Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 09:18:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 163
Total: 163

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oral HSV2 and HIV?  (Read 11692 times)

Offline united1

Oral HSV2 and HIV?
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:15:07 pm »
Hi to all and well done for the work you do on this forum!

I'll cut to the chase; performed cunnilingus on sex worker. 8-10 days later, had strong symptoms of what seemed like herpes on lips, burning, tingling, itchy etc but no actual blisters. Doctor at the GUM clinic, to be fair, didn't have a good chance to diagnose as by the time i got to see her a few days later my lips just seemed heavily chapped. At this point (12 days after contact), i was HIV tested; understandably negative.

Didn't think about HIV at all until i started to suffer other symptoms (won't go into them as you see it all the time!) Now i have oral thrush confirmed and treated unsuccessfully with Nystatin (back to the doctors tomorrow!) This has me concerned; i know you usually state cunnilingus as very very low risk (more like zero) but if i did indeed contract HSV2 from this encounter what kind of chance is there i acquired HIV too?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this; any comments would be greatly appreciated. Will get tested on May 3rd (three months) but until then the power of symptoms has me pretty convinced and terrified!

Cheers.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Oral HSV2 and HIV?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:31:47 pm »
The risk for getting HIV from giving oral to a woman is strictly theoretical. Your mind is going wild on this one,  all to no purpose well grounded in HIV science. You should discuss your symptoms with a doctor.

You aren't going to make history by becoming the first to become infected in this manner. Read our lesson on transmission and get the real deal. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section

This time you were not at risk and there's no need for testing. We do recommend that anyone who's sexually active ought to have full STD panel done regularly. Annually is good and every six months is even better.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline united1

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 03:33:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply Andy, and for your work on the forum.

Theres a lot of stuff on other sites talking about the enhanced risk with genital sores/diseases but theres just so little certainty when it comes to oral on women.

Thanks once again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 04:40:14 pm »
You're welcome. Glad you found help here. I would also urge you to NOT surf the net any further. Too often readers just find (mis)information that unnecessarily feeds their worst fears.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline united1

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 02:48:51 pm »
Hey all!

I've got to be honest, i'm still really concerned. The symptoms i have experienced are stacking up against me and although i've been told i'm at very little risk i can't see past them.

I understand that they are notoriously unreliable as HIV indicators, but that doesn't stop me worrying, especially since they are really unusual! This, added to the possible HSV2 makes me feel HIV is a likely cause.

If i was to contract HIV from this, would it really be against the odds?

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 03:19:43 pm »
Uni-

The utter dearth of HIV among the Lesbian population should reassure you. Munching carpet is simply not a vector of transmission.

Good luck with the HSV2.

Brent
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline united1

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 04:20:53 pm »
Thanks for the reply Bucko, it's good to hear that.

Stay well.

Offline united1

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 07:40:48 am »
I'm rather confused guys. I've read and re-read (oh dear, making myself sound very obsessive) the Transmission lesson pertaining to my situation; it states there have been cases of transmission through cunnilingus. So when Andy says that i'm not going to make history by being the first to be infected this way, is he suggesting that he doesn't trust the cases mentioned in the lesson or simply that they don't count as proof that transmission can happen that way?

Also, is there seriously no need to test over this situation? I will add that i believe totally in the effectiveness of condoms and that this is the only situation in which i would have had a real risk.

Thanks to everyone who's even read this!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 08:18:56 am »
united,

The one or two cases where cunnilingus was thought to have been the source of an hiv infection were discredited when additional information concerning the patients' sex life and drug usage came to light. Cunnilingus is not a route for hiv transmission.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 08:21:47 am »
United, you're right. In the lesson it does mention 2 (!) cases which were attributed to giving oral to a woman. However, it also mentions that other elements of unsafe sex were not eliminated as a possible source of transmission.

Given how common a sexual activity it is I still say we're talking more theoretical than actual in terms of risk. Could it happen. Theoretically yes, if certain factors come together. But in the real world of HIV experience it just doesn't seem to happen.

And I would not consider this an incident over which testing would be specifically indicated. We do in general recommend that anyone who's sexually active get tested regularly with a full STD panel. That means at least annually and every six months is even better.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline united1

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 08:37:52 am »
Thanks Andy, Ann.

I'm going to test anyway (at a guess i'd say you probably knew that!) but that is in no way a reflection on your responses, just my personal concerns about symptoms etc. I place great store in your views.

