Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:20:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 229
Total: 229

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Airports security and medication  (Read 21423 times)

Offline hereinny

Airports security and medication
« on: January 13, 2010, 07:31:27 am »
I am going to be traveling with some friend soon and only one of them knows my status.  What do I do about my meds while going through security.  I normally only carry enough pills for what I need while I'm away and put them in an unmarked bottle. if i get bound up at the checkpoint they ask me what the pills are for, i could have a problem.
Im sure Im not the only one so can anyone tell me what the deal is with medication and airport security?

Thanks

Offline oater6947

Re: Airports security and medication
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:39:34 am »
I stick the prescription to the the bottle and anyone who is interested to know whats in the bottle will read it, it has worked for me  a couple of times
Date          CD4    Vl
24-08-08     48      850K
08-09-08      started Truvada/Kaletra Dapsone
08-10-08     94      586K
10-11-08    123     354K
12-01-09      98     176K
15-03-09    145       40K
16-05-09    170        5K
24-06-09    220        3K
02-09-09    190           80
09-09-09    172          <50
16-12-09    240            40

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:03:51 am »
I've been traveling for 17 years with HIV meds and never once have had a bottle of pills yanked and questioned.  You're actually at more risk putting them in an unmarked bottle rather than the bottle that they came in with the script label on it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 10:35:23 am »
In my own recent experience, I had two of those weekly pill holder thingies (the long ones that have compartments for each day of the week) filled with two weeks' supply for a one week trip. I put both pill holders into a cloth bag that cinched on top. It was in my backpack, which went through the screening machine and they did not say anything at all, it just went through without a problem.

A friend of mine, poz since like 1986, told me that's how he does it and he's never had a problem.

In case they had asked I put the printouts from the pharmacy in the backpack also, in a small notebook. The pharmacy I've been using gives these separate printouts with all the info. for each prescription.

If I had opened my bag at any point, people around me would not have been able to see that I had pill-holders since they were in a bag. It was discrete.

When that plane landed on the Hudson I kept thinking if I had been there I would have had to try and get out trying to keep the backpack dry so as not to waste two weeks' supply of meds, lol. Probably he least of my worries at that point but . . .
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:21:24 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:56:41 am »
The reason I always say to take the paper scripts, is because if all of a sudden security was to search for illegal drugs (think international customs) then you have legal proof of what medications you are taking.  It's not about searching for teh AIDS.  In such instances I'd be less concerned about lack of disclosure to traveling partners and more about my own survival if customs/security was to take my medication away.  For those of you that seem to like throwing caution to the wind and traveling without the pharmacy prescription bottles what would you do in the scenario I just described?

And I should be more clear in my previous statement -- what I meant was that I was never questioned about HIV/AIDS specifically, but I have had my medication checked out and I have been singled out more than once (mostly pre-diagnosis though but that's sort of irrelevant) as a very shady character that reeks of international drug dealer.  That happened both times in Europe and once post-diagnosis in the Dominican Republic.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:19:02 am »
I agree about the paper scripts thing which is why I had those printouts from the pharmacy, they had all the information that could be found on a label, i.e. my name, name and dosage of med, doctor's name, etc.

If they had questioned me about the pill-holders and I showed them that I really doubt they would have given me a hard time, but I guess you never know.

I think the whole meds thing is more of an issue with people who are on liquid meds (fuzeon, insulin, etc) since some explosives can be made from liquids or gels.  Out of the millions of people who travel each day if they started questioning everyone with pills, can you imagine how long that would take?

Of course if terrorists devised an explosive pill then we're screwed since that would mean major scrutiny for pills after that.

Hereinny: Make sure you pack more meds than you will need. You never know about delays and so forth.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 12:20:31 pm »
Out of the millions of people who travel each day if they started questioning everyone with pills, can you imagine how long that would take?

Well yeah, of course they don't do that.  But what they do is sporadic full carry on searches, and I've certainly encountered those.  I've even had a full on search done twice by two separate security areas within 100 feet of each other, though that was the same week as the initial "liquid terrorist" alert back in 2006.  More than anything I make everything as easy as possible just to avoid a delay at security and not miss a flight.

