Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:26:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 400
Total: 400

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla  (Read 26714 times)

Offline Falkore

Atripla
« on: July 19, 2006, 06:35:14 pm »
So I start my first round of HIV meds tonight.  I have in my hand a bottle of Atripla.  I will be the first patient under my Dr.s care to take Atripla.  I'm a bit scared, to be honest.  I've been reading the side effects of the combined medications and it worries me.  Some of the people were talking about dreams being very vivid and very disturbing at times.  Well, I'm not much of a dreamer.  I don't normally remember any of the dreams, but it seems that since I began talking with my dr about taking the Sustiva/Truvada combo that I have begun to remember my dreams.  Some of them have been VERY vivid and very disturbing.... and I've not started meds yet. 

I will be sure to keep you guys updated on how I am doing on Atripla.  The pill itself is a freaking horse pill.  However, one pill is easier to take then three or four or whatever.  One pill, once a day... I can deal with that. 
"Ain't no shame in my flame"
Date:          CD4:     VL:
10/02/05     568       2,070
11/18/05     541       2,970
02/17/06     442       4,720
04/17/06     510       1,100
07/12/06     391       3,050
Start Atripla
09/22/06     595       Undet.
01/18/07     562       Undet.
05/25/07     540       Undet.
09/26/07     531       Undet.

Offline livingpositively

Re: Atripla
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 06:47:51 pm »
Good luck with starting your meds.

Shane
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 06:53:06 pm »
Good Luck with that. Please keep us informed. I take Truvada and Sustiva separately and would be interested to know the side effects of the combined pill. I found my vivid dreams have faded completely with time but each person has varying degrees of side effects. Again,  Best of luck to you.   Cristy

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 06:55:50 pm »
    The pill itself is a freaking horse pill.  However, one pill is easier to take then three or four or whatever.  One pill, once a day... I can deal with that.

Falkore,

Welcome to the world of HIV medications.  Only recently, I have been overjoyed to cut my pill intake from 32 pills a day, down to about 18.  However, it was because of drug failure and my virus growing again after five years.  Now I am on some combos, that reduce the total intake number of pills.

Good luck on the meds, and hope things level out in two or three months.  This is the normal period for our bodies to adapt to the meds.

In Love and Support.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 07:28:46 pm »
Well I remember when I first started Sustiva I had some bizarre dreams.

Currently, I dream every night, but they have become less bizarre and more towards the 'normal' end of the spectrum.

Before starting my HAART therapy, I rarely had dreams...when I did have dreams it indicated to me that I was really tired.

As far as Atripla goes, I'm assuming the efficacy is exactly the same as taking Sustiva and Truvada together.

If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline Nadine

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 07:41:13 pm »
My husband takes Sustiva/Truvada...He said he is not in a rush to take Atripla, he doesn't want to mess with a good thing. My thoughts are, if the one pill is exactly the same, the "good thing" should be exactly the same too.
His side effects are very minimal, I hope you find this pill easy to take as well.

Keep us posted and good luck to you!  ;D

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 08:09:58 pm »
Yes! Please do keep us up to date on your progress with Atripla.

I asked my ID Dr. about it at my last checkup this past Friday and she told me that I already take everything separately that is in Atripla and the one thing that I don't is Sustava and she says that would be hard on my liver(I also have HCV).
So she'd prefer I don't change things, especially since the meds I've been taking for quite some time now seem to be working great ;D

Good luck, my friend.
Peace,
Kelly
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 08:27:01 pm »
Positive attidue...  Its going to be ok....  Your not the first test subject... lol

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 09:55:19 pm »
Good luck, let us know how you're doing with this.

Oh, and as for the Sustiva dreams, yes it happens....but at least you know when you dream you are ASLEEP.   That is better than a lot of sleepless nights, if you ask me......

Hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 05:28:03 am »
Good Luck,

I remember taking 30 pills each day.  One of them was 6 pills, three times per day.  I think they had to be refrigerated too.  They might have been called Norvir and it was the most depressing thing in the world to face off to that pile of pills.

