Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:45:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 229
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Diet Soda Linked to Depression...  (Read 24338 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Diet Soda Linked to Depression...
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:56:37 pm »
This news was reported a few weeks ago. I find it intriguing.

I drink diet soda (along with bottled water, fruit drinks, chocolate and tea) and don't see a pronounced depresson although I have a few down moments as most people do.

Links:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/254705.php

http://vsearch.nlm.nih.gov/vivisimo/cgi-bin/query-meta?query=diet+soda+and+depression&v%3Aproject=nlm-main-website

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/03/14/diet-coke-and-depression/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:06:13 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Diet Soda Linked to Depression...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:28:36 pm »
I bet your diet soda-induced depression caused you to neglect your flu shot this year. THINK ABOUT IT.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:15:35 am »
I saw this in the news.  They all said diet, but this article says regular and diet.  I drink too much Diet Dr. Pepper.  I've had depression that pre-dates the switch to diet.  But, again, it says both.  The only thing I've noticed is that I've gained weight on diet.  I was very fit when drinking regular.  I rarely craved other sweets.  Switched to diet and I do crave sweets. 

But, I switched at the time I was turning 30, when the metabolism is slowing down and you can't consume 3,000 calories a day and still look gorgeous.  And, depression has caused me to not be as active.

I think it is probably that people who are depressed are more likely to drink soda, as the article points out.  I know my very type A personality friends rarely drink soda.  They drink a lot of alcohol, though.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:26:10 am »
My new theme is to drink hot water with juice from half a lemon. Yolanda Foster is very obsessed with this.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:20:38 am »
1)  Do depresssed people want sweet drinks more than non-depressed people? Does depression encourage people to drink sweet?

2)  Or, do the sweet drinks perhaps contribute to depression.

My nutrition professor told us that artificial sweeteners were not good. Maybe not cancerous, but causing havoc in the body's regulation, not to mention cravings. 
This is related to the article posted, on aspartame and depression. 
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/03/14/diet-coke-and-depression/
So, it just seems unwise all around to consume 0-calorie sweeteners.  I would say avoid the artificial sweeteners unless they are used because of diabetes, and such. 

(And that was the 80's. She said the worst food in the US was fake fat - hydrogenated - and fake sugar.)

Mixing sugar and fake sugar into the same research seems to be odd design.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/254705.php

4 cans of soda or juice a day??  Maybe fast growing teenagers could manage that. Most people cannot.  Though there are outliers - people who stay thin and healthy despite high sugar intake.  I know a few. Fine, lucky them.

So many empty calories on a daily routine basis, from "real" sugar. 
Why not enjoy a cake or pastry or chocolate if you want sugar.  At least chocolate has benefits. Or a sugary coffee.  Ice cream, cookies, cakes, etc, at least is food and has nutrients.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:26:25 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:11 am »
It's much harder to avoid artificial sweeteners than you think, it's not just in the obvious culprits. Evidently it's also in benign items like hamburger buns. I've been planning on reading "Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease" by Dr. Robert Lustig. There's an hour-plus clip on youtube called "“Sugar: The Bitter Truth" that he's known for.

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:18:53 am »
I bet your diet soda-induced depression caused you to neglect your flu shot this year. THINK ABOUT IT.

Ms. P., Ms. P., Ms. P....Now I woke up this morning feeling all refreshed and smiley faced. Brushed my teeth, flossed said teeth and gargled, showered, put on some comfort wear, drank some hot tea, skipped down the hall, logged onto the PC and came to the Boards here. I then skimmed the "chat abouts" and came to this thread I started yesterday and your comment.

Honey Suckle Rose, you just will not let that dew drop, won't you?  :) I drank diet soda for over 20 years, always got a flu shot and have never been knocked off my my feet sick with the flu.

Nonetheless, I restate that I do find it intriguing about diet soda and the link to depression.  So, the oversized sweet drinks (a la New York City Bloomberg) are getting banned from public consumption and now the artificial sweetened ones are due for review. Can bottled water (the plastic!!) versus tap be far behind?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:07:07 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 11:03:10 am »
I used to only drink water , coffee or tea but now I drink at least 3 diet cokes a day . Its a bad habit in my opinion . My best buds are probably the most hydrated men in America , they are never without a soda in hand , never . My friend Tim drinks about a 12 pack of regular mountain dew a day and his bf drinks a couple of liters of diet soda a day . I'm convinced some of the health problems they have are linked to the soda's they swill everyday . Tim drinks all that caffeine and sugar and takes about 3 goody powders a day and bitches about headaches constantly . Its frightening how much of what passes for nutrition comes out of a can these days .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:26 am »
My new theme is to drink hot water with juice from half a lemon. Yolanda Foster is very obsessed with this.

