Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:35:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: multifocal lesions on brain--confused  (Read 3661 times)

Offline snoofle

multifocal lesions on brain--confused
« on: May 23, 2012, 05:42:32 pm »
hello all,

i'm in a somewhat dark place again with my boyfriend. just a quick history: in November 2011, he had a huge tumor on the left temporal lobe that was making him paranoid, almost on a bipolar level; he was not recognizing certain people; not remembering things, etc. It was terrible and heart wrenching for us. The initial dx was PML, but after a brain biopsy, came back negative, (and his CD4 was 34) so they sent us home to just aggressively take ARVs. Fast forward to around February 2012, and he was getting a routine scan done and they noticed this big lesion was progressing (not good when you are taking ARVs), so the neurosurgeon said he wanted to go in and said that everything was back on the table regarding a diagnosis. After a 6 hr surgery, they took out the mass b/c it was a granuloma and after testing, the pathologist determined that it was TB and "dead" crypto, so they gave him TB meds, ARVs, and high dose of antifungals.

So today, we just came back from the neurosurgeon again because he's been having headaches and theres this funny swelling on the left side at the bone slightly above the eye (the zygoma area, i think). Since that swelling is not the brain, the neuro said he can't do anything and suggested having the ID doc order a different scan to see if its fluid, or something drainable. One thing the neuro has said is that there are still multiple small multifocal lesions on the brain (but too small for surgery to be done..just must be treated aggressively with ARVs). His current CD4 is >500 with a undetectable VL. But after reading about different brain issues with HIV, I am just so scared that it is some kind of progressive disease that will eventually lead to some terrible dementia or something similar to what we experienced in November. My heart is heavy, b/c I am wondering if I am waiting for that day to come (maybe its years down the road, but still). I feel like searching for a new ID that will try to aggressively combat these lesions..I wonder if they can just go away if they are really treated heavily. He has been on Truvada and Prezista for years, which I believe is one of those drugs that crosses the blood-brain barrier.

Another piece of history is that he was born with his virus 27 years ago. And its just funny how for nearly 21 years, he never exhibited an inkling of a symptom or health issue and then as soon as his mother passed from the virus in 2006, his health just deteriorated to where he has had almost constant issues. Especially head-related issues as he has had crypto twice and now this granuloma of TB and crypto.

I just want him to be happy and healthy, b/c he deserves it after all this pain. So do the rest of us.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: multifocal lesions on brain--confused
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:58:59 pm »
Jeez Snoofle -- that's awful. My thoughts are with you and your boyfriend.

Neurological stuff is not an easy row to hoe and this case shows that even though we can get our CD4 counts back up to a reasonable level, the damage done by the virus can be long lasting.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.