Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:32:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 480
Total: 481

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Specific healthcare situations  (Read 23164 times)

Offline Loveishope1970

• Standard
Re: Specific healthcare situations
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2013, 10:33:48 am »
Really, I want to tell everyone thank you. You really have no idea how much comfort you give to those who are scared.  That's a very giving thing to do. Not many can do that. Where would we all go for information if we didn't have this forum? You do a great service and I thank you.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2013, 04:38:43 pm »
Hi Love

I'm glad the guys helped you, they really do know their stuff.

Remember educate, learn and have a good life.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Loveishope1970

• Standard
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2013, 11:36:44 am »
I thought I would feel better after I received my negative HIV test at 6 weeks(44 days), but I don't. I don't know if it's anxiety or what. I was ok until my husband had a sore throat for 3 days, fever for one day, and a stiff neck. Then my baby developed a rash on her bottom and back and on her arms which were tiny bumps. I'm so scared I've hurt her and my husband. I don't know what to do. I can barely function, can't eat or sleep.

Offline Loveishope1970

• Standard
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2013, 11:40:00 am »
Would you feel that your HIV negative test at 6 weeks is accurate since the patient was HIV negative?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2013, 01:32:57 pm »
Would you feel that your HIV negative test at 6 weeks is accurate since the patient was HIV negative?

You cant get HIV from an HIV negative person , cant believe you asked that .

You really need to talk to your healthcare providers and insist they can hook you up with someone to help you with your anxiety about HIV .  We do care that you are scared but we have done our part in giving you a proper risk assessment and this isn't the proper forum to offer the support you seem to need .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Loveishope1970

• Standard
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2013, 02:20:45 pm »
I know you can't get HIV from a an HIV negative person. I'm
worried the patient could have been in the window period and that his test may not have shown antibodies yet. I just keep thinking of the what if's.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2013, 02:22:55 pm »
Step away from the computer and seek professional mental help. You are beyond the scope of help any Internet Forum can provide.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2013, 06:54:53 pm »
Do yourself and your family a favor and get yourself professional help. We cannot provide what you need in this setting. I'm just going to repeat what has been said to you over and over. You did not have a risk. You're just making drama.

Get some help to get yourself sorted out. HIV is not the problem. 
Andy Velez

Offline Loveishope1970

• Standard
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2013, 04:24:54 am »
I'm not making drama, believe me. I am a quiet person who leads a pretty ordinary life, wPeking and being a mom. I really am scared. And I am very confused about HIV. I was told it was a risk by employee health that I pricked my finger. At first I felt ok knowing the patient was HIV negative, but then I started worrying about the window period and wondering if he was in it. Then I had my test at 44 days and it was negative and I felt relieved, but then my husband had a sore throat for 3 days, fever for one day, and a stiff neck, the same week I got my negative results. Now, my baby had a rash for 3 days, red bumps on her bottom and a few scattered on her back and arms. And I have had irregular menstrual cycle this month, it won't end basically. All of these things are symptoms if HIV that I have read. I am so scared I have hurt my baby and my husband. And I'm so angry with myself that I stuck myself. How could I have been so careless? And why didn't I just stop breastfeeding? I was told I could if the patient was negative, but I don't think my pediatrician considered that the patient could have been in the window period. And me not having much knowledge of HIV, I thought I was ok because the patient tested negative. See I could I take it if I was sick, but the thought of hurting my baby and my husband is killing me. I come here to talk, not cause drama. My mom is gone, passed away in a car accident 6 years ago. I'm alone right now, sitting here typing this and crying, because I am truly scared. And I don't know what to do.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2013, 08:33:06 am »
We offer risk assessments for HIV , we cant help you with your anxiety that you have repeatedly been told to seek help for OUTSIDE of this forum . You are stuck in a loop of worry and are now back to square one . Allowing you to continue to post here is doing you more harm than good and may be preventing you from getting the help that you need .