I made a game of it... I would tell myself, take 6 pills three times a day, should I tie a string on 6 of them and keep taking then over and over and what to do with the rest of the bottle?  That was in 1998 and today my life is so very simple. 

I take a Trizivir at noon and go on with my day.
At Midnight, I take a Trizivir, a Viread, and a Sustiva (also known for vivid dreams).  Been on Sustiva for so many years, I got used to the dreams and sometimes write about them.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 09:10:37 pm »
Good Luck... I will be paying attention and listening.  My doctor recommending Atripla as well.  I have two more weeks of sustiva and truvada in the form of two pills.   

I would think it all the same.... but I am not the doctor.... good luck!!!

max
Go with it and KEEP MOVIN!  Life is good today and I am glad to be here

Offline Eldon

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 11:17:14 pm »
Hi Falkore, it is Eldon. I wanted to wish you good luck on your venture with Atripla. Keep us posted on your progress.

Eldon

Offline ScottSoFla

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 10:09:31 am »
Ive also just started taking meds this week and began with Atripla this past Monday. I have to say things have gone very well for the first week and the side effects have been minimal. I'm so grateful to be able to start with such an easy regimine

Offline Falkore

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 11:06:50 pm »
Hello guys... thanks for all the well wishes.  I am SO sorry that I've waited this long to post.  So many things have happened since I started the meds.  I got a new job that pays a great deal more, insurance begins right away, it is a set schedule with regular hours and weekends off.  It's a great opportunity and I am grateful that I have the chance to take advantage of it.  Also my partner went into the hospital for his diabetes again.  He had DKA again and spend 3 days in the hospital.  He is out now and doing better. 

Now, on to the results of Atripla.  The first night I took it around 8pm.  We (boyfriend) and I went out to the store for a bit to get some necessary things.  Around 9pm we were getting ready for bed when I had my first taste of the side effects.  I was brushing my teeth when I noticed the world seemed to be shifting beneath my feet.  The dizziness was expected, but it was also a bit strong.  It felt like I was drunk.  Well, I crawled into bed with my boyfriend and closed my eyes.  It was as if someone had turned on a projector in the back of my head.  There were images running across the back of my eye lids.  I can't really explain WHAT I was seeing, but it was just a random running of images.  Nothing really had any coherent thought, but even if I opened my eyes, it was as if someone was projecting a film onto a window.  I could see the images still, but also see thought them. 
I was able to get to sleep after a while and no dreams occurred.  I have not seen any rash, no dreams, no serious depression, nothing worse then the dizziness and some minor nausea at times.  *Knocks on wood*
The dizziness is still there about two hours after I take the pill.  Due to that, I try to take it right as I go to bed. 
Also, I would NOT advise drinking alcohol while on this medication.  My partner had his 20th birthday party and I had one half of a Smirnoff Ice, a jello shot, and one other small shot.  After about two hours I took my medication.  That night my partner started getting sick due to HIS alcohol consumption.  I tried to get up and help him, but the dizziness was SO strong that I could hardly move my head.  The next morning I felt horrible.  I felt like I was going to pass out all day.  Thankfully I was able to work my full schedule without any major problem.  I guess I just have to give up on my alcohol.  :-(
A couple of days after starting Atripla I went back to my doctors office with a friend of mine.  Molten Storm was getting his blood test results back.  Well, I brought the bottle with me and showed the doctor.  He had not seen the medication yet and showed it to several of the nurses.  The pill is a freaking HORSE pill... but not to difficult to take.
So far it's been a full week and a half and not missed a dose.  No plans to either. 
Good luck to all... and to all a good night.
Start Atripla

Offline Teresa

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 07:37:44 pm »
Falklore,

How are you doing on Atripla? My hubby is gonna start on it when hes finished the meds we just got refilled last week. Hes already got the priscription.

Were you already on meds before you started Atripla?

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 07:48:42 pm »
I remember 1998, taking about 25 pills a day specifically targeting HIV and it's OIs.

They made me so nauseated that just looking at them made me gag. And the worst part was, the diarrhea would JUST be getting better when it was time to dose again, and start the whole process over.

