Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:20:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 232
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Finally made the plunge  (Read 68550 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Finally made the plunge
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2013, 07:21:45 pm »
MissP is about due for a dose anyways.

Why bring me into this? That is just so rude and I am offended. What does this even mean? I asked wolftie a legitimate questions about flipping because the post I initially referenced was somewhat vague and I didn't understand the meaning.

You really need to stop playing games with people here.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2013, 03:23:37 am »
Wolf I apologize if I offended you.  At times I forget you have a delicate disposition and clearly my "nature" conflicts with that. I will bow out of this thread and take my ribbing elsewhere... MissP is about due for a dose anyways.

keep up the good work though, I will watch your progress from the sidelines.

Btw, I've seen plenty of trailers on sales lot here that are 10 times nicer than my house, and that I would have no probs living in.

-Will

Wolf I apologize if I offended you.  At times I forget you have a delicate disposition and clearly my "nature" conflicts with that. I will bow out of this thread and take my ribbing elsewhere... MissP is about due for a dose anyways.

keep up the good work though, I will watch your progress from the sidelines.

Btw, I've seen plenty of trailers on sales lot here that are 10 times nicer than my house, and that I would have no probs living in.

-Will

I apologize since some of your aren't aware of all I'm dealing with.  As I read through this thread and I am totally apologetic .  I've tried to understand humor in the scope of illness and death.  I hope you can all understand ,  my mother was recently diagnosed with the worst case of what's I'm dealing with.  She is a stubborn ass person.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2014, 03:16:35 pm »
OK, hoping you all might have some expertise in the heating field.  This place has a natural gas furnace that was working great until a couple of days ago.  Lost heat and had to shut the well down and drain the water lines until we get heat back.

I've contacted several furnace repairmen, but imagine....they're all booked up.

the issue:  the pilot light stays lit and fires up properly.  After the combustion chamber get hot, the fan kicks on.  Instantaneously, the flame goes out.  I can relight it over and over but it always shuts off as soon as the fan kicks on.

It appears as if there's some sort of kill switch that is telling the gas to shut off.  Any knowledge out there?

Wolfie

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2014, 03:41:56 pm »
OK, hoping you all might have some expertise in the heating field.  This place has a natural gas furnace that was working great until a couple of days ago.  Lost heat and had to shut the well down and drain the water lines until we get heat back.

I've contacted several furnace repairmen, but imagine....they're all booked up.

the issue:  the pilot light stays lit and fires up properly.  After the combustion chamber get hot, the fan kicks on.  Instantaneously, the flame goes out.  I can relight it over and over but it always shuts off as soon as the fan kicks on.

It appears as if there's some sort of kill switch that is telling the gas to shut off.  Any knowledge out there?

Wolfie

This sounds very similar to what we experienced.  It would kick on and then shut down.  One chamber wasn't lighting, due to the chamber rusting through.  I think there are 3 or 4 chambers.  It is designed to shut down, if all chambers don't light.  Otherwise, you have gas coming out with no flame burning it in that chamber.  Good protection. 

We were told by 2 HVAC guys that it would cost like $1,000 to fix.  I think that was due to the age of the furnace.  It was about 25 years old.  We opted to just upgrade.  Hopefully, that won't be the case with you and they can fix it and maybe yours is a totally different issue.  But, if it is older, they said this is a common issue. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2014, 03:53:51 pm »
This furnace has a single combustion chamber.  The home is 14 years old and the furnace worked fine until this happened.  It wasn't used for almost 3 years and I had it serviced after I bought the place.  It's strange as the pilot stays lit until the blower kicks on.  I don't know if there's some sort of relay that tells the pilot to shut down.  I'm googling like hell.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2014, 04:10:41 pm »
That happened to my water heater and the repair guy said some thingamajiggy went bad . Hope this helps .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2014, 04:22:32 pm »
You may have already found this.  I googled too. 

"It can be one of two things. A limit is being tripped and killing 24v to the gas valve and bringing on the blower or you have a crack or hole in your heat exchanger and when the blower kicks on it blows the flame away from the flame sensor. In any case it could be dangerous and you would want to get the system checked out."

