Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 09:23:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 174
Total: 174

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Numbers Game...  (Read 6147 times)

Offline ultimatum2000

The Numbers Game...
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:46:17 pm »
So, I've been reading these forums for months and I've yet to chime in and say anything.  They have been very helpful though, thanks to everyone that's on here!   ;D  I know that numbers and labs bounce around all the time depending on the person, but man do they always vary that much? lol  I know for a fact that I was negative in 2006 and later in 2007 my numbers are already down to what they are in my signature.  My doctor tells me I must have been infected for a lot longer than that, but I just laugh at him (he's actually a really cool guy) and tell him I know I wasn't because I tested neg. 

Has anyone else experienced a drop like this?  It just seems kinda funny to me because I'm very healthy, taken vitamins and worked out 5 days a weeks ever since I was 21.  Apparantly, the virus doesn't care about that, lol.  Ah, well, I suppose it's a good thing that I'm not taking meds quite yet.  I just keep thinking, in the back of my mind, that I could be taking meds within a year.  Does that seem wierd to anyone that I could be taking meds within 2-3 years after being infected??  I really am an optimistic person but I wanted to see if anyone else is in my situation.. 
2006        Oops...
4/2007     Pos     
6/2007     450     289,000    26.5%
9/2007     493     359,000    16%
1/2008     471     88,000      14%

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: The Numbers Game...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:14:42 pm »
Babe,

We all progress at our own rate and it's not uncommon for the newly infected to have a crash in their numbers early on in the piece. It may well be that your numbers will shoot back up all on their own as your infection stabilises.

It's not commonly understood that the immune system mounts a pretty strong response to HIV in the first year or so and gives the virus a bit of a run for it's money. Unfortunately, given the cell HIV targets (the CD4 cell) this response cannot be sustained and eventually the virus will win.

There is no cut and dried point at when a body should start medication. Many people go for 10 or more years before they need medications, others hit that wall sooner. I myself was infected sometime in 2000 or 2001, was diagnosed in May 2002 and by April 2003, I had a glittering diagnosis of AIDS and was on medications.

Your mileage may vary. Oh, and welcome to the Forums.

MtD

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:19:05 pm »
Your numbers require more than just the percentage and the CD4 count. The percentage you are showing is very low, however the CD4 count is acceptable. So this is where you have to look at the other numbers, like the CD3/CD8 percentage, the WBC, and other counts that may explain why your percentage is low.

Your doctor should be knowledgeable in this area and if he thinks that you're okay not going on meds for now, then be it, but I would question him on those numbers, and how he is making a decision based on them.

I have been infected in Feb 2007 and I'm starting meds soon. How people react to the infection is unique and some people will need to go on meds after year, where some others will be fine for more years.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline beachdude2003

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 03:25:45 pm »
I tested neg in August of 07 and poz. in December of that same year, so I know that I am newley infected.  My first lab work came back last week with a 694 cd4 count.  My viral load still hasn't come back yet.  I did a genotype and phenotype at my first appointment per my request. I have been doing some research that suggest that if you are newly infected, that starting meds sooner may be better.  There is no long term research but they do know that starting at 350 is better or has better results than starting at 200.  I will probably start atripla at the end of the month.
Best of luck to you, R

Offline Bicepguy

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 02:00:45 pm »
I wont repeat the wise words already said.

The virus does care about working out/staying healthy.  And bare in mind that CD4 changes a great deal every day. It will be depleted by working out, by fighting infections like colds, and by partying hard.  So aim to have your bloods after some rest, with no cold and worry about the trend, not the lows/highs.  I mean the statistical trend - draw a straight line through the various lows and highs and see where it leads.

Starting meds at CD4 of 350 is  the way to go now - it will help increase your rebound figure - the new normal level once the drugs work and you regain immune function.

The % is  low and you should be asking your Dr his/her opinion about that. It may be a blip but do get it checked again in a month.

One of the key issues in starting "earlier" than the older days when a CD4 of 250 was the starting point, is the relatively easier pill burden and better tolerated mix of anti HIV drugs, which means adherence is better and less likely to allow replication/mutation.  Taking one or two pills, just once a day is a very easy task compared to the terrible mix of times/pills/food and side effects our earlier fellow HIVers suffered.

Co-infected HIV/HepC Geno 4. HIV HAART = Truvada/Sustiva, <50 VL, CD4 350-450, 30%.  Vast HCV V before starting Peg Interferon/Ribavarin Nov 2007 - zero VL after weeks.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.