Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 338
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Breast cup size increase - is it the meds?  (Read 7779 times)

Offline gemini20

Breast cup size increase - is it the meds?
« on: July 02, 2010, 12:56:58 pm »
I’m wondering if any women here who are on anti-retrovirals have experienced their breasts getting bigger as a result of the meds?

I’ve read about fat gain around the belly (and I have that) but I was so convinced that my cup size had increased that I went and got properly measured today. And I’ve gone from a B cup to a DD – that’s after two years back on meds – no wonder I was feeling uncomfortable in my bras!

Now I am currently on a PI only regime that is associated with fat gain but I’ve found little research about breast size increasing. I will be mentioning it to my HIV doc on Monday when I get my latest results but thought I’d ask here if anyone else has noticed this happening.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Emma
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Breast cup size increase - is it the meds?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 01:07:27 pm »
Hi Emma,

As you probably know, I'm not on meds, but several friends of mine have noticed this. They love it! :D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline gemini20

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:13:43 pm »
Well the men in my life have no complaints either!!

Cost me nearly £60 in new bras today though - perhaps I should ask the drug companies for a contribution to the costs!

I was worried at first that it might be something untoward happening but as I found no lumps I guessed it might just be the meds. Glad to know I'm not the only one it's happened to.

Thanks Ann,

Emma

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:34:04 pm »
Emma...you lucky girl you!

I would love to have a larger cup size.  I have only been on meds about a month and nothing is happening in my bra.  Maybe it's something I can look forward to.  ;)

And if the ladies start to get heavy...you can send some my way.  After nursing three kids before I became poz, my little bitties are a sad sight indeed.   :'(

~Katie~
Diagnosed HIV+ April 30, 2010

Current CD4-638  VL-UD  11/2013

Offline angelgaby

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 07:45:22 pm »
hi ..i started meds about four months ago and i have noticed a big difference..have gone up at least a cup size! i find it very uncomfortable ,but hubby loves it..lol

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:33:29 am »
which meds are you ladies on? LOL Mine sure as hell aren't any bigger: (
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 08:41:00 am »
which meds are you ladies on? LOL Mine sure as hell aren't any bigger: (

That's exactly what I was thinking Holly.  I've only been on the meds for a few months....but if there's something out there that will keep my number in check and increase my bust size I want on it!  ;D
~Katie~
Diagnosed HIV+ April 30, 2010

Current CD4-638  VL-UD  11/2013

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 09:58:26 pm »
Holy Hell, Emma!

I'll be restarting in October in the hopefully off chance I have the same icky reaction to the first-time regimen I had last month.

However, if there's a shred of chance I get a snazzier set of girls why I'd say it would sweeten the deal for sure!!

So, are you willing to share your regimen content? Or shall we call it Emma's Secret now inside Victoria's Secret?

Oh, and it wasn't lost on me that not only do you refer to having bigger boobs, but the "men" in your life.  

All the breast, I mean, best.

Em

edited to add: of course, I have to go info shopping SINCE I'M NOT SHOPPING FOR FANCY NEW BRAS!!!
Breast enlargement with protease inhibitor use.
[No authors listed]

Abstract
AIDS: A change in body shape has been associated with protease inhibitor usage. Increased fat in the abdomen, commonly called Crix belly, has been reported in both men and women. Women have also reported breast enlargement, accompanied by redness and tenderness. Symptoms abate when the protease inhibitors are discontinued. The exact cause of this syndrome has not been identified.

PMID: 11367445 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

and older, but seeming relevant

Protease Inhibitor Side Effects
Take People by Surprise

By Alan Huff, D.C.

December 1997/January 1998

This article is part of TheBody.com's archive. Because it contains information that may no longer be accurate, this article should only be considered a historical document.

Ellen, a 42-year-old white female bookkeeper, has been on triple combination therapy for the last 12 months. During this time she has had an undetectable viral load. But, Ellen relates, "The most unusual development has been breast enlargement. My breasts got round, full and plump and they stand out like the dancers in Las Vegas who have had implants." She continues almost with disbelief, "I was a 34A [bra] cup and went to a 36D cup. I went to my doctor who told me that I should go find a boyfriend. We did not realize it was the Crixivan. I should send the drug company the bill for my new bras." Ellen has found an e-mail discussion group, Crix-List@PinkPage.com, instituted so that people can share their experiences on Crixivan (Merck's protease inhibitor indinavir). There are hundreds of entries each month from individuals reporting all manner of possible side effects, including other women like Ellen, who say the changes in their bodies remind them of when they were pregnant.
Over the last year a growing number of patients on protease inhibitor-containing regimens have reported a variety of unusual symptoms. These range from changes in body composition and blood sugar and lipid levels to hemolytic anemia to abnormal bleeding in HIV-positive hemophiliacs. It is clear that many people are experiencing unexpected metabolic changes after starting combination therapy. What is not clear is the exact cause or the potential for permanent damage.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:02:23 pm by emeraldize »

Offline gemini20

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 04:09:42 am »
For those wanting to know the culprit behind my increase to DD - I'm taking Prezista (Darunavir) boosted with Norvir (Ritonavir) ONLY - since I went back on meds in 2007 I have been on a PI only regime; it works well for me but probably not recommended for everyone.

Oh, and it wasn't lost on me that not only do you refer to having bigger boobs, but the "men" in your life. 

Aah, yes I thought that might have slipped by without anyone noticing. Let's just say my list of 'friends with benefits' has increased in line with my breasts!! I knew that investing in a new bed and mattress with the intent to have more sex now I'm in my 40s was not such a bad idea after all.

Also last year I decided to change my approach to disclosing, i.e. I now tell a guy within the first hour of meeting them to get it over and done with; and surprise, surprise, there are men out there who have no problem with that - and two of them have become good friends  ;)

Emma

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 10:39:20 am »
surprise, surprise, there are men out there who have no problem with that

There sure are!

Women too. ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 03:35:45 pm »
"Also last year I decided to change my approach to disclosing, i.e. I now tell a guy within the first hour of meeting them to get it over and done with; and surprise, surprise, there are men out there who have no problem with that - and two of them have become good friends"

I think all of these men must live in the UK.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 10:08:45 am »

I think all of these men must live in the UK.

Might be true - one thing I've noticed while living over here is that the UK is a lot more sex-positive than the US. The "(m)oral majority" in the US are far too vocal when it comes to equating sex with sin and ascribing a punishment aspect to things like hiv.

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.