Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

The Sustiva/Atripla Thread

<< < (30/45) > >>

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: Ptrk3 on December 01, 2014, 06:21:25 pm ---Thanks for the clarification, Miss Philicia, on the "combo" business.  I appreciate it, as "exactitude in small matters is the essence of discipline."  I want to write things correctly, so thanks much.

On the Atripla matter, as written, I do take it.  So far I've not noticed any side effects but I do know that a lot of folks on the forum think Atripla should be ditched and I have read the reasons.  If I talk to my ID about something else, does it matter if it's any one of the other single-pill combos?   What would you recommend, if not Atripla?

--- End quote ---

I think you may have got the wrong message . We are trying to say that doctors and patients need to discuss the possible CNS side effects and warn people with mental illness they should avoid Atripla . If you are on Atripla and its working side effect free then stay on it …. if it aint broke don’t fix it .

californiarunner:
Thanks to everyone for their information on Atripla...I am now about to decide to start with it or not.

Diagnosed in 2009, started LAMIVUDINE (3TC) and Efavirenze in 2010

I can tolerate the mix but I still dislike the Efavirenze, (messes with my sleep) and the 3TC gives me Anemic like conditions. (Red blood cell counts low)

Also, my sex drive is usually low, and I have constant pain in the back of my legs...not sure if that is from the meds but that is my suspicion.

I am 49 and compete in all the distance events and therefore I'm looking for something better.

My doctor is now telling me Atripla would be our next choice, since I live in South America and my insurance will approve that.

My question is, Will I have similar side affects since the actual medicine is pretty much the same.....with the difference that Atripla is ONE dose at night?

I would LOVE to wake up one day and feel NORMAL, and not have pain in my legs all day!

Thank you all in advance for any advise!!

Jeff G:
Welcome to the forum . If you have trouble with the one formulation you most likely will have it with the other so my advice is to pick another med if you can .

mlgoforth:
 :) Hello all. My background *Infected 1980, 35 years with HIV, Tested HIV+ 1987
*HIV Drugs 1998-2005 Viracept, 3TC, D4T
Changed to lessen metabolic syndrome (didn't work)
*HIV Drugs 2005-2010 Sustiva, 3TC, AZT
Changed to get normal sleep, brain function (working but recovery is taking years)
*HIV Cocktail 2010 to now- Reyataz, Norvir, 3TC, AZT
*Virus undetectable since 1998, CD4 in 1998=60 (AIDS), 2015=500 range
Side or other effects, 1998 on Metabolic Syndrome, 2003 on Extreme Fatigue gets worse @ year, 2005 on Neuropathy, 1998 on Buffalo Hump, 2014 on Wasting upper arms.
2013 Diabetic Ketoacidosis, well treated with Insulin.
Take Cannabis for Neuropathy, Lisnopril for blood pressure, Lipitor for Cholesterol, Testosterone (low for my age), Various supplements, Simple diet, avoid processed foods, lots of fermented food
Social Security Disability 2013
     So now I am 5 years out from stopping Sustiva (on for 5 years) and still my brain and body have not returned to normal.  I don't recommend Sustiva to anyone.  Sustiva gave me insomnia so that I rarely woke up rested.  Thus it increased fatigue, when I had hoped it would lesson fatigue and metabolic syndrome.  I took it at night and if I didn't get to sleep I would feel a weird artificial unpleasant high.  My doctor was reluctant to change drugs. He said I should wait till I feel better.  I told I won't feel better until I am off this drug, so he then allowed the change.
     Is anybody else having long term withdrawal symptoms from Sustiva?  I get periods of extreme fatigue every 2 months (sometimes more often) that last for 4 to 6 weeks (no matter how much sleep I never feel rested).  As mysteriously as it starts it just stops and I return to normal refreshing sleep.
     My doctors have eliminated all the things they know of that could cause this.
Since the Diabetic Ketoacidosis I feel stronger after each period of fatigue but the severity of each fatigue episode is the same. My brain feels like a mismatched soup of chemicals while I am fatigued.
     My personal theory is that HIV and the Drugs to treat it mess up the gut bacteria and cause inflammation which leads to metabolic syndrome. Currently I am eating more fermented foods to help keep and restore balance to gut bacteria. Hopefully this will also help healing from Sustiva.
    Thanks for listening, reading other post here has been helpful.
          Love, Miguel

thomasgrn:
I, too, have the Final Exit book and even went to far as to use the helium method, but somebody found me and took the bag off my head.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version