Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:09:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 220
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Chick-Fil-A = Antigay (No Surprise there - just confirmation)  (Read 52110 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Chick-Fil-A = Antigay (No Surprise there - just confirmation)
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2012, 03:32:54 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUmoTOujJ7Q&feature=youtu.be
it's such a sad day when even gays don't realize that it's not about the words but about the money, the discrimination, and the religious intolerance. :'(
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2012, 04:01:15 pm »
it's such a sad day when even gays don't realize that it's not about the words but about the money, the discrimination, and the religious intolerance. :'(

I agree ... also its amusing to me to how people can go on FB and post things that are divisive and then be angered when people reply with an opposing view . They think we are going to just lay down and keep quite .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:51 pm »
Randy Rainbow Works at Chick-fil-A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZLFjbqDxQ

Chicken Pride Day!

heheheahahahahahaehehehehehe~gasp~hehehehheheheheehahahhahahahaha~splutter~choke~sigh~heh.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2012, 04:44:29 pm »

I think it is about the words. Even if Chick-Fil-A had no cases of discrimination and no donations to anti-gay organizations people who support gay marriage wouldn't like hearing Mr. Cathy's personal opinions opposing gay marriage and would avoid eating at his restaurants. If your neighbor, who has no political or financial clout, put a sign in his yard saying "I hate gays" I doubt your initial reaction would be "Oh, I really respect your right to free speech and look forward to hearing more of your insights." You would perceive it as an attack and react defensively, and that is not a bad thing. The guy in the video isn't focused on the attack to his civil liberties by Chick-Fil-A (which is a rather abstract threat) but the perceived attack on his behavior by gay activists (which has immediacy). He heard the message "You can't do that", "that" being eat at Chick-Fil-A. His response is defensive: "No one is going to stop me from eating there" and then tries to support that reaction by minimizing and rationalizing: lots of people don't like gay marriage; everyone says "crazy" things and their opinions don't matter;  Chick-Fil-A makes good meals. I think his reaction is understandable when put in this context.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:48:20 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2012, 04:50:19 pm »
I think it is about the words. Even if Chick-Fil-A had no cases of discrimination and no donations to anti-gay organizations people who support gay marriage wouldn't like hearing Mr. Cathy's personal opinions opposing gay marriage and would avoid eating at his restaurants. If your neighbor, who has no political or financial clout, put a sign in his yard saying "I hate gays" I doubt your initial reaction would be "Oh, I really respect your right to free speech and look forward to hearing more of your insights." You would perceive it as an attack and react defensively, and that is not a bad thing. The guy in the video isn't focused on the attack to his civil liberties by Chick-Fil-A (which is a rather abstract threat) but the perceived attack on his behavior by gay activists (which has immediacy). He heard the message "You can't do that", "that" being eat at Chick-Fil-A. His response is defensive: "No one is going to stop me from eating there" and then tries to support that reaction by minimizing and rationalizing: lots of people don't like gay marriage; everyone says "crazy" things and their opinions don't matter;  Chick-Fil-A makes good meals. I think his reaction is understandable when put in this context.

He even felt the need to expound
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2012, 05:36:13 pm »
I agree ... also its amusing to me to how people can go on FB and post things that are divisive and then be angered when people reply with an opposing view . They think we are going to just lay down and keep quite .   

LOL. A lesbian friend of mine de-friended her mother yesterday and then deactivated her FB account, but first she let loose this verbal tirade so that she would see it for 24 hours.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2012, 05:44:20 pm »
 :)
He even felt the need to expound

"Y'all done made me pull my hair back and stuff." ;D

I almost snorted my drink when he said the fries may not always be hot but it's still good.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »
LOL. A lesbian friend of mine de-friended her mother yesterday and then deactivated her FB account, but first she let loose this verbal tirade so that she would see it for 24 hours.