I'm mostly paranoid with this when boarding an overseas flight that is inbound to the US.  Simple domestic flights are never an issue, nor generally are outbound international flights.

Offline Brooke P.

• The Best men in the world, my Dad and my Son!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 12:37:24 pm »
When I went to Italy in 2004 I had my pharmacy make up some smaller bottles to carry only the amount that I needed with the labels on them. I carried them on the plane in my carry on and never had any trouble.
Feb. 2003 -tested positive
Started Kaletra and Combivir
2/26/03  CD4=1080   VL=218,333
3/3/03    CD4=1072   VL=546,010
4/10/03  CD4=1886   VL=1901
12/23/03 CD4=1711   VL=<50
STOPPED MEDS IN JUNE 2004
STARTED BACK WHEN I GOT PREGNANT
9/2009  CD4=274    VL=199,420
WENT 4 YEARS WITHOUT MEDS NOW I'M BACK ON MEDS, ATRIPLA
11/2009 CD4=574    VL=350
2/24/2010 CD4=851 VL=48

Offline jclarke

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 01:13:29 pm »
Most airlines "require" that you have any/all meds in the original prescription container. 

Things are getting tighter because of the way Al Quaida and others are figuring out how to better equip self contained explosives.

It'll make it easier for them to check your carry-on as well.  Also, make sure that you carry with you all your meds that you will need, just in case check-in baggage gets lost/stolen or re-routed.

Offline weasel

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 08:33:56 pm »

They do not care !

I fly with ALL my pills !  Many MANY pills ..................................   :o

Not one time has anyone blinked an eye !

Just make sure all the labels  are for what is in the bottle !

I try to take NEW bottles so the seal is on , of course when I come home they are

open , but never an issue !

Fly well ,
                                                      Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 08:58:45 pm »
I fly several times a month.  I bring my pills in an unmarked pill case - and nobody has ever even asked.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 09:39:56 pm »
For those of you that seem to like throwing caution to the wind and traveling without the pharmacy prescription bottles what would you do in the scenario I just described?

Same thing I would do if they were stolen (beautiful packaging and all  :) ) -- call home and get some meds FEDEXed.  You are better off with a simple plan that works against lots of different threats rather than obsessing over marginal threats, which (as you concede) neither you nor anyone else on the forums say they have actually ever experienced.

Find someone you trust with a key, Miss P, and relax....
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 09:49:51 pm »
which (as you concede) neither you nor anyone else on the forums say they have actually ever experienced.
Actually then no, you didn't read my clarification in my second post.

Then again, I'm not hiding my medications from traveling companions.  Ever.  Never have.

Offline gemini20

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 10:03:27 pm »
As someone in transit as I write (currently at Incheon International in Seoul) I have had no problems whatsoever in carrying my HIV meds in their own bottles plus an extra week's worth in a pill box through security. Each bottle and the pill box was just in my hand luggage, I didn't even have to take them out of the bag.

When I arrived in Australia I even ticked the box for customs that said I was carrying prescription drugs and I wasn't even asked to show what they were, let alone what they were for.

I travel internationally regularly now and have never been asked to take medications out of my hand luggage.

Relax and enjoy your travels!

Emma

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 07:22:49 am »
We've not travelled extensively with meds, but the 2 times we've flown - Mexico in 2008 and Boston in 2009, we've never had any problems. I was worried when she was still on liquid Zerit, but we were able to switch them to pills before we traveled.  My dad travels with meds about 12 times / year and he's never been asked about them. 

Like Gemini, we just put them in our carry-on luggage, in their original bottles.  I put all of them together in a zip lock bag.  After being x-rayed, Mim's bags were never opened for further inspection.  For preventative meds (tylonol, Tums, etc.), I had them in my purse in a pill container.  Never had problems with them, either.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline MarkB

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 08:24:06 am »
I know that the ban on travel to the US has supposedly been lifted, but is there any indication that HIV meds are no longer an issue going through immigration? Or, to put it another way, has the paperwork caught up with the policies yet? I ask because I may have to travel there in April.

