Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:05:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Test positive today  (Read 8708 times)

Offline Keepstrong

Test positive today
« on: March 28, 2013, 03:32:43 pm »
Hi. I'm new to this forum. Just came across it today after finding out I'm positive :(

As ppl could imagine its not nice to hear the news. I'm feeling ok and positive about it, not going to let it beat me. It was about 3 month ago I had unprotected anal sex.

They have done 1 blood test (pos) done another one today to check 100% if correct will find out tomorrow. More than likely defiantly got it.

I'm rarely ever ill maybe once a year so I'm kind of thinking I have strong immune system which I hope helps. Iv been reading alot about hiv today and really want to find out what my viral load levels are. Which hopefully is tomorrow.

So just saying hi :) and any questions or any advice anyone has I'm more than happy to take in.

Offline roy100

Re: Test positive today
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 04:53:27 pm »
Sorry to hear about the sad news.

But  this came to my mind; some people that start  treatment shortly after been infected , can start treatment right away, by doing so, taking the AR cocktail for 3 or 4 years,  you could not need lifetime medication, ( effective cure, meaning that you would still have the virus in your blood, but your body can control it , and staying away from lifetime treatment.

Please do your research on this article:

http://www.poz.com/articles/French_cure_761_23646.shtml

In the article they say within 2 months of exposure. The 3 months exposure  you mention might be short enough time to do something.

Again sorry to hear about your case, but I could not help telling you about this article, it might help.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:55:39 pm by roy100 »
Diagnosed 18Th March 2010
March 30Th VL +100,000 CD4 46
CD8T  575 CD8 %60.6
On Truvada and Kaletra. . Remeron 15mg  and150 mg  wellbutrin xl for depression. Clonazepan 2 mg to sleep. Omeprazole 20  once a day.
July 17 2010 Vl 362 CD4 155, 6.4 %
CD8T suppressors 1482 CD8% 61.1
 Nov 16 2010: V l 937 CD4 188,10%
CD8T Suppresors 997 CD8%55.8
August 15th 2011 Vl UD, less than 40.
CD4:543(26.7%) CD8:887 (43.6 %) Ratio .61
Jan 14th,2012 ,less than 40.
CD4:478 (24.4%) CD8: 962 (49.1%) Ratio.50
June 2012 CD4 599, CD8 856 UD
Oct 2013 CD 702, CD 843 UD Ratio:.87

Offline Keepstrong

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:19:41 pm »
Appreciate the reply.

Hopefully this can be the case. Thanks for the article I will mention this studies to my doctor : )

Offline gadawg1979

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:42:57 pm »
Just finished my first year on Meds... breathe in Breathe out and move on.. My life is almost back to normal.  This is a great place for information.
Diagnosed March 2012
Initial CD4- 156 VL 200K (started Complera) Genotype test no resistance
First labs on meds CD4- 246 VL 2K Taken after 30 days on Complera
90 Day labs VL 306 No CD4 Drawn
8/21/2012 CD4 474 VL Undetectable (40) %20.6
11/27/2012 CD 4 522 VL Undetectable (40)
2/14/2013 CD 4 464 VL Undetecable (30) 19.6%
6/8/3013 CD 4 528 VL Undetectable (30)
9/24/2013 CD 4 546 VL Undetectable (40)
1/30/2014 CD4 560 VL Undetectable (40) 22 %
6/19/2014 CD4 584 Vl Undetecable (30)

Offline mike88

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:08:42 pm »
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis,

You should know this to be true and that is that you are not alone out there. When I was first diagnosed I did some research and found a health organization that specialized in helping individuals who are newly diagnosed. I happened to live in New Hampshire and the organization I went to was called GMAP which stands for the Greater Manchester Aids Project. When I went there I was introduced to the most caring and professional individuals I have ever met. They helped me navigate through the landscape of HIV services that I would have found impossible to figure out due to my mental state of mind at that time.
If your tests do come back that you are HIV positive, it is not the end of your world, it just means that you will need to make some decisions about managing your health, probably more so than you are dong right now. Also if you are newly infected you have time to make some informed decisions about what you feel is best for you in the long term.
Take care and good luck.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:11:42 pm by mike88 »

Offline Keepstrong

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 01:51:21 am »
Just finished my first year on Meds... breathe in Breathe out and move on.. My life is almost back to normal.  This is a great place for information.

Good to hear this. Hopefully I can get on this track.

Thanks mike88, unsure about attending something like that just now, maybe later : )

Offline Keepstrong

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 08:48:37 pm »
Hey.

Thought I'd give update. Iv pretty much got this virus, c**t!!! I gave more blood samples today to get my cd4 and viral levels checked,find out in coming weeks what I'm sitting at :). Hope all goes smoothly.

If spoken to health advisor and asked a few questions but a couple i forgotten at the time.

How does being infected affect getting tattoos?
I'm feeling perfectly fine atm and it's been 3 month since infection, would that mean my viral load is likely to be low?

Thanks
Graham

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 12:07:53 am »
Well, sorry to have that news confirmed, but it's great that you are in care.

As for tattoos, I got a tat about eight years ago, when I had been positive for 12 years. It's decent to disclose to the artist, but anyone who uses universal precautions has absolutely nothing to worry about.