I've been doing that for years now first thing in the morning - I find it's a good way to clear the mind and palate before going on to coffee or tea.

I also drink lots of water (tap water, it's very good where I live) and have lately been putting a slice of lemon in that as well. It tastes good, and it keeps my cats from trying to drink out of my glass (they hate lemon). They always have two full bowls of fresh water available, but they seem to think it tastes MUCH better coming out of mum's glass.

I rarely drink soda, and never diet soda. I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners, particularly the after-taste they always seem to leave. After reading these reports, I'm glad.

About the only soda I do drink these days is (non-diet) ginger ale (Canadian Club, natch) when I'm feeling nauseous and it does help. I have the odd Pepsi when I'm feeling wild and crazy. ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 12:04:58 pm »
I drink a lot of water (filtered tap, courtesy of the Delaware River watershed), and otherwise coffee or tea (no sugar in either). I do have a soda from time to time, but I never buy those giant 2 liter thingies. But more often it's something like DRY blood orange soda, or the generic form of this at Wegman's called frizzante. Actually DRY makes a lot of tasty flavors: rhubarb, cucumber, juniper berry -- expensive so it's just a rare treat. Or good to add in some vodka :) I like those little Pellegrino sodas too -- they have a blood orange one called "Aranciata Rossa" now. They also have something called "Sanbitter" if you like the flavor of Campari.

Oh, and I'm a huge fan of Jarritos, the Mexican line of flavored soda -- and they use cane sugar not HFC. They have great flavors like tamarind, guava and mango.

Now if only I could locate passion fruit soda my life would be complete. But again, I view these items as treats and usually only buy one at a time, so maybe one a week.

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:11:22 pm »
It's much harder to avoid artificial sweeteners than you think, it's not just in the obvious culprits. Evidently it's also in benign items like hamburger buns. I've been planning on reading "Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease" by Dr. Robert Lustig. There's an hour-plus clip on youtube called "“Sugar: The Bitter Truth" that he's known for.

I had my fits of food fanaticism when I was younger.   Cut out all sugar, and when you go back to it, you certainly can taste how everything is sweetened.  The same thing with salt. The same thing with dairy fat.   I was vegan for almost a year and when I stopped the insanity, a glass of whole mike tasted like the richest most delicious ice cream sundae of all time.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 01:20:18 pm »
Lots of sodas are worth their calories as a treat, I agree.
Just not 4 a day.
All the Italian bitters and colas. Tonic.
All real root beers and ginger beers.
(Did you have "sasparilla" growing up, or sarsaparilla, or "birch beer"? I think they are all different concoctions, in fact.)
Coke and Pepsi are both delicious but I prefer bitter-sweet.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 09:28:46 pm »
One little tidbit that most people aren't even aware of..actually most mainstream sodas we drink today (coke, pepsi, etc) use HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) as their main sweetener. Therefore, we are not drinking our parents' soda! The soda companies only started using this in the mid-1980s, replacing cane sugar. It was done very stealthly, so most people didn't even notice. There is interesting evidence now that HFCS actually is worse than sugar as a sweetener, leading to diabetes and all the bad problems associated with too much soda consumption..More research is needed however..

Actually, although American Coke does not use pure sugar as it's sweetener, Mexican Coca Cola still uses cane sugar, which the American companies got rid of in the 80s due to some kind of higher cost of importing sugar or something. Mexican Coke, which is sold in the lovely classic glass bottles (which taste WAY better than nasty plastic & aluminum, not to mention is more environmentally friendly) is a hundred times better than American Coke! I'm a huge Coca Cola fan, and if you compare the two, it has a much cleaner, less syrupy finish. Also, sodas that use cane sugar as their sweetener leave you feeling satisfied after one, instead of wanting a second or third. Mexican Coke is available in most ethnic groceries, just look for the glass bottles! Ever since I started drinking it, it's much better than American Coke.

Interestingly, Coke's competitor, Pepsi, (which I do not care for), does sell a drink called Pepsi Throwback and Mountain Dew Throwback, in cans and plastic bottles with the cool retro packaging, which does use sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup as the sweetener. It is again, a much cleaner, less syrupy taste, like all soda pop in America tasted from the 1880s until the 1980s. Pepsi introduced it's retro, sugar-sweetened drinks a few years back, but they were so popular they now make them permanently. Hopefully Coca-Cola will follow suit.

