Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:17:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 198
Total: 199

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: On "Cruse control" ...?  (Read 3960 times)

Offline randym431

On "Cruse control" ...?
« on: August 27, 2006, 06:33:04 am »
I just find it a bit amusing how some doctors term things. Like when I went to undetectable and my cd4 went back over 200, one doctor said I went from aids to non-aids. Non aids? I didnt know if that was to make me feel better or him.
Well, this last checkup/labs last week I am still undetectable and my cd4 is now 450 and % now at 15. So this new doctor they hired said I am now on cruse control with the meds and my counts. Again, even though I'm happy with how things have been going, I dont know if that term "cruse control" is for my sake or his? In a way it tells me, even though they work with hiv people, they still dont really understand or relate to how patients live from day to day with it all. But, I guess thats the way they are.
PS. I never like or trusted cruse control. I never used it. I was afraid I would get too relaxed and move my foot from the brake, and take too long finding it again if something ran out in front of the car. I think I'll keep my foot near the brake on this one.

9/7/05
cd4 83
% 5
VL 500,000

10/15/05
sustive/epizcom

8/21/06
VL <50
cd4 450
% 15

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 06:36:27 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Alain

• I am.
Re: On "Cruse control" ...?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 08:16:33 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:15:11 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 09:30:20 am »
I agree with Alain, poor choice of words, but I think it was the doctor's way of reassuring you that you are doing great.  Looking at your numbers from a year ago to now, you have done really well!

Keep focusing on you and your health.  Exercise and eat right, drink plenty of water, and take  your meds on schedule.

Be well :)
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 09:58:54 am »
Randy...  I guess its how you develop your relationship with your doctor... If he / she is spending time with you and learns how you think and visa verse..  My doc tells me "You Rock Eric".  I say "Kewl"..  But, I also know what my doctor is capable of doing and what he has been doing to help others... So its all perception and communication to me..  Spend more time with your doc...  Don't like him?  Fire him, get another..  But if he is doing his job and knows his stuff, so what about his comm skills...   Just Sayin.. ;)

Love

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 10:25:48 am »
Hello Randy,

I am not sure if I had ever heard that expression. I don't believe it was meant as a negative remark. We all know what cruise control is. Picture it....Your in stop and go traffic,pain in the ass driving,... and finally you hit that open stretch, and then you set cruise control. ( Kind -a like set it and forget it)---Where have I heard that before?.... Then you go on and on, without  having to touch the gas or brake peddle, and enjoy the ride with no traffic around you to hinder you. To me, it sounds as though he means, you are on a nice stretch, with no foreseeable reason to have to hit the "gas or the brake". Everythings going smoothly !!!   I don't know, that's how I translate that statement.

By the way, you are doing great with your numbers !!! Or as I would say. Smooth sailing !!!

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 12:44:37 pm »
For me, HIV don't count as a road trip...

...but, at my clinic, if you have a CD4 above 200 and an undetectable viral load, you can choose not to see the doc but go in for bloods n get your results by email/phone/text then, everything being okay, collect your meds from pharmacy/have them delivered.  My doc expect to see me in 3 yrs, if that.  I speak to the nurse (the wonderful, well-informed Enrico) every 6 months, bit naughty, supposed to be 4.  He is cool n knowledgable, Mr E, but bit pushy about leaving notes saying I must suffer the duck-billed speculum anal sexual health screen indignity every time I visit (presumptious, I say).  :D

- matt

Now playing: The Cardigans, Sick And Tired
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 02:35:52 pm »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 10:38:59 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 06:17:24 pm »
Hello Randy, it is Eldon. Great job with your numbers! Continue to do what you have been doing, get rest, eat a proper diet, get some exercise, drink plenty of fluids, and enjoy your life.

Offline randym431

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 07:10:30 pm »
Thanks all. He is a brand new doctor. They were limping on a staff of two for a long time, then finally hired (or coaxed) two more to move into the area and join staff. He's really young and from good old SF, CA but originally from the midwest. He's cute (not my type) but I can see most other patients drooling over him. Maybe having a much younger doctor care of me is an issue also, like I should be the daddy here.  ;D

BYW, I much better like the term "smooth sailing". Seems much more peaceful. Like with cruse control its like "relax" then suddenly "OMG theres a deer in the road".

One downer to this I did not mention is my Cholesterol has risen quite a bit on this lab. He said to watch the sweets and they would re check in November. Other than that advice, that was it.

Take care everyone!!!
Randy
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.