Paul

Offline oaktree

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2006, 08:15:52 pm »
Hello All,

New here. Been POZ since 92. Think reallly 83, but tested in 92.Have been going to NIH for about three years. Good to find this site. Have reallly only talked to one person at NIH that is in the LTNP program.

Regards,

oaktree 

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2006, 10:00:57 pm »
Hi Oaktree

Welcome to the Forums !!

I've been in the NIH study for nearly 2 years. If you're interested you might want to check out the Harvard study. They are doing somewhat different research from the NIH. Both are great studies.

If you would like to chat, please feel free to PM me.

Cheers
Paul

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2006, 12:01:34 am »
I couldn't find Rachel's link.  Could someone PM me with the contact information.

Thanks

Rev. Michael

Rev. Michae

Offline oaktree

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2006, 10:54:06 am »
Paul,

Just saw an old post ( May 06). I am not hla 57 but hla b27. Also Hla B35. Odd I think there is more than the hla that is keeping us healthy. This is one of the things they are working on at NIH. Are you still going to NIH?

By the way. Not sure what or how to PM you.

Enjoy the day,

Oaktree

Offline yowsaa

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2006, 01:35:02 am »
Just an update for any who follow this thread.
Unfortunately my partner had decided against enrolling, though a perfect candidate (disclosure worries). I'm not impressed to say the least  ::)
No need to respond to this, a change of heart I will inform.

God Bless.

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2006, 10:43:29 pm »
Do not fear.

I have your interests at heart, and have spoken to Harvard personally.

We are working toward the synergy that you have expressed re: divulgence of status.

They (Partner's AIDS Research) guarantees your identity.

Please, your secret is safe with them.

Try again.

Don't worry. I am with you.

Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline zephyr

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2006, 11:07:58 pm »
IT'S A CHRISTMAS GIFT!!!!!!!!

I spoke to Harvard just last week, and they have located 350 OF US FROM AROUND THE WORLD,

we Viremic Contollers, we Elite Contollers, we of (perhaps) the CLUE.

Merry Christmas to you!!!

Love,

Zephyr

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2006, 11:12:22 am »
Thank you for the posting Zephyr. I will pray for all of you guys who are elite controllers and of course the scientist to find out how those who are not elite can one day become elite.

It is encouraging news. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2006, 05:34:11 pm »
I haven't heard anything back from anyone if I could be a candidate for any studies of LTNP.  18 1/2 years and not on meds.

Love and Light,

Rev. Michael

Rev. Michae

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2006, 06:23:21 pm »
Hi Rev Michael

I'll attach a link here to the study that this thread is talking about.  It tells you all about this particular study.  The person to contact is Rachel Rosenberg and her details are also in the link. Here it is

http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/aids/hiv_elite_controllers.asp

Good luck with this and let us know how it turns out for you.

I'll also send you a PM with contact details for a study  at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda MD.

There are other studies as well, the best known is by Dr. Jay Levy in San Fransisco. A Google search would help you find details of that study. I think he needs participants who live in the Bay area however.

All the best
Paul

Offline bobino

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2006, 11:32:15 pm »

Just to follow up on OzPaul's post about Dr. Levy's study.  He does need people in the San Francisco area because participants need to come in at least once every three months to have blood drawn.  I'm in the study, and I'm going every two months. 

On that score, not sure how long I'll be in the study.  After being undetectable for about two years, my VL suddenly became detectable again.  It's only 632, but I sure preferred the sound of "undetectable."

Anyway, if you're in the SF area, and you want to participate in the study, I can get you the information. 

John
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2006, 08:27:59 pm »
I know what you mean bobino. My first and second VL numbers: 70 copies and 53 copies. My third VL lab result: 500 copies. I sure liked saying that I was "hovering" near undetectable.

But I've finally had three "determinations"/test results; and I've been positive for 16 months. So now I might qualify for the Harvard study as a viremic controller (touch lots of wood, people, when you read that  :) ). Get in touch with Rachel in the new year. I'll keep y'all in the loop.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2006, 12:41:03 am »
Sorry Oz, I live in Florida  :(

This may be a stupid question, but how can someone be a Long Term non-progressor if they are poz for only 16 months?  I know Long Term Survivors status is usually when someone has been POZ or has AIDS somewhere around 10 years or more.

