Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:48:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 618
Total: 619

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'ts not good news  (Read 5054 times)

Offline Haafdan

I'ts not good news
« on: July 01, 2014, 01:41:42 pm »
Hello,

First of all, sorry for my bad english. I´ll do my best for making myself clear. Sorry if I'm not able to.
I was diagnosed four weeks and five days ago. I was waiting for the results of a blood test, some strange adenopathies in my neck had appeared a few weeks ago. I asked a friend of mine, who is a doctor, for a blood test in order to know what was happening. An entire week passed before I knew the results. It seemed quite more since I could see how it was completed day by day from my job... except for the HIV test. Sometimes, I thought it would be just a delay, that I would be mocking myself for my fears in a few days, specially when I remembered that I never had had sex without a condom. Some other times, I got really scared and thoughrt something that I have repeated so many times these days: It can't be. It could.
I was in the gym with my bf. I can remember every exact detail of the moment my friend texted me "Can I phone you?". I looked my bf and told him he was asking me if he could pay me a call. He tried to reassure me. The phone began to rang, I was trembling. I leaned to a machine so anybody could see it. I answered the phone and I believe we greeted each other. I don't know for sure. The last thing I remember clearly is the voice of my friend saying "It's not good news". I can even recall his tone. He is a shy person. He probably knew it days before he told me. He just didn't know how to tell me that I had got infected. I don't know how I did get out of there. My bf took me out. I remember I was crying but no tears came out. I could not speak, nor hear. I just acted like a puppet, I walked beside my bf in the street and then I thought I was going to be positive for the rest of my life. It bursted into my mind and I told my boyfriend that I was going to kill myself. And I meant it. Suddenly I was perfectly calm and I was making plans for my own death and my poor bf, the man of my life, was crying, begging me for not doing that. Somehow, we arrived home and since then I have arranged my days so I don't have the time to think about anything. I just feel horrible when I do. I want to live on but just because of my bf. I feel sorry for all the horrible things I've told him these days. I wouldn't know what to do with my life if I didn't have him.
Tomorrow I'm having an appointment with my doctor, the one who is going to decide my treatment. I suppose I'm better that day 1 but I feel that it'll take a lifetime to get used to this. My previous life has ended and even if I think that I can build a new one, it's no use because I feel that I've just been kicked out.

Thank you so much for reading this.

Offline TheDancingCookie

• All will be well.
Re: I'ts not good news
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 07:36:14 pm »
Hi H, I was diagnosed last Friday (five days ago but it feels like months!). Please know that someone else in the world is going through the same things as you. It has helped me to come to these forums and read about others who are recently diagnosed. Knowing it's not just me makes me feel less lonely and less isolated. Thanks for sharing and good luck on your journey.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:39:08 pm »
Welcome to the forums Haafdan !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline vertigo

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:11:21 pm »
Hi Haafdan,

First of all, welcome to the forums and big hugs, love and empathy your way.

Getting an HIV diagnosis is never good news.  It's disorienting and life changing and not what any of us had in mind.  But it's also just a stupid crappy little virus, and the days when it could run rampant in your body are over.  The meds today are excellent, and with treatment you'll find that you can still have much the same life as you had planned.

Thanks for sharing and keep your chin up.  The first few weeks can be pretty rough emotionally, but you will be OK!