I'm leaning towards losing the FB account myself .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2012, 06:46:14 pm »
Now now... running away from the hate we were just told is absolutely not the way to deal with such things!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2012, 07:21:08 pm »
Now now... running away from the hate we were just told is absolutely not the way to deal with such things!

Its true ... but when your own 72 year old mom attacks you for standing on your principles its called turning the other cheek not running away .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2012, 07:34:59 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUmoTOujJ7Q&feature=youtu.be

"The waffle fries is BANGIN it's so good it's sickening"

somebody needs slap that queen for eating there  ::) 
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2012, 08:36:02 pm »
This was probably the moment the "tea baggers" were waiting for.  something to sink their teeth into so to make the country listen and have a party at our expense.  the new news media loves this kind of crap so to harp on it and get as much fire as they can from angry people and protest.  well played media monkeys, you got the fire, now what's next.  the only logical step is that either this will last up to the election, not a chance, or something else aimed at any group will cause more protest or problems. 

Hell, i got enough homohate on my sims 3 games when my gay married couple are given sneers or curious looks from some onlookers.  what's that about?  lol

my point is that this was planned and is just bull the way hate is toss around like no buddies business.  of course my deepest wish is for either chick fil a are force to take back its comments or loose business for it's foul nature.  however, not on purpose, it helped put a topic on the map that is strongly talked about. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2012, 08:39:36 pm »
"The waffle fries is BANGIN it's so good it's sickening"

somebody needs slap that queen for eating there  ::)
some people just wants to be notice....

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2012, 08:43:44 pm »
the only logical step is that either this will last up to the election, not a chance, or something else aimed at any group will cause more protest or problems. 
a friend pointed out yesterday how the Dems adding gay marriage to their party platform makes gay marriage (once again) the rallying point for another election. This CFA situation is just the first salvo in that battle. my friend also believes Obama will probably lose, not because of wars, the economy, health care or contraception; but because of gay marriage.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2012, 08:59:58 pm »
a friend pointed out yesterday how the Dems adding gay marriage to their party platform makes gay marriage (once again) the rallying point for another election. This CFA situation is just the first salvo in that battle. my friend also believes Obama will probably lose, not because of wars, the economy, health care or contraception; but because of gay marriage.
sometimes we win, sometimes we lose, but it aint over till it is over...

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2012, 12:15:20 pm »
my friend also believes Obama will probably lose, not because of wars, the economy, health care or contraception; but because of gay marriage.
riiiiiiiiiiiiight... like the anti-gay marriage folks were going to vote for Obama in the first place

EXCELLENT LOGIC!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2012, 01:16:09 pm »
EXCELLENT LOGIC!
actually recent elections in the past (2010, the Bush elections, etc) have shown this (gay marriage) to be a contributing factor in the elections. The debate over gay marriage seems to rile up the anti-gay marriage group into being more active and getting more citizens out to the polls to vote. It's clearly a dog whistle to the right's base group. Many times in state and federal elections, the specter of gay marriage and/or rights has been brought forth in the final hours, since ordinary issues like health care or the economy didn't seem to be able to turn the tide for the right's desired outcome. Once again, we are seeing in the last months before the election, gay marriage being thrown into the political ring. Will it once again become the issue that shapes the election's outcome as it has before?

Have you not noticed how often gay marriage comes up at election times? (NC recently used this issue to influence their elections) I'm sure you have since you already understand that the "anti-gay marriage folks weren't going to vote for Obama in the first place", to paraphrase what you wrote. We know trying to get gay marriage rights actually brings out those anti-gay marriage voters, who go on to vote on other issues and candidates also. Many red states have the large amount of Republican legislators by just this method.

http://www.pewforum.org/Gay-Marriage-and-Homosexuality/Public-Opinion-on-Gay-Marriage-Opponents-Consistently-Outnumber-Supporters.aspx
http://www.pewforum.org/Gay-Marriage-and-Homosexuality/State-Policies-on-Same-Sex-Marriage.aspx
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2012, 01:54:10 pm »
if you are right, i believe you are, then the republicians are using this as the last resort to win the election.  i hope it back fires.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »
if you are right, i believe you are, then the republicians are using this as the last resort to win the election.  i hope it back fires.

