Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:00:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 178
Total: 181

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: What are the chances....  (Read 6618 times)

Offline MachoMan

What are the chances....
« on: September 07, 2006, 12:21:39 pm »
I wanted to take the time to thank you guys for the unbelievable information you have provided me with in your site. I was definatly very ignorant about HIV/AIDS and the many things that go along with that. I am not an HIV+ person. However, I recently and unprotected sex (male to female) , which I have never done. Its safe to say I completely freaked out, and have sought out as much information as possible (how I came upon your sight).  Within a week I have developed HIV-related early symptoms, which has really scared me. I know this could mean any number of things. But it could also point to HIV. I now know thanks to your site, however,that if I am diagnosed later to have HIV that its not the death sentence Ive always believed it to be. I have had an HIV test done and am awaiting the results. I know that the results could be wrong due to the earliness of the test, but I will also have one in 3months and finally in 6months if needed. I am in the military and have been envolved in all the major operations since Sep.11. Nothing has ever scared me as much as not knowing wether or not I am HIV+. If I am to be HIV+ though, I will fight it the way I have always fought all of my fears, head-on. Your website with all of its information has helped out so much. I have two questions however.....the girl I had sex with is know to have numerous relations. What are the odds I may be HIV+?......Also, Would I be seeing these symtoms, (tender testies, tender lymph in right armpit, small fever two degrees high, had sore throat but left within hours, strong tiredness twice) only 7 days after possible infection?  I did also see a doctor, who said I did not have an STD, just a bladdder infection....probably a viral one. Any help would be very appreciated.

Offline lvcurious

Re: What are the chances....
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 01:30:14 pm »
As you will probably hear from others, HIV is not an easy thing to transmit, especially from female to male. I think the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor and I think your test result will be negative.

The one thing I have learned is that STRESS will cause any symptom you want it to if you think about it long enough.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 02:58:50 pm »
Macho,

Symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to hiv infection. Only the appropriate test at the appropriate time will reliably inform you of your hiv status.

You have had a risk and you do need to test. However, hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. The odds are heavily in your favour of testing negative.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, so a negative test at that point would be an excellent indication of your true status. A negative test at six weeks MUST be confirmed at the 12-13 week point.

Try to stay productively busy while you wait to test. The odds are in your favour of testing negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline MachoMan

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 04:49:08 pm »
Thankyou for responding.....Since the time Ive managed to calm down quite a bit. Still a little axious though. Its been about 2 weeks since possible exposure. I guess the only thing that I have  is a minor sore throat. So, I have a new question. What possible std could I get from preforming oral, and what else would be associated with the sore throat. My stomach is also in knots, but im sure its the anxiety. Also, what is a mouth ulcer and what does it look like and feel like?? Thanks.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 05:55:35 pm »
Macho,

The STD that most commonly affects the throat is gonnorhoea. And you can carry that asymptomatically. If your concerned about gonorrhoea or any other STD ask for a full screen.

MtD

Offline MachoMan

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 06:54:50 pm »
Hey guys....just wanted to update.....After 10 days possible exposure, I tested for all stds. All came back negative today. Im now just over two weeks since possible exposure. I havent had any real symptoms.....I have had maybe a swollen lymph or two and just yesterday I had diariah......Just wanted to know, would anxiety be able to cause diariah....my stomach is constanly in knots because of the worrying....Also, if one experiences ARS would they all begin the same day or would some start maybe a few days b4 the others.....or could they b spread out through the 2 - 4 week period.....Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 06:57:41 pm »
Stress does cause diarrhea. ARS symptoms come on all at once and leave all at once.