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 05:22:23 pm »
Last time I travelled (which was last week, into the US) they were more concerned with my hair gel than any of the meds. Security screeners won't generally consider medication a threat to airline safety. I've been to the US at least 5 times in the last year - never had a problem.

Offline chguy78

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 06:17:56 pm »
I'm in an airport as I write this and had no trouble from TSA re my pill organizer in my carry-on luggage. I don't carry a prescription or the original even though it's required by some states' laws. Keep in mind though, that TSA also said nothing about the 3oz bottle of lotion either that I didn't know was in my carry-on.  When I do travel overseas with my meds, I do take the original bottles for customs. I've never been asked for them, though.
01/11: CD4=753 (36%), VL=Undetectable
07/10: CD4=531 (33%), VL=Undetectable
04/10: CD4=746 (33%), VL=Undetectable
01/10: CD4=566 (35%), VL=Undetectable
10/09: CD4=436 (31%), VL=405
07/09: CD4=631 (27%), VL=847
06/09: Started: Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir
05/09: CD4=426 (28%), VL=38,300
04/09: Positive; CD4=466 (28%), VL=39,700
10/08: Negative

Offline PozBrian

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 06:28:09 pm »
Just read your original post again and noticed that you said at least one of your traveling companions does not know your HIV status. If you're concerned, go to a different security line. People are usually so focused on there own screening that they rarely notice someone if front or behind them (unless they are really slow,) let alone someone in an entirely different line.
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 06:56:59 pm »
Just read your original post again and noticed that you said at least one of your traveling companions does not know your HIV status. If you're concerned, go to a different security line. People are usually so focused on there own screening that they rarely notice someone if front or behind them (unless they are really slow,) let alone someone in an entirely different line.

That's so true Brian.  I never pay attention to what other people carry.  And besides, it's not like every person out there knows what HIV meds look like.  Atripla looks like a big vitamin.  So does Isentress.  Truvada could pass as some pain killer.  And so on. 

To the OP, as everyone has posted, you shouldn't worry about being questioned.  In my seven months of taking meds I have had to travel repeatedly (mainly domestic) for work reasons.  I take my pills in my carry-on, making sure that I have an extra couple of pills in case a flight gets delayed/cancelled.  The same applies to international travel (at least Europe, South africa, and South America -- I'm not sure if you plan to go to a place as strict as China or North Korea where things may be different).

I agree about the paper scripts thing which is why I had those printouts from the pharmacy, they had all the information that could be found on a label, i.e. my name, name and dosage of med, doctor's name, etc.

Mine even includes a physical description of the pills (with a little drawing sort of thing), so there should be no question as to the legitimacy of what one carries.

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 09:23:57 pm »
I've been traveling for 17 years with HIV meds and never once have had a bottle of pills yanked and questioned.  You're actually at more risk putting them in an unmarked bottle rather than the bottle that they came in with the script label on it.

same here...

Offline hereinny

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 12:39:13 am »
I am most likely making too big a deal of this.  Its my first time flying since meds and it was a thought i had while i was online so i thought i would ask.
My brother has a weeks worth of meds in case i need them he can fexEx them to me.  Its Atripla so its just 7 pills.  Im only going for 4 days so I'm just going to put 6 pills in an little coin envelope with my prescription label and put them in my pocket.  There is no metal in them or the envelope so i don't even need to take them out of my pocket. (i don't think) and even if i do, if i get questioned, by that time my friend will be far enough ahead that he wont even know what's going on. 
I like the idea of carrying them in an unmarked bottle with the prescription inside or one of those pill organizers.
Im not going overseas, just to New Orleans for the weekend.  No biggy

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 01:04:02 am »
About taking just enough HIV meds to get you through the trip---

I would be afraid something would happen where I was forced to stay longer...illness, car crash, detained for some reason, another 9/11 where all flights are grounded.  I'm a worrier as everyone probably knows by now..lol.  I would want to take more meds than I needed. 

