Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:27:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 519
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 509
Total: 509

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Sustiva/Atripla Thread  (Read 115096 times)

Offline Tonny2

Re: The Sustiva/Atripla Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2015, 12:08:17 pm »

ojo     Has anybody gotten a rash while taking sustiva and what did you do to solve the rash?....thanks for the feedbacks...hugs                               ojo

Offline Hedorian

« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2015, 01:16:55 am »
hallo there, just my experience:

started atripla yesterday: first night/day:

- No vivid dreams(dammit i was waiting for them somehow)
- little dizzyness after 1 hour taking it,than sleep.
-at wake up no problem,just feel slightly inappetent,but if its due to the pills or the stress of work im facing now i dont know.
-same for the sleeping,i wake up at 3:30 and had some problem fall asleep but again not sure if its the pills or the stress from job.

So..so far so good, in 2 weeks i have another liver/kidney tests and see on long term what happen.

Offline going_gone89

« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2015, 01:10:04 pm »
Just started Stocrin last night, along with Truvada. Feelings of depersonalization and derealization were pretty obvious. Vivid dreams were not as bad as I expected, in fact I feel rested despite them.
Feeling anxious and shaky this morning, almost what it feels like a few hours after smoking pot? Funny considering one of the side effects I've read about is a false positive for pot in urine testing (which will make finding a job, im sure very enjoyable).

Besides that, I'm just happy I'm keeping my breakfast down. Which makes me curious, I know side effects vary greatly, but how soon after starting therapy do you experience those types of side effects? Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:15:45 pm by going_gone89 »

Offline mlgoforth

• Michael Miguel Goforth devotee of Adi Da Samraj
    • Google Profile Michael Miguel Goforth
« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2015, 05:21:31 am »
re; going_gone89
« on: September 27, 2015, 01:10:04 PM »

"Just started Stocrin last night, along with Truvada. Feelings of depersonalization and derealization were pretty obvious. Vivid dreams were not as bad as I expected, in fact I feel rested despite them."
    [[ If your body can adapt this should go in a month or so, if it doesn't choose another HIV Cocktail.  Be careful don't get used to the depersonalization and derealization, I did that and it took 5 years to realize the drug was making me more and more and more crazy.]]
    "Besides that, I'm just happy I'm keeping my breakfast down. Which makes me curious, I know side effects vary greatly, but how soon after starting therapy do you experience those types of side effects? Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc."
     [[For some it starts write away, some they never get those side effects. With Sustiva I had to take 1 1/2 dose Lopermide Hydrochloride (Imodium AD) every day to control diarrhea ]]
*Infected 1980, Test+1987 | 2018=38yrs
*1998-2005 Viracept,3TC,D4T side effect extreme fatigue
*2005-2010 Sustiva,3TC,AZT side effect extreme fatigue, brain high
*2010-2018 Reyataz,Norvir,3TC,AZT.
side effect totally disabling extreme fatigue.
20180913- Genvoya extreme fatigue now less. Yeah!
*Undetectable 1998 on, CD4  1998=60(AIDS), 2018=500+
Side effects, 1998 on Metabolic Syndrome, 2003 on Extreme Fatigue gets worse @yr, 2005 on Neuropathy, 1998 on Buffalo Hump, 2013 Diabetic Ketoacidosis nearly died, now take Insulin, Cannabis re Neuropathy, Lisinopril re bp, Lipitor re Cholesterol, Testosterone re fatigue, Various supplements, Simple diet, no processed foods, lots of fermented food

Offline Hedorian

« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2015, 02:36:58 am »
UPDATE on my Atripla trip.

Blood test kidney/liver perfect after 2 weeks treatment.

Dizzyness after taking it greatly reduced.

Heavy head on waking up at morning almost disappear.

had a mild rash on body at day 12 for just 1 day,gone in 3 days without taking any medicine.

No nausea,diarrea,psyco effect or whatever seen.

Sleep deep and good . ( no sweat no wake up no dreams).

Taking the pills on really empty stomach (4 hours last meal) for me helped than only 2 hours from.last meal

so i can say im lucky one with little to noone side effect.

