Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:59:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 348
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "mere blocks away" !!!  (Read 9849 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"mere blocks away" !!!
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:05:17 pm »
Folks,

Today I decided to test my hooves and pranced around a total of thirty blocks -- a bit more than the "mere blocks away" meme but that was partly due to the lengthy detour to Shot Tower Coffee for a machiatto because they're one of the few places with a Strada machine by La Marzocco. It's the Rolls Royce of espresso instruments.

But for the benefit of Mitchypoo, I decided to visually document my day's journey -- the main purpose of which was to replace my tea kettle which fell off the top of my fridge (bad place to store things!) but, naturally, seemed to continually expand to other endeavors:

brr.... actually we had a high of 49℉ which is tropical by Northeastern standards in mid-February. Please note the vintage Cutler & Gross aviators.

A typical street scene in my neighborhood of South Philly. Actually this is a nicer version as most of the hood can appear like a downtrodden shithole.

If you are Jewish and died during the Civil War this is where your corpse ended up. This is about four blocks from my apartment.

If you're an old Italian-American this is where you play bocce, but I guess it was too cold today.

Finally we arrive at Fante's, the best kitchenwares store in the world! Now to find my tea kettle!

And here it is -- isn't it a beauty? It's made of handblown, heat resistant glass and is in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. Owning this makes me feel special, mostly because I know that none of you own it.

Then I go around the corner on my way to procure pastries, and decide to pay quick homage to Benny-Dick and his early retirement.

Now we're at Isgro Italian Pastries -- as you can tell it's over 100 years old. IMO there are two pastry shops in Philadelphia that make stellar cannoli -- Isgro's and Termini Bros, both are in my neighborhood. I usually go to Termini but today I decided to do a taste test. For those of you who aren't aware of the deliciousness of a cannoli -- and they MUST be filled fresh when you order it or the dough gets soggy -- then read this

They had LOTS of other delicious things there today since it's almost Valentine's Day. I was going to buy Guilhermina the heart-shaped cake you see on that pedestal, but reconsidered in light of his very small and rather unsatisfactory testicles.

Then I rounded the corner to the 9th Street Italian Market, which is only half Italian these days because it's half Mexican (and our taquerias are NOT run by Egyptians!)

This is also where you can go to purchase things like Hog Maws. If you're not sure what this is you can utilize Les Googles. Obviously a very popular item as they were all sold out of them and it was only 2 PM.

Next up is my very favorite store in the city: Di Bruno Bros. It's been in the same family for 3 generations, but the younger set that run it now have totally upgraded it in the past five years, and opened a much larger branch downtown. But this is the original one and is kind of out of a movie set. The cheese counter is top notch and they supply to all of the 4-star restaurants in town. They're never snotty though so the service is great. Besides cheese they have tons of pastas, olives, vinegars, olive oil and cured meats.

My last stop was one of the many produce stands that line 9th Street -- needed some flat Italian parsley to put a finish on the Ciriole alla Carbonara which I am modifying with the use of Sicilian aged pepato and buffalo milk butter.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:17:07 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Re: "mere blocks away" !!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 07:13:58 pm »
I was captivated.  Such a vivid local travel presentation.  I felt as if I strolled along with you.

Rick Steves has nothing on you!

:)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:16:18 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 07:29:44 pm »
Enjoyed the pics, and seeing your walk around your neighborhood.  I would like other members to give a pic/video presentation of their city, or a day in the life type thing. 

Btw, I like the scruff.  Do you have trouble with your mustache connecting to your beard?  Mine won't connect. 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:52:39 pm »

Oh please NANCY! That's a bong and you know it!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:18:08 pm »
I'm about to start preparing dinner -- no proper Yank eats before 9 PM unlike Guilhermina who sent me a text at 4:54 PM and was having "supper". PIX 2 FOLLOW NATCH!

ps: just opened a bottle of Tormaresca Primitivo Salento Toricoda
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:36:40 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:55:54 pm »
Would you folks prefer to eat this, or eat Wumpy's faux Texacan dinner?

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:21:04 pm »

Don't play girl - you know you have one that you use to FREEBASE with every weekend.

PS Philicia, that dinner looks simply divine
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 07:47:04 am »
You just need the song of "How to get to Sesame Street" playing in the background.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 08:26:49 am »

Looks like a beaker he stole when he was having his labs done.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:31:41 am »
And I'll have you folks know that this product, and all Chemex products (as I own the brew pot as well!) are MADE IN THE U.S.A. -- and in Yankee Land too! Pittsfield, Massachusetts!

http://chemexcoffeemaker.com/

I will also add, since I'm presently boiling with it for the very first time, that when they make the claim that the handle/spout "remains cool enough for handling" -- that's a lie.

But I'm sure it will make my Nueva Llusta organic Bolivian coffee tasty! I may even run out to the pastry shop.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:36:05 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:38:15 am »

Noodles with butter? Nah, Ill take my delish Authentic Mexican dinner instead. ::)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 09:49:20 am »

That actually looks quite tasty.  What are the herbs?  I regularly have plain pasta with butter (not that faux processed stuff) and load it down with pepper.

I think the carb on that bowl is quite large.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 10:45:26 am »
To make carbonara I do the following:

Have the butcher cut rolled pancetta in 1/2" thick pieces, then cube it yourself at home. One 1/2" piece cubed = one serving for carbonara. Sautee this with finely diced garlic, 2-3 cloves, then set aside. While preparing the pancetta you should be cooking your pasta -- lately I prefer ciriole which is kind of a cross between spaghetti and linguine, but it's hard to find so typical carbonara uses spaghetti noodles. Cook the noodles al dente and drain. Then in a large bowl pour in your noodles, a bit of butter, and some of the cooking water/liquid and stir. Then add grated cheese -- I use pepato but most people generally use a mix of pecorino and parmesan. Then finally add in ground black peppercorn and (this is the key to carbonara) a raw egg -- some prefer just the yolk and some the whole egg. I use the whole egg -- stir everything together and serve, adding chopped flat Italian parsley on top as a garnish.