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heating-air-conditioning/furnace-lights-has-flame-but-shuts-off-when-blower-starts-413424.html

This also talks about flame sensor with pics.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,23422513

Offline wolfter

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2014, 04:23:48 pm »
That happened to my water heater and the repair guy said some thingamajiggy went bad . Hope this helps .

I found several thingamajiggies, just don't know to test them.   ;D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2014, 04:30:14 pm »
Im going out on a limb here because I do not know the right terms . Sounds like the pilot light thing is going bad and that's the problem . I had to light my water heater about 3 times a week before I figured out the wind in my attic was not the problem as I assumed .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2014, 04:34:00 pm »
You may have already found this.  I googled too. 

"It can be one of two things. A limit is being tripped and killing 24v to the gas valve and bringing on the blower or you have a crack or hole in your heat exchanger and when the blower kicks on it blows the flame away from the flame sensor. In any case it could be dangerous and you would want to get the system checked out."

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heating-air-conditioning/furnace-lights-has-flame-but-shuts-off-when-blower-starts-413424.html

This also talks about flame sensor with pics.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,23422513

thanks for the link.  I already tested the thermostat and eliminated that.  I'm suspecting something is killing the voltage causing the pilot to immediately extinguish.  Oh well, I'll just use the fireplace when I'm there and wait on the repairman. 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2014, 04:43:32 pm »
  I don't know if there's some sort of relay that tells the pilot to shut down.  I'm googling like hell.

Hey Greg,...

A couple things here.  First, you may want to see if you can adjust the pilot light flame. Most of these are adjustable, and you may have to turn it up a little.  If you look at the pilot light, there should be a small gas line, running from the pilot light to another small gas control unit.  There should be a small slotted screw, that is used to adjust ONLY the pilot light flame height. It should be marked.

Second. Connected closely to the pilot flame ( In fact it is probably partially in the pilot light flame, is a small rod. ( about 1 1/2 inches long, and smaller in diameter than a pencil )

This rod is the thermocouple, that turns the flame off ( cuts the gas, to the pilot), should the flame become extinguished, for whatever reason. Once the flame goes out, the rod cools and causes the control mechanism, to stop feeding gas to the pilot.  Older furnaces ( many years ago) never had these, in which case, should the flame go out, there would be a small amount of gas leaking.

The thermocouple has a small line that runs to the gas control unit also.

The 3 things I would check, is two make sure the flame is adjusted properly on the pilot light, and that the thermocouple is functioning properly.

I would also check all access panels to make sure they are secured properly.  Seems to me, that I remember a shield of sorts around the pilot light, to help prevent the flame from going out. I would look for any possible missing sheilds or deflectors, around the pilot light

If any of the above is unfamiliar , then you really need to call someone to check the pilot flame and thermocouple. You don't need an explosion!!  :o

Pilot light thermocouple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNd2TAddg78

Good luck ---Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wolfter

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2014, 04:48:31 pm »
thanks Ray.  I'm going to change the thermocouple first.  I doubted it was the problem since it does light.  Normally, a pilot won't stay lit at all once it fails.  For no more than it costs, it's worth trying.  This unit doesn't have an adjustable pilot.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2014, 04:52:45 pm »

By the way, Gas hot water tanks have this thermocouple also.  It's code.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2014, 04:54:27 pm »

By the way, Gas hot water tanks have this thermocouple also.  It's code.

Ray

You sir are making me look bad with all your fancy correct information  .  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2014, 12:19:14 pm »
The repairman discovered the problem.  There is in fact a slight crack in the combustion chamber.  I made the problem worse by turning the heat down below 50 while not there.  When it suddenly got so cold, it was sucking too much air, thereby putting out the flame.

Because it's warmer, he was able to get it going again.  He says as long as I don't turn the heat down that low again, it should last through the season.  It'll be cheaper to replace it in the Spring as opposed to now.

I'm considering converting it to electric anyways. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2014, 03:08:12 pm »
Here are the latest pictures of the place.  I have the front rooms and one bathroom capable of being used.  I can tolerate painted subfloors until I get everything else done.  I have a pair of devoted slippers while hanging out there.