Now i will check for the long term one (mental foggy..memory issue)

keep you posted

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2015, 12:25:56 pm »
As someone who has taken this medication since 2010, I can say that for someone initially starting treatment or with a low cd4 it can be a great medication the first couple years I was on it overall got me very healthy has kept my numbers great, cd4 has stayed in the 700s. But the side effects have gotten cumulatively worse. First couple years in, problems with sleep. Insomnia, problems falling asleep. Then, severe panic attacks, anxiety, jittery, all this happened about two years in. Not sure if it takes that long to change your chemistry or something but it didn't happen overnight. It's kept me healthy but at quite a price in other ways. I went through a bad spell where I was suicidal and having terrible dreams.

I feel that Atripla has aggravated my anxiety to the point of having to be put on a lot of other meds to control the anxiety and insomnia. I've been put on Mirtazipine, Melatonin, and even blood pressure meds because of heart palpitations.

I've held out because I wanted to research other options but now after a week-long bad bout of insomnia, I can't take it any more and have told my doc I want to ditch it for good.

I suspect the dosing time at night plays a role in how bad it messes my sleep up.

Hopefully my new regimen I can take early in the day and so I'll sleep better. Lack of sleep literally makes you angry and insane.

If you can tolerate Sustiva great but I strongly suspect I can't, and am going to try either Stribild or Isentress/Truvada or another combination. I'll post again with updates.

My hope is that if I get a regimen I can tolerate better, I won't need all these other meds I hate feeling over medicated.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #156 on: October 28, 2015, 12:41:53 am »
Greetings! I have waited a long time to read this post as i was on a different treatment, but now that i am UD, and my CD4 is good, my ID Doc raised this as an option yesterday.
I currently take 9 pills a day - Truvada x1 and Alluvia 4x2. She suggested i move to Atripla.
I inquired about alternative once-a-day regiments because of the harsh side-affects of Atripla, e.g. Complera, Stribild, or Trivicay (which i read about in this forum) and she was not really aware of them - probably because they are not available in Thailand. However, for Complera, she was familiar and knew the make-up which she said was Truvada + Rilpivirine.
She told me that compared to Atripla, which, according to her is made of Truvada + STocrin, and that Stocrin is known to have harsh side affects, but that they usually go away after a few weeks. She mentioned that the  Rilpivirine is known to be much milder than the Stocrin. The issue is, that taking the Atripla would mean taking 1 pill, where taking the Rilpivirine+Truvada combo would mean taking 2 pills.
My motives for changing treatments are as follows in order of priority:
1. Long term affects - i figure the less pills i take the less damage i will do to my body. Maybe i am wrong here, but it only seems logical to me - the less pills, the less damage i do (i know this isn't very scientific). Also, since i have a long way ahead of me (i hope at least 30 years!) i want to take something that has the least amount of damage to my body. I know the Alluvia (aka Kaltera) is bad for the long run, and i am now reading that Atripla is also not the kindest kid on the block. Which is why i am really considering the 2 pill regiment.
2. Routine and timezone - i prefer a once a day regiment at night - it is easier to remember, it is a single reminder of my unfortunate burden, but mainly b/c of of logistics - i travel west a lot and that means i have to wake up very early just to take my dose - sometimes i wake at 4AM to take my morning dose of Alluvia when in Europe. A once-per-day regiment at night will allow me to take that dose in the eve in Europe - so it would be much more convenient.
3. Travel logistics - each time i travel i must take a zillion pills with me. This means i calculate and recalculate and count and recount before each trip. It is a burden and a source of anxiety ("did i bring the right amount?"). Then the crossing of the borders with so many pills, in some countries that are not very HIV tolerant (e.g. Singapore until a few months ago denied HIV+ people from entering the country) can lead to a many questions if they get discovered. Imagine a 5 day business trip - today it is 45 pills in a carry on as opposed to 5 (or 10)!! the 45 makes me look like a smuggler hahaha!
4. Concealment - my condition is a well kept secret between me and my wife and my Doc (and you guys!). It is a challenge to hide 3 months worth of bottles today especially with 3 kids in the house. I figure, 3 (or 6) bottles is much easier to hide and disguise.

