Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 368
Total: 370

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gold to Shock and Kill  (Read 6714 times)

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
Gold to Shock and Kill
« on: April 21, 2011, 07:47:03 am »
   Gold-based Drug May Pave the Way to a Cure for AIDS

"A gold-based drug already used for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis significantly reduced the reservoir of viral DNA and the population of long-lived HIV-infected memory CD4+ cells in a study conducted in six monkeys, Italian and American researchers report in the journal AIDS.
         However the decrease in viral DNA was transient in animals that received three-drug antiretroviral therapy, and was sustained only in those that received an intensified antiretroviral regimen alongside the gold-based drug auranofin.

Auranofin treatment resulted in:

* Shortening of the lifespan of the longest-lived CD4+ T-cells after one month, and  reduction in the size of this population;
    * No effect on the size of the naïve T-cell population;
    * Stable CD4+ T-cell counts
    * No change in undetectable plasma viral load;
    * A significant reduction in SIV DNA, to below the limits of detection for four weeks in animals treated with three-drug ART, followed by a rebound, but persistent undetectability to eleven weeks in animals that received an ART regimen intensified with darunavir boosted with ritonavir.

Six animals treated with intensified ART also received two three-day cycles of vorinostat at week 10. Vorinostat is an HDAC inhibitor, a type of drug which can stimulate HIV or SIV replication from cells in which the virus is lying dormant. No rebound in viral load occurred in these animals, but in two control animals that did not receive auranofin, viral load rebounded after one cycle, suggesting that in the intensively treated animals the viral reservoir had been substantially depleted.

“As the side effects of this approach in the presence of HIV are as yet largely unexplored”, Dr. Savarino warned in a press release. “I strongly recommend that people living with HIV/AIDS do not buy the drug from uncontrolled sources such as e-Bay and start self-treatment outside highly medicalised settings.”

Full story
                    http://www.aidsmap.com/Gold-based-drug-shows-promise-in-clearing-HIV-reservoir-in-monkey-study/page/1771585/

http://www.hiv-reservoir.net/index.php/Latest-News-on-HIV-Reservoirs-Eradication/gold-based-drug-to-hit-hiv-reservoirs.html

Gold Finger ?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:30:24 am by sam66 »
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline tkeyspet

• TK its me lol
    • http://comsoftlimbe.yolasite.com/
Re: Gold to Shock and Kill
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 05:05:25 am »
Personally this is welcomed although in early stage but there is some strategy attached to for elimination of long live memory cells, therefore reducing the reservoir, i am also interested if the human trials would start soon just to see if the rebound would take up to eight weeks or more, but i am of the view that hiv takes  time to establish itself well over years, so clearing it out might not be done so easily. with that said this is an interesting field they are exploring and i read this daily with hope that it might lead to a cure sooner than later, thanks 8)

Offline littleprince

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 01:29:44 pm »
Even if this doesn’t lead to the cure it seems that there would be benefits from including it in an antiviral regime. If it keeps viral load supressed for extended periods possibly there would be less resistance issues or you wouldn’t need such strict adherence to HAART.  Possibly even controlled drug holidays.

Offline sam66

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:47:28 pm »
Even if this doesn’t lead to the cure it seems that there would be benefits from including it in an antiviral regime.

I agree, even if it does not work out as first hoped for, hopefully there will be some benifit from these findings.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 12:03:52 am »
I read this story here on poz.com.  At the end, they cautioned people from buyin the med off the internet and using it.  With all the poz folks who buy so many supplements, because they believe they will improve their health, I can see many buying this to use as well on their own.  We may start seeing personal stories into this, before human trials even start. 

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 04:54:27 am »
LOL... I already checked into it. 

This drug is some nasty sh*t!  I doubt anyone in their right mind would take this stuff unless they had to. 

Offline sam66

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 05:33:48 am »

“As the side effects of this approach in the presence of HIV are as yet largely unexplored”, Dr. Savarino warned in a press release. “I strongly recommend that people living with HIV/AIDS do not buy the drug from uncontrolled sources such as e-Bay and start self-treatment outside highly medicalised settings.”

