Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:11:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 635
Total: 636

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dammaged Goods - I Think Not!  (Read 4800 times)

Offline HopeandCope

• Hope and Cope
Dammaged Goods - I Think Not!
« on: October 07, 2008, 05:16:12 pm »
Some of you may have visited my Hope and Cope Blog that was set up to help Parents and Loved Ones of Poz people.  One of my guest bloggers wrote the following post that I found very powerful.  I hope you can find a slice of time to visit her site and offer encouragement by commenting on her site about her chronicling her journey with her Poz Love.  Her site is Where Do We Go From Here?  http://magneticlearningcurve.blogspot.com/

Damaged Goods - I Think Not!

Watching D struggle with his self image since finding out that he is HIV positive has been one of the hardest challenges for me. He is angry at himself for having engaged in behaviors that put him where he is. He views himself as tainted. Damaged goods. Unlovable and not worth the effort. He no longer sees himself as a valuable partner.

He is having a hard time accepting that to the people that love him his HIV status in no way diminishes his value. I know that in time he will overcome these feelings and regain his sense of self worth, but for now it tears me apart to watch him be so hard on himself. I understand that no matter what I tell him, until he realizes it on his own, nothing I say can convince him that having HIV does absolutely nothing to change how important he is to me.

I feel helpless and frustrated at my inability to convince him of how amazing he still is. Whenever he says something negative about himself I feel sad and angry that HIV colors his opinion of himself so darkly that he can't see the himself like others do. It would be so much easier if it worked so that I could just say "You are in no way less of a person. You are still every bit as amazing as you always have been, and even with HIV you still have more to offer than most." and have it change how he feels about himself. But it doesn't work that way, and I have to accept that.

All I can do is be patient and do my best to show him and remind him just how special I think he is. And I never let the opportunity to do so pass. He simply IS amazing, and every fiber of his being shows it to those around him, so I do my best to reflect that back to him.

Every time I laugh until I nearly pee my pants because he is so funny I remind him that HIV has not damaged his sense of humor. Every time I sit back with a full belly from a delicious meal he has cooked I remind him that HIV has not damaged his ability to nurture. I every time his tenderness quiets my tears I remind him that HIV has not damaged his ability to comfort. Every time his smile makes me smile I remind him that HIV has not damaged his ability to bring happiness to someone else. I try in every way possible to remind him that HIV has not damaged any of the things that make him the precious and unique individual that he is. HIV may have the ability to damage the cells of his body, but the things that make him such a great person and partner are untouchable.

At the end of each day when he tells me about how work was I tell him how great he is at his job. When he practices dancing I notice and comment on how much improvement he has made. I make sure to tell him how attractive I think he is, and that since he has started taking better care of himself by eating better and exercising more he has only improved his appearance. I thank him for every little thing he does for me so that he hears how much I appreciate him. I tell him just how much I enjoy his company. At the store I buy his favorite treats so that he knows I am thinking about him. I make sure to give him as much affection as he can handle, never missing the opportunity to rub his back or hold his hand.

For now he still has a hard time accepting it all. He often asks why I am so good to him or why I bother with him and I always tell him that he deserves every bit of sweetness I can muster, and I would give him better if I could. He may not get it yet, but I know that if I keep showing him how special and important he is to me, reflecting what an amazing of a person he is, than one day he will start to believe again and regain his sense of value.He may think that HIV has spoiled him, made him into damaged goods and lessened his value, but not if you ask me. He may think that since contracting HIV he is no longer lovable, valuable, sexy, wanted, or worthy but I will do everything it takes to show him otherwise until he changes his mind.

God Love Her!!

Jude
Jude
Hope and Cope Support Site
A Safe Place for Families & Friends of HIV+ People
http://hopeandcope.blogspot.com/

Offline hotpuppy

Re: Dammaged Goods - I Think Not!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 04:04:10 pm »
Your son is lucky to have family that cares so much!  I'm fortunate that my mother didn't skip a beat.  Other than having to be told HIV and AIDS were two different diagnosis.

One thing that is annoying sometimes is when people try to keyhole HIV with regards to life.  The thing I like best is when I have to remind my friends that I have HIV, and not the other way around.

For example, I might tell them about how I'm using liquid eggs (break-free from Kroger or Egg-Beaters whole egg) and how much more convenient they are.  And tell them how it's good that they are pasteurized.... at which point one friend asked why that mattered.  I simply reminded him my "pets" would really enjoy playing with Salmonella and Friends.  He stopped for a second and asked me what the heck I was referring to.... I reminded him I'm poz.  He went, "oh, I had forgotten."  That's a golden moment.... considering that this friend is a germ-a-phobe. 

HIV is like a tattoo on the behind for me.  Sure I have it, but not everyone needs to know.  I don't spend my day thinking about my behind either.  lol.  Actually I spend my time thinking about some other guy's behind most of the time.... alas I digress.  Hopefully you get my point.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline HopeandCope

• Hope and Cope
Re: Dammaged Goods - I Think Not!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:03:47 pm »
Hey Puppy!!!  Good to see you here and yes I get what you are saying.
Jude
Hope and Cope Support Site
A Safe Place for Families & Friends of HIV+ People
http://hopeandcope.blogspot.com/

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.