Now I admit, our health problems in this country can't all be linked just to soda, but it is a part of the equation. I limit myself to one soda per day, and it just comes down to making good choices. But the fact that the major soda companies are now reviving real sugar as a sweetener instead of the nasty high fructose corn syrup is telling.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 09:34:36 pm »
There's a company located in northern New Jersey called Boylan that makes all of their soda with cane sugar. You can probably find it at Whole Foods. Their cola is excellent, but my favorite is the black cherry.

http://www.boylanbottling.com/

And that Jarritos I mentioned earlier also has a cola flavor.

http://www.jarritos.com/

That said, I'm not convinced that HFCS is so bad, it's more that people drink soda to such a much larger degree than they did 50 years ago. When I was growing up the only time we were allowed to drink it in the house was when we had spaghetti. I don't know why my mother came up with such an arbitrary rule but I can also attest that not a single family member was ever overweight either.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:37:12 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 01:50:40 am »
I buy into the HFCS panic to some degree.

Quantity of consumption of any sugar is surely an issue as well.

Its certainly true all sugar isn't the same! The standard white granulated sugar in Switzerland is beet sugar and it changes the taste and texture of home made goodies. 

One obvious reason we didn't drink a lot of soda back in the 60s and 70s was that it was so damned expensive. Beef was also expensive especially steak.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 06:26:17 pm »
I think soda consumption is a symptom of larger issues, but I do think more research needs to be done ASAP comparing the benefits of using pure sugar as the sweetener in sodas, (as was done from the 1880s until 1980s) to the high fructose corn syrup that has been used since. I think there is some evidence to suggest that the sodas with sugar as the sweetener make one fill full quicker, and therefore don't want another one right off the bat. You're right, not all sugar is created equal either. Beet sugar is different than cane sugar, which is what was used in American sodas.

To me, soda with cane sugar compared to HFCS regardless of the health effects, just tastes SO much better and cleaner! Not syrupy at all. But at the end of the day it comes down to personal responsibility, and maybe restrictions in schools for kids under 18. But adults should be allowed to make their own choices, good or bad.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 06:37:22 pm »
There was not soda available in public schools when I was in them. And I don't recall the existence of a 7-11 Big Gulp (atrocious in size) until the mid-80's. There's also a really massive difference in how often people eat out, fast food and non-fast food, previous to the 80's. You're only 30 years old so you don't have this perspective. And even fast food places back then didn't offer endless refills for soda. I think they only gave free refills on coffee, maybe iced tea.

I read a good article yesterday that I wish I still had the link to -- may have been on The Atlantic web site -- how the biggest difference in maintaining a healthy weight is doing a substantial amount of walking every day. American culture is so automobile centric in suburbia that most people do not do significant walking. I live in a city and don't own a car, so it's not unusual for me to walk 15 blocks running errands, and that equals ~1.5 miles, plus it's often carrying a bag or two.

Offline mecch

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 07:26:37 pm »
There was not soda available in public schools when I was in them. And I don't recall the existence of a 7-11 Big Gulp (atrocious in size) until the mid-80's. There's also a really massive difference in how often people eat out, fast food and non-fast food, previous to the 80's. You're only 30 years old so you don't have this perspective. And even fast food places back then didn't offer endless refills for soda. I think they only gave free refills on coffee, maybe iced tea.

I read a good article yesterday that I wish I still had the link to -- may have been on The Atlantic web site -- how the biggest difference in maintaining a healthy weight is doing a substantial amount of walking every day. American culture is so automobile centric in suburbia that most people do not do significant walking. I live in a city and don't own a car, so it's not unusual for me to walk 15 blocks running errands, and that equals ~1.5 miles, plus it's often carrying a bag or two.

Miss. P, your correct, if you follow the obesity rates with the over-reliance on the car culture, and lack of physical exercise, there's a huge link. This gets to the problem of urban sprawl, making things so that cars are the only viable way to get from a to b..I'd like to see many of the mid-size cities take a page out of NYC's page, make more public infrastructure, trolleys, pedways, essentially give people more options than just automobiles. Of course this is probably a long-term vision because of the debt and gridlock. I have spent much time in Chicago, and I have to say, after getting used to it, I loved city life, being able to walk everywhere I went. It was great.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 01:56:31 am »
I do remember when it was a big deal when restaurants began giving free refills.  You first had to give them your cup, but now they practically have the machine at reach from your table.  I also remember when 16oz was the large.  Now, that's medium. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 05:57:33 pm »
Ms P, Jarrito is huge where I live.  They are good, but of course I rarely drink them being diabetic.