Where I live there is a gay martiage referendum on the same ballot as the presidential election and the opposite is true.  A higher turn out should help both Obama and help pass the marriage referendum. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Matts

« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2012, 05:13:51 pm »
The story was in the News tonight, quite hard stuff. The statements of some Republicans like Sarah Palin would be the end of their careers in Europe, because of political correctness.

But the kissing Gays at the street were cool.
Dovato

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2012, 05:59:57 pm »
A higher turn out should help both Obama and help pass the marriage referendum.
it all depends on WHO turns out. A large turn-out doesn't mean the pro-gay marriage contingent will be the people going to the polls.

Back in May, NC had a much higher turn-out than normal for their statewide election . Even with a huge amount of discussion, media attention, and pro-gay grassroots efforts (especially for a Southern Bible-belt state), the DOMA-esque Amendment 1 received overwhelming support (due to the anti-gay religious sentiment in the state) and became a new amendment to the NC Constitution.

hopefully enough pro-gay marriage voters will turn out to overwhelm the anti-gay marriage voters in your state.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2012, 12:40:32 am »
I kinda like what Jon Stewart said Thursday night. 

He said, "For people who are gay, I get how seeing thousands of people coming out to make this statement is incredibly disheartening.  But, take solace in this--gay marriage is happening.  Like many drive-thru window lanes, it isn't going backwards.  And, your bonus is this:  You'll get gay marriage.  And, all your political opponents are going to get is type 2 diabetes."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2012, 01:45:26 am »

My partner deactivated his FB account over this.  It's been a hot mess.  Who would have thunk chicken could do this?!  I've already discussed how his brother and sister-in-law have gotten all religious.  Well, his brother got religious after marrying her.  3 years ago, they told us they loved us, but believed in the Biblical definition of marriage.  Well, that caused a dust-up back then, especially between the wife and me.  I was just diagnosed, didn't have insurance at the time, and I really began to see why marriage equality was so important.  Equal rights, primarily.  But, we saw how I could not go on his insurance, he had no legal say in my care and could have been kicked out of the hospital at that time.  So, obviously, marriage had real meaning to us for the first time. 

So, we had some words 3 years ago, but then let it go.  We kept thinking they would come around.  Flash to a few days ago.  The brother "likes" Chick on FB.  Then, his wife posted a pic that made fun of the whole situation.  We are not friends with her, but she tagged my partner's brother in the pic.  So, that allowed us to see it.  My partner replied saying how insensitive both their posts were.  I was going to stay out of it, but their friends began making comments about my partner--how he just needs to get over it and that we were the ones spreading hate.  Well, that set me off.  I told them they should be ashamed for making those posts.  We were already hurt they would deny us the same rights they've exercised twice.  But, supporting Chick at this time was a huge betrayal, to us.  And, to post "funny" pix.  I told his brother he should also be ashamed for letting their friends discount his brother's feelings and not coming to his brother's defense.  I said they had a choice, and they could have just let this go.  Neither of them post that often, so they went out of their way to do this.  And, she knew by tagging her husband, we would be able to see it.  We think she did it on purpose. 

Anyway, they replied saying how we were attacking them.  My partner read it, but I didn't.  I went on to read it today, but they deleted it.  I'm kinda glad, but kinda wish I would have read exactly what they said.  Evidently, his parents had a good talking to with them.  The whole family was pissed they would do this and be so insensitive.  We heard a phone call was made to them.  At this point, we don't see how we can attend any family functions where they will be there.  He's gotten calls from other family members showing support.  He got one from his sister that left him in tears.  I rarely see him cry.  His dad is a huge Republican, but a big supporter of marriage equality.  His dad has been to pro-marriage equality fundraisers.  Several years ago, his dad was upset with us for not attending.  We didn't have the money then to make a donation, so didn't feel comfortable going.  Well, his dad was very disappointed that we didn't go.  He said he would have given us money to donate, and we should have gone anyway to just show support, even if we couldn't donate.  So, I do think about so many who have no family support.  We have most of his family and all of my immediate family.