I was told I'm a Long Term non-progressor for a few reasons.  1) I haven't taken any meds for many years, and 2) I have had NO OI's at all in the 18 1/2 years that I've been positive.

Rev. Michae

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2006, 01:42:49 am »
Hey Rev. Michael,

I'm hoping that I'm an LTNP but I'm certainly not sure of that yet. The study (link above) in which Oz and Zephyr are participants has specific eligibility guidelines:

"3.1 VIREMIC CONTROLLERS

Age 18 to 75 years old
Asymptomatic HIV Infection
Longitudinal HIV RNA that includes a minimum of 3 determinations, in the absence of antiretrovirals, which span at least a 12-month period.
Plasma HIV RNA levels without antiretroviral therapy that is equal or below 2000 cop/ml
Episodes of viremia above 2000 copies /mL as long as such episodes represent the minority of all available determinations.

3.2 ELITE CONTROLLERS

Age 18 to 75 years old
Asymptomatic HIV Infection
Longitudinal HIV RNA that includes a minimum of 3 determinations, in the absence of antiretrovirals, which span at least a 12-month period.
Plasma HIV RNA levels without antiretroviral therapy that is below the level of detection for the respective assay (e.g., < 75 copies/mL by bDNA or < 50 by PCR ultrasensitive)
Episodes of viremia up to 1000 copies /mL as long as there are no consecutive viremia episodes and such episodes represent the minority of all available determinations."

So it's not strictly speaking an LTNP study by older definitions of non-progressor or slow progressor. Hope that helps.

Jay

Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

Offline luckyluckylucky

• ol' blue eyes
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2007, 10:31:54 am »
Hi There,

The "ongoing studies" simply draw blood for future research. As someone positive for HIV, HCV, and everything else, for the last 16 years with >800 T'S AND <1000 LOAD AND NO ILL EFFECTS...I would think that we would be the absolute highest priority of researchers and not just sample factories for later study.
There are also many people that are completely in the closet because of their status as LTNP's and a call for these folks to participate in a real research project might put a whole new statistic in play. i.e. Just how many LTNP's are there? How many impervious folks are there? Nobody knows.

If you have tested positive, never taken HAART, and been healthy for 10+ years please email me @paulmarkowitz@yahoo
use pseudonyms if you like...I'm just taking an informal survey of POS members...I think there are a whole lot more of us than the CDC wants to let on.
Paul

Hi everyone

This picks up from a thread started by Zephyr at the old AM site.

There is an on going study of Long Term Non Progressors (LTNP'S) at Harvard/MGH in Boston. It is run by Bruce Walker and his team. Both Zephyr and I  are what is termed by Bruce Walker as LTNP 'elite controllers'.  Both Zephyr and myself are in this study and a couple of other AM members are  enrolled in this protocol as well.

For this study LTNP's are indicated by never having taken any HAART medications, very low or undectectable viral load and normal range of T-cells over course of infection as well as never having had any OI's for a period of at least 7 years or more.

Below is listed the link to find out more about the study as well as contact info.

http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/aids/hiv_elite_controllers.asp

IMPORTANT UPDATE- Please look at the 'Elite Controllers' thread here at Clinical Trials. The study has been changed and more peolpe may qualify for the newly expanded study. Cheers, Paul...  24th of July

If you are a LTNP (or know of someone who may be) Please contact the folks at this study. The aim is to unlock HIV and hopefully come up with a vaccine (therapeutic).

Cheers
Paul
Conquistador Cielo

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2007, 07:11:56 pm »
Hey Lucky

Good to read your post.

There is perhaps a misunderstanding in relation to your view on some of this research. Samples are often not just for future study. I'm in three different studies including one at the NIH. All of the studies are longitudinal in nature. The aim is to study us actively over many years to see different aspects of our immune response and how that may change over time (years). Having said that, it is ALSO useful for these researchers to have samples stored with which they can continue study of other various factors.