I do drink diet soda, just one a day.  I don't find it makes me depressed, it does not cause me to crave sugar, and I doubt it's ruining my insides.  Any more than they're already tore up.

I do remember the time of not having soda in school and no free refills at the restaurants.   I know there was a little gas station down from my parents but it was not 7-11 and I do not remember there being a pop fountain.  Growing up I got to drink soda on Sunday night, one only, while watching whatever tv was on, maybe Disney?

I also drink a lot of water, and always put a slice of lemon in it.  It makes it better.  I have a Brita pitcher. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 05:04:54 am »

Growing up I got to drink soda on Sunday night, one only, while watching whatever tv was on, maybe Disney?

Yes! Disney on a Sunday night! I think Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was on either right before or right after it. I loved that show and remember being absolutely crushed when they had to start adding the disclaimer that some of the scenes were "created". I felt betrayed.

Pop was always a treat in my house growing up too - never more than once or twice a week. We favoured Pepsi. I liked Coke back in the day too, before they started screwing with the recipe and putting it in cans and plastic rather than glass bottles.

It was always an adventure for me when we went to the place where we bought our pop (and returned the glass bottles). It was a big garage-type warehouse and I was fascinated by the rows and rows of crates of glass pop bottles stacked way over my head. Of course looking back, the place was actually quite small and the stacks weren't that high, but it seemed that way to a five year old.

We used to get a strip of beef jerky (out of a big glass jar) for a treat every time we went to buy pop. My mother used to buy two bottles of beer for a treat for herself. She had a special glass that she used for her beer that we kids were forbidden to put milk or anything else in - she claimed it interfered with the head on her beer. I realised in later years she lied about that. She probably just liked that glass and didn't want one of us to break it for her.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 10:12:57 am »
I loved Sunday nights watching Disney and Mutual Of Omaha Wild Kingdom . It was the only time I remember my family doing something together that we all looked forward too . We got soda or hot chocolate and pop corn that was made in one of those hard to clean pop corn machines most family's owned back them .

I cant drink regular coke anymore and actually like the taste of diet coke much better . I think bourbon and diet coke rocks .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 10:54:14 am »
Our entire generation must have grown up with Sunday being the family day.  It was the one day of the week where everyone had to have dinner together and then watch Wild Kingdom followed by the Dysney movie of the week.

We got soda about once a month on pizza night.  It was such a huge treat to get a pizza and have a small glass of Pepsi.  Never a full bottle though. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 11:18:02 am »
When we were very young, we were only allowed to drink 7up while the adults drank Coke.
As we got a bit older, a Coke became a rare "treat".
Seems kinda funny now.

Another thing...
In Minnesota everyone called it "pop". When we heard people calling it "soda" we thought it sounded so old fashioned.
Then moved to Connecticut and it was the other way around.
(People here teased my for calling it pop) >:(

PS- Now I drink water. (and vodka) :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 12:15:18 pm »

Another thing...
In Minnesota everyone called it "pop". When we heard people calling it "soda" we thought it sounded so old fashioned.
Then moved to Connecticut and it was the other way around.
(People here teased my for calling it pop) >:(

Here's a handy guide next time you get confused and/or move elsewhere.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 04:29:34 pm »
Here's a handy guide next time you get confused and/or move elsewhere.
Sorry to have strayed off topic here but looking at your link, it appears that most southerners use the term "Coke" as a generic term for soda/pop???
THAT is just plain weird.
So they say, "I'm going to the store to get some coke" when they really were picking up root beer?
Does not compute. ???

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 04:36:05 pm »
Sorry to have strayed off topic here but looking at your link, it appears that most southerners use the term "Coke" as a generic term for soda/pop???
THAT is just plain weird.
So they say, "I'm going to the store to get some coke" when they really were picking up root beer?
Does not compute. ???

Its true and even us southerners laugh at ourselves when we do it . You ask a friend do you want a coke and the friend says yes and then you giggle and ask what kind do you want . It makes no sense and lots of us do it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 04:48:30 pm »
WoW!

Offline buginme2

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 04:53:15 pm »
We always called whatever it was "coke" and that was mostly when I was a kid living outside DC. 