Modified:

I know I already made a post in this thread about this, but that was before the huge blow up, parents involved, phone calls, etc.  My apologies for repeated info. 

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:49:03 am by tednlou2 »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2012, 09:58:15 am »
Ah family... it's life way of saying "Take That!!!"  Sorry for your problems but at least you know where they stand.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2012, 02:28:29 am »
Tonight, I got the message below from a longtime friend.  I was hurt, at first.  This guy is the nicest guy I've ever known.  He doesn't have a mean bone in his body.  I never knew him to be religious at all.  I'm still trying to figure out my feelings on his message.  It does come off as a back-handed compliment.  But, at the same time, I appreciate his honesty and feeling the whole Chick situation was full of hate.  I've posted so many pro-marriage equality things on FB and he's "liked" them.  So, his view about homosexuality took me by surprise.  I suppose what matters most is that a person can separate their religious views and constitutional issues.  What a week. 

"As you probably saw, I posted a silly song about the whole chic fil a fiasco on 8/1/12. I was tired of seeing and hearing about it everywhere. The whole thing had gotten silly, more on the part of the so called moral christians. I tried to write it that way. I hope you didn't take offense. I personally believe that homosexuality is wrong. I am not on this earth to judge or be judged, but I must interpret the Bible and what it says. Hate the sin, not the sinner. I am a sinner too. How could I judge your sins and not my own? i can't. And only God knows how to truly judge justly. Anyway, before I hang myself further with more words, what I am trying to say is: I have never, nor will I ever eat at chic fil a and I sure didn't eat there 8/1/12. The so called moral majority made it a point to and that is wrong in my opinion. That is hating a group of people and that is not what the Bible I read teaches."

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2012, 07:38:48 am »
Ted,

I would thank your friend.  He seems sincere in his beliefs, but also knows that it is not HIS place to judge others and seems to come from a good place.  He understands that not everyone shares his religious beliefs and is OK with that too.  If only more devout people took his lesson, there would be much less strife in the world.

Mike

Offline Mrmojorisin

• My Blog
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2012, 08:31:20 am »
 Wow, this whole ordeal with Chik-Fil-A really blew up and showed a lot of folks true colors. On the so called "Appreciation Day" I was growing tired of the pics of the crowded stores and comments about its "success". So I posted a simple status that said " I am tired of hearing about chik-fil-a........"
 Man that started something. Somebody posted that I "had" to support them because they are a "christian" business. I replied back that "no I did not "have" to support anyone". I went on to explain that while they may not agree with same-sex marriage that the very same US Constitution that grants them the right to their religion and their free speech also grants two men or two women the right to get married. And by the way, your religion urges you to talk about so called "morality" but does not urge you to legislate it.
 I got unfriended and blocked by 3 people....  ;D
Started Meds On 5/1/2012 Norvair, Truvada, Prezista, and Bactrim

4/17/2012--CD4 83/ VL 353,000  7.0%
5/15/2012--CD4 218/ VL 4,970    14.1%
6/27/2012--CD4 146/ VL 420      6.1%
10/11/2012-CD4-223/ VL-62       9.5%
2/14/2013--CD4-215/ VL-119      13.6%
7/3/2013---CD4-256/ VL-UD       18.0%
10/18/2013 CD4-223/ VL-UD       22.2%
01/23/2014-CD4-381/VL-UD       25.3%--Dropped the Bactrim
05/01/2014 CD4-370/VL-UD       23.5%
01/08/2015 CD4-455/VL-UD       28.7%
06/18/2015 CD4-422/VL-UD       31.9%
01/07/2016 CD4-275/VL-UD       31.3%
02/10/2016 Switch meds to Tivicay and Truvada
04/25/2016 CD4-426/VL-UD        34.1%
07/14/2016 CD4-414/VL-UD        38.0%

"arrrrhhhhh ahhrrhhhhh aaaarrhhh"- Chewbacca

Offline wolfter

« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2012, 11:39:56 am »
I've posted so many pro-marriage equality things on FB and he's "liked" them.  So, his view about homosexuality took me by surprise.  I suppose what matters most is that a person can separate their religious views and constitutional issues.  What a week. 