The research I'm invloved in wants my 'active' cells because they have more energy/vitality and information. I likely will be wanted for these studies til I am old or they have ( God willing) found a vaccine or cure.

It would be wonderful if there are more LTNP's out there and it is believed by researchers that there are. All of the studies I am in ( NIH, Harvard and UNSW in Sydney ) are ACTIVELY recruiting new cohort participants.

Cheers
Paul

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2007, 03:33:38 pm »
Hello all,

Just writing a quick update for anyone who may be reading this in the UK and considers themselves to possibly be an Elite or Viremic controller it appears the study has expanded over here now.  I've been in touch with the people at the Research centre and i'm going though the process to see if it may be possible to take part.  So if you think you satisfy the criteria get in touch!

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2007, 07:33:40 pm »
Hey Chris

That would be great  if they start up in the UK ! Please let us know about any developments.

I've been e-mailing the international study co-ordinator in charge of recruitment (Priscilla Padilla). With your post here as an inspiration and with the OK from the co-ordintor, I started a new thread about the global recruitment effort being made through the Harvard/MGH 'elite controller' study.

For any of our global AM Forum friends who might be interested in the study, Priscilla can be reached at   pspadilla@partners.org
or go to the new thread.

Cheers
Paul

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2007, 03:00:01 pm »
Hi All,

Just to let anyone in the UK who is potentially interesting taking part in this study and thinks they may be eligible they are now accepting participants from the UK although it is very much dependant on your ID doc agreeing to take part.  I've been taken on myself it will consist of a single blood draw sent away to Boston to be analyzed with possibly others in the future.

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2007, 05:08:47 pm »
Hey Chris

That's great that your in the study !  Please share with us anything you find out. There has been a very good repsonse to the study from this thread.

Last year was also a big media push happened in relation to the study. Our own Zephyr appeared at the International Aids Conference in Toronto at a news conference with Bruce Walker who heads the study.

Cheers
Paul

Offline zephyr

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2007, 01:49:52 pm »
Hey, Chris!

Honey, I'm elated that you have chosen to particpate in the UK Study that will share your blood donation with Harvard & Dr. Walker's Group (Partners AIDS Research, otherwise known as the HIV Controller's Consortium).

You are one of the people I always carry around in my heart, you must know that!

And, brother of mine, Paul, thanks for mentioning my appearance at the Toronto IAC w/ Dr. Walker....it was one of the more impacting events of my life, as you know!

Love to each of you,

Zephie

Offline zephyr

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2007, 02:02:41 pm »
For "lucky",

Hi. I for one, am not a 'sample factory' for 'future researcher's to draw from'.

I am a 52 year old HIV positive female who, for the last two years, has been a willing contributor of blood, tissues and cells to several research entities with the hope of assisting in THE BREAKTHROUGH.

I do it because I care about the affected community, and have come to understand that WE have become a major focus of study, thus the announcement by Dr. Bruce Walker of Harvard University for a world-wide collaboration and search for more of us everywhere...I watched with pride and genuine joy as this compassionate doctor voiced his appeal to the world press in the great hope to speed their findings.

We must never forget the human factor in this equation, lucky, and detect a rather cynical side to your post. Please remember that on the other side of this screen, I am a living, breathing, and caring individual, not a lab rat. I have always been welcomed warmly by each and every professional I've met, and will come to their defense every time, I'll guarantee you that.

Zephyr

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2007, 10:41:09 pm »
Welcome back Zephyr  ;D

As for your comments  Zephy, I couldn't agree more.

Cheers
Paul

Offline priscuit

« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2007, 05:43:15 pm »
Yes, definitely give us a call. We would be happy to enroll you, if you are not on medication and have at least 2 viral loads below 2000 copies/ml.

www.elitecontrollers.org or call us at 617-643-3643

Offline bobino

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2007, 11:10:05 pm »

Zeph,

Good to see you come roaring back. 

To respond to your point, though, I for one don't mind being a "sample factory."  If my giving blood samples (or any samples, for that matter) will help doctors figure out this horrible disease, I will give them gladly.  In fact, if anyone tells me where or how I can give more, I will do so.

