Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:16:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 664
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 652
Total: 652

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Have you been to JAPAN ?  (Read 23061 times)

Offline DANIELtakashi

Our moderators' work must be tough and l appreciate it.
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2015, 03:25:25 am »
And l am really thankful to Jeff for his kindness and l really appreciate Andy's great advice always to the point and like Joe's appropriate decisions calling a spade a spade.  Hope you will be there until we no longer need this form,  which we are unlikely to see.

Special thanks to Betty, too.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:28:32 am by DANIELtakashi »
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Have you been to JAPAN ?
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2015, 08:23:10 am »
Special thanks to Jeff, Andy, and Joe.
I was observing what was going on on this forum for the past two days and was feeling uneasy not only because of the content but also because of the certain vocabulary used in the communication.   
Now it seems that the issue has been settled.   Thank you.

I am in JAPAN and l am not exposed to the enough amount of the language and sometimes it is not easy for me to handle the certain types of words.  I might be sounding selfish, though.

Yoroshiku.

We have our little spats here now and then but for the most part we all do our best to get along and we all have our good days and bad.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2015, 07:32:59 am »
Thank you, Jeff.
I would prefer to communicate with everyone in the good language

As always.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2015, 03:08:01 am »
I have just heard about  the gun shooting at a church in CHARLESTON .     Our good friend Mikie is living in that city?  Right?  Sorry that it happened.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2015, 09:30:52 am »
It is sad indeed.
The news has been reported here.
Japanese National.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2015, 09:37:54 am »
It is very sad and even more so because it happens with regularity here in America.

This guy was caught on camera and so was his automobile, if he hasn’t already blown his own brains out like so many of these cowards often do he will be caught, either way he will be found and i hope that there will be no more victims or police officers hurt doing their jobs. 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2015, 09:52:50 am »
Hi, Jeff.
Thank you for responding to my posting.
I hope the murderer will be caught soon.

Unfortunately many people here who don't know America well misunderstand that every place there is dangerous because of this type of news.   Sad.  Since l started learning English at the age twelve, the USA has been  the country l have always enjoyed visiting.  I have encountered a few unhappy incidents but that does not stop me from liking the country.  I saw a shooting in Portland Oregon.

I appreciate the presence of the US military in JAPAN, too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 09:55:04 am by DANIELtakashi »
Japanese National.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2015, 10:43:52 am »
Just now from the NYT, they identified the shooter, who lives in Columbia, SC.

"A gunman identified by city and federal law enforcement officials as Dylann Storm Roof, 21, opened fire at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, one of the nation’s oldest black churches, on Wednesday evening, killing nine."

Joe

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2015, 11:47:32 am »
I have just heard about  the gun shooting at a church in CHARLESTON .     Our good friend Mikie is living in that city?
No, I live at the opposite end of the state (Rock Hill is at the NC state line, just south of Charlotte). Charleston is at the southern end of the state (bordering Georgia).

I have met Senator Clementa Pinckney several times. As a Democrat, he has always been an ally for quality HIV health care and HIV prevention in our state. His votes helped to over-ride the Governor's budget veto a few years ago. The approved budget put state funding toward ADAP for four years (this is the last year), which helped to end out ADAP waiting line. In 2010, three South Carolinians died while waiting for assistance to get HIV meds. (isn't that horrifyingly amazing?!?!? Four people (including one from Kentucky) died in America in 2010 because they couldn't get HIV meds.) Our Legislature is very red (Republican), and Senator Pinckney's leadership against the HIV epidemic in our state will be sorely missed.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2015, 06:20:13 am »
Joe,

Is the murderer still at large?
It is really sad that nine lives were lost.
And l have good memories of visiting a gospel church in the south.
I was warmly wecomed by its congregation and the potluck lunch was great.

Leatherman,

Thank you for responding to my posting.
I visited Charlotte in the summer of 1984.   My cousin and her husband were living there at that time.   We visited President James Polk's birthplace.   I took PIEDMONT AIR.   Is it still going?
We also drove to Durham, Raleigh, Elizabeth City  and to Kitty Hawk.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:30:10 am by DANIELtakashi »
Japanese National.

Offline initforlife

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2015, 07:58:25 am »
They caught him yesterday afternoon . I think we will find out more and more about this young man. Seems like he had some issue for many years.
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2015, 08:07:04 am »
Initforlife,

Thank you for the latest news
I am now watching it on CNN, Anderson Cooper.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

チャールストン、 SOUTH CAROLINA
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2015, 08:47:00 am »
もうこれ以上このような悲しいことが起こりませんように。
Never again may such a tragedy happen in the USA !
May the country be safe!
Japanese National.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2015, 08:53:56 am »
もうこれ以上このような悲しいことが起こりませんように。
Never again may such a tragedy happen in the USA !
May the country be safe!

