Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:34:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 281
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 284
Total: 284

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 1st labs tomorrow  (Read 6105 times)

Offline hermes

1st labs tomorrow
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:02:43 pm »
Hey guys...

I've been hanging around these forums since I was first diagnosed as positive back at the end of April and been so amazed at the support and the friendly faces here. It has really helped me through a lot of tough times. I've spent the past few weeks learning how to 'be' with this virus and tomorrow is the next step. I get my first labs tomorrow and am really scared.

I'm healthy and have no strange symptoms. What should I expect?

Scott

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: 1st labs tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 01:36:53 am »
Howdy Scott and Welcome!

Glad you've joined in. It is a great place to be.

One of the first things I would do is take a look at the lessons here. They give a good explanation of what you can expect from your first labs.

I realize this is an anxious time for you, but please try not to sweat the first set of numbers. What the doc and you should be watching for is a trend set by repeated tests. This will show where you are and where you may be going.

If you are recently infected, the initial numbers could show a high viral load and a low CD4. This is often the case because your body is still initializing its fight against the virus. It may take several tests to show that your system has settled down and give you a better idea of where things stand.

So, try not to sweat the first labs and take it a day at a time. I know that sounds trite and easier to say than do. I have been through this, as have we all, so I know how you feel.

Just hang in there and let us know how things go. Remember we are here to help and support you in any way we can.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline CowboyPOZ

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 02:05:24 am »
Scott,

Do not be afraid to ask for a pad and paper to take notes. Ask for a copy of your labs so you can keep track of your numbers down the road. The lessons page is a great tool. Your numbers will take a huge dive at first and then jump back up to normal after 3-6 months. I was freaking out when I got my first results back and my numbers were below 400, but in 6 months they were above 600. Your numbers are going to move at first.
There are no guarantees in life. I recently lost a coworker who was healthy as a horse and got a freak infection. He was not positive but it was a good reminder for me that I only have today so make the most of this day. Keep that chin up, a "positive" attitude and let us know what happens. Take it one day at a time because that is really all we have.
You have a cowboy praying for you tonight in Oklahoma.

Okie Cowboy Guy
 ;)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 02:18:42 am »
Wow, I'm either getting old or forgetful (probably both).

What Cowboy Poz said about the notepad for your questions and a copy of your labs for your records. I have been doing this since 1992 and there have been times when it has been a life saver.

HUGS (again),

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Markmt

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 07:33:50 am »
Hi Scott, luckily these days there are lots of procedures that can help you manage HIV. All these labs are important to know where you stand with the bug. Your ID doc will procede with treatment according to all the numbers that we are lucky enough to have available. Don't stress out too much, it will only do harm.

Get well informed, make sure to will keep up all your appointments. Many of us here are coming from different places with HIV, so fire any questions you might have. Welcome to the forum and looking forward to read your updates....never feel alone :).

take care,

mark
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 09:48:53 am »
IŽll will also get my labs tomorrow. These are going to be the third ones. I wish you the best!
Lets share the results tomorrow.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline hermes

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 09:35:29 pm »
Hey guys...

Again I just want to thank you all for your kind words. Today was a tough day and I got my numbers and while their not as good as I would have liked, my doctor said the possibility is that I'm currently in the 'recovery period' where things are balancing out.

So my CD4's are at 330 and my VL is just over 51,000 currently. My doctor is having me back again in August for more blood work to see how things are going.

Scott

Offline CowboyPOZ

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 01:05:32 am »
Scott,

Don't worry. If you just tested positive you probably are in the recovery period. They take a huge dive at first but they then will pleatu and level off. I freaked out when my numbers were in the 300 range but now they are back up in the 600's without meds. Take it one day at a time. Your numbers are good and you know early so you can track your progress. Aft ryour numbers rebound and stablize you may not have to have blood drawn every three months. My doctor just switched me to every 4 months and if things continue steady she will change it to 5 months. It is each doctors choice but I think your on the right track. You took the initiative to get the tests performed, get to the doctor and be informed and also take time to get educated on the matter. You have taken a lot of first steps by coming here and asking questions, talked to the doctor and your taking charge. Your doing everything right! Keep up the good work nad keep your chin up!
Cowboy Prayers & Hugs
Okie Cowboy Guy

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 07:28:02 am »
those numbers are not bad...I think i had those numbers when I was first diagnosed and til this day I am still meds free.  I had lab results with cd4 450 and vl at 70,000....but my VL went down and the cd4 remain in the same range, sometimes lower, sometimes higher.  So, there is nothing to worry about.  Make sure you get checked out a couple more times.  I'm sure you will be fine and won't need the meds for a while.

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.