My experience with researchers mirrors yours for the most part.  As I've mentioned before, I participate in Jay Levy's elite controller study.  Although he is one of the country's leading HIV researchers, Dr. Levy isn't some kind of stuffed shirt.  He is one of the most thoughtful and engaged physicians I have ever met.  He listens to my concerns far more carefully than my own primary care physician.  And he has gone out of his way to assist me in getting consultations for my very worrisome lipo.  I'm only one guy in one of his studies, but he always treats me like a human being.  I'm grateful that there are smart, capable people like him doing the hard, tedious work of trying to figure out what makes this virus tick and how we might disarm it.

So I will gladly be a guinea pig and will wear that label proudly.  In my view, it's the very least I can do.  As I said, I would happily do more if I could.

John
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline ministeev

Newly named "elite non progressor".
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2007, 11:41:39 am »
Well, I thought I would log on and share my story.  I received information about this forum from Rachel Rosenburg who is involved with the study at Harvard. 

Back on February 8, 2007, I went in to my doctor for an annual physical which consisted of an HIV test.  When the test came back positive, I was of course like everyone else, FLABBERGASTED. 

He immediately referred me to a specialist here in Fort Worth, TX where I live and I was in on February 19 giving my 10 vials of blood for all my tests. 

Waiting the three weeks for the result was excruciating.  However, when my results were shared with me (the day before my birthday) on March 13, the doctor seemed to be flabbergasted himself.  All of my bloodwork came back normal.  CD4/CD8 ratio was normal.  T cells were in the high 700's and my viral load was "undectable".  I of course have not had any signs of illness.  The doctor stated that he wanted to take the ELISA/Western Blot tests over again and a lower level viral load test due to the fact that the VL test they did was 400 copies or less.  This time he was going to do a test of 50 copies or less. 

Yesterday (March 20) he called me and stated that my WB came back positive, but they still could not detect any viral load of 50 copies or less.  He stated that he shared this information with some other doctor associates and they felt that I was an "elite non-progressor". 

I was pretty amazed.  I totally expected to have him say "Your t-cells are here and your viral load is here, so you need to take this for the rest of your life". 

I'm pretty blown away by this but also grateful.  I would love to connect with any of you and talk to you on the phone if you feel comfortable doing so.  My doctor has put me in touch with the study in MA and I just got off the phone with her a few minutes ago. 

I'm just glad that a "positive" (no pun intended) result came of this and that I can participate in a study that may find a cure for this some day. 

Blessings to all of you. 

David

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2008, 02:55:37 am »
Well, I go in to the clinic to have ten vials of blood drawn (I want my OJ and cookies after that!) tomorrow morning, which will be sent to MGH in Boston. Yep, I'm participating in Bruce walker's study; I meet the criteria for "viremic controller" (touch wood). Infected for nearly three years, VL always between 50 and 70 copies (one "blip" of 500); CD4 and % in the normal range. Glad I'm finally able to do this; there were some hurdles -- getting my university hospital clinic to co-ordinate with PARC/MGH -- but things worked out. Hope my sample is of use; not rejected (as some 15 to 20% of samples are).

I'll be moving to Boston in the fall, so continued participation, should it be needed, will be easy. I'll keep y'all posted.

Jay

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2008, 07:53:44 am »
Jay

Excellent! My experience thus far with Walker's study has been one draw per year. At some point, you may want to check out if you are eligible for the NIH's LTNP study, too.

Em

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2008, 10:14:26 am »
Hi Jay

That is wonderful news !

I usually give blood once a year for Bruce Walker's study, though I have been to Boston 3 times to donate one whole pint of blood. I go back there next week. And be sure to ask for that o.j. and cookies  :D

As Em said, you may want to check out the NIH study. I believe they are studying some viremics as well. Keep us posted on how it's going.

Cheers
Paul

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2008, 04:06:38 pm »
Quick note to say I qualified for the NIH LTNP study as well; I should be headed to Bethesda sometime in July/August I think.

On a side note, I should be hearing back from the Walker study as to what my HLA type is; kinda curious about that.

And I have to say, I've been really impressed by the professionalism and cordiality of everyone I've spoken to involved in administering both studies.

Jay

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.