To have gone from those awful (life saving, yes. Awful too) days to the notion of one pill a day is something I only dreamed about. I am glad that we're here, for those who can benefit from the drugs available. Its WAY too late for me and Sustiva,  but the advent of Atripla means that other combos will follow suit.

We live in a world where hope outweighs despair sometimes. That's both brave and new.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 08:50:28 pm »
Falkore, Thanks for the information on Atripla and what you been through already.  We all can benefit from what you gone through. I been waiting for you to get back to us, thank you. 

I been on sustiva and truvada for almost three months now, wow what a change I have gone through.  Watching my body and the new "things" that never happen to me before, it been a experience.  It's just good to know that I am going to be okay with the help of modern medicine.  I am grateful today.   

The question I have is since I been on sustiva and truvada for almost three months "does anyone think by switching I can expects some side effects".  It is the same drug.... a little concerned.... on my last 2 1/2 weeks of my current two pills  and Atripla on it way via mail.      Perhaps someone have made the switch and have some useful information.

Doing  will these days, I have my strange days but other wise... okay.  Also Jkinatl I really enjoyed what you had to say also.... Thank for making me feel like there is HOPE!!!!!   Against and stopping AIDS! 

m
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 08:57:39 pm by OakMax1 »

Offline Falkore

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 11:01:14 pm »
It's now week two on Atripla.  I try to keep taking the pill at the same time each night, but life seems to get in the way.  Thankfully Atripla is forgiving in that I don't have to take it at exactly the same time each night, just as long as I take it. 

I usually wait about an hour or an hour and a half after I eat.  I take the pill right about the time I go to bed. That way I can avoid the side effects of dizziness and minor nausia that I feel.  However, I have to be careful.  If I don't get a full 8 hours sleep, I still have some minor dizziness the next morning.  I'm trying to get into a set schedule where I can take the pill at the same time each night and get a good nights sleep.  That way, when I wake up I won't have any residual side effects. 

Teresa, to answer your question I was not on meds before Atripla.  I am one of the very few lucky ones who has started out with one of the easiest HIV regimens.  I hope that the person who infected me was not resistant to any of the meds included in Atripla.  The doctor did not test that at first.  He wrote the script for Atripla and then had the nurse draw the blood for a serium test.  Forgive me if that's the wrong name. 

Well, I must go.  But I did have one final question that maybe you guys can help me with.  I am in training for a new job.  The training will last about 14 weeks.  During that time I will have to have at least one appointment for a blood draw.  The person in charge of my training told me that if I miss a few hours for the blood draw it will count against me.  I can have 3 "occurances" before they fire me.  If I am not able to reschedule my appointment, it will count as one occurance.  I have thought about going to the HR department and telling them that it can't be fair.  It's my health... my health is ALWAYS more important then a few hours of training.  I can wait until I am out of the classroom and they said that they will "work with me" but not specifically saying that it will not count against me.  It still may.  I honstly don't think that is fair, but I don't know what I can do about it.

Any advise?
Start Atripla

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 01:40:54 am »
Falkore,

I had the same problem with my employer and had my doctor fill out a forms for the Family Right Act that protect your job without disclosing your illness, but recognize that your under the care of a doctor.  In California it called the California Family Right Act ... go to this website http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/statutes/cfrabenefits.asp    <<that if you live in California... I am sure everything state have adopted this also.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 01:20:46 am »
Also, I would NOT advise drinking alcohol while on this medication.  My partner had his 20th birthday party and I had one half of a Smirnoff Ice, a jello shot, and one other small shot.  After about two hours I took my medication.  That night my partner started getting sick due to HIS alcohol consumption.  I tried to get up and help him, but the dizziness was SO strong that I could hardly move my head.  The next morning I felt horrible.  I felt like I was going to pass out all day. 