So, as of now i have a choice:
1. Stay on the 9 pills -PROs? "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" My body has adjusted, it seems to be doing wonders (CD4 over 1000 and UD) and i am used to the routine.
CONs - As i have mentioned above - travel, toxicity, concealment etc
2. Switch to Atripla - PROs - once a day? WOW! 1 PILL once a day?! Double WOW!!
CONs - just read the posts in this thread!
3. Switch to Truvada+Rilpivirine (aka Complera in it's 1 pill form) - PROs - once a day, supposedly less adverse side affects than Atripla.
CONs - 2 pills instead of one.
There is also a cost issue. Funny enough, option 3 is the cheapest - slightly cheaper than option 2 which is significantly cheaper than my current regiment.

I will continue with my current regiment for another 3 months, but i want to start researching my next step.

Comments, insights and sage advice will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2015, 07:10:54 am »
If you have ever had a history of mental illness, depression or anxiety then Atripla is not the drug for you. Many regimens that are not single pill regimens can be taken once daily after you are stable and undetectable for awhile so don't get hung up on one pill treatments. 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: October 28, 2015, 09:28:24 am »
That is an excellent point , I have been thinking
the same thing for quite a while.
What's one more pill ??? and little ore no side affects.
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2015, 10:55:22 am »
Yea I don't even care if I have to take 2-3 pills a day at this point, I've realized in the two days I've been off Atripla how much better I feel without it! Not panicky, anxious, or depressed at all! I feel clear headed, and calm! :)

Unfortunately I'll have to start taking it again just until next week when my appointment is then they'll switch me off. But I'm so ready to be done with this nasty pill for good. Any other regimen that doesn't cause full scale meltdowns will be an improvement!

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2015, 11:48:10 am »
Good to hear Robby !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline islandguy

« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2016, 10:25:31 am »
I am literally sitting here with the first Atripla pill in hand ready to start and now I'm somewhat terrified.  Jeez I'm panicky and haven't even started.

It's taken months to finally get all the blood work done, find an ID, and get a prescription that I've been so anticipating.  The box arrived today (insurance will only do mail order but on the other hand I'm not even paying a co-pay) so I thought I'd browse through here to see what kind of side effects I might be expecting and I certainly wasn't expecting the nightmares (some literal) that I've been reading about here.

I'm just wondering if all the side effects I'm reading about really only happen to a small percentage of people who have chosen this thread to talk about and there are thousands more who take it with no problems so no reason to come here?

I've been so looking forward to finally getting started on meds that it's a real bummer to now read about what could happen.

I guess there's no harm in giving it a try, monitoring my behavior, and hoping for the best or an alternative down the line. 

So here goes.  Gulp.  First step towards the rest of my life.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2016, 11:55:32 am »
Hi Islandguy,
I also just took my first Atripla tonight and wondering what side affects i will feel. My doc gave me some great advice. He said, some people have bad reactions, MOST people have mild reactions and some have none. He continued to explain that there is no "formula" as to whom will feel what. So, as he put it," you never know unless you try!".
2 hours into it and feel normal. Hoping i stay this way. Good luck!

Offline islandguy

« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2016, 11:05:33 pm »
Terry no side effects that I've felt over 2 days but I take it at night so I may be sleeping thru anything. I was thinking about it today and I'm pretty happy to be starting it. It's proven to work, and work fairly quickly. Once I'm UD I can consider something else and there will no doubt be something even better coming along. Hope you're doing good too.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2016, 07:11:38 am »
Hey Guys, Please don’t be afraid to take Atripla with any more or less concern than you would any other med. The point of this thread was to make sure people were vigilant and on the lookout for any possible side effects … which you should do for any medication.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2016, 07:55:05 am »
While Atripla is not for everyone (which could probably be said about almost ANY drug), I have been taking Atripla (or its components, as Atripla didn't exist when I started) for over 10 years.  The only "side effect" that I have are the vivid dreams still come around from time to time -- but over all this time only a handful have been "unpleasant".  Oh, I suppose that the tenofovir may be responsible for some gas at times, but then, I could have inherited that from my father too....   :o

So, be on the lookout for any side effects, but don't panic -- many, many people take this drug without any negative impacts.