This happens quite often when I post things on FB.  I think people struggle with supporting us and living by their Christian beliefs.  Most of my family and a lot of my friends have issues with homosexuality, but they try to support who I am.  Your friend appears to be a real gem who is trying to support you.

On a side note; I got the benefit of listening to this entire debate last night at work.  Sometimes, I think they do it for my benefit.  One loud mouth stated that he has no problem with gays as they are some of the nicest people he knows.  As long as they don't hit on him.  (anyone else ever heard these comments? :o)

I got a pretty good laugh when I smugly told him he had nothing to worry about.  He loudly asked me why not to which I proclamed;  I know many gay people and they're very picky and I'm sure glad you're straight because you'd never get hit on.   ;D

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2012, 01:19:24 pm »
good one.  that put a nick in his straight armor...   ;)

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2012, 01:20:37 pm »

"As you probably saw, I posted a silly song about the whole chic fil a fiasco on 8/1/12. I was tired of seeing and hearing about it everywhere. The whole thing had gotten silly, more on the part of the so called moral christians. I tried to write it that way. I hope you didn't take offense. I personally believe that homosexuality is wrong. I am not on this earth to judge or be judged, but I must interpret the Bible and what it says. Hate the sin, not the sinner. I am a sinner too. How could I judge your sins and not my own? i can't. And only God knows how to truly judge justly. Anyway, before I hang myself further with more words, what I am trying to say is: I have never, nor will I ever eat at chic fil a and I sure didn't eat there 8/1/12. The so called moral majority made it a point to and that is wrong in my opinion. That is hating a group of people and that is not what the Bible I read teaches."
sounds like the gentleman protest too much....

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2012, 02:11:57 pm »
I don't have any wacko pro-Chick-Fil-A people on my FB friends list. You boys need to pick your friends better.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2012, 03:32:33 pm »
You boys need to pick your friends better.
sadly, you can't pick the family that brought you into the world.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »

But, you don't have to deal with them on that level, I sure don't, I just REFUSE to do so....
as long as they respect me for who I'am it's all good to me ......you could always move-out
and get your own place, then you can do whatever you chose to do...........amiright  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2012, 05:11:43 pm »

True, but you don't have to friend them on FB. Or if you "must," then there are ways to corral them so that they don't bother you.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2012, 05:26:56 pm »

Family or not I don't see why you should put up with any of them if they don't support your lifestlye but are willing to support those who are totally against it..especially on FB, there are less public ways of keeping in touch with them if that's what you want to do.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2012, 07:10:13 pm »
True, but you don't have to friend them on FB. Or if you "must," then there are ways to corral them so that they don't bother you.
you do understand and realize that these family members were already friended a long time and just now spewing serious anti-gay bigotry as the CFA issue heated up? If this topic had never come up I wouldn't even be considering unfriending or "corralling" them.

Just like Ted, I've always had family members who didn't actually see eye-to-eye with me about homosexuality or about religion; but by keeping the lines of communication opened, I have been exposing them to ideas and opinions other than just the ones they have heard and learned in church, or even less credible sources. During this CFA situation, some have finally seen and now understand the hate and bigotry I've been telling them about for years, while others double-downed on their bigotry and ignorant religious points of view.

don't support your lifestlye
thank you; but my being homosexual has nothing to do with a "lifestyle". (You do realize that there is no "gay lifestyle", right?) Besides no one supports the "lifestyle" I'm living in anyway (a lifestyle of poverty, AIDS, and HIV advocacy)  ;D but me.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2012, 07:16:30 pm »

no one supports the "lifestyle" I'm living in anyway (a lifestyle of poverty, AIDS, and HIV advocacy)  ;D but me.

