Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:40:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 209
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recently infected  (Read 7660 times)

Offline UK-HIV

Recently infected
« on: August 04, 2010, 10:21:02 am »
(Take two - frist message got lost)

Hi,

I’m gay (Its important later when you read) In July I turned 30, a few days following this I was diagnosed with HIV. I was told over the phone whilst at school (I’m a teacher). I begun telling people at school and this really helped me through the first few days, without this I probably wouldn’t have got through the first few days. I went home in the evening waited till the boys went to bed then told my fiancée. He was terrific once he got over the shock.

We both went into the clinic the next day I was retested and my other half was tested - from here I went to tell my parents - I was still not entirely sure what was going on I was on autopilot. We went back to the clinic that day with my mum this time. My results were +ve and my other half’s came back -ve - I was soo relieved at this point and I was terrified what I have done to another human being. I was still concerned as we had unprotected anal sex just before my blood test. He is now showing all the symptoms that I had.

The counsellor at the clinic is amazed at how well we are doing - it has made  our relationship so strong and made us realise how important life is. I do still get moment especially like yesterday I was in the clinic and there was a  guy who had AIDs and did look awful.

I went back to get my counts and other blood test results but was surprised by the numbers. I think I am going through seroconversion as it was infection was quite recent. The consultant I saw said it was the highest he has ever seen. I lead a healthy life drink occasionally and eat healthily, I could do with exercising more which I will start soon.

My other results are all fine cholesterol Vit D etc are all fine. As soon as I got my results I noted that my gums were receding I have been using a chlorohexidine mouthwash and toothpaste but it doesn’t seem to be helping. I’ve seen a dentist and he just said keep your teeth clean - which I do but am worried that my teeth will continue to deteriorate.

My CD4 count was 267 which I was surprised it was so low, however my viral load was over 10 million, they actually stopped counting at this point.

My questions are about my viral load after seroconversion will having such a high VL now affect what my Viral load will be after. How long is this likely to take?

My other big concern is for the kids and my other half, they have already lost their mum the last thing I would want to happen was for them see their dad or me in a bad way.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Recently infected
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:41:54 am »
A couple of weeks to a couple of months to find your set point.
I hope the clinic told you that you are not going to die. 
YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DIE OF THIS.

Well if you are like most folks your viral load will fall after the acute phase and then you'll have regular labs to see the situation vis a vis HAART.    My case was pretty rare and the ID said my viral load was just too high for too long and he put me on HAART a few months after seroconversion, and of course HAART worked.  So either way doesn't seem to matter too much for long term prognosis. 

Welcome to the forums.

Do what you gotta do for disclosure, but as you say you might have been in autopilot the first days, remember not the entire world has to know you are HIV+.  But then again, if that works for you, bravo! 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:43:21 pm »
Welcome to the forums.....

Congrats on moving forward with treatment and building your personal support network.  I'll second what Mecch said, not everyone needs to know everything, but you are probably politically savvy if you teach for a living.  :)
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:48:29 pm »
Hey UK - sorry you had to find us this way, but still glad you are here.  Welcome - Look forward to hearing more from you. 
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline max123

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 01:07:20 pm »
hi uk,

welcome aboard. you'll find lots of good info in the lessons and posts...a tremendous humor, as well.

max
1/86 - 6/08 (annually): neg elisa
7/09: pos elisa/pos wb
8/09: cd4 560, cd4% 35, vl 13,050
12/09: cd4 568, cd4% 33, vl 2,690
4/10: cd4 557, cd4% 29.3, vl 6,440
7/10: cd4 562, cd4% 29.6, vl 3,780

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 07:25:16 pm »

Hi!

I'm sorry to hear your news, but you do seem to be taking it quite well.  I have no idea about immediate post-seroconversion numbers, since I was only diagnosed a year and a half after initial infection.  But a few months ago I got quite sick with another virus, and apparently HIV took the opportunity to have a party--my viral load at the second week of illness was 799,000--when it had been only 4,000 or so a few months before.  I recovered from the illness, and a month later the VL was down to 31,000--still higher than my usual, but a million times better than a month before!  Since you were tested while still going through the turmoil of sero-conversion, you have every reason to hope that your numbers will similarly return to sanity once the initial crisis is past. 

Happy birthday, belatedly; my birthday is in July as well.  (Seems we both had a lot of drama for our birthdays!)  If it's any consolation, I'm now in my seventh year of living with HIV, and 99% of the time I'm in excellent health--as good as or even better than before I had HIV.  There is no reason why seven years from now you shouldn't be able to say the same thing.  Good luck!
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline UK-HIV

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:49:55 am »
Hi,
Still in good health (One month lol). Although two things I have noticed:

Drinking alot of water, with a very dry throat (Only recently becoming a little sore)

My gums have receded a good few mm in the last month, it doesn't appear to be slowing regardless of what I try, electric toothbrush, flossing, cordisol toothpaste and mouthwash... Any advice I know I sound vain but one thing I don't want to loose is my teeth at 30.

Thanks

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 11:40:38 am »
Hi,
Still in good health (One month lol). Although two things I have noticed:

Drinking alot of water, with a very dry throat (Only recently becoming a little sore)

My gums have receded a good few mm in the last month, it doesn't appear to be slowing regardless of what I try, electric toothbrush, flossing, cordisol toothpaste and mouthwash... Any advice I know I sound vain but one thing I don't want to loose is my teeth at 30.

Thanks

Do you think perhaps you're being a little bit of a hypochondriac about this and perhaps your gums aren't actually receding you just think they are?  Considering you think you were just infected the disease takes a long time to actually affect you  (Even people who progress quickly are measured in years) so you may want to perhaps confront your anxiety about the disease head on by talking to your doctor about anything you think might be changing.  I'm gonna go out on a limb though and say if your gums are receding then it has nothing to do with HIV.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 03:36:43 pm »

There are many gum diseases that affect all people and you should see a dentist immediately. Whether it is HIV related or not, oral diseases can pose significant risks to pozzies and you do not want to take a chance. Hopefully you can find a good dentist and please tell them you are poz, so they have all the information they need, to make a proper diagnosis. I know this may appear hard, but you are poz and you must do what is necessary to protect your health. You can tell the dentist discretely and if they balk, then you need to find another dentist. This really is that important.

Offline UK-HIV

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 02:09:34 pm »
Hi,

I am not a hypochondriac. My gums have always been very tight to my teeth, between my teeth they were filled by gums. Since going through Seroconversion my gums did certainly recede leaving large gaps. I told my dentist and have been to see him twice, I have an appointment to see the hygienist.

The reason I say that the gums could be linked is my extremely high VL during seroconversion, in xs of 10million.

I appreciate that gum diseases affect all sorts of people but my teeth have been in excellent condition apart from the last few months.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.