Offline shady_dave

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 05:46:34 am »
I'm going from the UK to the US in April.  I'll be taking my meds in their original containers in my hand luggage.  My prescribing clinic provided me with a standard letter they issue for travellers saying:

"This person is on the following medication which is essential for their health.  Please contact this clinic for any further queries."

My Dr says he's provided this to loads of travellers and none of them have ever had a problem.

I have a related question which I forgot to ask at the clinic - I take my meds at 10.30 pm GMT as they're best taken before bed.  When I change to US time, do I continue to take them at GMT time or do I change to 10.30 pm US time which is about 7 hrs ahead?

What do other people do?

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 10:17:19 am »

I have a related question which I forgot to ask at the clinic - I take my meds at 10.30 pm GMT as they're best taken before bed.  When I change to US time, do I continue to take them at GMT time or do I change to 10.30 pm US time which is about 7 hrs ahead?

What do other people do?

Whenever people ask this on thebody.com or on Dr. Gallant's site, they always say it's fine to just continue your normal schedule in the new city. I asked about it recently and that's what they said, in my case it was a 3 hour difference in time.

I think it might be more of an issue if a person is not yet undetectable but if you are undetectable it should be no big deal.

You could always ask or look at archived questions on the following sites:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/index.html

http://www.hopkins-aids.edu/q_a/patient/recent_questions/index.html?navigationId=254313&siteId=7150

Offline chguy78

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 11:09:18 am »

What do other people do?

I flew to South Asia a few months back and switched my schedule so that I took the medicine twenty-four hours after the last time I took it (using my residence time and not the local time).  I told my doctor that I did that and she said that it wasn't really necessary.  I could've just kept with the same numeric time regardless of the time zone. 

A side note is that it sure is a lot harder for me to take pills at night instead of my regular 8am - I feel like I would be so much more prone to forget or to be somewhere without the pills.
01/11: CD4=753 (36%), VL=Undetectable
07/10: CD4=531 (33%), VL=Undetectable
04/10: CD4=746 (33%), VL=Undetectable
01/10: CD4=566 (35%), VL=Undetectable
10/09: CD4=436 (31%), VL=405
07/09: CD4=631 (27%), VL=847
06/09: Started: Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir
05/09: CD4=426 (28%), VL=38,300
04/09: Positive; CD4=466 (28%), VL=39,700
10/08: Negative

Offline shady_dave

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 03:07:44 am »
Thanks for the responses and the hyperlinks - they were very helpful! 

Offline Dsd09

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 11:27:37 am »
I travel by plane quite a bit for work and have never had a problem.
The first time I went through security, I showed them the tablets (in the original packaging with patient leaflet). The guy at security said that was ok, they're only ever interested in seeing liquid medication.

After that, I have never mentioned them and have never been asked, even after the scanner.
I took the pills on the flight once, no-one raised an eyelid!

Shady Dave -

What do other people do?

The HIV nurse at my clinic said to just switch to taking them at the local time. She said that none of her patients had ever had a problem doing that.

Mark B

I know that the ban on travel to the US has supposedly been lifted, but is there any indication that HIV meds are no longer an issue going through immigration? Or, to put it another way, has the paperwork caught up with the policies yet? I ask because I may have to travel there in April.

I'd be interested to know the answer to this too, as I will have to travel to the US soon. The last few times I've been was pre-med days.
07/2009 - Diagnosis
08/2009 - CD4 354 / VL 4700
09/2009 - CD4 286 / VL 3200
10/2009 - CD4 249 / VL n/a - Started Truvada / Sustiva
12/2009 - CD4 318 / VL <40
01/2010 - CD4 316 / VL <40 - Switched Atripla
04/2010 - CD4 370 / VL <40
12/2010 - CD4 342 / VL <40

Offline azprince

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 12:45:54 pm »

"This person is on the following medication which is essential for their health.  Please contact this clinic for any further queries."

This is a good idea, if anything comes up then you can show the letter, I guess in the case of having this letter then you can put the Meds anywhere and you will have an explanation to why you have them
I have to admit : the good thing is that from now on;  I have no option but to succeed , still its ok to worry :))

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.