Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:24:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 353
Total: 354

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Unprotected Vaginal intercourse  (Read 6822 times)

Offline LeeUK

Unprotected Vaginal intercourse
« on: December 05, 2006, 09:35:45 am »
I'm a 25yr old heterosexual male. I met a girl off a dating website and we had several dates and 1 exposure of unprotected vaginal sex that lasted about 2 mins. She did not orgasm nor did i 'come' inside of her. Over the past 8 weeks i have noticed that my tongue has turned a white colour with a sour almost metallic taste in my mouth. I also feel the need to urinate frequently. I have been reading up signs and early symptoms on the net and its freaked me out that from my stupidity i have HIV. Do these sound like early symptoms or just anxiety? I have not been dealing with the whole situation very well at all and i have also suffered from indigestion and my stomach is gurgling almost everyday.  Its been 8 weeks and 2 days since the incident and I'm worried out of my mind.  I have been off sick for 2 weeks from work with inflamed tonsils and a cold that went onto my chest.  ARS symptoms - can they happen about 7 weeks after?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
Lee

Offline RapidRod

Re: Unprotected Vaginal intercourse
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 09:42:00 am »
ARS happens 2-4 weeks after infection. Symptoms or lack of is no way to diagnosis HIV. HIV has no specific symptoms. The only way to know your status is to test. Always use condoms and plenty of water base lube to prevent these needless worries.

Offline LeeUK

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 09:46:02 am »
Do you think that 'white tongue' is caused by stress and anxiety?  Is it really true that transmission is difficult from female to male?  And how is this?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 10:29:33 am »
Lee,

A white tongue can be caused by all sorts of different things, with the most common reason being dietary. Stress can also cause it because of the changes in stomach acid content. Thrush is sometimes a cause, but this must be diagnosed by a doctor. You CANNOT diagnose thrush yourself and even a doctor must swab the area for testing to be absolutely sure. It is also entirely possible that your tongue was white before your incident but you never noticed before. Many people have white on their tongues - and it means nothing.

You have had a risk and you do need to test, but it is unlikely you were infected from a one time incident. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man.

As the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, a negative result now would be an excellent indication of your true status. I would not expect an eight week negative to change at the three month conclusive test.

So you have two options - test now for peace of mind and confirm your result at three months, or wait for the three months to be over and only test then. Whatever you do, you need to test at least once at three months.

In the meantime, keep yourself productively busy and remember, it's unlikely that you were infected. However, there is always a possibility when not using condoms for intercourse.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use can use condoms with confidence.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline LeeUK

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 11:04:57 am »
Thankyou Rod and Ann for your comments - its greatly appreciated and acknowledged.

Lee

Offline LeeUK

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 11:07:59 am »
Just a follow up - i obviously am very worried about my stupidity but none more so than now.  On the 7 week past my exposure i developed a cough and cold and was prescribed penicillin.  Now almost on my 9th week (i tested by the way on thurs 7th dec at my local GUM - waiting for the results), i woke up with yet another sore throat (has eased off straight after I took some paracetemol) - but i just feel like im going to come down again with another cold of sorts.  Im worried sick - i keep thinking is this ARS - or has the virus destroyed all my white blood cells and is this why i keep picking up things?  My stomach is making gurgling noises still im just worried sick.  10 days of waiting for my results now.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 11:15:18 am »
ARS comes on all at once and leaves all at once. You don't get a symptom now and then one later. What you are talking about came on to late to be a concern with ARS.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 11:42:51 am »
Lee,

Just to add on to what Rodney has told you, it takes YEARS for hiv to "destroy all [your] white cells".

One thing that is a sure-fire way to lower your immunity to common colds and flu-bugs is to stay stressed out. Prolonged stress is one of the worst things for the immune system, regardless of your hiv status.

Remember, the odds are in your favour from a one-time incident.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline LeeUK

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 12:26:57 pm »
Thanks again Rodney and Ann your words are always greatly appreciated and acknowledged.  I just worry myself into the ground and whilst I'm doing that making others around me (friends/family etc) ill too with worry.  I was feeling OK for the last week went for my test on Thurs and the swab tests they do were checked under the microscope (a swab for my penis that hurt like hell and one for my throat) came back all clear - are these swabs for gonorrhea and would the throat swab have picked up anything (like my white coated tongue for example)?  I freaked out yesterday as i developed a small rash on the inside on my elbow/arm.  I was using a beard dye though and put a small amount there as a test 1st its gone now - but i thought i know i have a HIV rash?!  I used the dye and that didn't affect my face at all though!!  I just feel all 'achy' I'm convincing myself on a daily basis i have the virus.  I feel so lost.  Had my 25th bday on Tue 5th too and just literally cried all day.

Offline LeeUK

Unprotected sex with female help advice needed.
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 09:59:09 am »
I have gone and done something terribly stupid (yet again) and had unprotected sex with a female of whom i do not know that well.  We engaged in intercourse on the first night of meeting probably about 4/5 times lasting about 5 mins roughly.  I have had duo tests done at 22 days (negative) and the latest being 40 days (6 weeks nearly) where again i tested negative on the duo test and INSTI test.  I have just had a test done at 9 weeks and i am awaiting the results from my local GUM clinic here in the UK.

Over the past week i have had an ulcer on my soft palate (just right above my tonsil) and a bad cough and cold.  Im worried now that i may test positive on my 9 week test and wanted some help and advice really on this situation.  What is worrying me (to some this may sound silly) but i rang for my results 4 days after the test (they said they take up to 10 days but usually back within 4 to 5 working days) and the nurse said they had not arrived.  I worried as soon as i got off the phone thinking 'have they arrived in and the result is positive and the nurse wont tell me as its a few days before xmas' - am i just being daft about this?

Any help and/or advice is always greatly appreciated and acknolwedged.

Lee

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 10:06:17 am »
Lee,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You should know from last year that symptoms, or even the lack of symptoms, are meaningless when it comes to hiv infection. Please re-read your entire thread so we don't have to repeat ourselves.

Your (nearly) six week test is unlikely to change. GUM clinics are not in the habit of withholding test results, especially positive test results. They'd rather tell you, even though it's Christmas, in a bid to make sure you don't go out and have more unprotected intercourse and spread the virus further.

You need to stop playing roulette with your health and start using condoms. You will also need to test for all the other STIs as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. You're more likely to get chlamydia from this encounter, so TEST.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Check out all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly and with confidence.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline LeeUK

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 03:42:52 pm »
Hi Ann and to all the other mods and forum users
Merry xmas and happy boxing day! Hope you had a nice day yesterday and are continuing to enjoy the festivities?!  I got my 63 day test back (a day over 9 weeks) and it was all negative.  Should i continue to test negative at 12 weeks?

Thanks
Lee

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 10:00:45 am »
Lee,

Although your nine week negative is extremely unlikely to change, we go by the official three month window period here. So yes, you should confirm your negative result at three months. Expect another negative - I do.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.