Thanks for taking the time.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 09:08:12 am »
united,

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs. As you say you will test regardless, why not get a full check-up and consider it the start of your routine sexual health care program. It's what responsible adults do.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

I'm fully expecting you to test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline united1

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 09:26:58 am »
Thankyou Ann and all who have responded.

I wish you all the best and thanks again for taking the time to read and respond.

Cheers

Chris

Offline united1

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 08:35:51 am »
I'm sorry to be back!

I've tried not to worry about this, but i'm only human i suppose.

The evidence linking herpes with HIV is clear and this mixed with several potential (and strong) HIV symptoms has me concerned. Does anybody on this forum know of any specific information about HSV/HIV co-infection and oral sex/cunnilingus? I'm pretty comfortable, based on what i've read and been told here, with cunnilingus being low risk in ordinary circumstances. But what about in the presence of genital herpes; wouldn't that make it a much higher risk?

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 09:48:04 am »
Do you  have HSV2 of the mouth or are you guessing? If you didn't have HSV2 of the mouth before you went down on a woman then you don't have to worry about an increase chance of contracting HIV. You don't get HIV from preforming cunnilingus.

Offline united1

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 10:19:14 am »
Thanks Rod

I don't have a confirmed diagnosis of HSV so i must admit you're totally right when you say i'm guessing (educated guess though!), but the signs and symptoms were severe and accompanied by fever, crazy tingling etc before my lips just burned like mad. No blisters or anything, but my lips cracked up all over and then healed (sorry to get graphic!)

I had never experienced anything like that before (it started 8 or so days after the event and fully healed in just under a week) so i can only assume it was down to this exposure.

Therefore, my worry is could i contract HIV from the same exposure? I'm starting to believe that it's happened; i believe that cunnilingus is no real risk under normal circumstances but i'm not so sure what variables genital herpes brings to the situation.

Offline united1

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 01:05:08 pm »
I suppose i'm particularly concerned that if i have contracted HSV, it would most likely be through active outbreak. Wouldn't this make cunnilingus a much riskier act regarding HIV? I grant you it'd be pretty unlucky, but more likely than standard cunnilingus.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 03:39:07 pm »
united,

When we say that cunnilingus isn't a risk, that's exactly what we mean. We don't add any ands ifs or buts. It's not an hiv risk, period.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline united1

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 03:52:04 pm »
Thats great to hear.

Thanks for clearing that Ann, i really wasn't sure if it made a difference. I've been reading your blogs; like all blogs on this site, they're amazing.

RapidRod, you're a legend!!! I appreciate the way you tell it.

Many thanks

Offline united1

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 02:08:08 pm »
Hey all.

Im so scared, i know you say to ignore symptoms but can they be so strong at the start of HIV? Eight weeks on and my mouth is so full of sores its not funny, swollen nodes that ache, added to the oral thrush there can't be any doubt its HIV surely. I spend so much time crying, i can't cope and the people i love are helpless and in the dark about it all.  I'm a grown man but i can't face up to this dawning reality; i know you can't help with the mental damage caused by HIV but i just don't have anyone else to even tell my fears to.

One of the more stupid things that i think of is whether, if (when!) i do get my result would you guys even believe me, given my risk! I know that sounds really stupid, but you sound so convinced it won't happen while i am convinced it has! And if it really has, this forum may be one of the only things i have left.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 04:19:56 pm »
There will be nothing other to believe, than the negative result you are going to get.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 05:01:21 pm »
You aren't going to get anything but a negative result. Really.

But anyone who ever gets a positive result always knows they can come here. So you can scratch that off of your worry list. It seems full enough already without your mind throwing that one in too.

We await your negative result. With certainty.
Andy Velez

Offline united1

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 05:14:55 pm »
Thanks Rod. Like i said before, got nothing but respect for the way you tell it.

It may not seem like it all the time, but members responses mean a lot to all on this forum. Thanks from all of us.

Oh and Andy, since you crept in with a post too, IF my result were positive i already know i'd feel proud of this online community; i'm pretty much in awe of the voices here. Sorry if this post seems a bit gooey, but i'm totally serious about that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 07:30:55 pm »
united,

While you didn't have an hiv risk, you DO need to see your doctor or dentist to find out what is going on with your mouth. It could be stress, or it could be something else. Whatever it is, it is NOT hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline united1

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 03:21:59 am »
Thanks Ann. Visiting my dentist today to try to get to the bottom of it.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.