and you would be so wrong about this  ::)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2012, 08:23:44 pm »

Your family watches you mow the yard in a Speedo -- surely Chick-Fil-A pales in comparison in terms of a Rainbow Quotient.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2012, 08:29:30 pm »
Your family watches you mow the yard in a Speedo --

That's a lifestyle choice for you alright . :o  .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2012, 08:38:12 pm »
That's a lifestyle choice for you alright . :o  .

I want photos as proof of this  in full glory and all that :P

Hugs

DEN  :)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2012, 10:19:42 pm »
I want photos as proof of this  in full glory and all that :P

Hugs

DEN  :)

I'd probably get in trouble if I put them up.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2012, 01:31:33 am »
I wrote back to my friend thanking him for the personal message.  I rambled on too long, so I won't post my long reply.  It was way too long.  I basically explained why marriage equality is so important to me and so many.  I thanked him for his compassion on the Chick issue.  While I wish he didn't view homosexuality as a sin, I know this is how millions are taught.  I'm not religious, so it is hard for me to understand how someone seemingly so intelligent could believe the way they do.  But, I wish so many others could, at least, separate their religious views from equal rights, like my friend does.   

My apologies for posting my FB conversations, but I was impressed that although he held deeply religious beliefs, he doesn't want to push those beliefs on others.  I had no idea he was brought up in a very "strict" church.  I didn't think he even went to church.  Obviously, he is fairly private about it.  Again, the important thing is that he is able to separate his religious views from laws.  A majority of Americans identify as being religious and interpreting the Bible literally.  Unfortunately, while so many are hypocrites, they want to single out homosexuality and deny rights using the Bible.  Btw, I did ask him if it would be okay to share what he said with friends.  Anyway, he replied back.

Ted,

I am glad you shared all of that. I grew up in a very strict house and went to a very strict church. Well, I still do go to a very strict church, that is when I am off work, which seems like is almost never. So, my interpretation of the Bible is very strict and was pounded into me growing up. But it's my interpretation. Everyone has their own interpretation and that is why I don't judge others for what they do or believe. I can't force others or impose my beliefs upon them and no one and no government should.

I guess that leads into this: Marriage equality. I do believe that the traditional Biblical view on marriage is between a man and a woman. I also remember Jesus saying when asked about taxes: Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's. Making a statement that you must follow God's laws, but you must also do what your Government sees fit. Our government clearly made the laws of distinction when adding the separation of church and state. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with "gay marriage". Marriage has become a legal institution that was endowed by our creator, but still governed by the law of the land. I guess that is not a stunning endorsement, huh? Anyway what I am trying to say on this issue is, it's in our and ultimately our government's hands and I hope you and your partner get to marry soon. How about that? Oh and I hope you get to enjoy the same benefits as straight couples too.

I didn't write anything offensive about gays/lesbians in the song I wrote, but I did make light of the whole thing and I realize for you and my gay cousin and a lot of others out there making light of a heavy situation could seem offensive. It just burned me up to see all my church and conservative friends post about eating at chick fil a that day as if they had won some kind of holy war, when in my eyes it was like spitting in your face. Not the kind of love I interpret from the Bible. Caught some heat from the church friends, but Oh well.

I appreciate your time and candor. Just wanted to let you know whether you're straight or gay, you're still my friend.

