Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:10:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 142
Total: 142

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dermavir Patch  (Read 10409 times)

Offline ElZorro

Dermavir Patch
« on: May 15, 2010, 08:51:10 pm »
from: http://www.genengnews.com/industry-updates/genetic-immunity-develops-unique-nanomedicine-formulation-for-dermavir-therapeutic-vaccine-for-hiv-aids/82977316/

We have now also obtained Phase II data showing safety, immunogenicity and viral load reductions when DermaVir is used for initial treatment of HIV-infected individuals. This is the human proof of concept of our topical nanomedicine vaccine technology. It is our belief that DermaVir will become the first nanomedicine vaccine developed to reconstitute HIV-specific immunity with the potential to maintain the health of people living with HIV infection.”

This article also indicates that the company is going into Phase II/III human trials. Can anyone explain how long trials generally take and if there is a place to track what trials are being conducted and what their statuses are?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:54:22 pm by ElZorro »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Dermavir Patch
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 09:40:57 pm »
according to this thread (with links to other threads and info) http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=31553.0 results from phase II won't be in until 2015

just click on the blue search button, and search for "dermavir" for more info. ;)
dermavir has been discussed here for several yrs, since 06 or 07.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:47:43 pm »
Leatherman

Do you know what the normal clinical trial progession is? I read a lot about phase I, II, III, etc, but don't really understand what that means or how one gauges where in the development cycle a protocol is. If phase III results are satisfactory, does the treatment get submitted for FDA approval or are there additional next steps? Also, when they refer to Phase II/III human trials does that mean there were also Phase II/III animal trials?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I just don't get it... :-\

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 11:17:51 pm »
Do you know what the normal clinical trial progession is?
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question
there are no stupid questions  ;) (usually LOL)
however, I have no clue about that ::) :D, so someone else will have to answer
(or you could try googling it up. that's what I'd do if I attempted to give you answer.)  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 07:47:02 am »

Do you know what the normal clinical trial progession is? I read a lot about phase I, II, III, etc, but don't really understand what that means or how one gauges where in the development cycle a protocol is. If phase III results are satisfactory, does the treatment get submitted for FDA approval or are there additional next steps? Also, when they refer to Phase II/III human trials does that mean there were also Phase II/III animal trials?

This thread has some info. on that:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=28494.0

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 11:55:58 am »
I'm not clear as to whether this will be used as an adjunct to HAART,  or a replacement for it.  Anyone know?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 02:04:47 pm »
sounds to me like it's a replacement for HAART.  no?

Offline veritas

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 03:10:04 pm »

It is a replacement for HAART.:

http://www.geneticimmunity.com/GI0401.html

Looks pretty promising!

v

Offline Pepino2

• Facial wasting need not be...Teach PMMA!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 12:34:22 pm »
I am so sceptical.  This company is a family business emanating out of Hungary (Juliana, Zolt and his Wife - all related and holding key management positions)

Why aren't the Big Pharma's in this space, or are they?

When a company has a final product displayed in the form of an immediatley marketable patch that pretends to be able to do away with ART, I get extremely sceptical.

Pepino2

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 12:35:26 pm »
I am so sceptical.  This company is a family business emanating out of Hungary (Juliana, Zolt and his Wife - all related and holding key management positions)

Why aren't the Big Pharma's in this space, or are they?

When a company has a final product displayed in the form of an immediatley marketable patch that pretends to be able to do away with ART, I get extremely sceptical.

Pepino2

Well it's still 4 years away from being marketable right?  I mean it's got to go through some rigorous testing to make it to market yet, so time will tell.

Offline InOurLifetime

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 03:13:14 pm »
The company released additional Phase II data on DermaVir during the recent International AIDS Conference in Vienna.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20100719005463/en/Immunacia%E2%80%99s-Genetic-Immunity-Reports-Phase-II-Data

' In a randomized, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging Phase II study conducted in Hamburg, Germany, thirty-six HIV-infected individuals not yet taking antiretroviral drugs received one of three DermaVir doses or placebo every six weeks. “The treatments were very well-tolerated and CD4+ cell counts did not decrease.” explained the study’s Principle Investigator, Jan van Lunzen, MD of the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Infectious Diseases Unit. “At 24 weeks, the individuals’ HIV viral loads were compared to their baseline values. A statistically significant reduction of 0.5 log10 copies/mL – a 70 percent reduction equivalent to that produced by several anti-HIV drugs – was seen in the cohort receiving 0.4 mg DermaVir vaccinations. Also in this group, HIV gag-specific precursor/memory T cells increased by 97 percent as the viral load decreased, a relationship not seen with the presently available drugs." '

Offline geobee

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 01:34:12 pm »
Here's a PR on the Dermavir patch.  Honestly, I can't make heads or tails of it.  Here's the juicy part (below the link)

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Power-Dream-Ventures-Genetic-Immunity-Announces-Positive-Phase-II-Data-DermaVir-HIV-1425557.htm

In a randomized, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging Phase II study conducted in Hamburg, Germany, thirty-six HIV-infected individuals, not yet taking antiretroviral drugs, received one of three DermaVir doses, or the placebo, every six weeks. "The treatments were very well-tolerated and CD4+ cell counts did not decrease," explained the study's Principle Investigator, Jan van Lunzen, MD of the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Infectious Diseases Unit. "At 24 weeks, the individuals' HIV viral loads were compared to their baseline values. A statistically significant reduction of 0.5 log10 copies/mL, a 70 percent reduction equivalent to that produced by several anti-HIV drugs, was seen in the cohort receiving 0.4 mg DermaVir vaccinations. Also in this group, HIV gag-specific precursor/memory T cells increased by 97 percent as the viral load decreased, a result not seen with antiretroviral drugs. Based upon our study the immune boosting and antiviral activity of DermaVir immunizations may provide a unique treatment approach for people with HIV/AIDS."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.