Good health to you!!
Mike

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2016, 12:03:35 pm »
So, 24hours into this and the affects are.... interesting  :).
I take the pill at 10 pm. Last night I ate about 30 minutes before (tonight i didn`t). At about 2 hours  or so i start to get a bit "foggy" - like i smoked some old weed. Face gets a little hot and ears sorta ring a bit -nothing major.
I slept well, although i did have weird dreams about taking my old morning dose of 4 Aluvia through a nerf-gun (oh well, dreams!), and suddenly realising i shouldn`t be "shooting" those 4 pills into my mouth since i only take my 1 pill at night. This dream recurred 3 or 4 times in various versions (always the nerf gun..).
i woke very groggy. And then i was very foggy - hard to concentrate, hard to multitask, slightly "woozy", and my coffee tasted weird.
I decided NOT to go to the gym feeling that way. i hung around and worked for a few more hours and then finally drove to a meeting, and felt completely normal from that point on. So something like hour 2-12 after taking the pill is when i am in "high" mode. I probably should sleep longer. I hope this wares off by next week because i have a business trip and i can`t be "high" for the first few hours! hahahaha. Besides that, my stomach is noticeably MUCH better. I`m liking this 1 pill business! Will keep you posted.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2016, 07:53:45 pm »
quick update - i woke up this morning (6:30 after the last post) and feel fine. Slight "tin" taste, no "fog" like yesterday, no dizziness, definitely multi-tasking - i`m on fire here shooting out the emails and managing a few crisis. So all good!
No dreams about nerf-guns, although i did have a great dream about opening up a grocery store in the 1930`s - it was like an entire movie!
Besides that, stomach is a zillion times better!
Atripla I LOVE YOU!
Gents, thanks for the words of support - it helped in making this decision.
Good day to all!

Offline RobbSC

2 years on Atripla
« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2016, 01:39:37 pm »
I am going on 2 years on Atripla. I honestly don't have any real issues with the meds except for the occasional wild dreams - many aren't all that bad though. I am a bit groggy in the morning and it takes me a while to really get moving. I spoke to my doctor about the new TAF version but he prefers I stay on my current regime since it is working so well. Since then maybe I am making up more side effects like lack of focus, reduced energy, etc...I really don't know that the meds cause them or if it is me reading about new drugs and wanting to be on them for kidney and bone issues long term.
For now though I will press forward with Atripla until side effects are obvious.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2016, 02:35:21 pm »

ojo       Hi everyone...I took sustiva for five years, I remember having just three or four nights with vivid dreams, after that, I didn't feel anything, tho, everybody reacts differently to the meds,I still think sustiva is a good med, I stopped it because I had to switch treatment..the only way to know if a medication is going to be good for you is trying it and see what happens, fortunally, sustiva is not like abacavir, which, now, you have to be checkedfor a adverse reaction before you take it...hugs          ojo

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2016, 11:42:18 am »
Hi,
Looking for some advice here. I have recently started Atripla and so far the side affects have been mild. i have  had a few cases of that "drunk" feeling, and i guess it happened when i ate late close to when i took my dosage, or when i drank.
Normally though, i just go to bed an hour or 2 after taking my meds at 10pm.
My problem is that i must fly to Europe which means i will need to take the pill at 5pm (i live in Asia).
I worry because it means i will have to endure a good 5 hours before getting to bed, and a big part of that will be with colleagues from work or family.
I also will have to drive.
Should i just delay taking the pill by 5 hours the first day (compensating the time difference) so that i take the pill at bedtime while in Europe? The trip will be for 8 nights.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2016, 11:45:20 am »
Hi,
Looking for some advice here. I have recently started Atripla and so far the side affects have been mild. i have  had a few cases of that "drunk" feeling, and i guess it happened when i ate late close to when i took my dosage, or when i drank.
Normally though, i just go to bed an hour or 2 after taking my meds at 10pm.
My problem is that i must fly to Europe which means i will need to take the pill at 5pm (i live in Asia).
I worry because it means i will have to endure a good 5 hours before getting to bed, and a big part of that will be with colleagues from work or family.
I also will have to drive.
Should i just delay taking the pill by 5 hours the first day (compensating the time difference) so that i take the pill at bedtime while in Europe? The trip will be for 8 nights.