I divided the LR into several different areas.  That is too large for one room.  It also has a decent sized DR that I'll just put a more formal set that'll seldom be used.  My next goal upon healing is the floors.  In the mean time, it's relaxing to have a place to hang out and be alone.  :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2014, 03:29:38 pm »
That's a big space Greg! Looking forward to seeing the flooring.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2014, 04:50:21 pm »
where do the double doors lead?

you should provide us floor plans LOL

that place is looking SO much nicer. You have done a lot of very good work!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2014, 09:52:33 am »
where do the double doors lead?

you should provide us floor plans LOL

that place is looking SO much nicer. You have done a lot of very good work!

Those lead to the master suite.  That entire area measures 28' x 16' so I should be able to end up with a fabulous master closet.  I will custom build it.  I can't afford my desired cherry wood so I'll use birch with a cherry stain.  That area had the worst damage and I had to gut it to the joists but already have the subfloors all reinstalled. 

I had a foundation expert over a couple of days ago.  I wasn't sure why so much of the trim had come loose and was afraid of settling.  He said it was perfect and a lot of the issues probably arose from sitting empty with no heat for so long...thank goodness.  More money saved.  :)  I'm happy beyond belief that all the mechanicals were fine and simply needed servicing.

I already bought the components for my dry bar.  That large alcove in one picture will house a fabulous bar area. 

My dream was always to rehab an old Victorian or farmhouse, and this actually taught me a lot. 

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2014, 05:01:58 pm »
WOW you have had a major project on your hands.  The place looks huge!  Just a matter of weeks and you will have those windows open to let in the warm spring air. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2014, 08:53:42 am »
My closet update.  I've spent a week now customizing my closet.  I built my own shoe rack that still needs a couple of more shelves added and a casual clothes unit. Not too shabby considering this was a complete tear out and rebuild.

It has been a stressful year, dealing with this place, mom's illness and such.  Several times I was on the verge but somehow dealt with it better than I have in the past.  I even considered selling it as it seemed so daunting.  I also considered taking out a loan so I could pay to have it all completed.

Now that it's pert near done, I am ever so grateful that I didn't have to finance anything.  It feels awesome to have a sense of financial freedom that comes from not having a mortgage or rent payment.  I also petitioned for a tax abatement and was granted one for 2 years.  It's part of a program where they're encouraging people to buy distressed homes and fix them up.  They'll eventually garner more tax revenue in the long run so it benefits everyone.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2014, 09:01:43 am »
remodeling in our bedrooms - including my closet where some of the improperly installed racks have ripped out of the wall!! - commences next week.... maybe. LOL I still have a ton of cabinet doors to paint in the kitchen; but that shouldn't hinder my brother and his crew from doing the two bed and bath rooms.

Good work on your house!!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:32 am »
As I told you Mikey, I was amazed at your recent remodeling projects. 

Another goal I had was to replace all the 80's style, gold plated fixtures.  After an expensive ceiling fan and table lamp, I decided to temporarily fix all the problem gold plated items in the house.  I wanted everything in brushed nickle, but lord it's costly.  I bought several cans of brushed nickle spray paint.

The dining room ceiling is the last one that needs painted but that god awful gold fixture was driving me crazy.  A little paint and I can at least live with it for a while.  More pics for your pleasure.  :)

I just noticed that I need a little more ceiling paint around this fixture.  :(

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2014, 10:20:13 am »
replace all the 80's style, gold plated fixtures.  After an expensive ceiling fan and table lamp, I decided to temporarily fix all the problem gold plated items in the house.  I wanted everything in brushed nickle, but lord it's costly.  I bought several cans of brushed nickle spray paint.
ROFLMAO
we've been changing out those gold fixtures for brushed nickle too! Lord! Are switch plates expensive!!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2014, 10:08:23 am »
I like the brushed nickel Greg. Great solution!