Oh my goodness. Thank you for this advice Falkore

Offline Falkore

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 06:53:18 pm »
So I've been on my meds for over a month now.  I've been doing well on it so far, but I have noticed a few minor issues.  I don't know if they are related to my meds or stress or a combination of both.  For the past two mornings I have been in the shower and felt very sick to my stomach.  So much so that I vomited up bile both times.  I had not eaten yet, thankfully, so I didn't have anything to vomit.  After a few minutes of feeling sick to my stomach, it passes and I go about my day as normal. 

The only thing I can think of is that I've been stressed out a lot recently.  My boyfriend and I broke up (again) and I have been dealing with that.  I was not upset, more angry.  It's all over with now, but I miss him.  However, I can see how the stress is affecting me.  Could that be it, or could it be something else?

Tell me what you think.
Start Atripla

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 12:03:06 am »
Hey dude,

I think I am learning that stress has been the #1 impact on my health.  I can't speak to the side effects, but I am definitely working on managing my very stressful lifestyle. 

I am sorry about your break-up, its a difficult situation.  Try to know that the feelings you are having are OK, let them move through you, not consume you.

Kindest,
Drew

Offline Teresa

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 12:37:24 am »
Falklore,

So sorry to hear about your break-up.

Hubby has been on Atripla just over a week and so far so good.

Hope the nausea subsides soon.

Big Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline Eldon

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 12:56:37 am »
Hello Falkore, it is Eldon:

It is good to hear that your new med regime is going well with the exception of the mornings when you wake up. It could be very well stress that is causing your morning sickness.

I am sorry to hear that you and your BF have broke-up, there are going to be a lot of deep feelings running through you, Don't let it consume you though.

Get your proper REST & Have the BEST Day!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 01:22:48 am »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 10:35:43 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Falkore

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2006, 08:54:42 pm »
Well, I think I was just having simpathy pains.  A co-worker of mine just found out that she was pregnant and she was not having problems with morning sickness.  I must have been taking it away from her.
Either way, it's passed.  I have been doing fine since then.  Thanks for your thoughts and well wishes. 
Start Atripla

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 09:25:54 pm »
Just thought I would drop in to see how everyone was dealing with the ATRIPLA.  I thought I was going to start last week, but I have about 1-2 weeks to go before I start.  I must say I really like coming to this site to hear what everyone have to say.  THANK YOU!  I am learning everyday and want to help others as you have helped me through your stories and trials.

Thanks, I need to hear your stories again today!.... willing and ready to just do it!...

oakmax1

Offline ScottSoFla

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2006, 10:05:09 pm »
Hey OakMax1
I was on Atripla for a month and need to go off as the side effects were getting worse. Lots of sleep/dream problems and panic attacks(i assume the Sustiva in there was the culprit). He switched me to Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada and things are much better. It was nice to take one pill a day but just didn't work well for me. Hope everyone else is doing well on it though :)

Scott

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 08:58:31 pm »
Thanks for the advise, I think I have about another week to go..... I will come back and give my experience as well.  Crossing my finger that nothing will happen and things will continue as they have..... just getting use to my two pills aday...  ::)  but one pill a day, is cool.........

Everyone here has prepared me.. I am okay with it .... ::)

Hope everyone is doing well!

Oakmast
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 09:05:37 pm by OakMax1 »

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2006, 03:28:41 pm »
Got my letter stating that I've been approved. Going to see my doctor on Thursday, so I should be starting Atripla by this weekend. I will post any side effects that I feel for those curious to know.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 07:48:15 pm »
Got my letter stating that I've been approved. Going to see my doctor on Thursday, so I should be starting Atripla by this weekend. I will post any side effects that I feel for those curious to know.

Wishing you the best Molten,

Let us know how you are doing....

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Teresa

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2006, 07:53:51 pm »
Hey guys,

Hubby has been on Atripla for a few weeks now and hes doing great on it. Sometimes I feel guilty talking about how good hes doing on it when others are having a time with it.