I thought this was a bit of a strange warning included in a press release by the researchers, I dont think I can remember a similar warning in other press releases on research work

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 12:55:37 pm »
^^ I thought the same thing. Like what harm can this drug do since it already approved to be used for other purposes. Sounds kinda fishy if you ask me.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 03:32:12 pm »
Don't you all remember the SILVER CURE a few years ago (I think it was for cancer, or maybe HIV) and people turned BLUE!

Well I used a "gold and algae" face mask the other day, since it only cost 99ç in a discount german pharmarcy, I doubt there was any gold in it!  And it didn't cure my aging skin. Oh rats.

At least I'm not bright yellow.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline sam66

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 07:27:39 am »
 I did a bit of research on Auranofin, I do not understand medical speak, but recognised some words on this paper published back in 2001.

Inhibition of interleukin-12 production by auranofin, an anti-rheumatic gold compound, deviates CD4+ T cells from the Th1 to the Th2 pathway

AF
    auranofin

Ag
    antigen

APC
    antigen-presenting cell

Abstract     

Interleukin-12 (IL-12) may play a central role in the development and progression of rheumatoid arthritis by driving the immune response towards T helper 1 (Th1) type responses characterized by high IFN-γ and low IL-4 production. In this study we investigated the effect of auranofin (AF), an anti-rheumatic gold compound, on IL-12 production in mouse macrophages and dendritic cells, and studied whether AF-mediated inhibition of IL-12 production could regulate a cytokine profile of antigen (Ag)-primed CD4+ Th cells.

Treatment with AF significantly inhibited IL-12 production in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated macrophages and also in CD40L-stimulated dendritic cells. AF-pretreated macrophages reduced their ability to induce IFN-γ and increased the ability to induce IL-4 in Ag-primed CD4+ T cells. AF did not influence the cell surface expression of the class II MHC molecule and the costimulatory molecules CD80 and CD86.

Addition of recombinant IL-12 to cultures of AF-pretreated macrophages and CD4+ T cells restored IFN-γ production in Ag-primed CD4+ T cells.

The in vivo administration of AF resulted in the inhibition of IL-12 production by macrophages stimulated in vitro with LPS or heat-killed Listeria monocytogenes (HKL), leading to the inhibition of Th1 cytokine profile (decreased IFN-γ and increased IL-4 production) in Ag-primed CD4+ T cells.

These findings may explain some known effects of AF including anti-rheumatic effects and the inhibition of encephalitogenicity, and point to a possible therapeutic use of AF in the Th1-mediated immune diseases such as autoimmune diseases.

Addition of recombinant IL-12 (rIL-12) to cultures of AF-pretreated macrophages and CD4+ T cells restored the levels of IFN-γ production in CD4+ T cells

To determine whether the reduced ability of AF-pretreated macrophages to induce IFN-γ synthesis in CD4+ T cells was a result of their diminished production of IL-12, we reconstituted cultures of AF-pretreated macrophages and CD4+ T cells with rIL-12 (10 pg ml−1). Figure 5 shows that addition of rIL-12 to cultures of AF-pretreated macrophage and CD4+ T cells significantly increased IFN-γ and reduced IL-4 production to levels seen in untreated control cultures. These results suggest that reduction of IL-12 synthesis by AF-treated macrophages was a major effect that affected the ability of macrophages to regulate cytokine synthesis in CD4+ T cells.

British Journal of Pharmacology  2001

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/sj.bjp.0704298/full

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:31:48 am by sam66 »

Offline littleprince

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 10:43:49 am »
^^ I thought the same thing. Like what harm can this drug do since it already approved to be used for other purposes. Sounds kinda fishy if you ask me.

Yeiks people. Just because a drug is approved does not mean that it is safe to self prescribe. Many approved drugs will still kill you or make you horribly sick if taken incorrectly. Hell, a lot have horrible side effects even when taken correctly but are still prescribed because the side effect is better than the original illness.

The researchers put the warning at the end because they know there will be people crazy enough to buy this drug over the internet and try medicate themselves. They don’t have to give this warning usually because most drugs are in research stages only and you can’t buy them even if you tried.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.