Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:47:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 664
Total: 665

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: unprotected sex and meds  (Read 3229 times)

Offline aferstilo

unprotected sex and meds
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:15:30 pm »
Hi everyone as always thanks for all the responses.. i had a question.. My hubby starting atriplia in a week and i was wondering since i dont need meds could i become resistant to that med if we continue having unprotected sex what are the dangerous?
1/13/09 CD4 1129/34.2% - VL 22,000
5/15/09 CD4 1300/33%   -  VL 35,000
11/17/09 CD4 659/ 23%  - VL 150,000
1/18/09  - STarted Atripla
2/18/10 Cd4 774- 30% - Vl 1,600
5/6/10   CD4 866 40% - VL Undetectable

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Re: unprotected sex and meds
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:40:31 pm »
Cases of HIV transmission have been reported while undetectable.
In others words, if you are having differents strains, each of you can become superinfected.
This happen to around 5%-10% of the people having a stable relationship as far as I remember.
Becoming superinfected might represent a risk to progress faster.
When this happen, a big drop might be observed in the CD4 count if I am not wrong.

If one or both partners are on meds, and if one day one of the partner will develop resistances, the others might get them as well.
The STDs can also be transmitted.
You may want to read about the Swiss Statement. It's the same debate.

John

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 08:28:50 am »
afers,

If your partner is not resistant to any meds, he can't pass resistance on to you. My partner is on the same combo and I don't take any meds yet, just like you. We do not use condoms and I have absolutely NO fears about superinfection. (aka re-infection. The super in superinfection is super as in superimposed, not super-duper.)

I don't know where John got his 5-10% figures from - I've NEVER seen those figures in relation to a committed relationship. Please note that John has a disclaimer in his signature line that says "Take my postings with a grain of salt." I take his postings with a whole salt shaker. ::)

As long as you two are in a securely monogamous relationship and you're both poz, there's not a lot of reason to use condoms. If either of you have fuck-buddies outside your relationship, then you run the risk of introducing other, more easily transmitted sexually transmitted infections into the mix. I've said it before in the forums and I'll say it again - poz on poz rocks! ;)

Ann

edited late for a glaring typo
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 08:27:52 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:58:32 pm »
what Ann said

(Ann, Stephen Fry should've really had you in his programme)

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 02:19:00 am »
There are no sudies on this question, only data coming from serodiscordant (one HIV- other HIV+)or seroconcordant (both HIV+) real couples that have managed well when viral loads are undetectable and no condoms are used.

Nevertheless, as far as we can read here and there, this subject is yet to be largely discused... and studies are not likely to be done as easy as we can imagine due to some evident ethical issues involved.

I think that also the kind of sexuality (I mean, concrete practices) and the general health status, treatment adherence and so on play an important role in making this more risky or less risky. I think each couple should evaluate this deeply before taking steps to put condoms out of their sexual lifes.

And, of course, this could work only if, with people other than the partner, as Ann remarks, one is commited to practice only safer sex. Not only a new HIV strand, but a STD, an HepC or any ohter condition could be even a bigger concern than a HIV re-infection or superinfection itself in the mid-long term.

8)

love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 08:39:12 am »
what Ann said

(Ann, Stephen Fry should've really had you in his programme)

- matt

I think my segment with Mr Fry is still lurking on the BBC website somewhere.

It is still there. Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tv_and_radio/hivandme_index.shtml and click on the stories link.

But thanks! ~blush~ They sent me the whole uncut (mmm... uncut... but I digress) interview right after my LTR broke up in Nov 07 and I wasn't in the right head-space to watch it then. I still haven't watched it - must dig it out someday. There's one bit I remember where I told Mr Fry off when he came out with one of those blatantly mythical statements about hiv and straight men - that they MUST have had sex with another man to end up positive. I actually wagged my finger in his face and set him right. ;D I'll have to figure out how to put that bit on You Tube.

Sorry about the brief hijack, aferstilo!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 10:19:21 am »
Alas, link doesn't work for me, Ana.  Says its expired..
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline BM

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 10:50:39 am »
Bits of the Stephen Fry documentary (alas, not all of it) are available on Google Video.

My partner is positive and undetectable, as am I. I am resistant to his drugs. Condoms are a must, right?

Offline mudman8

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 05:05:14 pm »
I talked with my Dr last year after contracting another STD.  I said if I mention condom 9 out of 10 would say no.  Even my most favorite play buddy doesn't want one. sigh!  Dr said if both of you are undetectable there is very little transmission and he understood that BB sex was better.  BUT he said the illegal stuff like speed et al is a natural immune suppressor and their viral loads are raging and mutating.

I think it's up to individuals, you can only go so far at being ascetic.  15 years ago another Dr literally wanted me to be wrapped in latex for ANY contact.  Sorry can't be that extreme.  Lots of my friends gave up drinking etc   I like a glass or two or a pot high and listen to music.

Life is analog

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.