I hope you guys have as much luck with Atripla as hubby has. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline gabbyny

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 09:29:53 pm »
Hey Atripla Folks,

Check the string of Atripla responses in the forum here Questions About Side Effects: Atripla-Any Reactions. I've continued to do well after my first month on A after a year on Truvada+Sustiva. I need to leave at least 2 hours and even better 3 or 4 if I have had a heavy meal or alcohol before taking my Atripla. And if I get less than 8hrs sleep I feel quite groggy with the residual effects of the meds. Viviid dreams only if too close to food. A new twist today. I usually go to get refills of my meds about 10 days before they will run out to be sure there are no mess ups with the pharmacy. Well for the first time the pharmacy messed up. I out in for the Atripla refill last week & was told to pick it up in 4 days as they needed to order it from the wharehouse. I went to pick up today, and they did not receive it and put in another order to the wharehouse due on Thursday. Ill be out of town Thursday so cant do the pick up. My current supply will get me to Thurs nite. I had an unused Sustiva prescription I put in as they had that. And I had some left over Truvada. So I have a Sustiva+Truvada back up if the wharehouse fails to come through on Thursday. My point is that the Atripla seems relatively unfamiliar and less available to the pharmacy and wharehouse and it is a big firm. So be careful with refills....as a new med it may take a little time for the pharmacy to have it stocked efficiently. Hopefully I wont have to go use the 2 pill combo while waiting for the Atripla. It should be no problem...but who knows if the way the pills are formulated could lead to some side effect problems. Just a warning.

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2006, 03:35:40 am »
Everyone thanks for your experiences with Atripla, first night tonight.  Headed to bed and a little nervous.   Thanks again.  maxo

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2006, 05:02:41 pm »
Pharmacy had to order my prescription, and it arrived today. I already have the bottle in hand, so tonight will be the night. Last night felt a little special since it's the last night I'll have where I'm not taking anything. Today felt like such a big moment. It was a bitter-sweet passing of the chapters - one closing, another opening.

I'm a little nervous as to how I'll feel tonight and tomorrow. One day at a time, right?
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2006, 07:15:39 am »
Last night was interesting to say the least. I took my pill promptly at 9pm. By 9:45p, I could feel my body temperature rising. My entire body felt flushed, and my stomach felt slightly off. I woke up around 11p, and there was a slight dizziness. It wasn't anything major though.

The dream was kick ass though. I dreamed about ancient Japan, and there were a lot of Japanese silks in the dream. The myriad of colors was breathtaking.

I was a little nervous last night about how I would feel last night and today, but so far, these effects are ok.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 07:17:24 am by MoltenStorm »

Offline Falkore

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2006, 09:05:03 pm »
Well I just got my first blood test back from Atripla.  My CD4 count jumped from 391 to 595.  Viral load dropped from 3,050 to undetectable. 

I spoke with my Doc about the vomiting and such and he reminded me that I should not eat a high fat meal befor taking the medication.  I remembered the warning after he mentioned it, so I guess that means I should pay closer attention. 

I also had a problem with refills.  My pharmacy did not have it in stock when I first ordered it so I had to wait a day for them to have it shipped from the warehouse.  Well, since then I have made sure to call in ahead of schedule to get my refills.  Usually I can call in a day in advance and they will have it ready for me the next day without a problem.  However, last time I ran into a problem.  I called it in on Thursday and ran over there on Friday to pick it up.  They didn't have the pills for me.  I was a little upset but there was not much I could do.  They ordered it for me on Monday and that was fine because the number of pills I had would last until Saturday night.  I was only going to miss one nights does.  I told my doctor that after getting the results and he said that the two medications can stay in your body for several days, so missing one dose is not a major problem. 

I also found out that my insurance wants me to have the pills delivered to my home from their main warehouse.  I get 3 months supply and it's less then the current co-pay in total.  But hell.... the deductable for my first fill was expensive.  I was expecting $30 but because of the deductable I had to pay $130.00.  Next month will be $30.00 and then I have one final refil at the comercial pharmacy before they force me to do the mail order.  It's no big deal, my Doc was happy to write me a Rx for the mail order.  He said he prefers it that way. 

Well, I must go.  I hope alll are doing well.  I am doing quite well on the med and in life in general.
Start Atripla

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2006, 07:31:09 am »
Try a program called ADAP (Aids Drug Assistant Prgrom) they be able to pickup the co payment charge.

