Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:27:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 620
Total: 620

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Wrestiling with same old demons...  (Read 3915 times)

Offline cflas

Wrestiling with same old demons...
« on: July 17, 2006, 09:45:07 pm »
Hi, guys! 
  I don't want this to be a long post because I know that everyone's real busy but I'm in a bit of a pickle.
  Just a little history:  I've been positive for 13 years (this Wednesday!). Cd4 335.  Viral Load: undetectable.  Married fir 20 yrs.  Bisexual. I work as a social worker full time and do all the normal stuff - dinner, movies, mow the lawn, paint the studio, etc.
  Last Friday night I ran into a friend whom I haven't seen for 15 yrs. We used to room together but never were sexual.  Usually, we out to dinner, plays, the bars,occasionally the baths, etc. etc. etc. Anyway, we were so blown away by accidentally seeing each other that we cancelled all the other plans we each had made for that night (my wife was out of town) and went to dinner together. And while we never divulged, or even intimated at our own HIV status, we did get around to: "Remember _____what's happend to him?" And, "What about____do you hear from him?"  We stopped when the number got to 16.
   And I hurt and ache so badly right now.  I have managed to remain pretty isolated from the world of HIV. I still have my gay friends (mostly women) with whom my wife and I see on birthdays and holidays.  I was pretty active during those taught and drenching 70s and 80s.  I know that one guy I was with died 17 yrs ago 'cause I read about it the New York Times.  And, I know that my last "long term relationship" (which for me usually lasted about 6 months) died of cancer 10 yrs ago.
  I'm embarrassed and guilty and feel shitty because I have managed to isolate myself from my sexuality (only certain people knew)  and I have managed to intellectualize the "national and international perspective on HIV."  There are people here who have been in the middle of this fight for so long and the best I can muster is to advocate for HIV patients at the hospital where I work and serve on their Ethics Committee. Big 'effing deal!
  So, I don't know what I want here.  But I have been wrapped so tightly for so long that I feel as though I'd just like to break out of this cocoon and be free.  (One roomate told me that I was the only person who came out of the closet and ran right back in.)   
  There's a quote from Joan Baez that goes.."For the fact is that my brothers outside are cold and hungry...and while they wait, luxury sours quickly around me like cream in the sun. And my spirit is so troubled and my mind so hindered as I try, in constant conflict to live with myself. And, yet, I remain so eternally attached..."  But I am still such a coward...Anyway, thanks for all you do for all those for whom you care. Chris.

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Wrestiling with same old demons...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 11:16:08 pm »
There are people here who have been in the middle of this fight for so long and the best I can muster is to advocate for HIV patients at the hospital where I work and serve on their Ethics Committee.

Chris: The way I see it, your part in this fight sounds very significant .....My social worker gives me clarifications/explanations, warnings, suggestions. She's also nice. (We love nice! ;D) Once, even, she was able to cut through municipal "red tape" which likely saved daaaaaaays of people giving me "the runaround" ......exactly how she did it I'm not sure, but whatever she did, oh man, bless her, truly

Forgive me for not fully understanding what your exact pickle is-- Could you clarify? I know you mentioned you don't know what you want (I know that feeling -especially lately) .......I hope any heartache you're going through goes away quickly  :-*

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:40:25 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:32:10 pm »
It sounds to me your life is well considered but you wish some things could be different. We can't change the past, of course, but we can use it to learn how to change the future. There's a saying that helps me from time to time when I find my circumstances not to my liking ... "If you want things you've never had, you must do things you've never done."

It's truly amazing what an immense difference the subtle things in life can make when adjusted.

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 03:48:16 pm »
quote....." We stopped when the number got to 16."

Oh man I am tearing up here just when I got to that line.  Its just the same for me only worse...because I really have No friends left from the 70's and 80's who were HIV positive. Our list....we kept a list .....has gone to 40.
   I hear the pain and feel the pain. But you will be ok. Sometimes its good to feel that sadness.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline David_CA

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 04:21:03 pm »
Sometimes just posting helps get those emotions out.  You said you've isolated yourself, and I imagine repressed a lot of feelings, thoughts, and emotions.  Every now and again, they over flow.  For me, putting those kinds of thoughts to paper (or a computer screen) really gets them out in the open where I can deal with them easier.  I doubt you'll ever totally be rid of those feelings, which is a good thing.  After all, you are a person and you feel.  Take care of yourself and do what you need to do to get past this.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.