I did notice the new campaign that Coke is doing aimed at obesity.  They are coming out with smaller can's and even in their commercial talk about moderation.  Good for them.

Nowadays the only time I have a coke is when I have a pizza delivered.  The restaurant we order from delivers Mexican Coke.  It still comes in the glass and is made from real sugar, not High Fructose Corn Syrup.  AND it tastes better.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 05:23:32 pm »
Mitchell, I always say "Do you want a Coke or something?" I grew up outside of DC as well. I think people think of the term as like saying something generic like "a cola" and then it applies to anything carbonated.

And this is awful of me to add in here, but if people are familiar with the history of Coke versus Pepsi as companies during Jim Crow days the map will make more sense. Pepsi's owner was very progressive, Coke's shoved money into the pockets of Southern segregationists. One made niche marketing to court black consumers, the other ignored them, etc.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 05:34:59 pm »
Mitchell, I always say "Do you want a Coke or something?" I grew up outside of DC as well. I think people think of the term as like saying something generic like "a cola" and then it applies to anything carbonated.

And this is awful of me to add in here, but if people are familiar with the history of Coke versus Pepsi as companies during Jim Crow days the map will make more sense. Pepsi's owner was very progressive, Coke's shoved money into the pockets of Southern segregationists. One made niche marketing to court black consumers, the other ignored them, etc.
you are a soda fountain full of historical backround info. :)
it is still silly. :)

ps- i can understand replacing Coke for cola like Kleenex for tissue but the rest is still weird.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:37:00 pm by mitch777 »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 05:42:35 pm »

I thought that, being the proper lady that you are, you always asked for a "cold pop."

More on the history of colas and race in the good ol' USA:  Mad Men and Black America.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »

More on the history of colas and race in the good ol' USA:  Mad Men and Black America.

What a sad state of affairs.

Offline mecch

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 06:02:32 pm »
The author says this:

Cooper is smart enough to be a coward. He knows what was true then and, sadly, is still true today. Will white consumers abandon a product once its brand is too black? Yes, they will. Will black consumers abandon a product once its brand is too black? Yes, not wanting to be stereotyped, they will. Even as multicultural image campaigns rightly lobby for more and better black representation in commercials, and as much as America now embraces the endorsement of certain black celebrities, the politically incorrect truth is that there’s a tipping point. The moment a product is “ghetto,” white consumers are gone—and then black consumers are gone, too.

Ok, maybe. But I wonder....  What recent product got too ghetto and lost sales.... Can someone give me an example of this from the last few years or so?

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 07:17:43 pm »
Growing up in East Tampa, a RC Cola was our favorite and we used the generic term soda.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:19:32 pm by OneTampa »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 07:20:26 am »

That's very interesting (and sad, I agree). I can guarantee that if my mother had been aware of this, we would have been a Coke family rather than a Pepsi family. My mother was a shamefully bigoted racist and I hated it from a very young age.

She used to call people "coloured" and I would ask her "what colour; blue? purple? orange? green?" She'd answer "you know damn well I'm talking about n*g*e*s". After a while she just started slapping or pinching me rather than answering with words (probably because of the disgusted face I'd make in response to her answer), so I quit asking. I couldn't have been more than six or seven at the time. Her attitudes to people really pissed me off.

For anyone who may be wondering, I grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio and we used the term "pop". When I moved to NYC, I started calling it "soda pop", but soon dropped the pop bit. Here in the British Isles, it's usually called "fizzy drinks".

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 08:17:41 pm »
Aside from what I consider the nasty taste of soda in plastic and cans compared to the old-school glass bottles, I wish all beverage manufacturers would totally ditch the plastic and cans for another important reason besides taste..environmental! Back in the day, I heard stories about how the milkmen would deliver milk to people's houses in the six-pack glass bottles every morning, the people would simply return the bottles afterwards, the company would sterilize them and clean them, and the process would begin over again. No nasty plastic or aluminum waste, which can seep into the soils and clog rivers and just make anything look trashy when not properly disposed of. I heard somewhere it takes thousands of years for some plastics to degrade. I feel like many people simply don't know what to do with all their plastic and aluminum containers.

I would love to see at least the major soda companies make and sell all their soda in returnable glass bottles. People could buy them in the six packs, return them for a few cents, and help the environment by not littering as much. Sure, there's always going to be some people who don't give a fuck, and will litter regardless, and of course many will still litter regardless of whether it's glass or plastic..But I suspect it would be less than with plastic. In my mind, if someone is holding a flimsy plastic bottle as opposed to a glass one, the glass one is so much heavier that the person would be much less inclined to throw it out, maybe they might even keep it for themselves for personal use. Which would also help the environment.