As for how you feel and viral load, some people feel run down with a huge viral load. Others do not. Many people DO say that when they decide to start meds, they begin to have more energy.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 10:57:14 pm »
Welcome to the forums, even though we always say we are sorry you have to be here.  It is good you learned your status now and are in care.

I think it is a good sign that you're able to think about things like tattoos.  Some may find it odd to be thinking about that so soon, but life has to go on.  For many, thinking of anything besides the virus doesn't happen for a while.  It appears you're dealing with this as best as can be expected. 

Ted

Offline gadawg1979

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 12:11:50 am »
Well, sorry to have that news confirmed, but it's great that you are in care.

As for tattoos, I got a tat about eight years ago, when I had been positive for 12 years. It's decent to disclose to the artist, but anyone who uses universal precautions has absolutely nothing to worry about.

As for how you feel and viral load, some people feel run down with a huge viral load. Others do not. Many people DO say that when they decide to start meds, they begin to have more energy.
Did u use someone in atl. Did u disclose? Looking for another

As for energy mine has gotten much better since meds
Diagnosed March 2012
Initial CD4- 156 VL 200K (started Complera) Genotype test no resistance
First labs on meds CD4- 246 VL 2K Taken after 30 days on Complera
90 Day labs VL 306 No CD4 Drawn
8/21/2012 CD4 474 VL Undetectable (40) %20.6
11/27/2012 CD 4 522 VL Undetectable (40)
2/14/2013 CD 4 464 VL Undetecable (30) 19.6%
6/8/3013 CD 4 528 VL Undetectable (30)
9/24/2013 CD 4 546 VL Undetectable (40)
1/30/2014 CD4 560 VL Undetectable (40) 22 %
6/19/2014 CD4 584 Vl Undetecable (30)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 01:06:38 am »
Did u use someone in atl. Did u disclose? Looking for another

As for energy mine has gotten much better since meds

I used someone in New Orleans, and I disclosed. But living in Atlanta with it's significant HIV population, why not just get one of the local bar rags and see if there's a gay/poz friendly tat artist near you? Or  just pick up the phone and cal around. Most if not all of them will have no problems - and any that do, you;d be smart to avoid for serious Hep reasons, as they clearly wither do not understand or do not follow standard safety protocol.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 03:50:36 am »

If spoken to health advisor and asked a few questions but a couple i forgotten at the time.

Hi Graham, welcome to the forums.

You should get yourself a small notebook. Every time you think of a question for your doctor or health advisor, write it down and leave a space for the answer.

Make sure you take the notebook with you to your appointments - get a small one that will fit in a pocket.

And make sure you write the answers down, even if it's just a few words to jog your memory. It's amazing how easy it is to forget what was said once you walk out the office/clinic door.

I still have a Q&A notebook for my appointments and I've been at this for quite a while now.

I also have a full record of my CD4s and VL numbers in my notebook. It often helps both you and your doctor to have the whole record written down in one place.

Hang in there - it gets better. It really does.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Keepstrong

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 04:01:32 pm »
Hi ppl.

Thanks for the answers and positive minds :).

That's good idea Ann ill get on to that.

I have seemed to notice my pupils are larger than normal lol. Is this anything to do with hiv or am I just freaking out haha.

Does anyone travel overseas for work with hiv? How does it affect getting visa? My work are currently trying to obtain American working visa. Any knowledge on this anyone?

Thanks
Keepstrong

Offline songs06

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:48 pm »
Hi ppl.

Thanks for the answers and positive minds :).

That's good idea Ann ill get on to that.

I have seemed to notice my pupils are larger than normal lol. Is this anything to do with hiv or am I just freaking out haha.

Does anyone travel overseas for work with hiv? How does it affect getting visa? My work are currently trying to obtain American working visa. Any knowledge on this anyone?

Thanks
Keepstrong

usa don't check for hiv for visa anymore. you can check this site for other countries as well:

http://www.hivrestrictions.org/

also, larger pupils are not caused by HIV, i am sure about it. but you know, pupils might get larger at dark, or in darker areas. also some other meds might get pupils larger. you can check here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mydriasis

but i think it is just your mirror is in a dark room :)
18.03.2012 - infected.
14.04.2012 - first positive elisa - UD western blot
30.04.2012 - western blot confirmation positive
03.05.2012 - first lab- CD4: 256   VL: 2.3 M
01.06.2012 - sec lab- CD4: 390 (end of ARS)
01.07.2012 - third lab- CD4: 388 VL: 150.000
11.07.2012 - Started Truvada + Kaletra
04.08.2012 - CD4: 401 VL: 3800
30.09.2012 - CD4: 510 VL: 709
04.01.2013 - CD4: 650 VL: UD! (aka 20)
01.04.2013 - CD4: 460 VL: UD
09.2013 - CD4: 510
02.2014 - CD4: 490

Offline Keepstrong

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 07:10:34 am »
Hey

I haven't posted in couple weeks. Just been getting on with things :).

My VL was 83k from blood test on 29/3/13

Just got my cd4 level at 358 from test on 15/4/13.

Cd4 seems low but I feel well and truly good. Is 358 okay count? I'm just a lil confused y I feel fine at that level.

Thanks
Graham

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.