FYI
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 07:36:25 am by OakMax1 »

Offline Pochi

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2006, 09:13:38 am »
Hello all;
I started treatment with Atripla Friday Sept 29th. It is also my first HAART. Tonight will be my 10th dose. After reading some of the postings in the Forum I now understand I have been fortunate enough to begin treatment at this time when science has been able to wrap a good regimen in 1 single pill. I was also prescribed Bactrim once a day because of my low cd count (135), although I also received the painfully numbing Pneumonia Vaccine on my Left shoulder.
From the beginning I have taken the pill at least 2 hours after a meal as recommended by the Dr., and then head to bed shortly thereafter. I only had a vivid nightmare the first night. The only side effect I have experienced so far is the so much mentioned grogginess in the morning. I can only compare the feeling to a lite hangover, where you are very aware of the dizziness but are unable to shake it off. It lasts about 2 hours after I awake. I try to get moving with the day as if nothing, and if that doesn't really help, at least takes my mind off of it.
For a while now, even months before my HIV + diagnosis, I have been having trouble sleeping a whole night without waking up a few times, so it is hard to attribute this to my new treatment. I am also a very anxious person so I can not tell if the treatment has worsen that aspect. I hope my Dr. will have some suggestions about this when I go see him in a month.
It has been of unmeasurable value to me to find this community on line. I am taking notes all the time.
-> I will make sure I begin the script refill process at least week in advance to avoid skipping doses because of pharmacy inventory issues.
-> I also try to keep my dinners lite in fat to minimize drowsiness.
-> I make sure I get my bootie in bed and try to dedicate at least 8 hours for sleep, even if it doesn't happen all at once.
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I will keep you posted as well.
Salud!

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2006, 05:28:05 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I started taking Altripla 3 nights ago and was nervous about it.  My experiences were similar to most of the people here with vivid dreams, but nothing too horrible.  I also felt the drunk feeling that most of you have experienced, so I try to go to bed as soon as I can.  I have not noticed any side effects yet (knock on wood), but will continue to monitor it. The grogginess are there the next day and sometimes I feel slightly dizzy.  Does anyone feel slightly dizzy the next day? So far the drug have been working well, but I am only 3 days into the drug.  I just hope the drug is not toxic to my body, which is something I am really afraid of.

Best of luck to all of you who are taking this drug and any other drugs.

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline Falkore

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2006, 02:51:06 pm »
Last weekend was a surprise to me.  I got up Saturday morning and since I didn't have to go to my sister's to help her with the animals and such, I decided to stay home and do some chorse around there.  I mowed the lawn and when I was done with that I went inside to shower.  I needed to take my morning vitemins and so I went and got my pill container from the night before... where I discovered I had failed to take my Atripla.  I don't know how I missed it, but there it was waiting for me.  I had to decide if I should just skip another does or take it right there.  I decided to take it right then because I knew I'd be up later that night and I could start to get myself back into the normal cycle.  So I took my pill and sure enough, about an hour and a half later I got the dizzyness and drowziness.  I hate it... that's why I'm so glad I noramlly take it at night where those things don't affect me so much.

I actually had a little bit of alcohol last Tuesday as well.  I had it early enough in the evening and I didn't take my pill until a few hours later... so I was ok.  I didn't have any of the side effects I had last time.  I think if I just keep things in moderation I should be fine.
Start Atripla

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2006, 11:10:00 pm »
Wow, I haven't been here for a while.  Hope all is well  with everyone and Happy Holidays also.    Guess what?  I miss taking a dose on Wednesday and got up realized it was still in the case.... I was scared to take it because I was headed to work.... I took it just like you did, but I didn't get dizzy.... function without a problem.... so what I am thinking once you been on it for a while your body becomes immuned to it.  The dizzy spells go away.  Trust me I do not want to miss any dosage but sometime it happens.    

Again, I hope all is well.  I've  been feeling great, weight going back up... Love the one a day pill and I am pushing on!