Of course I have no illusions, because the big companies are so greedy and cheap, they'd say changing from plastic to glass would cost too much, and this is probably right in the short-term, but I would like to see some step up and bring back glass!

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline mecch

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 03:36:35 am »
Aside from what I consider the nasty taste of soda in plastic and cans compared to the old-school glass bottles, I wish all beverage manufacturers would totally ditch the plastic and cans for another important reason besides taste..environmental! Back in the day, I heard stories about how the milkmen would deliver milk to people's houses in the six-pack glass bottles every morning, the people would simply return the bottles afterwards, the company would sterilize them and clean them, and the process would begin over again. No nasty plastic or aluminum waste, which can seep into the soils and clog rivers and just make anything look trashy when not properly disposed of. I heard somewhere it takes thousands of years for some plastics to degrade. I feel like many people simply don't know what to do with all their plastic and aluminum containers.

I would love to see at least the major soda companies make and sell all their soda in returnable glass bottles. People could buy them in the six packs, return them for a few cents, and help the environment by not littering as much. Sure, there's always going to be some people who don't give a fuck, and will litter regardless, and of course many will still litter regardless of whether it's glass or plastic..But I suspect it would be less than with plastic. In my mind, if someone is holding a flimsy plastic bottle as opposed to a glass one, the glass one is so much heavier that the person would be much less inclined to throw it out, maybe they might even keep it for themselves for personal use. Which would also help the environment.

Of course I have no illusions, because the big companies are so greedy and cheap, they'd say changing from plastic to glass would cost too much, and this is probably right in the short-term, but I would like to see some step up and bring back glass!

Robby
Glass, plastic and aluminum is all recycled in many locations.

Yes things do taste better in glass.

On the other hand, glass is heavy and it comes with its own carbon footprint, as well

There are very very very few products on the shelves that come in glass containers that are reused.  Most glass is recycled but that means crushing, melting, remaking the glass.  I haven't seen reusable glass on anything in Switzerland for a few years.

Offline elf

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 06:57:58 pm »
I quit consuming (diet) soda, since it gave me bacne.
(It also made me feel hungry all the time

My favorites were: Pepsi Max, Pepsi Light and Coca Cola zero;
I used to drink one 2L bottle or two a day  :-[).

Now I drink only water or tea with stevia.
Pepsi and Coca Cola only two or three times a year (at birthday parties mostly).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:07:13 pm by elf »

Offline mecch

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 08:45:03 am »
I used to drink one 2L bottle or two a day  :-[).

Holy crap.   8)

Im sure a diet soda now and then isn't a problem. 

Offline DrewEm

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 03:09:59 am »
I drink a lot of water (filtered tap, courtesy of the Delaware River watershed), and otherwise coffee or tea (no sugar in either).

Lucky you! I get slightly filtered Schuylkill Punch in my part of South Philly.

I drink water. Lots of water. My urine is usually clear I drink so much. I've never been a coffee drinker. When I splurge it's a vanilla Coke.

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 09:43:24 pm »
Someone up there said: "Sorry to have strayed off topic here but looking at your link, it appears that most southerners use the term "Coke" as a generic term for soda/pop??? THAT is just plain weird. So they say, "I'm going to the store to get some coke" when they really were picking up root beer? Does not compute. "

It's because Coca-Cola is based out of Atlanta and had a large influence in that area. If you wanted a carbonated sugary beverage with no alcohol (phew that's a mouthful), it would be Coke regardless, so Southerners just called it "coke" the way you might get a (small letters on purpose) kleenex, a q-tip, xerox or bandaid.

By the time there was an alternative, it was too late.

But I'm from Kentucky, we drink Ale-8-One. ;)
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 10:33:37 pm »
My Aunt and Uncle were thrifty shoppers and used to buy Shasta soda for us when we came to visit . The creme and grape were my favorite followed by orange , never liked the plain Shasta cola .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 10:48:13 pm »

By the time there was an alternative, it was too late.

Ha! You said a mouthful! ;D
LOL!

Offline texaninnyc87

Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2013, 03:42:21 pm »
It might get you depressed but...
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/diet-soda-mixers-drunk-faster-study-article-1.1259017

Well, I don't drink but if I ever start again, I will stock up on the diet Coke!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.