Offline MachoMan

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 06:54:18 am »
Ill be taking my first test next week, just over 30 days past possible exposure.....How good a result would that be? Also, I guess I never had any symptoms rounding out the first 30 days (except maybe some diarriah), but definitely no fever......Is that a good sign? Im pretty familiar with all the ARS symptoms now as I have been paying extremely close attention to my body, but the one I have a question about is the rash. If one gets a rash, can it be anywhere or some specific points. Also, what does it look like. Thanx again and Ill keep you guys posted on my test results.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 10:00:23 am »
Macho,

Remember when I wrote this?
The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, so a negative test at that point would be an excellent indication of your true status. A negative test at six weeks MUST be confirmed at the 12-13 week point.

You'd be better off waiting for six weeks because the negative result I'm expecting you to get will have much more meaning at the six week point. Why am I expecting a negative? Because hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to man. The chances of you testing negative are very much in your favour.

Forget about symptoms. Symptoms or even the LACK of symptoms means nothing when it comes to hiv and for that reason we do not discuss symptoms. Stop looking at your body through the lens of hiv because you'll be sure to find something to scare yourself with. Knock it off.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline MachoMan

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 12:12:16 pm »
Its been awhile since I last posted. Not too long after I posted I was deployed again to the middleeast. I was unable to get a difinitive test. I had a quatitative PCR test done instead to get my mind some comfort. It came back negative after a month of possible exposure. I was assured that I needed no further testing.

Well, I just got back about two days ago. I immediately had a regular HIV test done so I could know my status for sure. My results came in today as intermediate. Im very scared by this and am not too sure what it means. Im having another test done today. How likely will it be positive?? I mean, I had a negative PCR test. Im very worried. Can someone help me out?? How often do intermediate results appear?? And Why??

The only thing Ive noticed with me are the following. The last few times when Ive become aroused the sac that surrounds the testicles has hurt very bad. Doctor gave me antibiotics and it went away. Also, lately my lower back has been very sore. It almost feels like my kidneys are sore. Ive tested negative for all other STD's twice.

CAn someone please respond and give some words of encouragement......

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 12:32:20 pm »
OK. Words of encouragement:

1) None of your "symptoms" are in any way HIV specific whatsoever.

2) That previous PCR negative is very encouraging. It's a highly sensitive test and sometimes yields false positives because of that. But not false negatives at the point you tested.

3) Indeterminate results happen sometimes and not for bad reasons.

4) The odds against transmission in a single incident such as you described as the insertive partner are way in your favor.

I'm betting on you testing negative. Fingers crossed here. Keep us posted.

Good luck, buddy.

Andy Velez

Offline MachoMan

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 11:42:49 am »
Thanks Andy. I have a question for you or Ann or really any of the experts. I received that intermediate result 5months after the possible exposure. The counselor at Quest assured me that because of the previous PCR test and the fact that its been 5months since possible exposure point towards me testing negative. He said that the indeterminate was very weak so he had to re-do the test. I also had a complete blood count, which came back today. The counselor said everything was well within range. The fact that its been 5months and my blood count is good further points to a negative result in a few days I was told. I was also told that because Im in the military and we are constantly vaccinated (I receive Anthrax shot once every 5months and have also had smallpox shot) could be a reason for the intermediate. What do you guys think? Ill keep you informed...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 01:27:58 pm »
I expect you to continue to test negative. No kidding. Your mind is just having its way with you.

Stay busy for the next few days while you're waiting for your result. I expect things to play out ok for you.
Andy Velez

Offline MachoMan

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 12:48:28 pm »
IM NEGATIVE!!!! ;D

I got my results back today. Elisa/Western Blot and PCR negative after 5months. Man, that indeterminate really had me worried! These past 5months had been so stressful, cant even imagine what I did to my body. I definitely hurt my stomach at times. None of that matters now.....Thank you guys, Ann and Andy, for always providing me with facts and a lil comfort when I needed it. Well, I guess this is it. I wont be on here much anymore. Ill stop and and say hi every now and then. Till then, everyone be careful and use protection......

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 01:06:27 pm »
Congratulations.  Use protection and stay away from here!  <---this is being said in a happy and excited tone!  (you shouldnt need to come back with what you know now!)  There thats better.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.