Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:44:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 644
Total: 644

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Immigration targets gay couples  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Dachshund

Immigration targets gay couples
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:05:43 am »
I guess we're just use to being second class citizens.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_7833870

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:03:07 am by Dachshund »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Immigration targets gay couples
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 09:49:29 am »
There are times when the United States of America, my country, simply deserves scorn, ridicule and to be made a laughing stock.

This is one of them.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 10:37:25 am »
The comments and discussion following the article are kind of … erm … well, to be honest, I am sort of lost for words.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:51:50 am »
The comments and discussion following the article are kind of … erm … well, to be honest, I am sort of lost for words.

Oh, Lordy...I didn't check those out.  I'll take a peek, but I have an idea already.  The comments and discussions sections like that usually have that effect on me.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:56:40 am »
vokz, i agree completely. when i read the article i was saddened, when i read the comments i was horrified. what a disgusting group of people. if there is a god, and if there is a judgement day, i look forward to them all being condemned to eternal suffering for their hatred and bigotry. i feel sorry for any forum member who lives in denver if this is what they have to contend with in their daily lives.
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:28:04 am »
Sodomites + illegal aliens.  Is there anything more combustible?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 11:59:42 am »
vokz, i agree completely. when i read the article i was saddened, when i read the comments i was horrified. what a disgusting group of people. if there is a god, and if there is a judgement day, i look forward to them all being condemned to eternal suffering for their hatred and bigotry. i feel sorry for any forum member who lives in denver if this is what they have to contend with in their daily lives.

HA!  Take heart, fellow High Fivers!  I got hooked and read the whole dang thing...every rotten word of it.  And the upshot is that the ones with hearts and brains ran the bullies off the playground.  Especially those loathesome so-called Christians who kept throwing scripture around to rebuke the homosexuals.  Oh, they thought they had it locked and pounded out post after post...but eventually scripture got thrown right back at them and they tucked tail and ran.

Yikes.  I used to have this image of Denver as sort of an inviting place to be, but now my perception of it has really been sideswiped.  I shouldn't really let it permanently taint my feelings about the town, though.  I've read enough to know that that same type of idiotic vitriol can be found anywhere on a map.

Stupidity certainly knows no borders.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 01:04:15 pm »
I am completely repulsed by what the people in Denver had to say.  But, like Tim pointed out, that can be found anywhere.  I live in a terribly right-winged state (Indiana).  When I wrote a letter to the editor in our local newspaper supporting equal employment rights for GLBT people, I got some hate mail.  And of course the hate mail was from "Christian" people.  Egads!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 01:15:47 pm »
Thunter, it would be easy to educate stupid people about gays, but some of the people who replied are bigots plain and simple.  Before we moved, Stephen and I had been being gay bashed by a neighborhood 14 year-old kid and it got to the point where we had to get a restraining order.  Sadly that was no help, because we could not get the police to enforce it because we were deemed disruptive (read gay in straight part of town) to the neighbors.  Funny they loved us during all the holidays, especially Halloween when our gayness really took flight.  So yes, stupid is curable, bigotry not so much so.

The primary reason that I married Stephen (other than love) was to take him to a country that viewed ALL of her citizens as the same class.  If we stayed in the states we would never have the piece of mind that our legal recognition provides us in Canada.  US policy will slowly change as more minorities enter Congress and replace all those so-called Christian white men who have perfected the art of obfuscation.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 07:49:04 pm »
You're right Joe.  It's more than just stupidity.

Glad to see you posted in this thread, as I had you two in mind while reading the article in the OP.

(Oh, and congratulations on all that also.   ;))
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 01:59:00 am »
I guess we're just use to being second class citizens.

Hmmm, I'm use to that on a daily...Try being black/puerto rican and a female.....Not trying to be racial just being real..... :-\
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline 404error

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 04:48:32 am »
I found the article was overlapping sepeate issues and creating a "who came first" kinda problem.  The issue here isn't with immigration law, it's with amerikkkas refusal to recognize same sex unions as legitimate partnerships.  Were gays and lesbians able to legally marry then it would be reasonable to assume that they would be eligible to apply via the same channels as hetero couples. Simply the matter of a few hundred dollars and six months of bureaucratic hoops to jump through.  "Immigration" (as a hot topic in an election year) just helps to sensationalize a headline and sell more copies of a paper.  I really don't understand how same sex marriages aren't already legal in the US.  With divorce rates being what they are, in a country where the citizens love lawyers and lawsuits, it's just a matter of time before the capitalists running the show realize they're missing out on a lot of money. 

A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 05:45:33 am »
I'm tired of the lecherous stares of middle aged gay men who tug at their crotch while staring me down like a piece of fresh cooked meat when they haven't eaten in days.  I'm also tired of hearing more about white priviledge in America than I am about services that are going to be offered to effectively service those of the heterosexual population.  Choose your causes people!!  Race issues in America, while they do exist and are a problem, are not your problem when you're on the clock.  You are working at an AIDS organization in Canada that is meant to service those in the area.  Keep the social crusading to your free time.

How far you've advanced Andre.

MtD

Offline 404error

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 05:55:43 am »
I stand by the entire post you pulled that quote from.  In regards to race relations in America I know not everyone is equal.  If overcoming those problems is your priority then go to work for some Canadian based non profit who fights for racial equality in America.  When you "work" at an Aids Service Organization in Canada, you're "being paid" to provide services of an AIDS related manner to Canadians.  Not to spend non profit time and non profit money on issues you aren't being funded to fight against. 

Oh, and you conveniently missed the opening sentence from the entire paragraph you inserted there.  Here you go.

"I choose to find support only online because women are segregated in Canada and I'm tired of being harassed by gay men."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 05:58:22 am by 404error »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 06:01:07 am »
No, Andre I provided a link to your entire post. You know, in it's entirety.

Here's another one:

I willingly chose to have unprotected sex with strange girls from the bar.  My decision, my action, my responsibility.  I blame only myself but accept that it was my decision and must learn to live with it.

I'm not bitter towards her, hell, she might not have even known of her status, plus we were completely wrecked. (not that it's an excuse)  If I saw her again, I'd totally want to sleep with her because she was hot and the sex was pretty good.

The only thing I hate or am perhaps bitter about is the lack of services catering to the heterosexual community.  Not all heterosexual white males are born into this world of white priviledge I keep hearing; natives, blacks, feminists, gays and lesbians go on and on about.

Link provided.

MtD

Offline 404error

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 06:38:54 am »
Wow, another quote that has nothing to do with the topic.  I'm just putting this out there, a C minus student?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.