It will happen again very soon and will keep on until the gun laws are changed. This is not a pessimistic statement, it's simply a sad fact.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2015, 08:59:40 am »
Sigh!
😢

Japanese National.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2015, 09:42:58 am »
We visited President James Polk's birthplace.   I took PIEDMONT AIR.   Is it still going?
I live about 5 miles from Polk's birthplace (which is over in Pineville) and about 2 miles from Carowinds, the amusement park on the NC/SC state line on I-77.

Piedmont Air. wow. haven't heard that name in a long time. Piedmont is still kind of there. It got gobbled up by US Airways years ago but still had some Piedmont-branded flights. I think it's about to become "American Eagle" because of a merger with American Airlines

I visited Charlotte in the summer of 1984.
ah. 1984. The year I fell in love with my first long term partner. The year I got my first tattoo (the face from Prince's Purple Rain video). The year I got my first cocker spaniel "Apollonia's Purple Reign". The year I was infected with HIV. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2015, 10:02:11 am »
The year I fell in love with my first long term partner. The year I got my first tattoo (the face from Prince's Purple Rain video). The year I got my first cocker spaniel "Apollonia's Purple Reign". The year I was infected with HIV. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

Hi, leatherman.

That year must have been a good and bad one for you.
Yes,  l remember Prince 's WHEN THE DOVES CRY was a big hit that summer.  Tina Turner, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, too. UNITED AIRLINES was one of the sponsors for the LA OLYMPICS and sold special tickets here in JAPAN.   I purchased a transpacific round ticket and bought a standby coupon valid for one month.  Started my journey from TOKYO to Seattle to cover 16 states. The flight from Pittsburgh to Charlotte was canceled and they put me on a PIEDMONT flight.   Nice memories.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:14:11 am by DANIELtakashi »
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2015, 10:06:12 am »
I don't know whether my memory is correct,   is it Charlotte that had the big amusement park built by the famous religious group?  I am not sure if l can bring up its name here, so l refrain from doing so.
I mean JIM and TAMMY.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:22:45 am by DANIELtakashi »
Japanese National.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2015, 10:47:35 am »
the big amusement park built by the famous religious group?
ah, our "beloved" PTL. It wasn't quite an amusement park as much as a waterpark with a lot of church stuff - and a lot of housing that got filled by crazy-ass Christians (because PTL basically became some sort of a cult). The housing developments still stand but the rest of the PTL property has been dismantled, torn down, or mostly re-purposed - by more crazy Christians. Well everything except that half-completed 9-story apartment building that stands out in the landscape as a landsore that the Fort Mill township has been fighting to have torn down (before it falls down) for several decades.

my brothers tell some great stories of how I used to get us liquor and that they would get drunk (underage drinking for them but the laws back then made it legal for me at 18 to drink/purchase) before we'd go with some friends over to the PTL pool. ROFLMAO
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2015, 10:59:16 am »
Leatherman,

Haha. You have revealed the name!
One time TAMMY FAYE was popular here because of her way of making up her face.
Thank you for the info of that park.

Somebody joked saying that Tammy Faye, Zsa Zsa Gabor, and Leona Helmsley were in the same correction center.
Japanese National.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2015, 02:25:14 am »
Daniel,

I hope you're able to view this video, because I'm interested on your thoughts and knowledge.  If it is blocked there, I will give a good summary.  This comedian/actor wrote a book about relationships, where he did actual research..he says.  He was on The Daily Show to discuss it. 

He said studies show 46% of girls and women age 16-25 (or something like that) say they despise sexual contact.  He said something like 25% of male teens and men that age say the same.  He said the government sees this as a problem and is spending money to try to get young people to socialized and get together more.  I guess that means for procreation.  Although, many wait to have kids until they're 30+, so I am not sure what that's about.

He said he thought since Japan is so cutting-edge on technology, that social apps would be huge there.  But, researchers told him the culture there frowns on posting about yourself and especially posting pics of yourself, because it is considered very narcissistic.  He asked what photo guys would post.  He was told a photo of their rice cooker would be much more common, than a photo of themselves.  He was told many men try to be a "herbivore" guy, which means he's not really interested in women and sex and is interested in other things.  I looked that up and apparently it is real.

Since he's a comedian, many would think he's kidding.  But, he's serious and claims to have interviewed researchers and sociologists there.  I'm curious whether any of this makes sense to you? 