Nice to be back ...

oakmax

Offline Teresa

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2006, 11:27:19 pm »
Oakmax,

WELCOME back! Glad you are doing so good and gaining your weight back. Hubby has been on Atripla since August and he is doing great also....no bad side effects either.

Happy Holidays to you too!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2006, 10:13:35 pm »
Hello Teresa,

Thanks, I just had my test and my Tcell are up 420 and I am undetected.  One problem is my white blood cells are dropping... in the mid 700 and they should be up around 1500.  Not sure what going on and a little nervous... but will manage... going for another round of blood draw and if need me my doctor said he will give me a shot to increase the white blood cell.... but other wise just trying to stay healthy! 

Was on tonight to check what others \had to  say about this white blood cell... this is my one stop for every questions I need answering.  ;D
Thanks for the swell greeting!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family and everyone on the forum!

OakMax

Offline Teresa

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2006, 10:25:06 pm »
OakMax,

Keep us posted on your white blood cells. Your CD4s and VL are great!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline Eldon

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2006, 10:27:36 pm »
Hey OakMax...

Those White Blood Cells are your soldiers of the army inside of your immune system. Keep an eye on those guys and take care of them the best that you can.

"Don't Give Up, Don't Give In... Cause it is ALL within you to WIN!"

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2007, 06:51:37 am »
Thanks everyone, sitting here with an upset stomach and scared to take my Atripla because I took rolaids....  I had another white blood count taken in regard to the white blood celll count.  waiting to hear from my doctor...will let you all know.

Very nervouis at this point...not sure what it is.... Getting results this week...

max    (taking the Atripla and going to bed) should be okay...

oakmax1

Happy New Year Everyone!

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2007, 11:36:54 am »
Hey Oakmax -

It is always a pain to have to wait for results isn't it? 

I go in for weekly blood tests and am lucky to be able to get the results the next day.  Last week my doctor decided that my WBC was too low (I forgot to ask what the numbers were) so she had me stop taking Valcyte which I was taking to reduce the chances of CMV retinitis from going active since that is one medication that can lower your WB cells.  I also got one injection of neupogen to build up my WBC and will get another blood test tomorrow.

I can understand being nervous - but for some reason I have just resigned myself to expecting something to be out of whack all the time...if its not the white blood cells its the CMV or the hemoglobin or the VL or the CD4 or the neuropathy or my blood is too thin or not thin enough. 

Dang after reading that list...maybe I should be nervous...and I can't even have a beer damn it!   :o

Hope things get better for you soon!

Kevin
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline scott609

• Life is all about the journey.
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2007, 12:51:31 am »
My other half has tried Atripla, but seems to do better on the multi-pill regimen.  He can't even take Truvada without feeling tired all the time.  For some reason, if he can take the three meds separately he does fine.  His doctor says that it is not possible since they are all the same drugs.  All I know is - he does much better when not on any combo pill.

Scott

::)

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2007, 08:41:11 pm »
Hey Everyone and Happy New Year!!!!!  :o

I called my doctor today and he still had not retrieve my results from the lab for the white blood cell count.  He medical assistant called me to ask me when I took the test, which made me a little angry, but on well... The doctor has schedule me to come in on Friday  for the results.  He said he may want to talk to me the white blood cells  after viewing the results.   He's said he was thinking about giving me a shot or shots to increase the white blood cell.... ANYONE have any idea what he talking about.... I AM SCARED!!!!!!!!! What kind of shot??????

Someone mention that the white blood cell are important and consider the fighters to protect the body from infections.  Explain what you may think he talking about shots.  Anybody had this happen to them????????

Let me tell you all, I feel fine and about to start a training fitness program in a week for ten weeks.... Will that put a strain on me???  Do I need to rest?  Also starting back to school and working full time.  I guess, these will be some of the questions I will ask my doctor on Friday.   Here we go again..... When I thought I was doing okay.  Hey Eldon, Kevin, and Scott, Teresa, EVERYBODY,  thanks for replying....  I just need to hear others ...sometime!

Oakmax1

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 08:44:20 pm by OakMax1 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.