Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:15:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 531
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 509
Total: 510

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sculptra rec., problem with nodules  (Read 14738 times)

Offline tuckerbob

Sculptra rec., problem with nodules
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:30:47 am »
Two questions for everyone:

1) I'm looking for a lipoatrophy/sculptra experienced dermatologist in DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia or NYC. Any recommendations would be wonderful.

2) My last sculptra treatment has caused two hard, pea-sized nodules. They didn't show initially, but as the treatment effect wears off, they are now. The dermatologist that did the injections, Dr. Martins, does not want to remove them. Does anyone have experience with removal of these nodules?

I had my first Sculptra treatments in SF by Dr. Echavez. He was careful, conservative, and it took many injections. No nodules developed. With the next treatment in Baltimore, Dr. Martins injected a very large volume all at once, and I ended up with the hard nodules and an overall lumpy look as the treatment fades.

Really appreciate any insight you all might have.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Sculptra rec., problem with nodules
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:51:02 am »
I live in Philadelphia and have sculptra injections done by Dr. Robert Winn, Medical Director of the Mazzoni Center:

http://mazzonicenter.org/content/robert-winn-md-medical-director

He's very experienced with sculptra, and I think he's the most seen doctor for this procedure locally. As far as your "nodule" issue I can't really comment.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:51:26 pm »
You may also consider Dr. Michael Olding in Washington, DC:

http://www.gwdocs.com/cosmetic-surgery-center/michael-olding

He is board certified and very good.

I don't have information for correcting nodules that have already formed.

However, following your injections, the doctor should instruct you to deeply and vigorously massage the injection site for a specified period of to even out the filler and lessen the possibility for the formulation of lumps and bumps.

I also held a plastic glove filled with ice at the injection site(s) for a while to help reduce swelling.

The above worked very well for me.

I hope this helps.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline DavidinCA92284

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 11:34:29 pm »
I had my first injections done about 10 years ago and am going next week to a new plastic surgeon to discuss Sculptra and correcting what appears to be one or two under my eyes.  Of course they could be something else, but it will be interesting to see what an expert down here in Southern CA says. 

One in particular seems to get worse if I sleep on it in a certain position over night.  It gets bigger - like dime size - kinda puffy like and then diminishes over time.  I've tried hot water, heat, tea bags, ice all kinds of things.   The problem with one of the spots is that it feels like a little pebble attached to the bone (eye socket).

I went to the Urgent Care and they classified it as a possible lipoma.

Offline klipsch

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 10:04:07 am »
When I first started treatments back in January of 2005, I ended up with more nodules than I can even remember. But I do remember it feeling like I had a line of BB's under one eye. At that time...I was freaking out and wondered if I was better off before the Sculptra? Over the years, the nodules that were there disappeared and my doctor's technique has become nothing short of amazing (I just had another session last week).
I don't know about any doctors in your area...but I'd suggest using one that has quite a bit of experience using Sculptra as a filler
when shit has value...the poor will be born without assholes...

Offline Scaredandhiding

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 02:51:27 pm »
I writing on behalf of a friend. Almost two years ago I talked my friend into getting Sculptra treatments. He doesn't work and has been trying to get on Social Security for almost 3 years. When he first became ill in 1994 he was put on SS right away, but then then because of the HIV drugs he got better and chose to go back to work. He was working a full time job as a manager of a store. After several years of working 60 to 70 hour weeks and because of the HIV drugs he had to have heart surgery in 2008 and his health went down. Doctors put him on a strict diet and that's when he started his wasting syndrome. He then became a closet case and would not leave his house or have any kind of life. I did manage to get him some help and he had two treatments of the Sculptra. Since he had no money I managed to save up enough money to pay for the two treatments at $500.00 each session. Well I paid for one and a half sessions.... I still owe the doctor $250.00 and I can't afford to pay him because I broke my back and lost my job. Even though my friend only had two treatments, we could both see a huge difference in his face. But now almost two years have passed and he's in need of more treatments. I can't afford to do anything for him and it breaks my heart to see him hiding in his mothers home ashamed to leave his house for even a simple walk. He has secluded himself from all and any friends again. Can anyone please tell me how I can get him some help? We have no money, but I could come up with a couple hundred dollars in time. I hate seeing this wonderful person "Scared and Hiding" so that no one will see him....again it just breaks my heart. He is a very good looking blond with blue eye's that looks so wonderful when he gets the Sculptra treatments. He's so deserving to be with someone and share his life with someone. It would truly break your hearts also to see him live as he does. Please I'm begging with all my heart for some help for him. We live in Daytona Beach Florida, 32118 if you can help in anyway please let me know I am desperate for him. runcut@live.com

Sharon  :'(

Offline DavidinCA92284

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:55:13 pm »
ScaredandHiding - one of the things my new Plastic Surgeon said about Scupltra is that after a few years, one needs to get additional filler.  So, this is an ongoing, life-long situation that every few years one either has to come up with money, or find someway to finance it through either their insurance or by investigating Plastic Surgeons that can offer a discounted rate.   It can be expensive, actually more expensive than you've quoted - depending upon the number of visits or by the number of filler injection tubes required.

In my particular case, whereas I've been having lipoatrophy problems for at least 10 years, it isn't fun knowing that how I look to others isn't what I'd like to present to the world.  But in reality, one has to change their psychological outlook and say to themselves it doesn't matter what other people think about me.  It's none of my business.   Of course we are depressed having lossed our looks . . . especially when it comes to lipoatrophy when the fat loss is not only about the face, but the legs and butt as well.  Nothing fits right when buying clothes off the shelf and it certainly doesn't help when some stranger thinks something's wrong healthwise.

But even with the depression, that it impacts our wants to socialize and feel good, we have to feel good about something.  That something is that it actually could be worse!    I often watch shows on TV about Burn victims or those women that have had acid thrown in their face from an angry lover . . . and it makes me think.  It makes me cry that I'm sitting here with actually very good skin, nice complexion, that on a good day someone would think that I'm old.  That's it.  Old.    Is that such a bad thing?

So I actually feel greatful for the fact that my Plastic Surgeon says that I'm a good candidate for the filler and that I have good bone structure (of course what else is he going tos say - I'm ugly?)  But anyway . . . I'm sorry about the financial mess and I can hardly pay my bills, but sometimes there are organizations that help pay or defer cost for these procedures . . . just have to look around.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.