Once you perfect the process it's actually quick to make -- 15 minutes. Carbonara is basically a Roman version of fast food that you eat on a cold night after getting drunk. But it's totally classic and if you want to know how to make one classic Roman dish this is the one. It's a simple dish, but it's easy to mess up because the last few minutes go quickly and everything is added so that it basically cooks in the large bowl, not on a stove. And it's perfect for making one serving and in that way you might make it three times during one week and perfect your technique, if that makes any sense.

Additional reading click here

As it states: “While in other parts of Italy and the world, garlic, onion, butter or cream are added, in Rome these ingredients are forbidden,” he said. “There are only five permitted ingredients: pasta, guanciale, egg yolk, pecorino Romano and black pepper.”

So you see, my version is a bit modified after years of trying different versions. Guanciale (cured pig cheeks actually!) is harder to find, so I use pancetta which is slightly less fatty. And the cheese I use is similar to pecorino (meaning a semi-hard sheep milk cheese) but pepato has black peppercorns embedded in the cheese, and I have the counter guy grind it for me in a professional machine so it's a very fine grate. And I use the entire egg usually, not just the yolk.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:59:09 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline mitch777

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 08:45:59 am »
Thanks for the great personal tour of your P. P. ! :)
I think I could spend all day in those shops. (especially Di Bruno Bros.) YUM!

Just one correction...
The worlds best kitchen shop is located in Old Saybrook, Connecticut. :)
We buy from Chemex. Wish I had known.

You should design a complete "Tour Philadelphia" website for foodies with commentary and links. Charge the businesses for the advertising.
(at least get payment in the form of gift cards :))
I could do it here in East Haddam, but would only end up with a coupon for a bad meal and an oil change.

Anyway,
It was fun to see 1% of what is only a few mere blocks from you.

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 11:25:50 am »
And I'll have you folks know that this product, and all Chemex products (as I own the brew pot as well!) are MADE IN THE U.S.A. -- and in Yankee Land too! Pittsfield, Massachusetts!

http://chemexcoffeemaker.com/

I will also add, since I'm presently boiling with it for the very first time, that when they make the claim that the handle/spout "remains cool enough for handling" -- that's a lie.

The handle on my Pyrex percolator always remains cool enough for handling:   :)

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 04:25:08 pm »
Thanks for the tour Miss P, the first photo is by far the best... ;)

You are not going to try and outdo Dragon with his photo's in his half naked men posts are you, personally I think yours would be more entertaining if you did decide to do that   ;)

Aroha
Jan :-*
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:30:11 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 06:11:37 pm »
Time for another tour, this time of Walnut Street and Rittenhouse Square area which is two subway stops north of me. This represents one of the most fashionable and expensive areas of the city.

Coming out of the subway we can look up at City Hall and over to the Academy of Music (old symphony hall)

Then I walked a block over to one of my favorite coffee places, Elixr (horribly crowded today!)

Then over to Walnut Street, which is the main upscale shopping area:

View up a side street to the city's tallest building, the Comcast Center

Old Gilded Age Yankee mansion

Then over to Rittenhouse Square, one of four original squares/parks laid out by William Penn.

(sorry Wumpella, no leaves and/or flowers yet)

The Dandelion Pub which I still haven't gone to yet.

Then over to Di Bruno Bros food emporium to buy a couple types of cheese and some other items for dinner.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 06:17:42 pm »
Very nice tour Miss P . I over napped on my friends sofa ... nothing to take pics of here today .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 06:41:06 pm »
Very nice tour Miss P . I over napped on my friends sofa ... nothing to take pics of here today .

Next month when it is warmer maybe I'll do an Independence Hall and surrounding area photo tour. Anything past April and it becomes intolerably full of overweight tourists from Texas.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 06:45:50 pm »
Very nice tour, albeit lacking in flora (nary a leaf did I see). I love the Old Yank Mansion. Although it has nothing on our beloved southern Mansions. Trust.

I did a tour today out to an Enchilada plate and fishbowl margarita. I would post a pic but its basically the same pic Ive posted for the past 3 months.

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 06:49:57 pm »
Very nice tour, albeit lacking in flora (nary a leaf did I see). I love the Old Yank Mansion. Although it has nothing on our beloved southern Mansions. Trust.

Yankees always have a lot more money than poor Southern folk -- so they have a city mansion, then a much larger one outside of the city (ref. Philadelphia's Main Line), then a summer place in Newport.

Trust!

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 07:09:44 pm »
Nice tour.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline mitch777

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 08:59:45 pm »
great tour p.
incredible shots of architecture.
and without any sarcasm in my fingers or mind, it would be interesting to see the seedier parts of philly.

not sure if it would be wise to step foot in those parts of town tho.

maybe when it warms up a bit and spring getsa springin I will give you a bigger tour of the metropolis known as east haddam.

and before you even start...... ::)
it would be NOTHING in comparison to Philadelphia.

(OK, maybe a touch of sarcasm. Oops.) :-[

thanks again for the tour!
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline weasel

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 09:27:44 pm »

Very nice tour  :)

I want carbonara now  !

Weasel

P.S. Always fun to see the city .
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.