Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:45:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 345
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Security Threat on computer  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Texan38

Security Threat on computer
« on: February 15, 2009, 07:31:21 pm »
Has anyone else received this 'Security Threat' on their computer or have any advise on it? This suddenly popped up and a screen came up to erase all threats, when I pressed that button I received another screen to 'Run', 'Save' or 'Cancel' with a sentence stating that if I do not trust the program, do not 'Run' nor 'Save'. All the while, 'Security Threat' kept flashing in the background with a comment that a virus was infecting my computer. I kept pressing 'Cancel' and close. Everything went away. The Norton button still green with a check mark. No problems, well, at least nothing states there's a problem.
Now I'm freaking out. Has anyone else come across something like this?
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Basquo

Re: Security Threat on computer
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 07:53:43 pm »
Don't run anything.  Your security should be catching threats, not some random screen. I recently learned the hard way ($220) that Norton is the WalMart of security.  I now have AVG which was installed free (except for the $220 damage) by the shop that saved my computer. If you're getting popups like that, and Norton says it's A-OK, you may want to switch security.  I kept putting it off, and it cost me. I got something so bad it shut down Norton and shut down yahoo and finally shut down my operating system. I couldn't even turn off the machine; I had to disconnect the power and take out the battery. For now, don't "run" anything.  Close out and log out.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:00:30 pm »
during some of the daylight hours, leatherman is known as the "ComputerTutor"
http://reigningpages.com/computertutor (sorry, I'm only local in the Canton, Ohio area)

for the best general protection for your windows computer:
(though I would suggest, Tex, since it sounds like you've been hit with some spyware, that you do steps 3 and 4 then 1 and 2 ;) )

1) uninstall whatever antivirus program you have and reboot
2) download AntiVir and install
   though you'll have to click OK to a popup everytime this program updates, it's the best one I've found (and I've tried them all LOL) and it's free, as are the next two programs you should install and use.
3) next download, install and run Ad-Aware  after it's installation and first scan, let it clear any errors or problems.
4) finally download, install and run SpyBot after it's installation, first click the Immunize button; afterwards let it scan and clear any errors or problems.

once a month, run Ad-Aware then SpyBot. Remember to update them before running the scans and to re-Immunize SpyBot (that should help stop your current kind of problem from happening again). Let the programs clear any errors or problems. Then enjoy your surfing until next month's scans. If you still have problems then perhaps HijackThis can help you resolve the remaining issues.

Hope that helps you out. ;) It'll take a while to install, scan and clear your computer (an hour or two with about 3 or 4 reboots) but it'll be worth it.  ;D

mikie/leatherman/computertutor
(if anyone has any disagreements with my recommendations, please feel free to IM so that I can provide you my fulls reasons for each of these programs. Just remember, people have paid me for this advice and never had another problem. ;) )
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Grinch

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:03:48 pm »
There is a current attack floating around that mimics a Windows virus scan.  It can be hidden in a script lurking inside an image file.  I recently had one slip by and get on to a forum I run.  The image file was masquerading as a period in a sentence.

Clicking the "button" can deliver malware to your system.
Assuming you're running Firefox and NoScript  it's quite probable you are uninfected.  If not run AVG with the latest virus definition.

Offline Texan38

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 07:27:11 am »
Thank You guys soo much! I appreciate your information. I don't think I can go through my computer getting another virus again. It's such an expensive pain in the ass! Thanks again!  :-*
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 08:27:17 am »
Hello,

You might also want to try looking at this forum. It has saved me plenty of times..

http://forum.worldstart.com/index.php

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Texan38

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:36:45 pm »
Ray,

What a great, informative and helpful forum...thanks for sharing! 
~ Lauren Bacall

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.