For some reason I think the pics of your shoes is just the tip of the iceberg. Where are you hiding the rest?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2014, 11:27:18 am »
Jeff, here are the problem cabinets I was discussing with you.  I HAVE to get rid of the gold inlay design.  I was thinking of maybe just replacing the glass with simple colored glass but if you have any suggestions I'll listen.  Perhaps pay someone to create something unique?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2014, 12:18:26 pm »
I'm familiar with those type cabinets and its not to terribly difficult to pop the glass or plastic out to change it up but it is really expensive to buy that much stain glass in that large of sheets . If you had some one do leaded glass it would be thousands to have it done ... copper foil would allow you to foil and solder smaller pieces together but is very expensive also .

Have you considered primer and paint as an option ... or decorative tin like old ceiling tile ?     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2014, 12:33:00 pm »
Wow so industrious and such good results. I like those cabinets. I like the gold but of course now it doesn't go with your theme. Why not just put in clear glass. Or frosted plain glass.

I know Im a bit eclectic but what do people have against mixing gold and silver? My kitchen has mostly brushed stainless but I have brass mixed in and it looks homey. I even put glittery gold stars and comets stickers on my silvery fridge. Anyway I like it.

To me mixing gold tone and silver tones with wood warms up the silver.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline zach

« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »
whats the final look you're going for wolfie? punched tin panels in the cabinet doors would look very cracker barrel country, but would blend with the brushed nickel

Offline wolfter

« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2014, 08:09:31 am »
I'm trying to achieve a toned down Turkish theme with a little French Riviera thrown in.  Definitely not doing a country theme.

Any sort of tin or punched metal will definitely produce a country feel.  I had a friend who's a real estate agent give me a detailed list of things that should be replaced based on the current market.  He says that's the number one complaint from home seekers is 80's style fixtures.

He says this will be an easy sell if I choose to go that route.  He knows of no other properties this close to the lake that has 3 lots.  I sit directly across from the Yacht club and boat launches so this would be ideal for some of the seasonal people. 

I guess I'll settle for colored glass as I see stained glass panels are out of touch with my pocketbook.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2014, 08:25:41 am »
The reason I mentioned tin was because they are not always punched or country ... some are contemporary in design and very easy to work with . I do like the idea of glass though .

Wolfe ... I used to go to glass company in town and raid the dumpster with their permission . They installed new windows for folks and brought back the old ones with the old wavy glass .

I would take the glass and foil the edges in copper and solder them together its super easy to do . I have a cabinet in my kitchen that I used old glass I found and threw a in few bevels I bought to dress them up .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2014, 08:35:52 am »
One of the things I like about copper foil work is you can incorporate anything interesting into the piece as long as it can be foiled and soldered . I have made windows out of everything to bits or metal to geode slices ... the geode slices are beautiful when back-lit or in a window . This is not specific advice advice for your projects but considering all the possibility's can get your creative juices flowing and lead to the perfect plan .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2014, 09:00:57 am »
I've been searching and I found some really pretty options.  Home Depot has different colored glass and I'm really drawn to the bold red.  It has that wavy look to it.  I think that means it has a higher led level?  removing the existing glass will be a piece of cake.  It is only caulked into place.

There's a product also available where you can frost existing glass but I know the existing design will be visible.  And I'm a dumb ass, my sister is the office manager at a glass manufacturing plant so I'll give her a holler and see if she has any thing I might be able to use.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2014, 10:25:47 am »
Awesome!!!!  I got the replacement panes ordered today at an unbelievable price.  FREE!!!!  My sister's company has both P516 obscure glass and frosted acid etched glass.  She is bringing them to me next week and I told her I prefer the acid ones.

She is bringing me a sample of the obscure just make sure.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2014, 03:01:07 pm »
having relatives in certain professions sure can be helpful. That whole island we installed in the kitchen came at almost no expense.

pictures. i wanna pix of these new panes when you get them installed. :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2014, 10:14:13 am »
A bit off topic but I rec'd other pretty good news yesterday that was the antithesis of the original news that I was initially upset about.  Right after my mother's diagnosis, she took out a loan on her pick up truck to finance a long, around the country vacation visiting all her sisters.  I didn't even know about this until we were going through her financials.  I've obviously changed my mindset and am glad she did that.