Atripla has a long half life and stays in your system a long time … it would be ok to just take before bed or even to skip one dose to get back on schedule. It wont hurt a thing.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2016, 08:28:41 pm »
Thanks for the. quick reply JeffG! As a follow-up, does hat mean that i won`t screw things up by switching back to the normal schedule 8 days later?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2016, 08:56:24 pm »
Thanks for the. quick reply JeffG! As a follow-up, does hat mean that i won`t screw things up by switching back to the normal schedule 8 days later?

No … it wont hurt a thing .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Archi

« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2016, 01:14:41 pm »
I have Atripla 11 days. Do not fill nothing wrong. Doctor told can't eat 2-3 hours before pil  . How long need can't eat after this pil ?  Can't eat because why ?  Samtiems I'm we're hungry at this a few hours , or go out with friends.  And all ways take treatment at 10.30 pm.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2016, 02:15:09 pm »
I have Atripla 11 days. Do not fill nothing wrong. Doctor told can't eat 2-3 hours before pil  . How long need can't eat after this pil ?  Can't eat because why ?  Samtiems I'm we're hungry at this a few hours , or go out with friends.  And all ways take treatment at 10.30 pm.

ojo        Hello Archi... some people get less side effects on an empty stomoch, but you can try it with food too, I used to take my med with food and never had any problems, some friend of mine, take it with food too, one even take it in the morning, its easier for him that way...why don't you try take it with food and see how you feel, most likely you will not feel anything because you haven't noticed any side effects...so, the only way you will know how you will feel taking it with food, its trying, I think you will be fine...hugs        ojo
Ah!!!, then, you can go out with your friends

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2016, 06:47:16 pm »
It wont hurt the effectiveness of Atripla but a fatty meal can increase the possibility that you will have the CNS issues listed as possible side efects like vivid dreams … but the med still works great no matter what your diet is.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2016, 09:31:18 pm »

ojo         Hello again Archi, I agree with Jeff, food might increase your side effects, but  still think you should try it, I did it, and I just had three or four nights of vivid dreams, that was it, but, I think, since you haven't had any side effects, you will be fine...best of luck...hugs                                                                     ojo

Offline Archi

« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2016, 11:03:18 pm »
Thank you for answer. I'm hope new therapy be better very soon. And we be negative again :)

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2016, 01:57:52 am »
Hi,
It has been around 3 weeks since my last post in this thread and my opinion re Atripla has changed  - for ME. I have noticed that i am waking more and more foggy, less capable of being "sharp", and easily confused by things that should be fairly simple. It is hard to explain. I have also been a bit moody. Sometimes i just get "snappy" at my wife, or impatient. In general i feel down. My wife thinks it is all in my mind. Of course this makes me upset especially since she is right - the problem i am feeling is IN MY MIND!! :-)
I thought i would sweat it out for at least another month, but i have decided today to see the doc tomorrow and ask him to switch to something else. In Thailand we do not have any other 1 pill regiments, but we do have 2 pill regiments (Complera-like) and i think that is what i will choose. I can`t stand losing what i have always thought was my strongest asset - my sharp, quick, on-top-of-things mind. Luckily i didn`t buy that 6 month supply yet!
I hope i am not being to rash with my decision (maybe the Atripla is to blame for this too!).
Will keep you posted.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2016, 10:14:16 am »
Hi,
It has been around 3 weeks since my last post in this thread and my opinion re Atripla has changed  - for ME. I have noticed that i am waking more and more foggy, less capable of being "sharp", and easily confused by things that should be fairly simple. It is hard to explain. I have also been a bit moody. Sometimes i just get "snappy" at my wife, or impatient. In general i feel down. My wife thinks it is all in my mind. Of course this makes me upset especially since she is right - the problem i am feeling is IN MY MIND!! :-)
I thought i would sweat it out for at least another month, but i have decided today to see the doc tomorrow and ask him to switch to something else. In Thailand we do not have any other 1 pill regiments, but we do have 2 pill regiments (Complera-like) and i think that is what i will choose. I can`t stand losing what i have always thought was my strongest asset - my sharp, quick, on-top-of-things mind. Luckily i didn`t buy that 6 month supply yet!
I hope i am not being to rash with my decision (maybe the Atripla is to blame for this too!).
Will keep you posted.