Offline Haafdan

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 11:12:45 am »
Thank you for your support. Today I had the appointment with my dr. Life is something that can surprise you to no end. And it can also scare you to no end. I knew the person who was before me with the doctor. His boyfriend came out almost running and crying. There was no need to say what had happened being in the waiting room of an infectious disease department. The doctor was not very kind. Even before I could say I have a partner, even before having the results of the new blood tests (VL, CD4, etc), he said: "There's no need for treatment right now". I know this is false. I fear to infect my bf more than anything else. We've had a little argument and I've decided to change of hospital and doctor. That's not easy in my country. At least you don't have to pay for the treatment... for now. When I was waiting for my BT samples to be taken, I bumped again into these friends. One writing fast in his phone, wearing sunglasses inside the building, the other with his right arm waiting for the needle, just like me. After that, we changed some quick nervous words and said goodbye. A friend texted my bf when we arrived home. He knew I had to go to the dr. but I didn’t told him why. “Now it’s my turn”, he wrote. My bf and I looked each other. I couldn’t be but, again, it was. “My dr. diagnosed me HIV two weeks ago”. My bf started to cry and I phoned him. I tried to make my best to reassure him and I told him the truth. Just trying to help him didn’t seem honest to me. I don’t know what is happening. How many people are infected? When are the governments or WHO going to do something about it? I feel really sad.

Offline NewAdventure1

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 02:29:38 pm »
Sorry for your diagnosis.

I just tested positive at the first of June. It is an overwhelming feeling, but you're not alone.
Best of wishes.
02/2013 Tested Negative
Exposure between 02/2013-10/2013
06/03/2014 Tested Positive
06/06/2014  VL 787 CD4 881 38%
07/08/2014 VL 1756 CD4 813 38%
07/27/2014 Started Complera
09/08/2014 Undetectable VL!
11/2014- Undetectable VL
2/2015-:Undetectable CD4 771 39%
7/2/2015: VL UD
11/16/2015 : VL-UD CD4 804 43%
3/18/2016 : VL- undetectable
7/25/2016 : VL -UD CD4 1104 41%
8/25/2016 Switched from Complera to Odefsey.
9/21/2017 VL- UD CD4 1344 41%
3/2/2018 VL- UD CD4 1411 46%

Offline zach

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 03:21:48 pm »
just saying whats up to... 3 of you! haffdan, sounds nordic, am i near? cookie, seen you before but didn't really bro hug. newadventure, your name alone speaks volumes, you got this

the ride sucks at first
keep your head together
trust the meds
TAKE YOUR MEDS... alarm clock, weekly pill counters, keyfob extra, all that helps
don't have irrational fears about side effects
its ok to experience every fucked up emotion you're going to go through
go slow, steady pace, this is a long run. lot of us burn hot and quick, then melt
some minor things in life change.... but life is still good
live damn you live!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:24:34 pm by zach »

Offline hivtalian

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 04:22:14 pm »
hi new guys,
I was diagnosed last december, and it really sucks...
I started haart beginning of january, with an amazing doctor who trusts early therapy is the best choice (i was diagnosed in the acute phase after an acute retroviral syndrome) and well, still sucks but I'm ok, my life goes on and pills are my best friends, phisically and psychologically.
I had 59 vl and my cd4 were 900 three months ago, after 3 months of therapy.
This morning I had my blood sample. Crossing fingers.

YOu are not alone, just trust a good doctor and take your pills, workout, eat healthy, improve your skills in anything. The only big issue is often for the others, because most don't know how it is today, and they are feared. My biggest issue is thinking about telling my status, and still I havent'had the chance, it will be next step... The way is slow but improving.

Good luck everyone, and keep us posted. hugs.

Offline NewAdventure1

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 04:50:48 pm »
Hey guys.

Thanks for the words of kindness!
02/2013 Tested Negative
Exposure between 02/2013-10/2013
06/03/2014 Tested Positive
06/06/2014  VL 787 CD4 881 38%
07/08/2014 VL 1756 CD4 813 38%
07/27/2014 Started Complera
09/08/2014 Undetectable VL!
11/2014- Undetectable VL
2/2015-:Undetectable CD4 771 39%
7/2/2015: VL UD
11/16/2015 : VL-UD CD4 804 43%
3/18/2016 : VL- undetectable
7/25/2016 : VL -UD CD4 1104 41%
8/25/2016 Switched from Complera to Odefsey.
9/21/2017 VL- UD CD4 1344 41%
3/2/2018 VL- UD CD4 1411 46%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.