Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:07:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 600
Total: 601

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Risk from foreplay  (Read 8755 times)

Offline worried845

Risk from foreplay
« on: November 09, 2007, 04:53:59 pm »
I would appreciate it if you could assess the risk in this situation.

I was with a guy and I was the bottom.  At the outset he rubbed his penis against my anus and made thrusting motions for quite a few minutes.  As this began to get a little vigorous, I stopped and told him to put on a condom and lube, which he quickly complied with.  We then had sex, me receptive, for a few minutes.  I am not experienced with anal sex and this hurt a bit, so I called it off before he came.  So from what I can tell there was no significant penetration without a condom, but there was some grinding.

I noticed some blood this morning on the toilet paper, nothing too serious.  But this freaked me out.

My question is - how risky is this kind of behavior, since he was not wearing a condom in the beginning, even though there was no penetration, but it was fairly vigorous, his penis was on my anus, and simulated screwing?

I am a bisexual man, and I have only had 4 experiences with anal sex over about 5 years, all of them I demanded condoms be worn.  But this latest incident has me wondering because of the foreplay. 

Thank you so much for what you do.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Risk from foreplay
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 05:16:43 pm »
As long as you are certain there was no unprotected penetration then you can relax about this incident in relation to HIV transmission. Condoms provide very effective protection and it's good that you're consistently making sure they are used during anal intercourse.

The bleeding doesn't really mean anything in terms of risk since a condom was used.

The foreplay including with his penis rubbing against your anus is not a risk for transmission.

This time out I don't see any cause for further concern nor for HIV testing.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline worried845

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 05:33:02 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply!

I am trying to resist the temptation towards paranoia in terms of whether there was any unprotected penetration; I can only say that he was trying to penetrate and when I became aware of this we stopped and got the condom.  I'm guessing it is not worth splitting hairs over.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 09:14:58 pm »
It's good that you're staying awake and aware about the risks of unprotected intercourse. You can have sex as often as you like and with as many partners as you like. As long as the insertive partner is wearing a condom everytime the HIV status of the guy you're with is irrelevant. Condoms really do the job. And it's intercourse and not frottage or rubbings of whatever sort that is the risky business.

Worry no further this time and stop splitting butt hairs. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline worried845

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 12:18:17 pm »
I would like an opinion, although I believe I already know what that opinion may be....

I've had receptive anal sex six times over the past six years, each time a condom was used.  I've also performed oral sex on men about a dozen times over that time frame.

A little over six years ago, I had a very brief incident of unprotected anal sex.  I became very worried over this incident and ordered a PCR DNA HIV test two weeks after the incident.  That came back positive, but it was a false positive, as follow up testing did not confirm it, and I had a final traditional antibody test to rule out infection 3 months after the incident.

My issue is that this incident has left me very scared to get tested again.  I am petrified of the thought of once again hearing that a test came back positive.  I am also amazed and ashamed that I have participated in behaviors that may have put me at risk, however small the risk may be since condoms were used. 

My question is simply - should I test?  Are the incidents I describe here risky enough that I should submit myself to a test?  I suppose I know the "correct" answer is, yes, test and put your mind at ease.  And if the test is positive, it is better to know.

But I also wonder if I am just being overly paranoid and there is no real need to test. 

I am sorry to be so wishy washy; perhaps I just need to write this down and realize that my experience with a false positive should not color my decision to test soon.  I would want to hold off for a few months in any case as my most recent incident is still inside the window period; but I also want to make a decision on whether or not to set a date to get a test done.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:30:08 pm »
You know, you could waffle about this forever.

Or you could test.

Any sexually active adult ought to have a complete STD workup, including an HIV test, at least once a year (Me, I would go twice).

Peace of mind cancels fear. Every time.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline worried845

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 12:44:39 pm »
Thanks, and you are right.  I'm letting my fear get the best of me.

I will set a date and test.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 02:36:05 pm »
You were never at risk of contracting HIV in the situation you've provided.

Offline worried845

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 04:51:48 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out, Rod.  I understand that given the condom use my risk is extremely low to non-existent, but...I think I need to test just in case, given the possible dire consequences of undetected hiv.  It has been years since I've had a full board of STD tests, and I think it is time to do it; just my experience with that false positive has me very wary of testing.

For any other worried folks reading this thread and considering the PCR test - think long and hard before you take it to get an early "diagnosis".  False positives happen with that test, and in my case it truly messed me up for a full week (while I was waiting for the follow up tests to be completed).  (And even longer as I had to wait to take the conclusive 13 week antibody test).

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.