Ryan

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2012, 08:53:41 am »
Mike Huddleston @MKHDDLSTN: Dear Religion, While you were debating what chicken sandwiches were okay to eat, I just landed on Mars. Sincerely, Your Pal Science

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2012, 07:41:28 pm »
i guess "strict" = "homophobia"

Anyway the closeness of Jesus with Judas was a male love like no other...  I bet someone changed that story to protect their ideology or theology.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:44:53 pm by red_Dragon888 »

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2012, 10:11:59 pm »
i guess "strict" = "homophobia"

I think this is a bit out of line....  He stated what his beliefs were, but also pointed out that he didn't think he should push his beliefs on others -- NOR SHOULD THE GOVERNMENT. 
I, personally, think he should be applauded.  If more religious folks kept their beliefs to themselves and didn't try and impose them on others, this world would be a much better place.
You should try it yourself -- you don't believe in religion -- or his religion anyway -- fine, don't practice it.  If we want others to "live and let live", we need to do the same to folks who aren't there trying to hurt us.
Mike

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2012, 04:24:12 am »
Chick-fil-A and gay people
https://bluprd0411.outlook.com/owa/?ae=Item&a=Open&t=IPM.Note&id=RgAAAAD83urvjIZdSYQMccDF%2bUleBwC3PcEryjnWQ7K%2fa6fB60TsAAAAvKuiAAC3PcEryjnWQ7K%2fa6fB60TsAAAZPMcnAAAA&pspid=_1344414060398_514840995

Chick-fil-A COO Dan Cathy: Meet with Our Family

Started by: Marci, Atlanta, Georgia

My name is Marci Alt. I live in Atlanta, Georgia with Marlysa, my wife of 8 years, and our two children, where we lead a pretty normal life. My wife and I are both small business owners, and like many American families, our family enjoys family vacations, going to church and temple, and large cookouts with our extended family, friends and community.
However, many loving American families like ours face unfair hardships because they are denied the chance to legally marry.
Since 2003, Chick-fil-A has given more than $5 million to organizations that actively work to hurt LGBT Americans. These groups include the Family Research Council, which the Southern Poverty Law Center deems a hate group. Additionally, Chick-fil-A has donated to groups that have gone on record as calling for "criminal sanctions" against gay and lesbian Americans, as well as groups that promote so-called "ex-gay therapy," a practice both debunked and deemed as harmful by nearly every major medical authority in the country.
Chick-fil-A COO Dan Cathy himself said that our LGBT-accepting culture suffers from a "deprived mind," that marriage equality is "twisted up," and that making marriage equality legal is "inviting God's judgment."
Mr. Cathy has his opinion, but he should hear from us and from fellow Christians who disagree – and he should know how his donations are hurting families here in Georgia.
I'm inviting Chick-fil-A COO Dan Cathy and his family to join my family for dinner -- at his place or ours -- to see that we're just like any other American family. We care deeply about our faith, our family, our friends and our community, and think there's room to turn this debate into a dialogue.
Please join my family and GLAAD in calling on Chick-fil-A COO Dan Cathy to share a meal with an LGBT family.
Click here to sign Marci's petition, "Chick-fil-A COO Dan Cathy: Meet with Our Family".

You can also check out other popular petitions on Change.org by clicking here.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2012, 05:20:55 pm »
". (You do realize that there is no "gay lifestyle", right?)

Leatherman...No!!! seriously?..Wow!! I never knew.

(you do realise you are an "idiot" , right?)

Report button is down in the right hand corner..but you know that don't you , you use it often enough.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:13 pm »
Leatherman...No!!! seriously?..Wow!! I never knew.

(you do realise you are an "idiot" , right?)

Report button is down in the right hand corner..but you know that don't you , you use it often enough.

Jan

Sorry Jan, this is just over the top.

I'm appalled. You're allegedly an adult - try acting like one.

Seven days time out.

Grow up.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2012, 06:31:24 pm »
We want the freedom to deny minorities the equal protection guaranteed by our constitution based solely on the antiquated and largely ignored word of a primitive nomadic people whose complete and utter ignorance of the natural world allowed them to imagine they were speaking in the name of god almighty.

I think that about sums it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZxFJm-lbZQ&feature=g-all-u
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:33:38 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2012, 06:39:07 pm »
We now know the chicken crossed the road to get away from the homosexuals .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.