If it’s the meds and it sounds like it is, you will feel better in a day or two after a med change and then you will know. Its hard to get people to realize it takes abut 5 seconds more of their time to take another pill so getting hung up on a one pill a day regimen is very limiting … Best of luck !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2016, 12:25:09 am »
If it’s the meds and it sounds like it is, you will feel better in a day or two after a med change and then you will know. Its hard to get people to realize it takes abut 5 seconds more of their time to take another pill so getting hung up on a one pill a day regimen is very limiting … Best of luck !
Jeff G, you are so correct and i took your advice. I feel great - it is weird how i was so affected by the efavirenz. Thanks for the great advice (once again!).

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2016, 10:31:02 am »
Jeff G, you are so correct and i took your advice. I feel great - it is weird how i was so affected by the efavirenz. Thanks for the great advice (once again!).

Thanks, I know how you feel. I was preaching to people about how efavirenz can affect some people while I was suffering from it too and didn’t put it all together and realize it was the meds. I also had a doctor who was not happy I wanted to change meds so I stuck with Atripla for a very long time and felt foolish once I was off it for waiting so dang long.

I feel I need to say this again for others to read… If Atripla or Sustiva or its components are working for you and you feel well on it you are not alone … many people tolerate this drug and do quite well on it. It’s a powerful and effective medicine and in some countries its one of the few options people have.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2016, 03:00:49 pm »
I feel I need to say this again for others to read… If Atripla or Sustiva or its components are working for you and you feel well on it you are not alone … many people tolerate this drug and do quite well on it. It’s a powerful and effective medicine and in some countries its one of the few options people have.

ojo        Hello, yes, it is important to let everybody knows that ATRIPLA, SUSTIVA, STOCRIM, maybe not good for some people, but for others, like me, it is a good medication, there are a lot of people in Latin America taking it, they have no other choice, they are doing fine, but some have read this thread and are a bit concerned...if you keep having problems for three or four weeks with ATRIPLA, SUSTIVA, STOCRIM, it is not for you...hugs                                                                                              ojo

Offline Archi

« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2016, 09:47:40 am »
Hello. I'm on Atripla and make test after first month therapy. My numbers do not change. Was 164 now 175. Was 18% now 17%  Was 66000 now 61000. That normal ?

Offline RickDallas

« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2016, 04:27:28 pm »
Thanks for this much needed conversation. My ID doctor switched me to Atripla back in 2007 and I responded well. My dreams were quite cinematic at first, but there definitely was more of a presence or feeling in my brain/head compared to my former medications: AZT/3TC/Crixivan. Since testing positive back in 1985, I have managed to work full-time while completing another Masters and finally a PhD, but there have been side effects. As I read through this Sustiva/Atripla Thread there has been a lot of discussion about cognitive issues and the subtleness of side effects of these drugs. While on Atripla I have experienced cognitive issues, joint/spinal pain, and bilateral tinnitus, and now maybe neuropathy in both my feet. At first, I thought it was the blood pressure and cholesterol medicines that may have caused these side effects, but now it seems possible to argue that Atripla may be the culprit. I have had a 9 year run with Atripla that has kept my HIV in check; however, the side effects are mounting and I am seriously considering changing my medication. I have always appreciated the generous copay assistance card Bristol-Myers Squibb/Gilead has offered through the years, but it may be time to switch medications. It has been extremely frustrating that none of my doctors have gone on record blaming Atripla for the cause any of my side effects. I would argue that if you are responding well to Atripla, please carefully monitor any subtle side effects and be vigilant. Make sure your ID doctor(s) are monitoring as well and be proactive. Hoping someone can confirm my findings.
Best,
Rick 

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2016, 03:01:00 am »
I'm still a bit confused why doctors are still dosing patients with 600mg Sustiva instead of 400mg.  The 2013 WHO Encore1 trial demonstrated non-inferiority between the two doses in treatment naïve patients at 48 weeks.  A follow at 96 weeks confirmed the durability of the results.

If someone were having problems with Atripla, one alternative is to switch to Truvada plus 2 200mg Sustiva capsules. 

I take Epzicom plus 2 200mg Sustiva capsules daily.  The CNS symptoms are greatly reduced with the lower dose of Sustiva.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2016, 02:41:51 pm »
Another logical switch is the one I made.  From Atripla to Truvada/Edurant (2 pills)  (also same as  COMPLERA® only 1 pill.)

