Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:37:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 222
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Well, that didn't last long.  (Read 7184 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Well, that didn't last long.
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:19:37 pm »
As some may remember, I dropped my Advair inhaler a few weeks back. I was concerned about developing thrush from it.

Today, I got up and felt as though my throat were closing up. I was having much trouble breathing and actually considered going to an emergency room if things didn't improve.

It was probably being in a different city under air conditioning at a hotel that really kicked it off this time, but I had been having problems for four or five days.

I didn't go to the ER and managed to get home without incident. But, I did start the Advair again today.

I noticed the difference, and not for the better, a few days after I stopped using it, but thought it would be OK. I guess I was wrong.

I had to borrow the Advair disc from a friend because I had used all mine and my prescription has run out.,

So, tomorrow I will call the doc, get a new script and remember to repay my friend for his kindness in my hour of need.

Hey, it was worth a shot, right? I guess I'll just stock up on Listerine.

I am still waiting to start Niaspan. I am still having some of the side effects from the statin and I don't want to jinx my chances with the high dosage niacin, so I'll wait a while longer.

Besides, the doc wants me to have bloodwork done to make sure I am returning to normal - or as normal as I ever get!  ;)

So, just an update. I have found I do indeed like to continue breathing.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:25:16 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
Re: Well, that didn't last long.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 10:27:43 pm »
So, just an update. I have found I do indeed like to continue breathing.

As Martha might say, breathing is a good thing.... unless you're into serious breath control scenes <EG>

Keep it up!
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:37:01 pm »
We need your level-headed posts ... so keep that diaphragm pulling in air. -YaKa
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:43:06 pm »
Mark, you poor guy.....you have really been dealing with some sh*t lately haven't you?    As we've said before, you take one med for something...it causes something else.....so you take something for that......and slowly you construct this "house of cards" that you feel may all come tumbling down at any second.....at least that's the way I feel.

Hope you get some better news soon, and some real HELP with these breathing issues.

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 07:43:05 am »
Mark, I don't know how you keep up with it all, I'd be pulling my hair out. Sometimes I'm glad I don't have health insurance, makes burying my head in the sand that much easier.

feel better,
Hal

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 08:19:37 am »
Mark, I'm sorry the break from the Advair didn't last like you'd hoped, but so glad your friend was there for you.    Keep breathing!
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 08:35:12 am »
Mark, you poor guy.....you have really been dealing with some sh*t lately haven't you?    As we've said before, you take one med for something...it causes something else.....so you take something for that......and slowly you construct this "house of cards" that you feel may all come tumbling down at any second.....at least that's the way I feel.

Hope you get some better news soon, and some real HELP with these breathing issues.

hugs,

Alan

I like that description, like a "house of cards." Sometimes it sure feels that way.

I was hoping to cut down on the amount of chemicals I am pumping into my body, But, then again, I had been very short of breath lately. I would answer the phone and people would ask if I had been running.

I had been sitting at my desk.

So, I guess it wasn't to be.

I already feel a bit better and can take a nice, deep breath without much difficulty.

Ah, better living through chemistry. ;)

HUGS,

Mark

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 07:23:24 pm »
Mark,

You gave it a try ! I would most likely do the same thing, if I was in your position. Hope things get better for you soon.

I've also been going through some issues lately. Enough issues, that I called the doctor, the other day, and decided to move my appointment up another week and a half sooner this month.. been dealing with aching chest, and a dry intermittent cough, and a little more than the norm ,in fatigue. I know it's not allergies. The last time I had this cough and chest ache, was back in 2003. ( which was not a very good time for me.) I also think I am going to re-call the doctor, and get a script for Bactrim again, if things don't improve in the next day or two, or get in there, and see him even sooner.

Stay well Mark / Hang in there----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 03:16:35 am »
At least you knew your body and what you needed before it reached critical...

sorry it didn't work out as you hoped for,
ronnie
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 06:04:11 pm »
I don't know where you are/were located, but the air quality/humidity around here has been terrible and I had to use my inhaler too.  I have not had to use it regularly, it's albuterol.  Usually a couple of times a year.  Hope you are feeling better. :)
2000 - seroconverted
2005 - cd4 350, VL 113,000
3/06 - started sustiva/truvada
3/08 - cd4 1,300 VL >50(undet.)

Offline aztecan

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 12:41:14 am »
Hey Ray,

Please be careful. I know what you're alluding to and I know you don't want to go there again. I think the Bactrim is a good idea if things don't clear up.

It is probably a good idea to move that appointment up if you can.

Ronnie, thanks. I think that is one thing we old-timers, aka long-termers, have as an advantage. We know our bodies and we have enough experience to catch things in the bud - at least some of the time.  ;)

Hey OoD, it has been somewhat humid here, at least for us. Humidity has been running about 30 percent, which is more than usual here. But what really did it was sleeping under air conditioning at a hotel.

That, coupled with some heavy pollination in the air, was enough to get it going.

I am feeling better today, which is a relief.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:43:01 am by aztecan »

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 08:01:49 pm »
Don't you hate having to use an inhaler?  I do especially, but at least it does help when you need.  Hang in there Mark. 

Oh, I just noticed you live in New Mexico, I was recently doing some research on what it would be like to live there.  From what I understand although the temperatures do get high, it seems pretty dry most of the time, air quality that is.  Do you like living there?  How is the healthcare and services for people in our situation?  If I do ever move there, it would be at least 4-5 years from now, once my youngest goes off to college.
2000 - seroconverted
2005 - cd4 350, VL 113,000
3/06 - started sustiva/truvada
3/08 - cd4 1,300 VL >50(undet.)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.