I made a ridiculously low offer to the finance company expecting that they would reject it.  None of us really need another truck and weren't willing to pay what they loaned her on it.  They accepted my $500 offer to settle the debt.  I asked each of my siblings if they wanted it and none did.  So now my 30 year old S10 has a younger companion S10.  It's purple, but what the heck.  :) 

We've also all reached the point where we're ready to deal with her personal affects.  Every time I've entered her bedroom, I became overwhelmed.  None of us have been able to sort through things.  We're going down later to pack it up to donate to a local church that provides free clothing to the needy.  I see an emotion packed evening.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2014, 10:24:11 am »
A bit off topic but I rec'd other pretty good news yesterday that was the antithesis of the original news that I was initially upset about.  Right after my mother's diagnosis, she took out a loan on her pick up truck to finance a long, around the country vacation visiting all her sisters.  I didn't even know about this until we were going through her financials.  I've obviously changed my mindset and am glad she did that.

I made a ridiculously low offer to the finance company expecting that they would reject it.  None of us really need another truck and weren't willing to pay what they loaned her on it.  They accepted my $500 offer to settle the debt.  I asked each of my siblings if they wanted it and none did.  So now my 30 year old S10 has a younger companion S10.  It's purple, but what the heck.  :) 

We've also all reached the point where we're ready to deal with her personal affects.  Every time I've entered her bedroom, I became overwhelmed.  None of us have been able to sort through things.  We're going down later to pack it up to donate to a local church that provides free clothing to the needy.  I see an emotion packed evening.

I know that when my dad died I payed off his credit cards although it was my understanding that his estate was not under any obligation to do so ... not sure about an automobile loan though . It could be they were happy to get anything they could from you .

I had to gather my dads possessions when I sold his home and it was hard to part with things and very emotional ... it took me a few years to get rid of the things I had no need of so I am looking back and remembering that when I read where you are in the process .

Hope you can get through this with some happy memories ... its a tough part and almost like having to say goodbye again . Hugs . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2014, 10:36:13 am »
Hope you can get through this with some happy memories ... its a tough part and almost like having to say goodbye again
sorting through someone's belongings is the second worst part of them dying. :-X It really is a time when you say goodbye. Goodbye to things in your childhood (often parents will still own things we made/bought/had as children), goodbye to times you shared together and just goodbye.

My thoughts when doing this "sorting" was to get rid of as many things as possible and only keep the things I could really use or that really "mattered". Things I didn't know what to do with or didn't know if I should part with, I simply boxed up. Then during my subsequent moves (which happened yrs later), I've revisited those boxes and threw away more. It was easier to pare down to the essential items to keep when some time had gone by.

Hugs my friend <3
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2015, 02:48:39 am »
I realized I hadn't update this thread for a while.  It kinda turned into dealing with mother and this place.  I have one bedroom that is full of boxes.  My brother and I simply boxed up everything of mom's and it's stored floor to ceiling in one of the bedrooms.  We still haven't went through it as it hasn't even been a year yet and will get to it.

Other than that, I've managed even with all my injuries to continue what I could.  It's actually fun now that I got the new flooring down and doing the decorating aspects.  Greg has been awesome and enjoys helping me do the girly touches.  He said how much he enjoys being here and how comfortable the place is.  I have seen the home he lived in the last 15 years and this doesn't compare but he indicates that he feels more love here than that place. 

And of course, I have to post a photo of one finished room.  I was given my maternal grandmother's cherry dining room suite that just brings a sense of her into my home.  I loved her so very much.

I think this room turned out pretty OK.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2015, 05:44:13 am »
Very nice Greg !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2015, 10:58:49 am »
I recently finished up the walls in the last room (my den) at our house. Gone is the old wallpaper and a beautiful color (called "tea and honey") is on the newly patched, plastered and sanded walls). We still have to put flooring down in the den and my bedroom; but that's all that's left (well except for the baseboards after the flooring LOL) after the remodeling because of the black mold.

Your dining room looks lovely! Do you have placemats for the table?

Glad to hear you and the other Greg are still going strong.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2015, 02:01:34 pm »
Looks great Greg!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2015, 03:15:06 am »

Your dining room looks lovely! Do you have placemats for the table?