I think that the copay cards are the same as Atripla.  (I dont know for certain as I get my meds in Thailand).

I had issues (mental) with the Atripla.  Strage thoughts, moodyness.  And since the switch to edurant, that's all over.

Good luck.

Offline AllSmiles83

« Reply #188 on: April 10, 2016, 11:16:43 am »
After being on Atripla sine it was approved, I think I'm finally going to pick up the phone tomorrow and call my doctor and ask to change to Stribild. I'm tired of being moody and muddling through my days in a fog or feeling hungover etc I also have nights of no sleep at all and have been getting dizzy, uncoordinated and forgetful/confused. One of the biggest eye openers for me has been the fact that I just purchased my first home. I am so excited and anxious to close on the loan and move into it...but I can't even feel those emotions because of the brain cloud I live in. I can physically feel my head just being "wrong". Like something is in my brain preventing clear thinking, MY ALT level is more than double high end and AST is slightly over..(liver stuff) as well. I wonder if that's connected? Does everyone think Stribild is a good choice? I know there is one drug I cannot take because I take  Omeprazole for acid reflux. I'll keep everyone posted. Atripla had worked wonders on my VL and CD4 but I cannot take living like this anymore.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:17 am »
Welcome AllSmiles,
I take Genvoya , nearly the same as Stribild and have tolerated it very well with no side affects. Keep us posted on your med switch.
Congratulations and Good Luck in your new home !

Best, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2016, 11:38:56 am »
hi allsmiles, welcome

i was on atripla, and now take stribild

it's been fine, would recommend it

i'm not a fan of atripla, if you're moody, i'd switch

Offline AllSmiles83

« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2016, 11:47:43 am »
Thank you Zach and Wade. Is Genvoya the same as Stribild just TAF instead of TDF? I've been researching night and day lately on the new drugs that I don't even care to find my notes sheet right now lol.

Offline zach

« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2016, 11:48:11 am »
yep, exactly

Offline AllSmiles83

« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2016, 11:52:13 am »
Ok, thanks. For some reason I didn't think it was on the market yet so I think that as long as our ADAP covers it, it will be Genvoya then.

Offline zach

« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2016, 12:00:47 pm »
good luck

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2016, 12:14:43 pm »
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2016, 01:43:08 pm »
I took Atripla for years and I realized it was making anxiety and depression much much worse. I started Stribild late last year and it's been much better no more brain fog, much more clarity of thought, and no more severe panic attacks or night terrors. Only issue is sometimes I forget to take it because I was so used to taking Atripla right before bed on empty stomach, and it says Stribild should be taken with food, which I usually try to do, but it's still hard to get the new routine of taking it earlier in the day, if I could take it right before bed that would be better and I'd be less likely to miss a dose. But I don't eat right before bed.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline AllSmiles83

« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2016, 07:07:21 pm »
Great to know its been good to you other than the timing/food issue. I'll have to create an alarm or routine

Offline AllSmiles83

« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2016, 05:34:54 pm »
Doctor prescribed me Genvoya today!!he said he was waiting to see how long I'd go before asking but he's been discussing it with all Atripla users. I can't get the Genvoya until my insurance processes the Prior Authorization so a few days. I' actually excited about this switch, and just keeping fingers crossed I don't puke a lot or anything on the Genvoya.. Last week I was at the grocery store and kept pressing all the wrong buttons on the credit card machine.. My friend was like.. Are you ok????? The sustiva needs to go...

Offline AllSmiles83

« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2016, 12:50:20 am »
I'm happy to share that after being off the Atripla and on Genvoya for almost a week I have seen a definite difference in my state of mind. I will mimic what someone said earlier on in the thread.. a veil was lifted! I have been sleeping better, not waking up in a stupor, and haven't experienced a day with a buzzing foggy head since!! I'm so glad I got over my dear of switching and did it. Now we wil see in 3 months if the meds are working on keeping me undetectable with a cd4 in the 1000s. Also, thankfully I did not experience the nausea or any other effect so far. I'm finally able to feel the joy of moving into my new home without a cloud hanging over my head. If anyone has doubts about switching...I highly recommend it!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.