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/kui46m/aziz-ansari

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2015, 03:51:57 am »
Ted,

It is all correct.
Now the younger generations are less interested in having relationships and there are many single people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s.  Young men are becoming less active and are called hervivore boys. 

It is true that we do not like to advertise ourselves.  We are supposed to step back so that we will not stand out in a group. We try to avoid being even just a little boastful. 
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2015, 04:01:51 am »
Ted,

Hervivore boys..草食派男子 soushokuha danshi

Narcissisistic guys...  妖怪ナルナル  yokai naru naru (Monster NARU NARU )

You can see that narcissistic people are considered no less than monsters in this country.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 04:05:02 am by DANIELtakashi »
Japanese National.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2015, 07:25:42 pm »
Ted,

Hervivore boys..草食派男子 soushokuha danshi

Narcissisistic guys...  妖怪ナルナル  yokai naru naru (Monster NARU NARU )

You can see that narcissistic people are considered no less than monsters in this country.

We could use some of that here.  Most of us are guilty to some degree.  I have several friends constantly posting pics of themselves or letting us know they just got done at the gym.  One will pretend he's really posting pics of his dog, but he always happens to be in focus more and with his shirt off..lol. 

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2015, 12:08:35 am »
Ted,

Thank you for your response.

I have watched and read several activists' videos and blogs and have seen some of them are quite full of themselves.  One is always showing his muscles.   Sigh.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

QUESTION of English Grammar
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2015, 09:18:04 am »
I have a favor to ask of to the North American people.
Thank you in advance.
Which of the following sentences sounds more natural to you?

1.  l demanded that they should be quiet in that room.

2.     I demanded that they be quiet in that room.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:21:06 am by DANIELtakashi »
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

posts for soliciting
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2015, 08:25:32 pm »
I sometimes find posts for soliciting in this forum.
I don't understand why they do that without asking the moderators for permission.
That looks even disrespectful  to me.

Sorry l am venting my frustration.
Japanese National.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: posts for soliciting
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2015, 08:40:18 pm »
I sometimes find posts for soliciting in this forum.
I don't understand why they do that without asking the moderators for permission.
That looks even disrespectful  to me.

Sorry l am venting my frustration.

Daniel,

Sometimes folks don't read the Welcome Threads that explain that all studies must be approved by POZ.com  Once they post, all we can do is to refer them to POZ for permission and lock the thread.

Joe

Offline Almost2late

Re: QUESTION of English Grammar
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2015, 09:16:38 pm »
I have a favor to ask of to the North American people.
Thank you in advance.
Which of the following sentences sounds more natural to you?

1.  l demanded that they should be quiet in that room.

2.     I demanded that they be quiet in that room.

Konnichiwa Daniel.. #2. I demanded that they be quiet in that room..  Sounds better to me, but I wouldn't think you were speaking improper if you used #1, but I'm no english teacher  ;)

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2015, 11:05:23 pm »
ALMOST,

Thank you very much.
I have had this question for quite some time.

Thank you , ALMOST ,  it was very kind of you to help me with this.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2015, 11:45:54 pm »
Thank you, Joe.

Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

Mel Brooks' BLAZING SADDLES
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2015, 09:34:21 am »
Today l watched it again - l have watched this comedy dozens of times since the first time in the USA in 1991.  Each time l find this comedy hilarious.  Especially l get a kick out of the song the congregation  sings at the church.

I have brought a lot of stuff here from the USA for the past decades and you know what?
The video tape which l believe only l have in Japan. . . Richard Simmons' SWEATING TO THE OLDIES .   I used it at an aerobics event at work some years ago.    Everybody had a ball.

After finishing the song IT 'S  MY PARTY,  Richard runs up to the young female singer and hugs her.  Then he turns to group, shouting "She is great.  She  is great."in his shrill voice.  It is the scene that made my colleagues laugh until their sides ached.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:55:20 am by DANIELtakashi »
Japanese National.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2015, 07:32:54 pm »
Daniel   your  question   about  language  really opens a big  discussion....American  English is full of  contradictions and  nuances....word  usage  varies  a lot  from place to place..

using a  word  like  "demanded"  would be saved  for  very specific  occasions  in  most  situations  "insisted"   would  be more likely  choice

demand=  powerful and very  strong situation .... very  few occasions  would  require  that  a person  "demand" an action

I  always  enjoyed my  trips to Japan  wish I  had  learned the language  but  was always approached   by the  locals  wanting to speak English....look  forward to  meeting you in Memphis

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline zach

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2016, 03:22:29 pm »
Daniel, we're getting news of more earthquakes over there and haven't heard from you in awhile...

Anata wa bujidesu ka?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.