Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:03:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 233
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 231
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Scared about lab results  (Read 4541 times)

Offline mac_amc

Scared about lab results
« on: August 26, 2015, 06:44:41 pm »
Hello. In May I was diagnosed and started treatment with truvada,  isentress and Bactrim. My numbers were bad. Cd4 was about 90 (don't recall the exact number tbh) and vl about 90.000 iirc. The next lab results about a month later were better and showed a rise in cd4 to about 120 and vl at about 50.000. Last week's results have me worried.  Cd4 number is still rising and it's at 197, but the vl is at 200.000. How is that even possible? I have taken the meds religiously every day. Even the doctor asked if I'd been skipping doses. I told him I hadn't but I'm not sure he believed me. He had me go and repeat the lab test for the vl count,  but right now I'm scared that the treatment isn't working. :(

Offline Almost2late

Re: Scared about lab results
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:11:11 pm »
Hi mac, sorry for your dx but welcome.. Your doctor asking if you've been taking your meds makes sense as your vl is going up rather than down.. he has to rule out the possibility that your not adherent.. If you are adherent, it could mean he may need to switch meds.. Has he done a geno test? If not he may have you take one.. Work with your doctor to get this straightened out..

On the bright side your cd4's are improving.. good luck

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 08:28:45 pm »
How are you verifying that you take your pills every day?  Do you you use a pill organizer? 

I'm just asking because my husband used to swear he took his non-HIV medicine every day, but I knew by the count when refilling both of our Rxs that he wasn't; he'd be off by as much as a week some months.  I got him a pill organizer and leave it by his sink since I've always used one and now he has only missed one dose I know of this year.

I'm assuming a resistance test was initially done, even if you did, you probably need a new one now.

Offline mac_amc

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 08:42:26 pm »
Thanks almost2late. Tomorrow I'll check with the doc to see if the new results have arrived. My partner also started treatment at the same time with the same combo and fortunately he's already undetectable. Hoping I can follow soon, but this rise in vl is stressing me out :(. How can it be worse than  it was when I started treatment in May. And it's a huge increase in number too. Hoping it's just something wrong with the lab results, I dunno.

And AusShep I do have a method to remembering and taking the pills so I know for sure. Also, they only give you enough pills to last you a month here, so it' d be easy to spot if there were any pills left over in the bottles.

Thanks guys,  I'm just a little stressed out about this and needed to vent. Feeling kinda frustrated too because I know I did what I was supposed to do.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:59:35 pm »

ojo       Hello mac, welcome...let's wait and see the results, it might even be a mistake when the test was done, cross your fingers...in any event, if your viral load keeps increasing, your doctor will have to switch meds, there are other options, do not worry...I';; be crossing my finger that there was an error in your VL test...keep us posted, you will be fine...big hug for you                    ojo

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 09:08:42 pm »
Mac don't feel bad, it took me a year and a half to reach UD.. I switched meds 3 times but finally did it ;).. and ausshep is right, your doc will probably order a resistance test too.

Offline mac_amc

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 09:30:55 pm »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words and support. I usually read way more than I post but I love you guys and this community.  You've really helped me and my partner to cope with this new situation.

Offline mac_amc

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 06:57:36 pm »
Quick update. Turns out there was some kind of mess up at the lab.  Both me and my partner are undetectable!  So happy right now :)

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 08:21:46 pm »

ojo      Congratulations mac...I'm glad for you two...best wishes...hugs     ojo

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 08:59:28 pm »
Hi Mac, that's Great News !!
Don't get discouraged about your cd4s everyone's are different,
and they don't know how many you had to start with. Most important is
your viral load is UD !
Be Well ,Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.