Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:10:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 202
Total: 202

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Useful tips if you are robbed  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Jody

Useful tips if you are robbed
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:53:13 pm »
Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to it someday. Maybe we should all take some of his advice! A corporate Attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company.

1. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED."

2.. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card Accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

3.. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home Phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your h ome address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have It printed, anyone can get it.

4.. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to Call and cancel.
Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a Photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad.
We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a Name, address, Social Security number, credit cards. Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my Wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(S) ordered an Expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had A credit line approved to buy a Gateway comp uter, received a PIN number From DMV to change my driving record information online, and more.

But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know: 5.. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card Numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

6.. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit Providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an Investigation (if there ever is one). But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)

7.. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations Immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and also call the Social Security fraud line number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over The Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your Credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by Phone to authorize new credit. By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the Credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks. Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc., has been stolen:

1.) Equifax: 800-525-6285

2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 888-397-3742

3.) Trans Union : 800-680-7289

4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 800-269-0271

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 06:56:17 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Dan J.

Re: Useful tips if you are robbed
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 06:59:37 pm »
Thanks for the useful info, Jody. Did something happen to you?

:-* :-* :-*

Offline Jody

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 08:05:33 am »
No Dan...Just thought I would print it out and pass it along, thanks for asking.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline dad1216

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 08:31:27 am »
One more little tip on checking accounts...don't have your full name printed on the checks, use your initials with you last name, however sign your checks with your full name.  This saved me a lot of problems when my checkbook got stolen, and I had to prove I didn't write the checks.  All my checks had my full signature, and the stolen ones were signed with just the initials and last name.

Bob
23 years HIV+ (Oct 88)
11 years AIDS (March 00)

CD4=83  VL=47,000  (May 2011)
CD4=63  VL=78,470  (Oct 2010)
Prezista..Norvir..Truvada

Offline poz1970

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 03:13:50 pm »
After working for equifax/certegy in australia for a few years, all I can say is NEVER GET A CHEQUE BOOK

We were paid to make people's life's difficult (I took up knitting, coz I found the workplace so destructive and obstructionist)

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline bear60

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 03:35:43 pm »
I listen to NPR a lot and this is what someone said :
She keeps two wallets....and if held up would give up the dummy one first. It contains money and cards but no cards are current and just 10 bucks or something.
My next door neighbor was held up at gunpoint a few weeks ago...she was getting out of a car and her husband didnt even know it had happened. zip zap
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 09:53:31 pm »
She keeps two wallets....and if held up would give up the dummy one first. It contains money and cards but no cards are current and just 10 bucks or something.

After a self-defense course, I started doing this---keeping an extra old wallet in the car. The teacher suggested that if you are accosted on the street, throw your money, or wallet (fake or otherwise) so the robber goes after it. This give you a chance to run which is not guaranteed to you if they open your nearly cash-free wallet and take you at gunpoint so you make your ATM card work.

Offline fearless

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 10:49:34 pm »
And, if someone breaks into your house throw out your old toothbrush immediately and buy a new one.
Nothing worse than receiving a letter in the mail a week later containing a picture of your toothbrush up the burglars butt hole  :o ;D
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 11:40:27 pm »
The burglars in your country are evidently more creative and better time managers than ours. Boy, that's a gross one, fearless. :P

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 11:12:54 am »
And, if someone breaks into your house throw out your old toothbrush immediately and buy a new one.
Nothing worse than receiving a letter in the mail a week later containing a picture of your toothbrush up the burglars butt hole  :o ;D

bizarre yet sensible  :D

After working for equifax/certegy in australia for a few years, all I can say is NEVER GET A CHEQUE BOOK

We were paid to make people's life's difficult (I took up knitting, coz I found the workplace so destructive and obstructionist)

poz: it's sad you were paid to make life hard on customers. i totally expect that here in america, but now you're saying that for australia. ugh. how do people sleep at night? (not you, i mean the people who make the policies)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 11:15:16 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline David_CA

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 11:39:19 am »

Is that why they call us 'Butt Burglars'?   ;)
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 11:50:10 am »
Thanks Jody for the useful information....
although here in Alabama we just shoot them when they try to rob us.

Fearless.....that's halarious!  If I'm ever robbed (my house) I'll definitely throw away my old toothbrush
and any oblong vegetables in my crisper.  God only knows what they'd do with a big cucumber :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.