I'm giving you that time out you were warned about and when its over and if you decide to come back again and post more of the same you will get another . If you come back here , come back with an update that you have received some mental health counseling .   
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:37:52 am by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Loveishope1970

• Standard
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2013, 08:16:31 pm »
My 12 week test (86 days) was HIV negative and hepatitis c negative. I just have a few questions about testing. I have read 12 weeks is conclusive and then I read that 90 days is conclusive. Is a test at 86 days conclusive? I also was sick with an upper respiratory infection in august and in September so I had a medrol dose pack beginning of august that I didn't finish so I only took it for 3 days and I had a steroid shot the week before my 12 week test. Do corticosteroid injections and prednisone, medrol packs alter an HIV test? Clarification on these questions will be helpful. And yes, I am seeing a counselor about anxiety. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't so much confusion around testing, etc. My employee health nurse said I have to test for a year and I don't know why. Lastly, when is a hepatitis c test conclusive? Thank you.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2013, 08:32:27 pm »
Your test is conclusive and you do not need to test again . Three months is the guideline for a conclusive result . Testing four days early isn't going to make a difference any way because you are ignoring the fact that YOU DID NOT HAVE A RISK . None of the things you mentioned have any bearing on the accuracy of your HIV test and you have conclusively tested negative .; 

You have been advised on the testing window period already and can now move on with your life . YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV .

I bet its a relief for you now that this is over .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Loveishope1970

• Standard
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2013, 09:33:56 pm »
I guess I feel a little bit better. Just a little annoyed at the whole process at work and how it was handled which caused a lot of anxiety. Employee health should be a resource and it was not. I work in a very small rural hospital. Anyways, hopefully all that will change. There needs to be more education in my facility as far as HIV risks and testing. That's what caused confusion because the enployee health nurse said I was at risk. Just caused a lot of confusion.

Offline Loveishope1970

• Standard
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2013, 08:15:18 pm »
I think the needle stick incident has made me very anxious as a nurse. I was helping to turn a very heavy patient so the nurse could clean him after a bowel movement. I had to help turn the patient because the nurse taking care of patient is pregnant and for some reason thinks she doesn't have to do any lifting. Anyways the patient had a urinary catheter and had blood in his foley catheter bag. I didn't touch the catheter or the bag. But I felt like I got something in my eye. I felt nothing on my face at all. My eye didn't even water, but now I'm scared that urine may have been leaking around his catheter and when we turned him, a drop Gould have splashed me in my eye. But if I got splashed in the eye, I would think I would have felt it on my face too. Of course I've convinced myself that I've been exposed to HIV. Is urine infectious if there is blood in it? And I am working with a counselor.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2013, 08:30:44 pm »
I think the needle stick incident has made me very anxious as a nurse. I was helping to turn a very heavy patient so the nurse could clean him after a bowel movement. I had to help turn the patient because the nurse taking care of patient is pregnant and for some reason thinks she doesn't have to do any lifting. Anyways the patient had a urinary catheter and had blood in his foley catheter bag. I didn't touch the catheter or the bag. But I felt like I got something in my eye. I felt nothing on my face at all. My eye didn't even water, but now I'm scared that urine may have been leaking around his catheter and when we turned him, a drop Gould have splashed me in my eye. But if I got splashed in the eye, I would think I would have felt it on my face too. Of course I've convinced myself that I've been exposed to HIV. Is urine infectious if there is blood in it? And I am working with a counselor.

You have been told what the risk factors are for HIV . We cant help you with your HIV phobia and we are not a chat room or a place to hold your hand every time you become fearful . We have fulfilled our mission to give out accurate up-to-date science based assessments . Please do not come back asking questions we have already addressed because you have already had two timeouts and the next one is a complete permanent ban . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Loveishope1970

• Standard
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2013, 08:48:32 pm »
I've only had one time out and I've never asked a question about blood in urine before and I've tried to look up info on it but some say yes that urine with blood is infectious and some say it's not so I was just trying to find the accurate answer. I didn't come to chat. I just asked a question. It seems if I was a person who was sleeping with everything that walked or crawled and had concerns, you would answer my questions.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2013, 08:57:02 pm »
You're banned .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.