Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:32:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 609
Total: 612

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: hiv rash??  (Read 23579 times)

Offline chrissylynn2587

hiv rash??
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:31:12 am »
I had a rash in October and again around Christmas, I started experiencing sweats, a tiny bit of vomiting and a tiny bit of diarrhea..I was scratching like crazy and the more I scratched the more it spread, it was on my arms and legs. I took a benadryl pill and within an hour it was gone
Could this have been an HIV rash?

In august of 2009 I became sick, I could not eat anything and was all shaky, I went to the ER and they gave me a pill and after that I was fine but exactly a year later this came back again, again I go to the ER the only thing they did was test for dehydration which I was dehydrated, they gave me a pill and I was fine after that. I have noticed this winter I have been getting sick alot, I am the type to never get sick and all a sudden I am getting sick left and right..

I did have marks on my legs in 2009 but my dad said it was not a rash it was chigger bites, I had chickens and ducks at the times and when I started spraying myself marks stopped appearing and I had them for like 3 months I guess due to scratching so much, everything I tried did not work. I have just been so paranoid that I have HIV since then, some of my friends think I am being stupid because in 2009 I had been with my then BF for 8 months before getting sick and I still talk to him now and my recent ex we were together 7 months and lived together and we still talk, my friends said if someone gave you HIV they doubt they would keep contact with you or move in with you and spend thousands of dollars on me and my son which my recent ex did do, he even was trying to buy me a car
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 01:02:03 am by chrissylynn2587 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: hiv rash??
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 08:52:19 am »
Nothing you are reporting symptomatically is HIV specific. But then you also need to know that neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms is ever the way to know your HIV status accurately.

The rash associated with ARS is not itchy. It is flat, appear for a couple of weeks on arms and torso and then disappears permanently. It does not come and go.

If you had unprotected intercourse with your former partners then you were potentially at risk. The only time the use of condoms can be dispensed with is if you are in a securely monogamous situation in which both partners test negative at a reliable point. Otherwise condoms are a must everytime for vaginal and anal intercourse. It doesn't matter what you think you know about the other person's history or how great they look. Use a condom everytime.

All of those other details you are throwing into the mix about gifts and such are totally irrelevant.

So bottom line, if you had unprotected intercourse, you need to get tested at 13 weeks past the recent such incident to reliably know your HIV status. Everything else is guesswork and HIV status is not something to guess about.
Andy Velez

Offline chrissylynn2587

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:39:10 am »
If I understood you correctly I probably do not have it as I have had a rash twice that itches and spreads when scratched and went away as soon as I took benadryl..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 09:45:15 am »
That's right. A rash such as you have described which responds to benadryl would not be ARS.

BUT if you have had unprotected intercourse outside of a secure and HIV tested relationship then you have been at risk and need to get tested.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 09:46:29 am »
Chris,

No, your rash was nothing like the rash that sometimes accompanies hiv seroconversion. It doesn't itch and Benadryl has no effect on it whatsoever.

You need to test, as Andy said, three months after your last incident of unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

You also need to learn from this and insist on condoms until you've tested together. Here's what you need to know in order to remain hiv negative:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline chrissylynn2587

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 09:54:25 am »
thanks, I am really relieved , the rash is what really had me thinking I had HIV . I do plan on going to get tested when I can, I live in a very small town and they do not have a free clinic, the nearest one is 30 minutes away in another town but they will not take you unless you live in that area. I filled out some job applications yesterday with benefits such as medical insurance so hopefully I get one of those so I can go get test done.

I know CVS has one of those HIV test that you prick your finger and in like 20 minutes it tells you if you have HIV or not, are these accurate?

I do not think I ever have to worry about catching anything, I am not having sex until marriage. When you have sex you put yourself out there and at risk and it is really not worth catching something, I actually already have HSV. If a guy really cares about me sex will not matter and he wont care if he has to wait
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:58:45 am by chrissylynn2587 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 10:13:03 am »
There are no HIV tests approved in the US for Home Use. The only approved test is the Home Access which is a collection kit and must be sent into the company to get analyzed.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 10:40:40 am »
Chris,

If you've never had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse - and it's unclear whether or not you have - then you have not been at risk for hiv infection.

These are the risks for hiv infection:

Unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

Sharing drug injecting equipment.

Mother to child during pregnancy or during birth.

Mother to child while breastfeeding.

And that's it. So unless you've done either of the first two, you have not been at risk.

If you change your mind about having intercourse in the future, just make sure your fella is wearing a condom. It really is that simple.

If you have been at risk, as Rodney said, the only approved home testing kit is Home Access. Do not use one of the diagnose-it-yourself rapid tests as they are prone to false positive results.

You can also find a testing center near you (there may be one you don't know about) by putting your zip code into POZ.com's Health Services Directory.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.