Glad to hear you and the other Greg are still going strong.

Placemats?  Absolutely NOT!  :)  I didn't even want curtains but relented on sheers.  I even reupholstered the seats with a high grade, marine grade vinyl.  Anything made of material kinda freaks me out a bit.  I like all my surfaces to be able to bleach clean.  And I like a very minimal look.

I tolerated things on the counter top for about a week.  I stared at that clutter (he called it decorating) and finally had to put everything away.  IMHO, only a coffee pot should be visible. 

I'm just glad to be done to the point where I can focus on the outside when the weather permits.  I spent a lot of last summer indoors constantly working. 

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2015, 08:02:59 pm »
What a difference Greg !
don't know how I missed this thread ,
I love renovations , just not the mess .
can't believe you accomplished that with all your injuries !
Looks ready for a cozy pot roast dinner !!!
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2015, 09:06:21 am »
What a difference Greg !
don't know how I missed this thread ,
I love renovations , just not the mess .
can't believe you accomplished that with all your injuries !
Looks ready for a cozy pot roast dinner !!!

Thanks.  I've been searching for stock blueprints for the new place but am not having much luck.  I hope to break ground in early Spring so I can have it finished before the end of Summer.  Years ago, Bill and I looked at a house that sat atop of a huge garage and I fell in love with it.  I couldn't convince him it wasn't exactly an apartment...lol 

I want a smaller ranch house around 1200 sq ft.  But I want it to sit on top of a 1200 sq ft garage.  Lots of obvious benefits but the greatest being that I wouldn't have to carry flood insurance.  We're noticing these types of homes being built quite often around here.  Flood insurance is quite expensive when you sit below a lake. 

This entire region was created in the middle of a swamp.  They built an earthen damn to hold the swamp at bay creating a huge lake.  It was built to provide water for the newly formed Erie Canal.  So all of the homes here sit below lake level.  And god help us if the earthen damn ever gives way.  20 years ago or so, the huge spillway damn started cracking and bowing.  They had no choice but to open all the locks and flood the village.  Had it completely collapsed, the area would have been swept away.  The fortunate part was that all the derelict homes couldn't hold up and were razed.  There were a lot of thrown together cottages to house workers and weren't even built on foundations.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2015, 11:11:46 am »
Hey Wolf,
Stay out of that flood zone !
Cost us dearly when we sold our house on the water.
Had to lower the price to get a cash buyer,
A bank would require the new owner to pay a 5,000 $ premium,
Not to mention wind insurance , and homeowners.
Big bunch of shit !

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2015, 10:28:19 am »
How odd that I previously mentioned the dam and it possibly breaching.  The Army Corp of Engineers recently declared that there is a high probability of a complete breach.  They have all but drained our beautiful lake and said it could take upwards of 5 years to shore it up.

The housing market is already suffering and the other Greg said they wouldn't even consider a home mortgage loan in this area.  He says that they would consider loaning 75% of an independent appraised amount.  Which means the average lakefront home buyer would need at least $100K down payment. 

At this point, it's so unsure that I'm probably going to hold off building on the side lot.  Or perhaps I'll build the garage now and wait to erect the apartment portion.

I'm totally screwed if this dam does breach as I don't have flood insurance and can't obtain it now.  I'll be one of the first people swept away as I sit right in front of the earthen dam.  My Allstate agent says they won't add flood insurance to our existing policies if we didn't already carry it.  Makes sense actually.

I did just finish one of the guest rooms but I doubt anyone would feel comfortable staying in there. :o

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2015, 10:47:14 am »
I did just finish one of the guest rooms but I doubt anyone would feel comfortable staying in there. :o
If you replace your mattress with an air mattress, you'll have an instant raft when then waters sweep across town. Since they deflate and will pack well, I'll bring some of my pool floats when I come visit.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline zach

« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2015, 10:51:31 am »
no love for the COE, less than 1% of american rivers run free... to damn many dams

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2015, 03:07:40 pm »
Seriously Wolfe, stay out of the flood zone.
The new implemented flood zone rules are crazy ,
and are subject to change with out warning.
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.